Predict The Next Major Universities To Get DI Lax Programs

D1 Mens Lacrosse
coda

Re: Predict The Next Major Universities To Get DI Lax Programs

Post by coda »

OCanada wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:48 am Oregon will be dependent on Phil Knight’s view.
He is a donor with plenty of money. Nike is in lacrosse, so it one that makes sense. No idea if it would happen, but this one you can at least connect the dots.
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

CHRLAX wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:33 pm This is really a problem for the sport. There are so many good youth lacrosse players with no where to go on the college level. At some point , parents will balk at the cost and commitment of club lacrosse etc if it doesn't yield any results. There already is barely any money in this sport from scholarships and no goldmine to dream about in a pro sport after college. not yet, but soon, people will be asking... what is the point?
...fun?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:05 am
CHRLAX wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:33 pm This is really a problem for the sport. There are so many good youth lacrosse players with no where to go on the college level. At some point , parents will balk at the cost and commitment of club lacrosse etc if it doesn't yield any results. There already is barely any money in this sport from scholarships and no goldmine to dream about in a pro sport after college. not yet, but soon, people will be asking... what is the point?
as this is the division 1 forum....
there are 17,000 high schools playing basketball, and just over 350 div 1 hoops teams.
16,000 for football and about 260.
under 4,000 for lacrosse and about 75.

seems about in line. then there's about 60? div 2 and way over 100 schools playing division 3. on top of all that, there's a pretty good ecosystem of college club ball, with literally 100s of schools playing. which of course football doesn't have. a very easy case could be made that there's more opportunity to play lacrosse than those and other sports.

if you're in it for schollies and pro looks, you've chosen the wrong sport at the outset. not sure what we'll do if the youth travel club scene wanes.

:lol: ;)
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

laxjuris wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:05 pm
...fun?
💯👍
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

There are already more D1 schools than talent available (great players that want to play D1, and can afford to play) Yes, there are some D2 and D3 kids that are good enough to play D1. But look how many bad D1 teams we have. The bottom 10 D1 lax teams are bad. They would all lose to the top 10 D3 teams.

There are always going to be average lax players that want D1, so they can say they play D1. And those teams will be bad.

If there were full scholarships for lax, like there is for football, then you could see 100 D1 programs that are strong.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

Laxattackjack wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:41 pm There are already more D1 schools than talent available (great players that want to play D1, and can afford to play) Yes, there are some D2 and D3 kids that are good enough to play D1. But look how many bad D1 teams we have. The bottom 10 D1 lax teams are bad. They would all lose to the top 10 D3 teams.

There are always going to be average lax players that want D1, so they can say they play D1. And those teams will be bad.

If there were full scholarships for lax, like there is for football, then you could see 100 D1 programs that are strong.
I think the only flaw in there is that there are a plethora of players that either matured too late for the D1 recruiting cycle, didn't have the right mix of academic capability, or got to a D1 program and bounced out for whatever reason. D3 is littered with players that either were committed to, or recruited by D1 programs. I have three dozen examples from one D3 program.
CHRLAX

Post by CHRLAX »

Just for general knowledge, there are 77 Div 1 Men's programs and 129 Women's D 1 programs. As far as HS participation, in 2018 there were 186k boys participating and 146k girls.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

CHRLAX wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:05 pm Just for general knowledge, there are 77 Div 1 Men's programs and 129 Women's D 1 programs. As far as HS participation, in 2018 there were 186k boys participating and 146k girls.
sounds excellent for girls lacrosse. wasn't too many generations ago there were very few outlets for womens sports.
mdk01

Post by mdk01 »

[youtube][/youtube]
wgdsr wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:51 pm
CHRLAX wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:05 pm Just for general knowledge, there are 77 Div 1 Men's programs and 129 Women's D 1 programs. As far as HS participation, in 2018 there were 186k boys participating and 146k girls.
sounds excellent for girls lacrosse. wasn't too many generations ago there were very few outlets for womens sports.
Direct result of Title IX. I wonder what the D3 ratio is where there are fewer football teams and scholies to balance out
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

...fun?
Great point Laxjuris.

If you think it is bad with lacrosse, it is way worse with hockey, which I know about, and presumably other team sports like basketball and soccer (would be happy to hear about those). There are few slots in NCAA hockey with only about 120 or so varsity NCAA teams to shoot for. In my neck of the woods (northern New England), it is all about hockey. Parents shell out huge money to get their kids on junior teams hoping for an NCAA offer. High school hockey here is a dead end (ex some prep schools) for playing in college. Plus, most potential NCAA recruits have to spend 1-2 years in juniors, frequently on the parents' dime, to get an offer. It's crazy. I was considering attending a Saint Anselem hockey game a season or two ago (a mid tier DIII program with no/few admissions standards), I saw two kids on the roster that attended Phillips Andover Academy, which is one of the best (usually number one is US rankings) prep schools in the US. It made no sense.

Compared to that, lacrosse is wide open with over 500 or so (I think) varsity programs.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

mdk01 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:59 pm [youtube][/youtube]
Direct result of Title IX. I wonder what the D3 ratio is where there are fewer football teams and scholies to balance out
D-3 schools are more likely to be able to rely on Prong 3, even if their administrators and lawyers prefer quotas. When I was at JHU, there were womens' teams which would go through the Freshmen dorms recruiting players, sometimes saying "No experience necessary; no cuts."
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

[youtube][/youtube]
Watching the local D1 girls commitments, I can say the odds are a ton better for "going D1" in ladies lax. Ridiculously better.

From just a lax perspective, Title ix certainly appears to be making up for the lack of lady football players in universities. I'm sure there are other womens' sports that have ramped up in this fashion too.
mdk01

Post by mdk01 »

44WeWantMore wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:35 am
mdk01 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:59 pm [youtube][/youtube]
D-3 schools are more likely to be able to rely on Prong 3, even if their administrators and lawyers prefer quotas. When I was at JHU, there were womens' teams which would go through the Freshmen dorms recruiting players, sometimes saying "No experience necessary; no cuts."
Understandable, as one spurious lawsuit would go through the sports annual budget.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:58 am [youtube][/youtube]
Watching the local D1 girls commitments, I can say the odds are a ton better for "going D1" in ladies lax. Ridiculously better.

From just a lax perspective, Title ix certainly appears to be making up for the lack of lady football players in universities. I'm sure there are other womens' sports that have ramped up in this fashion too.
Yes, football eats up a huge # of slots...and $.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

I really think that the football bubble will burst soon, due to the big boys growing even bigger with NIL. ANd creating the gap where some schools cant compete.
I could see a lot of mid major football programs folding and it might create some room for new sports on the men's side.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Unknown Participant wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:34 pm
...fun?
Great point Laxjuris.

If you think it is bad with lacrosse, it is way worse with hockey, which I know about, and presumably other team sports like basketball and soccer (would be happy to hear about those). There are few slots in NCAA hockey with only about 120 or so varsity NCAA teams to shoot for. In my neck of the woods (northern New England), it is all about hockey. Parents shell out huge money to get their kids on junior teams hoping for an NCAA offer. High school hockey here is a dead end (ex some prep schools) for playing in college. Plus, most potential NCAA recruits have to spend 1-2 years in juniors, frequently on the parents' dime, to get an offer. It's crazy. I was considering attending a Saint Anselem hockey game a season or two ago (a mid tier DIII program with no/few admissions standards), I saw two kids on the roster that attended Phillips Andover Academy, which is one of the best (usually number one is US rankings) prep schools in the US. It made no sense.

Compared to that, lacrosse is wide open with over 500 or so (I think) varsity programs.
Send your studs this way if you want results.

https://www.hws.edu/hobart-hockey-ncaad ... pions.aspx
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:28 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:58 am [youtube][/youtube]

Yes, football eats up a huge # of slots...and $.
And other resources. It’s nice having homecoming centered around the football game but imagine every other fall athlete and student having their homecoming weekend specifically planned for football. In D3 it’s silly because attendance doesn’t matter and when your on the field all you hear is “kill the guy with the ball”. Wait no that was the voice in my head when I played. Or my DC. Can’t tell anymore .
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:20 pm I really think that the football bubble will burst soon, due to the big boys growing even bigger with NIL. ANd creating the gap where some schools cant compete.
I could see a lot of mid major football programs folding and it might create some room for new sports on the men's side.
5-10 years. They will have a reckoning because most have longer term debt associated with infrastructure projects based on a different plan than the one they’ll have to contemplate .
See Martin, Malcolm
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:03 pm
...fun?
Great point Laxjuris.

Send your studs this way if you want results.

https://www.hws.edu/hobart-hockey-ncaad ... pions.aspx
Yeah, Hobart is good at hockey. True story, attended USMC OCS in 87, and then USMC Basic Officer Course (the Basic School) right after. Presumably, my class had similar demographics as most others at the time. We had BC, UNH, Oregon State linebackers, a guy that was a receiver in the CFL, a D lineman that had just got cut by the Vikings, a Penn State miler, a Rutgers dback, among others, and, at the end of the day, it was a hockey player from Hobart that won the Iron Mike award at the Basic School (basically, the best athlete award). Loved that guy.
old salt

Post by old salt »

...fun?
Great point Laxjuris.

Even on the Naval Academy club hockey team (in a mid tier club conference), many of the best players had 1 or 2 years on Junior Hockey & are 23 year old seniors.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”