CNU 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
zonedef

Re: CNU 2024

Post by zonedef »

Well CNU/SU are public schools so it’s never going to happen. CNU is also getting to the point where they are recruiting on their success, I don’t see them falling off anytime soon, the 2024 recruits are coming from good private and higher end public schools.

Any guesses on the next ODAC program to fold??
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

aroundtheoutside wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:03 pm
laxdad1434 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:51 pm
aroundtheoutside wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:59 pm
laxdad1434 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:21 pm
aroundtheoutside wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:18 pm
laxdad1434 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:45 am
aroundtheoutside wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:22 am
MarionBarry wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:24 pm CNU will right the ship tomorrow vs. OWU.
This is not your father's OWU. Did coach Thompson schedule this the day after stevenson as a prep for the Mustang classic and ncaa playoffs? The reason I ask is because CNU is going to run circles around the bishops and I don't think it will be much of a game.
Yeah I think this double header and the mustang classic are both prep for the back to back QF/Final four weekend in the NCAA's. I don't mind the scheduling as they work out the kinks before the schedule ramps up against Tufts and Dickinson in the next few weeks.

My biggest qualm with the schedule is how many cream puffs are in the CLC. Would love to see CNU in a conference like the ODAC or Centennial.
Didn't UMW, the team picked to finish last in the CLC, just beat an ODAC team yesterday? I believe they're 2-2 against ODAC teams.
The bottom of CLC vs the bottom of ODAC or anywhere else is kind of moot to me. The top and middle are what I'm talking about. Lynchburg, W&L, HSC, Roanoke and RMC all range from either great teams to at least meaningful competition. Granted, CNU already plays those teams each year, but the middle of the CLC is several rungs beneath the middle of the ODAC and many other conferences. If CNU could swap half their CLC cakewalks for more quality matchups it could create a more even experience throughout the season vs. what we have now, which is a handful of whales interspersed with a handful of shrimp.
Nice backpedal...WMW lost to Roanoke by 1 goal, and was up going into the 4th.

If you swapped out Kean, Stockton, MSU, UMW with HSC, Roanoke, RMC, any 4th team from ODAC. The CLC results would be the same, SU/CNU would win every game. Conversely, the CLC teams would have a much better chance to pick off any top team from the ODAC.

You have a little bit of the NESCACian delusion syndrome going on, you might want to see a doctor about that.
Of course the results would be the same. We're talking about two teams that are firmly in the top 4 in the nation with a significant dropoff after that. I'm just saying it'd be nice if Salisbury and CNU had some conference foes (other than one another) that could at least put up a fight and give them a decent game.
Heh? "My biggest qualm with the schedule is how many cream puffs are in the CLC. Would love to see CNU in a conference like the ODAC or Centennial" If the results would be the same, what was your point? SU/CNU beat the crap out of everybody, in or out of conference.

It's no different in any other top conference, that's why the the top teams in those conferences play tough OOC games.
Again. The point isn't that I want to see SU or CNU lose more. It's that it'd be nice to see more conference games that are actual tests rather than a bunch of cakewalks. How many ranked teams are there in the NESCAC, the Liberty and the Centennial? If its more than 2, that means those conferences are more rigorous than the CLC. I don't know why this is a debate.
It means their OOC is more rigorous.
Laxaholic123

Post by Laxaholic123 »

aroundtheoutside wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:03 pm Again. The point isn't that I want to see SU or CNU lose more. It's that it'd be nice to see more conference games that are actual tests rather than a bunch of cakewalks. How many ranked teams are there in the NESCAC, the Liberty and the Centennial? If its more than 2, that means those conferences are more rigorous than the CLC. I don't know why this is a debate.
If CNU was in the ODAC (Which they won't be because they are a public school) then they would have to play closer to 8 or 9 games where they just kill the other team rather then 4 in the CLC. With only playing 4 poopy teams in the CLC, they can then put together a more competitive OOC where they are playing better teams. CNU is playing HSC, W&L, and Lynchburg without having to play all of the poopy teams in the ODAC.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

Laxaholic123 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:23 pm
aroundtheoutside wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:03 pm Again. The point isn't that I want to see SU or CNU lose more. It's that it'd be nice to see more conference games that are actual tests rather than a bunch of cakewalks. How many ranked teams are there in the NESCAC, the Liberty and the Centennial? If its more than 2, that means those conferences are more rigorous than the CLC. I don't know why this is a debate.
If CNU was in the ODAC (Which they won't be because they are a public school) then they would have to play closer to 8 or 9 games where they just kill the other team rather then 4 in the CLC. With only playing 4 poopy teams in the CLC, they can then put together a more competitive OOC where they are playing better teams. CNU is playing HSC, W&L, and Lynchburg without having to play all of the poopy teams in the ODAC.
EVERY conference is top heavy.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

I believe that he is saying that the ODAC is deeper after the top 2 than the CLC and early indications shows that he could be right as UMW has played 4 ODAC teams and lost to teams that will likely be in the 4-6 range while beating teams below that. MSU and Stockton and wins but how impressive were they a Lean got rock by a team that needed OT to beat the worst team in the NESCAC
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

Giddy waiting the for Tufts match-up over here. I'm sure your Captains aren't looking past Grove City, but I am!
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

Looking ahead to the CNU - Tufts game and I started to wonder how the lack of a scout on Tufts is going to affect CNU.

Tufts lost a ton of firepower from last year so they will have a lot of new faces that CNU has little to no film on. I also don’t expect the Jumbos to throw the kitchen sink at Conn College in their first game so the Captains will be going into this game with minimal idea of what Tufts will run on offense, EMO, clear, etc…

On the other hand, CNU will be going into their 6th game so they have had time to knock off the off-season rust while also figuring out what is working and what isn’t. Tufts will only be 4 days removed from their first game.

Curious what other people think.
Devil4Life

Post by Devil4Life »

Both teams are very talented and it should a great contest. Very little separates these top teams. Surprised Tufts had such a slow start vs Salisbury. Looking forward to watching the teams compete at Mustang Classic. For the record, Mikey Thompson is a D-1 coach who loves his job and lifestyle - lucky for CNU.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

Devil4Life wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:41 pm For the record, Mikey Thompson is a D-1 coach who loves his job and lifestyle - lucky for CNU.
what does even mean? that he played D1, and is now a D3 coach?

or do you know something about him leaving CNU to go coach a D1 team?
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

Laxguy703 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:27 pm Looking ahead to the CNU - Tufts game and I started to wonder how the lack of a scout on Tufts is going to affect CNU.

Tufts lost a ton of firepower from last year so they will have a lot of new faces that CNU has little to no film on. I also don’t expect the Jumbos to throw the kitchen sink at Conn College in their first game so the Captains will be going into this game with minimal idea of what Tufts will run on offense, EMO, clear, etc…

On the other hand, CNU will be going into their 6th game so they have had time to knock off the off-season rust while also figuring out what is working and what isn’t. Tufts will only be 4 days removed from their first game.

I have seen several live games for both teams over the past two years. From SU game, Tufts never got the Gulls off balance, especially in the beginning of the game which is typically when the Jumbos would get an advantage and start to separate. Removing that onslaught feature was key.

CNU can get organized quickly on offense and score quickly with fast ball movement finding shooters in good places. If Tufts keeps their ride and chaos machine in place the Captains may have a tougher time getting organized, or will at least get their offense going much deeper into the shot clock.

Christmas is coming. He has been better each season, and could be an absolute unstoppable dodger this year, not because he has a great change of direction. I have to think he will be a main offensive feature.

Cabaniss at the dot could prove the biggest problem for Tufts, deflating the chaos and turnovers Tufts relies on.

If the game turns into a settled 6v6 then advantage Captains, but if it becomes a run and gun game the advantage Tufts.
poster formerly know as "wherestheslide"
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

tufts losing such a dominant fogo and cnu having a dominant fogo will give the advantage to cnu
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

Laxattackjack wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:03 pm tufts losing such a dominant fogo and cnu having a dominant fogo will give the advantage to cnu
Vic Salcedo will battle, but yes Cabaniss is crazy good.
poster formerly know as "wherestheslide"
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

Laxattackjack wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:30 pm
Devil4Life wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:41 pm For the record, Mikey Thompson is a D-1 coach who loves his job and lifestyle - lucky for CNU.

I took it to mean, that like other top flight coaches in DIII, he is fulfilled by more than just the ambition to coach at the highest collegiate level. That he could, if he chose to, pursue a higher profile coaching opportunity, but instead he is enjoying the relative balance this level provides.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

Laxguy703 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:27 pm Looking ahead to the CNU - Tufts game and I started to wonder how the lack of a scout on Tufts is going to affect CNU.

Tufts, as always, will run its offense, press on rides, and play aggressive defense. Whatever it does v CC will be what it does v CNU. This isn't the playoffs. Good luck to CNU. I'll be at the game rooting for the Jumbos (until my 9 pm hockey game).

Added: Tough to win on Bello on a Tuesday night.
Devil4Life

Post by Devil4Life »

MVPiccoli wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:00 pm

I took it to mean, that like other top flight coaches in DIII, he is fulfilled by more than just the ambition to coach at the highest collegiate level. That he could, if he chose to, pursue a higher profile coaching opportunity, but instead he is enjoying the relative balance this level provides.
Exactly. He could coach D-1 if he wanted to but likes where he is.
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

Devil4Life wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:47 pm
MVPiccoli wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:00 pm

Exactly. He could coach D-1 if he wanted to but likes where he is.
8 Commits on the pre-season DMV HM list. Don't think CNU is expecting a drop off..
aroundtheoutside

Post by aroundtheoutside »

Fun game against Grove City today. Tons of action, lots of runs, very up and down.

Grove City is a tough squad. They have some slickness on offense, they scrapped hard between the lines. Their zone D slowed CNU down a bit in the first half, and their man down defense stood up strong. The game was a bit chaotic which I think helped Grove City level the playing field a bit. Overall, this is a good team that could grab an upset against someone in the top ten on the right day. Their biggest issue was a lack of discipline--lots of penalties committed and lots of unforced turnovers. If they can clean those things up, they'll be a force to be reckoned with.

As for CNU...
-A quieter day from Cook (1 G, 4 A), but Auslander popped with three goals, and Miller continues to step up as more of a scoring threat. This is encouraging for a team that looked like they stalled out whenever Cook was bottled up last season.
-This LSM group is unbelievable. Excellent defenders and it seems like a different one scores a goal every game. The announcers mentioned that Coach MT runs four or five LSM's regularly? Wow.
-Overall, CNU has a ton of individual talent on defense. They almost never get beat 1 on 1. They rack up takeaways. But as a unit, it seems they still haven't developed cohesion. Still too many goals given up by skip passes or feeds to the crease. I'd expect this to improve throughout the season.
-Not a bad outing, but still a bit of a head scratcher as to why the Captains just can't seem to fully dominate an inferior opponent. They seem to 'play down' to some degree and let teams hang around. This was the same last season, and they were still able to 'play up' against higher-tier opponents. Hopefully they can do that again this year. We'll find out this week when the schedule heats up with Tufts.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

The circus doesn’t come to town very often and you better not miss it. I’ve been on the CNU wagon now for 3 years. If they don’t win it this year they might never which is a long time. You will never have, (because of the 5th year players ) as many experienced players ever again. With what they have brought back they’ve been underwhelming. They don’t bring back just roster guys but AA types and player of the year types. They do not look like a superior team to date. I thought they’d go wire to wire undefeated. Maybe they think they can turn it on when it matters. Tufts and Dickinson will give them a fight, both of which are down from last year. CNU has brought everyone back. With only 1 game under their belt Tufts is at a disadvantage, CNU has had FIVE, this is it, a must win game if they are what I think they are. Can’t wait to see this one
aroundtheoutside

Post by aroundtheoutside »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:18 pm The circus doesn’t come to town very often and you better not miss it. I’ve been on the CNU wagon now for 3 years. If they don’t win it this year they might never which is a long time. You will never have, (because of the 5th year players ) as many experienced players ever again. With what they have brought back they’ve been underwhelming. They don’t bring back just roster guys but AA types and player of the year types. They do not look like a superior team to date. I thought they’d go wire to wire undefeated. Maybe they think they can turn it on when it matters. Tufts and Dickinson will give them a fight, both of which are down from last year. CNU has brought everyone back. With only 1 game under their belt Tufts is at a disadvantage, CNU has had FIVE, this is it, a must win game if they are what I think they are. Can’t wait to see this one
I agree this season is their best window to win the Natty so far. But I wouldn't go as far as some that are saying that it's this-year-or-bust. They won't have as many 5th years in the future, but the same will be true for everyone else. MT seems to be building a healthy sustainable program and is strong on recruiting. He's running a lot more younger players this year and you can see the depth is improved. Sure, next season will be a big retooling year and they won't go into '25 as popular Memorial Day weekend picks, but I'd be surprised if they're not a perennial top ten group for the foreseeable future.

As for the Tufts game...I don't like CNU's chances in this one. Jumbos looked like they haven't slowed down a bit in their opener yesterday. The midweek travel to Mass is going to be tough. Tufts doesn't lose at home. And CNU hasn't played a team of this caliber yet. CNU will be able to score, and Cabaniss should control the possession game, but their lack of cohesion and discipline on defense so far could be their downfall against a complete offense like Tufts. I expect a good game but wouldn't be surprised at all if CNU drops this one. I don't think that threatens their championship aspirations as long as it's a good learning experience. Like SU losing to Gettysburg early last season, this could be a fire-lighting experience for the guys if they lose.
todd_b_5

Post by todd_b_5 »

aroundtheoutside wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:04 am
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:18 pm The circus doesn’t come to town very often and you better not miss it. I’ve been on the CNU wagon now for 3 years. If they don’t win it this year they might never which is a long time. You will never have, (because of the 5th year players ) as many experienced players ever again. With what they have brought back they’ve been underwhelming. They don’t bring back just roster guys but AA types and player of the year types. They do not look like a superior team to date. I thought they’d go wire to wire undefeated. Maybe they think they can turn it on when it matters. Tufts and Dickinson will give them a fight, both of which are down from last year. CNU has brought everyone back. With only 1 game under their belt Tufts is at a disadvantage, CNU has had FIVE, this is it, a must win game if they are what I think they are. Can’t wait to see this one
I agree this season is their best window to win the Natty so far. But I wouldn't go as far as some that are saying that it's this-year-or-bust. They won't have as many 5th years in the future, but the same will be true for everyone else. MT seems to be building a healthy sustainable program and is strong on recruiting. He's running a lot more younger players this year and you can see the depth is improved. Sure, next season will be a big retooling year and they won't go into '25 as popular Memorial Day weekend picks, but I'd be surprised if they're not a perennial top ten group for the foreseeable future.

As for the Tufts game...I don't like CNU's chances in this one. Jumbos looked like they haven't slowed down a bit in their opener yesterday. The midweek travel to Mass is going to be tough. Tufts doesn't lose at home. And CNU hasn't played a team of this caliber yet. CNU will be able to score, and Cabaniss should control the possession game, but their lack of cohesion and discipline on defense so far could be their downfall against a complete offense like Tufts. I expect a good game but wouldn't be surprised at all if CNU drops this one. I don't think that threatens their championship aspirations as long as it's a good learning experience. Like SU losing to Gettysburg early last season, this could be a fire-lighting experience for the guys if they lose.
The captains have been comin out slow in these first few games. Team needs to come out of the gates HOT on Wednesday to be able to compete. Additionally, need the second line to provide good opportunities and act as scoring threats.

CNU's advantage is Cabaniss at the X and their short stick midfield. They are the deepest unit in the country. Not as much for the Jumbos, I expect CNU midfield to dominate their short stick matchup with multiple dodgers that can take it to the rack.

I think Cabaniss wins player of the game and Captains ship back down to the dirty news 18-16

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”