Athletes Unlimited Season 3

D1 Womens Lacrosse
lacrosselaxin20

Re: Athletes Unlimited Season 3

Post by lacrosselaxin20 »

Not very involved in AU but how does Moreno have almost 300 more points than everyone? I’m so confused.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Gotta tune into the point system. So many for a save, GB, CTO, G, A, points for
winning quarters, games, etc. She has a lot of saves as well as a couple of
CTOs which is a big point getter. Tune in, 1700hrs and 1930hrs, they'll run
down the point system for you. Oh, and you'll see some fantastic lacrosse
to boot.
DMac

Post by DMac »

lacrosselaxin20 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:40 am Not very involved in AU but how does Moreno have almost 300 more points than everyone? I’m so confused.
Here's the breakdown for ya.
https://auprosports.com/lacrosse/how-we ... 5%20points
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

lacrosselaxin20 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:40 am Not very involved in AU but how does Moreno have almost 300 more points than everyone? I’m so confused.
Because she’s the best player in the league!!
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

They need to stop the clock when the ball goes out of bounds on a shot. It’s ridiculous to watch the clock keep running as players are chasing the shot out of bounds.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

AU lacrosse rewards certain skills for points. Whether the system identifies the “best player” is somewhat irrelevant. We get to watch great lax…and the scoring system is what it is. Emma trenchard is the worst ranked defender in the AU scoring system….but one of the top 4 or 5 defenders in the world in terms of “regular lacrosse”. And since I get to watch them pretty much play the highest level lacrosse ever played, I don’t care so much about the individual scoring system…
DMac

Post by DMac »

Brownlax wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:52 pm
Because she’s the best player in the league!!
While a superb GK (I sure want her on my team) is she the best player in the league?
DMac

Post by DMac »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:03 pm
AU lacrosse rewards certain skills for points. Whether the system identifies the “best player” is somewhat irrelevant. We get to watch great lax…and the scoring system is what it is. Emma trenchard is the worst ranked defender in the AU scoring system….but one of the top 4 or 5 defenders in the world in terms of “regular lacrosse”. And since I get to watch them pretty much play the highest level lacrosse ever played, I don’t care so much about the individual scoring system…
Hear, hear!!!
My sentiments exactly. Kenzie is a bit of risk taker, this sometimes ends up in a TO which points are deducted for.
There might be players with higher point totals but that doesn't make 'em better players than Kenzie. I want her
on my team too.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Brownlax wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:53 pm They need to stop the clock when the ball goes out of bounds on a shot. It’s ridiculous to watch the clock keep running as players are chasing the shot out of bounds.
I'm not sure of this but I think at least part of the reason for the running clock is the number of players per team and the number of games played with only one day off. This is pretty intense competition and these gals aren't 18 and playing/practicing every day.
Dull Thud

Post by Dull Thud »

I believe Moreno’s team has won every quarter of the first two games of the weekend. This would be worth 125/game for that stat alone (20 for the quarter and 45 for a win).

Moreno has been a captain drafting a team in the first two weeks of the league — I think she might be drafting the best teams, which explains why her teams win. Also, through yesterday’s games, she had a save percentage of 67%.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Would love to see Kayla Wood think O more than she does, that's a very D minded person.
Such a good and steady defender, very efficient on GBs and clearing the ball. So many
times I think she should keep going to the cage but she's quick and content to pass it off.
I think she's good for some Gs and/or As if she keeps going.
Aldave is flawless at the arc, think she's 4 for 4 on FPSs...she's firing some accurate heat
from there.
McMahon has hit a couple, was due.
5-5 at the half.
Both teams want this win, think this 2nd half is going to be intense.

6-6, 3:30 to go.
Pressure cooker.

Classic Aldave, hard drive to the cage from behind, puts in a beauty for the lead.
6-5, 39 sec to go.
Final.
Good game, hard fought.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Game two.
Apuzzo is ridiculous. Big time hustle play, covered quite a bit of green to get to a ball going OOB.
Gets a stick on it, keeps it in, trailing teammate picks it up. Meanwhile she heads back across the
field, takes a pass and puts it in the goal. She's got both goals for Team A.
Kenzie with a sweet btb pass to Vanthof, she puts it in with a nice twizzler.
2-1, end of 1.

Another tight one heading into the 4th, 7-6 Apuzzo.
Moreno won the last quarter, came back to tie it but
gave up one before the end of the quarter. Two good
teams.

Geezuz, Moreno with 17 saves and down 1 with 90 sec to go.
Moreno ball, gotta clear. Charlotte playing tough, determined
to get to the cage and scores, next shot hit the pipe.
Huge save by Glynn.
Apuzzo wins by 1, 8-7...imagine that.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Heading into week 3 here's what you're facing when you meet Team GSD Apuzzo.
How do you deal with that?
Curious, some of these girls look like sleeker, leaner, absolute top notch shape versions of themselves.
Particularly, but not restricted to, Mastroianni, Aldave, and Levy. Am wondering if these pros are spending
a little less time in the weight room and more time on the field (running...more cardio, less strength training).
Any inside scoop here? Mentioned this to my buddy (the prior don't talk to me about wlax guy who is now watching
and enjoying it) yesterday while sitting on the porch of my favorite watering hole (met Lucy the sweetie Golden
Retriever who came up to say hello) and he said he noticed the same thing.

Sam Apuzzo
Attacker
-
1 Dempsey Arsenault
Midfielder
-
2 Ally Mastroianni
Midfielder
-
3 Cortney Fortunato
Attacker
-
4 Lizzie Colson
Defender
-
5 Sam Geiersbach
Attacker
-
6 Haley Warden
Midfielder
-
7 Meg Douty
Defender
-
8 Caylee Waters
Goalie
-
9 Mairead Durkin
Defender
-
10 Nicole Levy
Attacker
-
11 Marge Donovan
Defender
-
12 Brianne Gross
Midfielder
-
13 Kat Buchanan
Goalie
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

DMac wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:35 am Heading into week 3 here's what you're facing when you meet Team GSD Apuzzo.
How do you deal with that?
Curious, some of these girls look like sleeker, leaner, absolute top notch shape versions of themselves.
Particularly, but not restricted to, Mastroianni, Aldave, and Levy. Am wondering if these pros are spending
a little less time in the weight room and more time on the field (running...more cardio, less strength training).
Any inside scoop here? Mentioned this to my buddy (the prior don't talk to me about wlax guy who is now watching
and enjoying it) yesterday while sitting on the porch of my favorite watering hole (met Lucy the sweetie Golden
Retriever who came up to say hello) and he said he noticed the same thing.

Sam Apuzzo
Attacker
-
1 Dempsey Arsenault
Midfielder
-
2 Ally Mastroianni
Midfielder
-
3 Cortney Fortunato
Attacker
-
4 Lizzie Colson
Defender
-
5 Sam Geiersbach
Attacker
-
6 Haley Warden
Midfielder
-
7 Meg Douty
Defender
-
8 Caylee Waters
Goalie
-
9 Mairead Durkin
Defender
-
10 Nicole Levy
Attacker
-
11 Marge Donovan
Defender
-
12 Brianne Gross
Midfielder
-
13 Kat Buchanan
Goalie
Im laying my $$ on Team Moreno to beat Appuzzo's team.
DMac

Post by DMac »

A mighty strong looking team as well....would have to say the GK advantage goes to them too.
So what's the wager, Gummi Bears?

C Taylor Moreno
Goalie
-
1 Charlotte North
Attacker
-
2 Ally Kennedy
Midfielder
-
3 Caroline Wakefield
Defender
-
4 Grace Griffin
Midfielder
-
5 Andie Aldave
Attacker
-
6 Taylor VanThof
Attacker
-
7 Emma Trenchard
Defender
-
8 Hannah Dorney
Midfielder
-
9 Ella Simkins
Defender
-
10 Mira Shane
Goalie
-
11 Molly Garrett
Midfielder
-
12 Scottie Rose Growney
Attacker
-
13 Emma Wightman
Defender
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

DMac wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:29 am A mighty strong looking team as well....would have to say the GK advantage goes to them too.

C Taylor Moreno
Goalie
-
1 Charlotte North
Attacker
-
2 Ally Kennedy
Midfielder
-
3 Caroline Wakefield
Defender
-
4 Grace Griffin
Midfielder
-
5 Andie Aldave
Attacker
-
6 Taylor VanThof
Attacker
-
7 Emma Trenchard
Defender
-
8 Hannah Dorney
Midfielder
-
9 Ella Simkins
Defender
-
10 Mira Shane
Goalie
-
11 Molly Garrett
Midfielder
-
12 Scottie Rose Growney
Attacker
-
13 Emma Wightman
Defender
You're on!
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

I havn't been able to get into Athletes Unlimited. For those avid watchers, how does your enjoyment of watching compare to the college game? do you enjoy it more or less? i'd imagine it's more exciting due to the high level of play and skilled players but does it make for a better product and viewing experience?
DMac

Post by DMac »

Laxfan500 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:37 am
DMac wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:29 am A mighty strong looking team as well....would have to say the GK advantage goes to them too.

C Taylor Moreno
Goalie
-
1 Charlotte North
Attacker
-
2 Ally Kennedy
Midfielder
-
3 Caroline Wakefield
Defender
-
4 Grace Griffin
Midfielder
-
5 Andie Aldave
Attacker
-
6 Taylor VanThof
Attacker
-
7 Emma Trenchard
Defender
-
8 Hannah Dorney
Midfielder
-
9 Ella Simkins
Defender
-
10 Mira Shane
Goalie
-
11 Molly Garrett
Midfielder
-
12 Scottie Rose Growney
Attacker
-
13 Emma Wightman
Defender
You're on!
Winners choice. :mrgreen:
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Kleizaster wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:59 am I havn't been able to get into Athletes Unlimited. For those avid watchers, how does your enjoyment of watching compare to the college game? do you enjoy it more or less? i'd imagine it's more exciting due to the high level of play and skilled players but does it make for a better product and viewing experience?
I like watching AU because of the over the top level of skill shown by the athletes, which makes most of the games very competitive. It is a fun diversion. I like watching players I have grown to like, the same way free agency in sports made me depart a little from following a team to following a player. But comparing AU play to a tilt between two top of the pile NCAA Division 1 teams is almost unfair, a bit of the apples and oranges thing. The college players, as you know, practice as a team every day; the AU players play regular well-known sets and rely on extraordinary ball movement and sharp shooting and goalkeeping. The college players -- particularly in the tournament -- are playing to keep playing, to spend another week playing a sport that they started when they were little children, in what may be their last game. Compare the best AU game you've ever seen to UNC's comeback at Homewood against Northwestern...and it doesn't compare.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Kleizaster wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:59 am I havn't been able to get into Athletes Unlimited. For those avid watchers, how does your enjoyment of watching compare to the college game? do you enjoy it more or less? i'd imagine it's more exciting due to the high level of play and skilled players but does it make for a better product and viewing experience?
That's actually a pretty tough question as they're really two different games. I enjoy both games and it's good that they're played at two different times of the year as you're not making a comparison of back to back games. The college game is a smoother, cleaner game where more strategy is involved because of shooting space, three seconds, more players on the field, and far less contact is tolerated. No checking an open stick on a GB either....this rule makes no sense to me. The AU game is rougher (although I don't really think that much), fewer players on the field (10v10) no 3 sec or shooting space, more contact and stick checking allowed. All top notch players in AU and they're more able to showcase their skills in this league, I thoroughly enjoy it. Looking forward to week 3's games.
You can watch these games on replay, here are a couple of good ones, check them out.
https://www.espn.com/espnplus/schedule/ ... e/20230730

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”