Loyola University Greyhounds 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Loyola University Greyhounds 2025

Post by Farfromgeneva »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 10:15 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 12:03 am Was looking at season results recently. Short of but not really surprised Cottle had a better win % at Loyola (.721, 181-70) than Toomey does today (.646, 184-101). Toomey has written his place there but always surprised at dismissive so many are of Cottle time at Loyola. (And his time at MD but it’s MD fans, basically Hop fans in training culturally in this sport)

Everyone bugged out at questioning the conclusion that MVA was the problem but while he’s had tremendous success including a national title you’ve also got a lot of season (7) within 1 game of .500 either way (form 7-8 to 8-7 or that record margin). Since Spencer left it’s 38-32.

The are looks like a few others I’ve seen incl to a degree Urick, Cannella and Meade.

So one can refuse to consider all aspects to the relative disappointment of this decade so far and pound the table that bouncing MVA will solve all your problems. Or maybe not moving anyone out but recognizing it for what it is and see if there are tweaks to process, phioshopy, etc that should be made from the captain of the ship.
Dave Cottle's record was phenomenal. He put Loyola on the map. He built the program into a regular top 10 program (at the time).
He always had us ready on Day 1 of the regular season. His issues were the second season.

The scout is out on Loyola offensively. MVA's offenses at UVA and Loyola have always been based around having an alpha to initiate.
We haven't had success lately. So we either don't have the alphas or the wrong offense. You decide.
But to be honest with you, my strong belief is that Loyola underperformed during the Spencer years under MVA.
My opinion is that Loyola needs some fresh coaching eyes on offense. My guess is that Sean Cottle will be put over to the offensive side to help. But I think his main value right now is more from a recruiting perspective.
I’ve always been open to MVA not having his stuff anymore but a lot of these arguments were silly and I do wonder if Charlie may have peaked in his career as many do before riding out lesser years in the back end. It was just too easy to point at MVA and avoid even questioning if maybe it’s just that time in the cycle for Charlie as a HOF HC. The sheer refusal to consider that seemingly is what has me.

Clearly trying Poitras at Attack was a mistake
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
kramerica.inc

Re: Loyola University Greyhounds 2025

Post by kramerica.inc »

Loyola's contributing alumni base is strong. And they are tight with Toomey. Many are his peers. I don't see those guys taking a shot at Toomey. This ain't Navy. IMO, the job is Toomey's until he doesn't want it.

I'd also argue with the contention batted around here that Toomey has lost his drive or connection with the players. I don't see that.

My only thought is that he needs to cycle more new blood through the program in assistant coaching roles. Hopefully that's the goal with the new position for young Cottle.

Let the man get involved, make his mark, and and move on to bigger things. Find someone else new. That is the sign of a healthy program.

To put what I'm talking about into perspective, Cottle and Toomey have now been at Loyola for the same amount of time - 19 years.

Loyola was always a "proving grounds" for young coaches under Dave Cottle and IMO it kept ideas fresh - His assistants generally all moved on to head coaching and prominent roles elsewhere- Petro, Brecht, Billy Dwan, Chris Colbeck, Dirg, Stan Ross, JB Clark, Dave Metzbower, Bobby Benson. I know there were a lot more.

Who have been the assistant coaches under Toomey? MVA, Matt Dwan, Vaikness, Chemotti, Moran. And now young Cottle. Who am I missing?

Great for stability, which is worth something. But not a lot of new perspective.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”