American History

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
cradleandshoot

Re: American History

Post by cradleandshoot »

DMac wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:23 pm When there was first talk about colorizing WW II footage I was initially opposed to the idea. Didn't feel as if the footage should be altered in any way, it's reality needed to be exactly as recorded. Color was a long way from perfect, color tv was anything but natural looking and I sure didn't want the footage to look like that. Ultimately the color in the footage is dead nuts on the money and I don't know how it could be better. You can watch the war for pretty much as long as want on tv and I've watched quite a bit of it. The epitome of madness, man and his killing machines. Conditions survived, battles survived, what were the odds of those who returned home would? Adolf was an unbelievably dark and evil human being. The genes lined up a little out of whack when that one was put together. Geezuz H!!!
You are talking of all those " The Color of War " videos. Every war hawk should see them.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

old salt wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:20 pm
Kismet wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:39 pm VDH is no John Keegan - as both author and historian - Despite his recommendation.
Keegan admired Hanson's work & was a formative influence on VDH, writing forewords, favorable reviews &/or cover blurbs. They even co-authored a book. VDH credit's Keegan's encouragement for helping shape his career path. Keegan was not a history snob who allowed his political bias to tinge his appreciation of insightful history.

https://the-american-catholic.com/2012/ ... hn-keegan/
Like I said, as an author and historian VDH is no John Keegan. :oops:
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DMac wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:23 pm When there was first talk about colorizing WW II footage I was initially opposed to the idea. Didn't feel as if the footage should be altered in any way, it's reality needed to be exactly as recorded. Color was a long way from perfect, color tv was anything but natural looking and I sure didn't want the footage to look like that. Ultimately the color in the footage is dead nuts on the money and I don't know how it could be better. You can watch the war for pretty much as long as want on tv and I've watched quite a bit of it. The epitome of madness, man and his killing machines. Conditions survived, battles survived, what were the odds of those who returned home would? Adolf was an unbelievably dark and evil human being. The genes lined up a little out of whack when that one was put together. Geezuz H!!!
Happened to see this today...speak of the devil.

“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Part of the uniqueness of this event was that it happened in such a beautiful city moments before the Giants and A’s were getting ready to start game 3 of the World Series.
IMG_0995.jpeg
IMG_0995.jpeg (105.87 KiB) Viewed 189 times
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ardilla secreta wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:04 pm Part of the uniqueness of this event was that it happened in such a beautiful city moments before the Giants and A’s were getting ready to start game 3 of the World Series.

IMG_0995.jpeg
I’m a lifelong As fan and ironically my sisters first friend after moving out in early 1990 to SF was a woman who’s car had been stolen a week before and was in fact the vehicle that was stuck in the crack of the bay bridge during the reporting of it. Some My Name is Earl level
karma.

That As team probably choked more than Lebrons stacked teams only getting 1 W/S no matter hope dope Orel Hershiser, Kirk Gibson, Jose Rijo and Eric Davis were….
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:47 pm
ardilla secreta wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:04 pm Part of the uniqueness of this event was that it happened in such a beautiful city moments before the Giants and A’s were getting ready to start game 3 of the World Series.

IMG_0995.jpeg
I’m a lifelong As fan and ironically my sisters first friend after moving out in early 1990 to SF was a woman who’s car had been stolen a week before and was in fact the vehicle that was stuck in the crack of the bay bridge during the reporting of it. Some My Name is Earl level
karma.

That As team probably choked more than Lebrons stacked teams only getting 1 W/S no matter hope dope Orel Hershiser, Kirk Gibson, Jose Rijo and Eric Davis were….
Jose Rijo and Eric Davis were FANTASTIC
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:53 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:47 pm

IMG_0995.jpeg
karma.

Jose Rijo and Eric Davis were FANTASTIC
Indeed, I was more ok with losing to Cinci than the Dodgers in that stretch. Young Barry Larkin and Paul ONeill before Roberto Kelly trade too. Plus…Rob Dibble.

But still that As team had: Willie McGee, Harold Baines, Jose Canseco, Mark McGwire, Dave Henderson, Willie Randolph, Carney Lansford, Walt Weiss and Terry Steinbeck as catcher. Like 12 deep professional quality of better hitters. And a quality glove in MIke Gallego who didn’t kill you at the plate. That was the gaudy 27 win Bob Welch year and Dave Stewart won 20-21 games. Couple of other like 13-15 game winners and none had atrocious ERAs. Throw in the greatest reliever ever, Riviera is nice but he ain’t no Eck. Never should’ve lost that series….
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

250th Anniversary of the Boston Tea Party

https://www.google.com/search?q=Boston+ ... e&ie=UTF-8

I am very puzzled as to why this was not celebrated more vociferously. Perhaps it's because people are more in tune with the Christmas season. But it sure is an occasion for patriotic celebration.

It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq

Return to “POLITICS”