D1 Mens Lacrosse
FMUBart

Re: Brown 2025

Post by FMUBart »

Not the whole staff, OC to Navy..
Counselor

Post by Counselor »

By my count Brown should have close to 60 on its roster this fall….that’s supposed to breed competition they say….should enable Brown’s aggressive new coaching staff some maneuverability in their new schemes….a far cry from the years of 36/37 during the Tiffany era…..the IL podcasters were extremely positive as to Brown’s prospects under Torpey but postulated that it would have to undertake recruiting strategies not adopted by its Ivy competition ……not sure that’s true as Torpey’s solid and genuine nature should attract the best of the best …..throw in the recent T award winner and there should be those wanting to emulate Wisnauskas up close and personal in the outstanding success he has had in the game….Coach Cawley’s career at Penn State should add some reality to the “Brown State” label that Brown likes to adopt …
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Counselor wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:04 pm By my count Brown should have close to 60 on its roster this fall….that’s supposed to breed competition they say….should enable Brown’s aggressive new coaching staff some maneuverability in their new schemes….a far cry from the years of 36/37 during the Tiffany era…..the IL podcasters were extremely positive as to Brown’s prospects under Torpey but postulated that it would have to undertake recruiting strategies not adopted by its Ivy competition ……not sure that’s true as Torpey’s solid and genuine nature should attract the best of the best …..throw in the recent T award winner and there should be those wanting to emulate Wisnauskas up close and personal in the outstanding success he has had in the game….Coach Cawley’s career at Penn State should add some reality to the “Brown State” label that Brown likes to adopt …
I think there's so much to be excited about for Brown lacrosse and don't think they are somehow disfavored in recruiting as against their Ivy brethren. Brown is a great school beloved by students and alums; this athletic department comes across as very committed to Brown lacrosse; and the Ivy League is still a desirable destination in many lacrosse hotbeds. Torpey seems like an inspired hire and I like the Wisnauskas hire a lot. And what's good for Bruno is good for the Ivy League!
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Fairly young ACs.
Chakey a 2016 grad, has run the coaching tree: HS (or prep), D3, D1

Wianauskas 2022 grad, very young, "only" a volunteer assistant at HPU. He is the AC? Torpey was a D guy as an assistant, right? Going to be a real interesting year.
Bmk2222

Post by Bmk2222 »

bearlaxfan wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 10:41 am Fairly young ACs.
Chakey a 2016 grad, has run the coaching tree: HS (or prep), D3, D1

Wianauskas 2022 grad, very young, "only" a volunteer assistant at HPU. He is the AC? Torpey was a D guy as an assistant, right? Going to be a real interesting year.
As a Terp, I am jealous you guys get Logan! He is young but will bring coach Tilman experience with him too! You are super lucky to have him. He’s also from McDonogh HS, pretty sure the No 1 recruit last year was from there…..
molo

Post by molo »

Logan W. went to BL. Millon went to McDonogh.
Bmk2222

Post by Bmk2222 »

molo wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 6:16 pm Logan W. went to BL. Millon went to McDonogh.
Oh right. BL is no slouch either.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Any word on fallball plans? In the recent past it's been the alumni game & maybe one other. Maybe as new hires they might do more, to evaluate the squad against opponents rather than against intrasquad or alums, or relying on film. How did Torpey do it at HPU?
BrownDad

Post by BrownDad »

bearlaxfan wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:43 am Any word on fallball plans? In the recent past it's been the alumni game & maybe one other. Maybe as new hires they might do more, to evaluate the squad against opponents rather than against intrasquad or alums, or relying on film. How did Torpey do it at HPU?
As of now there is the alumni game on October 12th and a Rutgers scrimmage on October 27th in New Brunswick. That’s all I’ve heard.
camskidamski

Post by camskidamski »

Bruno going back to NJ like last year I hear as well
Counselor

Post by Counselor »

Noticed a very recent commit of a Baden Brown out of Valor Christian in Colorado who played for a Matt Bocklet Team 91 squad ….redesignated to a 2025 and decommited from last fall’s Tufts commitment …player of the year ….an academic brainiac with a lax IQ to match with the discipline and commitment levels sufficient to lead to a Bocklet call to Torpey with the recommendation…..about a 5’9” A so hopefully we can add “crafty” to his description….this makes the second known commit in the Torpey era….approx. 10 2025 recruits lined-up with maybe another 4 spots available ….the 14 in-coming in about a month are all accounted for as far as known …..the October scrimmage with Rutgers should be an eye-opener for the new staff - last year’s was for the old staff…..

Post by 1766 »

camskidamski wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 9:34 am Bruno going back to NJ like last year I hear as well
That's confirmed on the Rutgers side as well. I wouldn't be surprised if this game is moved back to a regular season game in the not too distant future like the two game series the schools had several seasons ago.
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

Fall ball will be interesting for Brown, as my understanding is a fair number of players who got time last year are sitting out the fall semester to maintain eligibility in the spring. Tough spot for a new coach trying to implement a new system and evaluate the roster, good opportunity for 2nd & 3rd year guys who haven't played much to make an impression.
Crazyeights

Post by Crazyeights »

Can you please explain why these students need to take off the fall to play on the spring? Do you mean they aren’t taking classes in the fall? Or just not practicing? Apologies if this is obvious to all of you! Newbie here.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Crazyeights wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 7:20 am Can you please explain why these students need to take off the fall to play on the spring? Do you mean they aren’t taking classes in the fall? Or just not practicing? Apologies if this is obvious to all of you! Newbie here.
If I'm not mistaken, in the Ivy League, you can't have completed all your credits prior to a final season. So, not taking classes and thus also can't practice with team.

With Covid (or medical redshirt), guys have had more total years allowed to do the school time and play ball. But unless it's a graduate work season, you can't have completed your undergrad credits. Due to Covid, they lifted the restriction against being able to be a grad student and play ball, but I'm not sure that's still in effect.

I think this may be the last batch of seniors with any Covid time left...

Someone more up to date?
BrownDad

Post by BrownDad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:05 am
Crazyeights wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 7:20 am Can you please explain why these students need to take off the fall to play on the spring? Do you mean they aren’t taking classes in the fall? Or just not practicing? Apologies if this is obvious to all of you! Newbie here.
If I'm not mistaken, in the Ivy League, you can't have completed all your credits prior to a final season. So, not taking classes and thus also can't practice with team.

With Covid (or medical redshirt), guys have had more total years allowed to do the school time and play ball. But unless it's a graduate work season, you can't have completed your undergrad credits. Due to Covid, they lifted the restriction against being able to be a grad student and play ball, but I'm not sure that's still in effect.

Someone more up to date?
The class of '24 was the last with extra COVID time. To my knowledge you can't be a grad student and compete in any Ivy sport.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

BrownDad wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:10 am

Someone more up to date?
The class of '24 was the last with extra COVID time. To my knowledge you can't be a grad student and compete in any Ivy sport.
yes, that was always the case re grad students, but there was some sort of dispensation during Covid if you could get into a grad program at your own school, not transfer in. Probably expired.

So, if this is going on (no fall ball) with '25 class or others, then medical redshirts perhaps?
camskidamski

Post by camskidamski »

Someone more up to date?
Yes. The Class of 2024 seniors will have one more season and complete their 8th semester in the spring. I hear most of them will be in the area though so maybe they'll be able to practice with each other and still be a part of the team (on the weekends).
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

camskidamski wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:24 am

Someone more up to date?
Yes. The Class of 2024 seniors will have one more season and complete their 8th semester in the spring. I hear most of them will be in the area though so maybe they'll be able to practice with each other and still be a part of the team (on the weekends).
ahh, makes sense and what I'd originally thought was the case.
Should answer for crazyeights.
tmast33

Post by tmast33 »

As a member of the '73 Ivy Championship team and Brown grad, I recall that the curriculum in my days at Brown (I'm not plugged into current requirements because I have no use for the school) was such that if you had passed all your courses and completed your major requirements you had enough credits to graduate after first semester Sr. year. Since the Brown policy at the time required payment for the second semester most students remained on campus and took some courses.
I mention this because the post above leads me to wonder how many lax players at Brown played their Sr. season "illegally" over the years.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”