Best COACH In Your Program's History?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
kramerica.inc

Re: Best COACH In Your Program's History?

Post by kramerica.inc »

wrapcheque wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:43 pm And how many coaches can be named/considered for more than one Division I program besides Tierney?
Emmer, Army/W&L?
Danowski at Hofstra/Duke
old salt

Post by old salt »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:32 pm
wrapcheque wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:43 pm And how many coaches can be named/considered for more than one Division I program besides Tierney?
Emmer, Army/W&L?
Danowski at Hofstra/Duke
Dick Edell -- Army & MD.
HowieT3

Post by HowieT3 »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:08 pm
molo wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:31 pm Lars Tiffany for UVA. He took over a declining program and missed the NCAAT his first year. Second year took them back to the tournament but lost to Loyola in the first round. Next season opened with at Loyola and finished as NC, beating the defending NC. Covid wiped out the next year. Won the NC again in 2021. Lost in QFs to NC Maryland in 2022. Lost in OT to NC ND in semis.
Starsia amassed a slew of wins along with four NCs but also presided over a period of decline. Prior to hhs arrival, the school had its share of exceptional teams but a bit of a history of inconsistency occasional underachievement.
I don’t know Tiffany and I graduated quite a while ago, but it seems that there has been a shift in the “culture,” to use a term that i associated with the arts but has become a catchall term for behavior among athletes. My sense is that he has transformed a program that at times has placed “fun” over discipline into a somewhat more focused entity, no easy feat.
just writing about it doesn't make it so. starsia not only won 4 championships but lost 2 or 3 in overtime. they were constantly in the hunt, save several years until the end, which... if things didn't end badly, they wouldn't end. starsia had teams that bought in to winning. tiffany has taken his opportunity and, hopefully, it's a long reign.
Starsia lost 2 in OT to Princeton, '94 and '96. Hard to argue with 6 Memorial Day appearances as making him the best. The off-field and decline at the end definitely tarnish his image.
52 70 72 99
03 06 11 19 21

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”