Re: Tewaaraton Award 2024

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Finster wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:45 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:04 pm
blue angels wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:39 pm
coda wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:19 pm
blue angels wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:09 pm
coda wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
TurfToeVictim wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:23 am May be a hot take but I believe we could see McCabe Millon as a finalist this year if he keeps it up, his daddy will for sure take him places.
I doubt it. It would so pain me to see the Millon's on that stage. Seeing his Dad coach on club fields was enough for me. I cant think of a worst representative for the game
Of course, it's an absurd take and reliably not from any Virginia supporters. So you take it out on the kid because you hate the Dad???? It amazes me at some of these posts from more of the Millon family haters. I don't know what the source of the enmity is to even post something like that or the pre season overrated posts we saw here. Maybe, look in the mirror.........Virginia is happy to have Millon, & he exceeded expectations in his 1st game, but it was just 1 game. He might be their 4th option on offense at best.
I didnt say anything about the kid, just the dad. You can get upset about it, but if you ask around you will find it is not an opinion without merit.
I am not upset, just incredulous. Your quote was, "It would pain me to see the Millon's on that stage" crystal clear you included the kid so clearly a hater post. The Dad isn't playing, nor is he telling Lars what to do with the level of talent in that program.
Agreed. Very uncool.

That said, haters gonna hate.
shake it off

I also agree that one game by a freshman, indeed probably the 4th top offensive weapon, is irrelevant, though for UVA fans certainly a welcome addition to the potential firepower of the team. And indeed the father will have zippo influence on anything at this level, if he ever did.

My only concern re McCabe was pulling that penalty after the cheap shot he took. I liked him being willing to stand up for himself and I appreciate the fire in the belly, but I preferred his teammate Shelley doing the talking with the opponent right away. Gotta keep your cool...but that's a learning opportunity...

The context, of course, was the comment made by the opposing coach about ACC lacrosse, implying soft "pretty boys" in ACC...and then the cheap shot hit way after release of the ball including to the head...

My son has an interesting take, he thinks refs at the college level should not penalize words said between players, they should only be involved if there's some actual danger to someone's health. Interesting perspective, as indeed the jawing is regularly quite intense and if refs were penalizing every expletive there'd be an awful lot of penalties. Different thread topic, but I kinda agree. Focus on safety.

I’m wondering if folks caught the Taylor Swift lyrics above? MD’s got a blank space, baby. And he’ll write your name
:D
well some folks are in the BeyHive others are Swifties; I can appreciate both these gals. so, I'm just gonna be friends...
Finster

Post by Finster »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:51 pm
Finster wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:45 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:04 pm
blue angels wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:39 pm
coda wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:19 pm
blue angels wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:09 pm
coda wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
TurfToeVictim wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:23 am May be a hot take but I believe we could see McCabe Millon as a finalist this year if he keeps it up, his daddy will for sure take him places.
I doubt it. It would so pain me to see the Millon's on that stage. Seeing his Dad coach on club fields was enough for me. I cant think of a worst representative for the game
Of course, it's an absurd take and reliably not from any Virginia supporters. So you take it out on the kid because you hate the Dad???? It amazes me at some of these posts from more of the Millon family haters. I don't know what the source of the enmity is to even post something like that or the pre season overrated posts we saw here. Maybe, look in the mirror.........Virginia is happy to have Millon, & he exceeded expectations in his 1st game, but it was just 1 game. He might be their 4th option on offense at best.
I didnt say anything about the kid, just the dad. You can get upset about it, but if you ask around you will find it is not an opinion without merit.
I am not upset, just incredulous. Your quote was, "It would pain me to see the Millon's on that stage" crystal clear you included the kid so clearly a hater post. The Dad isn't playing, nor is he telling Lars what to do with the level of talent in that program.
Agreed. Very uncool.

That said, haters gonna hate.
shake it off

I also agree that one game by a freshman, indeed probably the 4th top offensive weapon, is irrelevant, though for UVA fans certainly a welcome addition to the potential firepower of the team. And indeed the father will have zippo influence on anything at this level, if he ever did.

My only concern re McCabe was pulling that penalty after the cheap shot he took. I liked him being willing to stand up for himself and I appreciate the fire in the belly, but I preferred his teammate Shelley doing the talking with the opponent right away. Gotta keep your cool...but that's a learning opportunity...

The context, of course, was the comment made by the opposing coach about ACC lacrosse, implying soft "pretty boys" in ACC...and then the cheap shot hit way after release of the ball including to the head...

My son has an interesting take, he thinks refs at the college level should not penalize words said between players, they should only be involved if there's some actual danger to someone's health. Interesting perspective, as indeed the jawing is regularly quite intense and if refs were penalizing every expletive there'd be an awful lot of penalties. Different thread topic, but I kinda agree. Focus on safety.
I’m wondering if folks caught the Taylor Swift lyrics above? MD’s got a blank space, baby. And he’ll write your name
:D
well some folks are in the BeyHive others are Swifties; I can appreciate both these gals. so, I'm just gonna be friends...

Probably smart. You never know!
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Ezra White wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:41 pm I suppose the Tewaaraton Award has published criteria somewhere. But as others have pointed out, it generally goes to an attackman. Even more narrowly, it goes to someone who piles up goals, or at least goals + assists.

Yet anyone who's played the game know that its beauty lies in all the pieces that fit together to make a winning team. A great GK or defender can make a bigger contribution than an attacker. (Defender Gavin Adler illustrated this point last year, when he was the #1 pick in the draft.)

Even if we concede that the award will go to an attackman, exactly how should we evaluate the player's contribution to their team? I recall that when Jeff Teat played at Cornell, coaches would adopt a SOT (Shut-Off-Teat) strategy of shadowing him all game, man-to-man, with a top defender. Unfortunately, the strategy sometimes worked. But what if it didn't? Suppose instead, that SOT resulted in Cornell winning by a margin 15% smaller, but winning nonetheless. Teat's presence would still give his team a tremendous advantage, although his individual statistics would be less spectacular. But if a player has this kind of impact on the game, shouldn't they be a top candidate for the Tewy?
I think the criteria are far worse than you describe. The award doesn't go to the best player in the country, or even the best attackman. It goes to the attackman whose team advances the farthest in the tournament. If UVA won the title last season and Schellenberger had a big tournament and Duke lost early, or if Cornell made it to the final four and Duke lost in the first round, I would bet Schellenberger or Kirst win the award over O'Neill. Kirst and O'Neill had similar stats last season and the discussion going into the tourney was that the award would go to the player whose team went further. So the award is based on team accomplishments at times (unless a player was so dominant that it can't be ignored - such as Lyle Thompson).

I always thought factoring in the post season was wrong. A player should not be penalized or rewarded for an individual award just because he plays with superior or inferior teammates or his team over or under performs. The tournament MVP award should recognize the best post season player. The Tewaaraton should be a regular season award.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Chousnake wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:05 pm
Ezra White wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:41 pm I suppose the Tewaaraton Award has published criteria somewhere. But as others have pointed out, it generally goes to an attackman. Even more narrowly, it goes to someone who piles up goals, or at least goals + assists.

Yet anyone who's played the game know that its beauty lies in all the pieces that fit together to make a winning team. A great GK or defender can make a bigger contribution than an attacker. (Defender Gavin Adler illustrated this point last year, when he was the #1 pick in the draft.)

Even if we concede that the award will go to an attackman, exactly how should we evaluate the player's contribution to their team? I recall that when Jeff Teat played at Cornell, coaches would adopt a SOT (Shut-Off-Teat) strategy of shadowing him all game, man-to-man, with a top defender. Unfortunately, the strategy sometimes worked. But what if it didn't? Suppose instead, that SOT resulted in Cornell winning by a margin 15% smaller, but winning nonetheless. Teat's presence would still give his team a tremendous advantage, although his individual statistics would be less spectacular. But if a player has this kind of impact on the game, shouldn't they be a top candidate for the Tewy?
I think the criteria are far worse than you describe. The award doesn't go to the best player in the country, or even the best attackman. It goes to the attackman whose team advances the farthest in the tournament. If UVA won the title last season and Schellenberger had a big tournament and Duke lost early, or if Cornell made it to the final four and Duke lost in the first round, I would bet Schellenberger or Kirst win the award over O'Neill. Kirst and O'Neill had similar stats last season and the discussion going into the tourney was that the award would go to the player whose team went further. So the award is based on team accomplishments at times (unless a player was so dominant that it can't be ignored - such as Lyle Thompson).

I always thought factoring in the post season was wrong. A player should not be penalized or rewarded for an individual award just because he plays with superior or inferior teammates or his team over or under performs. The tournament MVP award should recognize the best post season player. The Tewaaraton should be a regular season award.

Pat Spencer won the Tewey, and Loyola didn’t get far in the tournament.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

They made a Final Four with Spencer.
Finster

Post by Finster »

10stone5 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:52 pm They made a Final Four with Spencer.

Not the year he won it though.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Finster wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:54 pm
I see your point, now.

I figured last year to be the year they break the mold, with someone other than an attackman winning - Adler for instance,

but it wasn't to be.
Finster

Post by Finster »

10stone5 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:01 pm
Finster wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:54 pm
I see your point, now.

I figured last year to be the year they break the mold, with someone other than an attackman winning - Adler for instance,

but it wasn't to be.

Yup. I hate the hype that some attack get (O’Neill, Spallina), because it generates self fulfilling prophecies when it comes to the Tewaaraton.

Keep your eye on Entenmann this year. He’s got a decent shot at breaking the vice grip on the award by attackmen. It’s a long long shot, but I’d expect a goalie to win before a defender.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

The Tewaaraton was first awarded 2001, but before that, the Enners was the major award, and was once more willing to recognize non-attackmen.
The last goalie recognized was Tillman Johnson in 2003.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

44WeWantMore wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:07 am The Tewaaraton was first awarded 2001, but before that, the Enners was the major award, and was once more willing to recognize non-attackmen.
The last goalie recognized was Tillman Johnson in 2003.
Some of us still think the Enners matters most.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

My current Tewy Standings:
1. Shellenberger
2. O'Neil
3. Spallina
4. Kirst
5. Malone
6. Brandau
7. Cormier
8. Mark
9. Kavanaugh
10. Fracyon

Gobigred
Joewillie78
lorin

Post by lorin »

joewillie78 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:47 pm My current Tewy Standings:
1. Shellenberger
2. O'Neil
3. Spallina
4. Kirst
5. Malone
6. Brandau
7. Cormier
8. Mark
9. Kavanaugh
10. Fracyon

Gobigred
Joewillie78
OMG it base on the 2024 season not, ONeil is not in top 10 in any category PPG, GPG, APG, Spallina can’t score a goal against anyone good.

Brandau
Kirst
Shelley
Malone
Collette
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

lorin wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:44 am
1. Shellenberger
2. O'Neil
3. Spallina
4. Kirst
5. Malone
6. Brandau
7. Cormier
8. Mark
9. Kavanaugh
10. Fracyon

Gobigred
Joewillie78
OMG it base on the 2024 season not, ONeil is not in top 10 in any category PPG, GPG, APG, Spallina can’t score a goal against anyone good.

Brandau
Kirst
Shelley
Malone
Collette
I agree, but you know as well as I do that the media, talking heads etc. will be hyping the defending winner, and he will be in the final mix.

Watching your top 2 LIVE yesterday, was a lacrosse fans treat, as both did all they could to carry their team to victory. Both were monsters yesterday.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Finster

Post by Finster »

joewillie78 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:25 am
1. Shellenberger
2. O'Neil
3. Spallina
4. Kirst
5. Malone
6. Brandau
7. Cormier
8. Mark
9. Kavanaugh
10. Fracyon

Gobigred
Joewillie78

Brandau
Kirst
Shelley
Malone
Collette
I agree, but you know as well as I do that the media, talking heads etc. will be hyping the defending winner, and he will be in the final mix.

Watching your top 2 LIVE yesterday, was a lacrosse fans treat, as both did all they could to carry their team to victory. Both were monsters yesterday.

Gobigred
Joewillie78

I also agree with both of you. The list that Lorin made is accurate. My sentimental favorite is Shellenberger since I feel like he got shafted last year.

One asterisk. I’d add Albany’s Jake Piseno. Leading the division in CTO’s.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Finster wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:41 am
joewillie78 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:25 am
1. Shellenberger
2. O'Neil
3. Spallina
4. Kirst
5. Malone
6. Brandau
7. Cormier
8. Mark
9. Kavanaugh
10. Fracyon

Gobigred
Joewillie78

Brandau
Kirst
Shelley
Malone
Collette

Gobigred
Joewillie78

I also agree with both of you. The list that Lorin made is accurate. My sentimental favorite is Shellenberger since I feel like he got shafted last year.

One asterisk. I’d add Albany’s Jake Piseno. Leading the division in CTO’s.
The pole at Lehigh will get recognition before Pisano i guarantee
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Shellenberger, Malone, and Brandau are my top three right now and I don't think it's all that close. Combination of talent, production, and importance to their respective teams.

O'Neill is basically out of the running until further notice. I'm not even sure he's the best player on his own team this season.

Kirst had been uncharacteristically quiet prior to this weekend's game. He can make a run, but he's got some ground to make up, IMO. Especially because both he and his team were outplayed by Malone + PSU when those two teams met head-to-head.
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

Kirst did score 7 goals vs. OSU
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

laxjuris wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:38 am Kirst did score 7 goals vs. OSU
...and the ESPNU announcers would tell us that the Kavanaughs' ride is worth a thousand goals.
JayBlue

Post by JayBlue »

I honestly think Scott Smith from JHU should be a top contender.
He stands out.
Suitcase

Post by Suitcase »

If award was for best player , entenman and zappitello also very high on list imo. They are game changers .

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”