Preseason Top 10

D3 Mens Lacrosse
laxdad1434

Re: Preseason Top 10

Post by laxdad1434 »

SixBySix wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:01 am Parody being such a similar word to parity is such a delightful coincidence.
:lol:
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

laxdad1434 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:08 am
SixBySix wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:01 am Parody being such a similar word to parity is such a delightful coincidence.
Aw damn. Now I can’t unsee my typo.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

InsiderRoll wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:26 am
laxdad1434 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:08 am
Aw damn. Now I can’t unsee my typo.
Parody/parity is child's play. At work in my 20s outlook auto-corrected inconvenience to incontinence (due to my poor typing skills, which are still wreaking havoc) in an email to a client VP.
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

Incontinence is an inconvenience, I'm sure they understood.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

:lol: VP was a guy name Joe Montgomery at Genesis Healthcare. Still there, CIO now. Penn State guy. Great sense of humor.
Low2high22

Post by Low2high22 »

CNU has to be preseason ranked number 1 with everybody coming back, right? They’re really not losing anybody!
The other heavyweights will surely reload but gotta think CNU to start
Low2high22

Post by Low2high22 »

I also think Jensen graduating from RIT will be a big loss. He did it all
Leonard Washington

Post by Leonard Washington »

Low2high22 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:30 pm I also think Jensen graduating from RIT will be a big loss. He did it all
There is always someone ready to step up and in to LSM (or defense) at RIT. Jensen took the reigns from Smyth, who had it after Hall, who dominated after Hossack and so on...
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
ergit

Post by ergit »

Leonard Washington wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:54 pm
Low2high22 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:30 pm I also think Jensen graduating from RIT will be a big loss. He did it all
There is always someone ready to step up and in to LSM (or defense) at RIT. Jensen took the reigns from Smyth, who had it after Hall, who dominated after Hossack and so on...
… and Salama between Smyth and Hall
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

Low2high22 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:27 pm CNU has to be preseason ranked number 1 with everybody coming back, right? They’re really not losing anybody!
The other heavyweights will surely reload but gotta think CNU to start
I feel like Salisbury will start as #1 with CNU as a close #2. I obviously know how good Cross was, but seeing how well he is performing in the PLL makes me realize how much of a loss he will actually be. Timmons/Ballard/Woodward are also hug losses on the defensive ends. That being said, they return a lot of good players and bring in some great transfers. Will need to see how they translate over to Salisbury, but on paper they look great.

CNU got closer and closer with each game they played last year against the gulls. I expect the games this year between the two will be a battle.
satstorm

Post by satstorm »

Until proven wrong from last years result AND how the teams seem to be trending (graduation hits, transfers in/out)

1. Salisbury
2. CNU

Decent Drop

3. Tufts
4. RIT

Massive Drop

5. Anyone else
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

satstorm wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:45 am Until proven wrong from last years result AND how the teams seem to be trending (graduation hits, transfers in/out)

1. Salisbury
2. CNU

Decent Drop

3. Tufts
4. RIT

Massive Drop

5. Anyone else
Salisbury lost more than CNU. I would put CNU at 1. You are correct on the rest. Unless another team has a new recruit that is an undiscovered gem, or the team seems to just gel really good and get lots of breaks, I don’t see anyone else cracking the top 4.
satstorm

Post by satstorm »

You are correct in Salisbury loosing more. But until CNU can beat them, Salisbury cannot be dethroned in any preseason ranking. May be flawed logic but it’s my view
BigMoose9

Post by BigMoose9 »

Laxattackjack wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:22 am
satstorm wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:45 am Until proven wrong from last years result AND how the teams seem to be trending (graduation hits, transfers in/out)

1. Salisbury
2. CNU

Decent Drop

3. Tufts
4. RIT

Massive Drop

5. Anyone else
Salisbury lost more than CNU. I would put CNU at 1. You are correct on the rest. Unless another team has a new recruit that is an undiscovered gem, or the team seems to just gel really good and get lots of breaks, I don’t see anyone else cracking the top 4.
Yes Salisbury lost more but the teams were not even last year. With Salisbury winning all 3 games they will still be number 1 preseason plus the addition of multiple division 1 transfers. I expect the games between the two to be a lot closer this year, especially if they are not being played at Seagull Stadium which is a huge advantage for the gulls.
Jknows

Post by Jknows »

The 2024 regular season matchup will be at CNU (SU hosted in 2023 and it alternates year-to-year). Winner of the game (should they be No. 1 and No. 2 for the conference) then hosts the conference championship.

Even if on paper CNU is looking better, lax magazine/inside lacrosse/coaches will vote SU No. 1 to start the year.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

Jknows wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:01 am The 2024 regular season matchup will be at CNU (SU hosted in 2023 and it alternates year-to-year). Winner of the game (should they be No. 1 and No. 2 for the conference) then hosts the conference championship.

Even if on paper CNU is looking better, lax magazine/inside lacrosse/coaches will vote SU No. 1 to start the year.
The CNU v Gulls matchup feels very much like the previously navigated VJC/Stevie v Gulls matchup. Does MT stay the course or drop the ball culturally like Catebene? Can he deliver class after class of the recruits necessary to then match wits with Berkman? To that end, can he avoid the traps of complacency in scheming that provide a consistent blueprint to Berkman? Will he be able to sustain the support and investment of the university?

If I'm CNU I'm happy to start the season ranked lower. No need to give the Gulls any additional perceived slights to work with.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

I have really thought that CNU was the best team I saw over tge last few years and with all that they have coming back I would be stunned if they are not there at the end. Their style of play lends it self to winning big early but they will have to figure out how to win the big game when it matters.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Asgot wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:10 am I have really thought that CNU was the best team I saw over tge last few years and with all that they have coming back I would be stunned if they are not there at the end. Their style of play lends it self to winning big early but they will have to figure out how to win the big game when it matters.
They’ve got some talent for sure. They seemed to get bullied around by Salisburys size advantage. They also struggle to defend teams who figure out their zone.

Regarding style of play? They did a complete 180 on their style of play in 2023 so I’m curious what you’re referring to. In 2023 they didn’t 10man and they rarely pushed unsettled, or at least it was nothing like previous years. They’ve become very efficient on offense so it makes sense. They also have depth issues, they have one of the most significant talent drop offs after their starters that I’ve ever seen in a top 5 team. That could lend themselves to needing to play a slower pace. Just an observation.
satstorm

Post by satstorm »

^^ great take
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

InsiderRoll wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:33 am
Asgot wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:10 am I have really thought that CNU was the best team I saw over tge last few years and with all that they have coming back I would be stunned if they are not there at the end. Their style of play lends it self to winning big early but they will have to figure out how to win the big game when it matters.
They’ve got some talent for sure. They seemed to get bullied around by Salisburys size advantage. They also struggle to defend teams who figure out their zone.

Regarding style of play? They did a complete 180 on their style of play in 2023 so I’m curious what you’re referring to. In 2023 they didn’t 10man and they rarely pushed unsettled, or at least it was nothing like previous years. They’ve become very efficient on offense so it makes sense. They also have depth issues, they have one of the most significant talent drop offs after their starters that I’ve ever seen in a top 5 team. That could lend themselves to needing to play a slower pace. Just an observation.
They lost to 1 team last year, the national champion. Salisbury had 3 difference makers in those games, Ferrara, Brown and DeFazio. I don't think they struggled with opponents size, RIT, G'Burg and W&L were all big teams and they handled them.

With Ferrara gone, I don't know about Brown, CNU should be taking the next step.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”