1. Princeton
2. Cornell
3. ND
4. UMD
5. UVA
Finster

Re: Way too early 2025 top 5

Post by Finster »

Laxitup21 wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 9:43 am After leaning some things on who people are losing (UMD) and others, I am going

1. Princeton
2. Cornell
3. ND
4. UMD
5. UVA

For any Maryland fans here, I just want to know for sure: does Ruppel start in goal next year, or is there someone else? I assume Keethler is the fogo? And is that a concern? He was .615 this year, which isn’t bad, but on only 26 attempts.
Terpslax1991

Post by Terpslax1991 »

Finster wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 8:17 am
JerrysWorld wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 10:55 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 6:53 pm
Finster wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 6:44 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 6:02 pm UNC doesn't belong anywhere near the top 5. They have a lot returning, yes, but they're returning from a team that hasn't been any good in three years. Their rising junior and senior classes have been complete duds. Not seeing a ton of experienced, proven veteran leadership on that team so while their rising soph class is quite talented, that's still a lot of weight on their shoulders. And it's not like they're losing nothing either — McGovern, Tyerar, Geppert, etc. are nontrivial losses. No one is going to be surprised if they're better next year and perhaps back in the playoff mix, but they shouldn't sniff the top 5 or frankly the top 10 just because they have a few promising freshmen returning from a team that stunk. I'm good with them around 12-15.
UNC so far us winning the transfer portal, with significant talent at critical positions:

Michael Gianforcaro (G, Princeton)
Spencer Wirtheim (M, Cornell)
Nick Dupuis (A, Stony Brook)
MAndrew O'Berry (SSDM, Harvard)

Given their returning FOGO, they will absolutely be top-10.
Gianforcaro is the only guy there who moves the needle.

Dupuis seems like a pretty close replacement for McGovern. It is probably not a good sign that there isn't a single attackman on the roster Breschi trusts to start alongside Duffy and Dom Petro. You've gotta bring in a guy from Stony Brook? Their depth is extraordinarily suspect. Certain highly touted recruits have not panned out.

Wirtheim and O'Berry, fine, sure, whatever. Could help a bit. Not seeing the jump from 7-7, three years of mediocrity to suddenly top 10 because Duffy, Petro, and Wambach are a year older. Unlike Maryland, they have not earned any kind of benefit of the doubt.
This is spot on IMO

You fella's are underestimating (by A LOT!) the impact of Wambach; this kid began to excel in late season games. Got better with each game. UNC will get the ball far more often than not next year, allowing the offense to gel and the defense to rest. Wambach got the jump on or tied up Colletti, Naso, Kohn...all the big names at FO. He will do REALLY well next year.

Meanwhile the rest of the ACC is losing significant production...every team.

Top 10. Zero doubt.

Same coach…..
Terpslax1991

Post by Terpslax1991 »

Finster wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 9:54 am
Laxitup21 wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 9:43 am After leaning some things on who people are losing (UMD) and others, I am going

1. Princeton
2. Cornell
3. ND
4. UMD
5. UVA

For any Maryland fans here, I just want to know for sure: does Ruppel start in goal next year, or is there someone else? I assume Keethler is the fogo? And is that a concern? He was .615 this year, which isn’t bad, but on only 26 attempts.
McNaney is back
Terpslax1991

Post by Terpslax1991 »

1. Princeton
2. Cornell
3. ND
4. UMD
5. UVA

Also Creter (RS FR) was the #1 FOGO in HS in 23’. Hopefully one of those guys emerges. Talent is there.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Terpslax1991 wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 10:11 am

1. Princeton
2. Cornell
3. ND
4. UMD
5. UVA
McNaney is back

How is he back? Covid year plus injury year? Would he really want to come back or get going with life?
coda

Post by coda »

Finster wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 10:37 am

1. Princeton
2. Cornell
3. ND
4. UMD
5. UVA
McNaney is back

How is he back? Covid year plus injury year? Would he really want to come back or get going with life?
He was not a strength this year, so I am not sure it is a big deal either way. Depends if he is 2022 McNaney
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

I'm going to be much lower than consensus on Princeton if this trend of top 5 (with some #1s) continues. I like them a lot but a ranking like that tells me you think they are a championship contender. I just don't think they've got the full roster top to bottom for that yet. Very talented offense, might have the best attack in the country next year even with 2/3 sophomores. But they lose Gianforcaro and a ton of SSDMs, and outside of Mackesy on attack there's not a ton of experienced vets who have "been there done that." You need senior/grad student leaders to win a title. Think 2026-2027 will be their time. Going from first-round flameout (and needing to win the Ivy tourney to make the NCAAs at all) to title contender is a leap I don't think they're quite ready to take in a year. I get that they're going to be a trendy pick though, based on how much young talent they return. But I have a sneaking suspicion Cornell will be the team to beat in the Ivy League.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Hop and Cuse should be somewhere in convo. If not in top five at start then just outside
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

1. Princeton
2. Cornell
3. ND
4. UMD
5. UVA
McNaney is back

McNaney gets a Covid year plus redshirt year. He is in a 2 year grad program.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

1. Princeton
2. Cornell
3. ND
4. UMD
5. UVA
McNaney is back

He played in 2021, 2022, and 2024. You get 4 years
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

stupefied wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 10:53 am Hop and Cuse should be somewhere in convo. If not in top five at start then just outside
Cuse has a few areas to address via the portal (if possible) but I think they will be ranked in the top 5 to start. Probably behind Cornell and some combo of Maryland or ND. Offense should be excellent with everyone but Stevens and Mule returning and the addition of Anderson but SSDM, goalie and back up fogo will be major question marks.

Hop will likely be just outside the top 5, probably like 6 or 7.
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 10:48 am I'm going to be much lower than consensus on Princeton if this trend of top 5 (with some #1s) continues. I like them a lot but a ranking like that tells me you think they are a championship contender. I just don't think they've got the full roster top to bottom for that yet. Very talented offense, might have the best attack in the country next year even with 2/3 sophomores. But they lose Gianforcaro and a ton of SSDMs, and outside of Mackesy on attack there's not a ton of experienced vets who have "been there done that." You need senior/grad student leaders to win a title. Think 2026-2027 will be their time. Going from first-round flameout (and needing to win the Ivy tourney to make the NCAAs at all) to title contender is a leap I don't think they're quite ready to take in a year. I get that they're going to be a trendy pick though, based on how much young talent they return. But I have a sneaking suspicion Cornell will be the team to beat in the Ivy League.
Curious what your top 10 looks like?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Powellfan22 wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 12:02 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 10:48 am I'm going to be much lower than consensus on Princeton if this trend of top 5 (with some #1s) continues. I like them a lot but a ranking like that tells me you think they are a championship contender. I just don't think they've got the full roster top to bottom for that yet. Very talented offense, might have the best attack in the country next year even with 2/3 sophomores. But they lose Gianforcaro and a ton of SSDMs, and outside of Mackesy on attack there's not a ton of experienced vets who have "been there done that." You need senior/grad student leaders to win a title. Think 2026-2027 will be their time. Going from first-round flameout (and needing to win the Ivy tourney to make the NCAAs at all) to title contender is a leap I don't think they're quite ready to take in a year. I get that they're going to be a trendy pick though, based on how much young talent they return. But I have a sneaking suspicion Cornell will be the team to beat in the Ivy League.
Curious what your top 10 looks like?
Something like...

1. Notre Dame
2. Cornell
3. Maryland
4. Syracuse
5. Johns Hopkins
6. Princeton
7. Virginia
8. Georgetown
9. Duke
10. Penn State

Yale and Michigan would be next up.

I fully expect Hopkins to end up in the 6-8 range, so I'm probably showing my bias by putting them 5. But bringing in the Yale middies and getting English back from injury are huge. I suspect Melendez will resemble his 2023 self more than the 2024 version.

I don't think Maryland top 3 is defensible based solely on personnel, but I'm basically not putting a Tillman team much lower than that unless there is really, really good reason to do so.

I'm also not a "defending champ should automatically be next year's #1" person, but ND brings enough back (including the best Kavanagh) and there isn't another obvious candidate to take their spot. It's quite possible they're still the best team in the country next year and that has nothing to do with having won the title this year.

Really like Cornell. They bring so much back and are going to have a chip on their shoulder from not making the tournament. Very banged up on D this year so in theory that side of the field should be better (can't be much worse). Also get their FOGO back from injury although TBD if he can be as effective.

I'd be fine with UVA a few spots higher. Like Maryland they've earned the benefit of the doubt, even though they're losing the best player in program history (along with Kastner) and have midfield issues they need to sort out.

I can't put Duke any higher based on how much they lose, but I do think it's possible O'Neill's absence forces them to be more creative on offense and ends up being a net positive. They've got so many high-end recruits either coming in or waiting in the wings. I can't see them falling too too far. Do think they're clearly #4 in the ACC barring some major transfer developments.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

JeremyCuse wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 11:40 am
stupefied wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 10:53 am Hop and Cuse should be somewhere in convo. If not in top five at start then just outside
Cuse has a few areas to address via the portal (if possible) but I think they will be ranked in the top 5 to start. Probably behind Cornell and some combo of Maryland or ND. Offense should be excellent with everyone but Stevens and Mule returning and the addition of Anderson but SSDM, goalie and back up fogo will be major question marks.

Is English confirmed coming back?
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

BigTurn wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 12:20 pm

Is English confirmed coming back?
Yes, barring something unforeseen.
Finster

Post by Finster »

jrn19 wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 11:39 am

1. Princeton
2. Cornell
3. ND
4. UMD
5. UVA
McNaney is back
He played in 2021, 2022, and 2024. You get 4 years

I see that now. He got a game or two in ‘23, but definitely not half a season.

If I’m Maryland, I hate to say this, but it’s time to move on. That was a dreadful performance in the championship game. I realize ND had great looks, but you have to stop at least one shot in a half.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Agree with everything here
coda

Post by coda »

I am going to buck the trend in on Maryland. I don’t see a top 5 team there. They rode about 70% faceoff clip to make this run. Weirman and Ajax are not replaceable.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

coda wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 1:14 pm I am going to buck the trend in on Maryland. I don’t see a top 5 team there. They rode about 70% faceoff clip to make this run. Weirman and Ajax are not replaceable.
Agree. Until they have someone who can actually beat their man in settled 6v6, they’re in bad shape. Their first 3 goals yesterday were off ND ball watching, and an unsettle sub off a face off. Add a man up to that for the 4th. Not great.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”