D3 Mens Lacrosse
Can Opener

Re: W&L 2023 Recruits

Post by Can Opener »

InsiderRoll wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:58 am
Laxdds wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:33 am
valaxfan wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:09 pm
InsiderRoll wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:20 pm
W&Lacrosse75 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:42 pm Take a quick look at interested players for W&L 2024. That is where I noticed some of these schools in competition with W&L. I think some of the same schools were on the 2023 list of “schools considered” on the page for commits to W&L. I’m just saying that it is the first time that I have seen so many with W&L coming out on top or even when it came to interest. And, yes, Dartmouth was close or even in interest to W&L for several players, while Richmond was a little ahead, behind, or even on a couple of players interested in W&L.

W&L did lose one to Gettysburg, one to Mercer, and one to Towson. I am sure that some don’t apply to W&L if they are unsure if they’ll be accepted, while others see D1 as the way to go for the scholarships, level of play or even their major. And, of course, as with any school one prospect’s “dream school” is not even on the radar of interest for another for any number of reasons. Some kids want urban settings, and others love the rural route.
That interest thing on IL is not at all an indication of who’s recruiting the player. It can be, but it’s kids just put things on there. There are plenty of kids that haven’t even heard from many or any schools on their “schools considered” list. I would put little to no stock in that.

I can assure you W&L did not lose a recruit to Gettysburg. What’s more likely, if he was even being recruited be W&L is that he wasn’t admissible.

W&Ls recruiting profile has been raised considerably since Mendoza joined the staff. He has helped tremendously with the recruiting boost, and gotten them into the mix for kids they don’t usually get. He is a part of Tambroni and Job Thompson’s coaching tree and had a strong reputation as top tier recruiter prior to getting to W&L. The young man from Gilman turned down several patriot league suitors including Loyola and Richmond. With the recent announcement of Beville’s retirement he’ll likely get some consideration for the Cortland head coaching gig as he’s an alum - that would be a major blow to the momentum W&L has.
Insider, I need to hook you up with the "Mayor of W&L", you guys would have great conversations.

valaxfan
Well Gettysburg is 16-11 vs W&L since 1987 so I think they are doing just fine against the Harvard of the South. W&L is a fantastic university but to say a lacrosse recruit would not chose Gettysburg over W&L is a pretty big statement.

Hope everyone is enjoying their summer...looking forward to fall ball!
Gettysburg, Dickinson, F&M and Denison are completely filled with guys that wanted places like W&L, Middlebury, Amherst, and Williams, but they were inadmissible. The are is a significantly larger talent pool of guys that can get into those schools than who can get into top 10 ranked academic colleges. Every year there are dozens of kids that W&L and top NESCACs have to tell no that are exceptional lacrosse players, because they cannot support the academic profile. Trust me nobody is sitting on an offer from W&L, Middlebury and Gettysburg; and choosing Gettysburg.

I don’t think many realize how good of a student you need to be in order to attend a top NESCAC or W&L. I’m certain there are many terrific players that coaches would love to have in their program but the reality is GPAs below a 95 and 3.9uw start to be in deny range.
Remarkably cringey, arrogant and factually inaccurate post.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Can Opener wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:13 am
W&Lacrosse75 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:42 pm Take a quick look at interested players for W&L 2024. That is where I noticed some of these schools in competition with W&L. I think some of the same schools were on the 2023 list of “schools considered” on the page for commits to W&L. I’m just saying that it is the first time that I have seen so many with W&L coming out on top or even when it came to interest. And, yes, Dartmouth was close or even in interest to W&L for several players, while Richmond was a little ahead, behind, or even on a couple of players interested in W&L.

W&L did lose one to Gettysburg, one to Mercer, and one to Towson. I am sure that some don’t apply to W&L if they are unsure if they’ll be accepted, while others see D1 as the way to go for the scholarships, level of play or even their major. And, of course, as with any school one prospect’s “dream school” is not even on the radar of interest for another for any number of reasons. Some kids want urban settings, and others love the rural route.
That interest thing on IL is not at all an indication of who’s recruiting the player. It can be, but it’s kids just put things on there. There are plenty of kids that haven’t even heard from many or any schools on their “schools considered” list. I would put little to no stock in that.

I can assure you W&L did not lose a recruit to Gettysburg. What’s more likely, if he was even being recruited be W&L is that he wasn’t admissible.

W&Ls recruiting profile has been raised considerably since Mendoza joined the staff. He has helped tremendously with the recruiting boost, and gotten them into the mix for kids they don’t usually get. He is a part of Tambroni and Job Thompson’s coaching tree and had a strong reputation as top tier recruiter prior to getting to W&L. The young man from Gilman turned down several patriot league suitors including Loyola and Richmond. With the recent announcement of Beville’s retirement he’ll likely get some consideration for the Cortland head coaching gig as he’s an alum - that would be a major blow to the momentum W&L has.
Insider, I need to hook you up with the "Mayor of W&L", you guys would have great conversations.

valaxfan
Well Gettysburg is 16-11 vs W&L since 1987 so I think they are doing just fine against the Harvard of the South. W&L is a fantastic university but to say a lacrosse recruit would not chose Gettysburg over W&L is a pretty big statement.

Gettysburg, Dickinson, F&M and Denison are completely filled with guys that wanted places like W&L, Middlebury, Amherst, and Williams, but they were inadmissible. The are is a significantly larger talent pool of guys that can get into those schools than who can get into top 10 ranked academic colleges. Every year there are dozens of kids that W&L and top NESCACs have to tell no that are exceptional lacrosse players, because they cannot support the academic profile. Trust me nobody is sitting on an offer from W&L, Middlebury and Gettysburg; and choosing Gettysburg.

I don’t think many realize how good of a student you need to be in order to attend a top NESCAC or W&L. I’m certain there are many terrific players that coaches would love to have in their program but the reality is GPAs below a 95 and 3.9uw start to be in deny range.
It doesn’t take more than a google search to look up that Gettysburg, Dickinson, HSC and F&M are listed among the most recommended safety schools for a W&L applicant.

Just like Trinity, Conn College, Union and St. Lawrence come up when you search for common safety schools of for a Middlebury applicant.

I don’t know why this is so upsetting for people. The Gettysburg program is excellent, there are great kids in that program that will have successful professional careers. But there are not tons of kids with Ivy level HS grades in that program. There just isn’t. And unfortunately for W&L, Amherst, Middlebury, Williams, Tufts and a few others. They are limited to selecting Ivy level applicants. If those schools had the limited selection pool and frequently lost admissible kids less strong academic schools, they would really suck. See 100 years of Vassar, Swarthmore, and Haverford lacrosse.

If there is one scenario that could come into play, it’s Gettysburg and Dickinsons large merit based scholarship program. Particularly when it comes to upper middle class income families that may not get financial aid offerings that they feel are helpful. But I have seen a number of families consider loans to attend a top ten school as well. That is why those two schools have such strong merit based programs, it is an effort to attract diversity and “steal” a few stronger applicants.

W&L is one of the only top tier liberal arts colleges that offers merit money through its Johnson scholarship. But my guess is very few lacrosse players earn that as it goes solely to the top 8-10% of admits. My understanding is it exists to try and steal admits from places like Harvard, Yale, Duke, MIT, etc. That is a full tuition/room and board scholarship with a $7500 yearly research grant. And that is the ONLY thing that would get someone to turn down Harvard to go to W&L. This whole thing is like getting upset at saying nobody chooses W&L over Harvard. Because that is largely true.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

IL still lists Shallcross as Class of 24, unless someone knows something else.

valaxfan
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

I agree with the posts about arrogance etc. You recovered by posting this little bit here.
InsiderRoll wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:08 am ... This whole thing is like getting upset at saying nobody chooses W&L over Harvard. Because that is largely true.
A little bit of self deprecation goes a long way if you’re being perceived as arrogant. DIII schools don’t exist in a vacuum, and the fraction of recruits that meet the “standard” would likely have several national brand level schools (Harvard, Yale etc) above W&L in their selection order.

In years past I’ve seen the W&L roster littered with legacies. “Uncle/grandfather/father played football at W&L” and the like. I wonder what flexibility, grade wise, this gives them to get someone accepted, without the 3.9, that can compete at a high level on the field.

With the high NESCACs largely doing away with legacy admissions, could W&L follow suit?
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

valaxfan wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:52 am IL still lists Shallcross as Class of 24, unless someone knows something else.

valaxfan
IL indicates that Shallcross de-committed, but then goes on to verify that he committed. Fairly confusing. Maybe he de-committed from another school and committed to W&L?
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

DeepPocket wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:54 am I agree with the posts about arrogance etc. You recovered by posting this little bit here.
InsiderRoll wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:08 am ... This whole thing is like getting upset at saying nobody chooses W&L over Harvard. Because that is largely true.
A little bit of self deprecation goes a long way if you’re being perceived as arrogant. DIII schools don’t exist in a vacuum, and the fraction of recruits that meet the “standard” would likely have several national brand level schools (Harvard, Yale etc) above W&L in their selection order.

In years past I’ve seen the W&L roster littered with legacies. “Uncle/grandfather/father played football at W&L” and the like. I wonder what flexibility, grade wise, this gives them to get someone accepted, without the 3.9, that can compete at a high level on the field.

With the high NESCACs largely doing away with legacy admissions, could W&L follow suit?
Speaking about legacy admissions, a few years back, former W&L All-American, and generally great person, Johnny Black, his son was not admitted to W&L, ended up going to Lynchburg, had a very nice career there. Have no idea what his grades were. But, current roster and rising Senior, Alex Brown, his father Sandy played at W&L, class of 85. Alex is an academic all-ODAC player himself from 2022, and scholar athlete in 2023 too. Have no clue what his GPA or SATs were to get in but he's making the grade. I'm sure there are other examples but these 2 come to mind. So, maybe W&L has stepped away from legacy admissions, and you need to have the academics to play.

The bottom line, you need to pass admissions test to play lax in Lexington, and we are just glad to have those that pass the test, get in, and hope they have great careers and win some games, maybe the NCAA NC one day. I've been following this school, this team, for 54 years (not my age btw) and I can't wait for each spring to see the Gennies play lax.

valaxfan
Last edited by valaxfan on Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

W&Lacrosse75 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:19 am
valaxfan wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:52 am IL still lists Shallcross as Class of 24, unless someone knows something else.

valaxfan
IL indicates that Shallcross de-committed, but then goes on to verify that he committed. Fairly confusing. Maybe he de-committed from another school and committed to W&L?
Yep, saw that, it is confusing. He looks like a very good defender, lets hope he still wants to come to Lexington after all this banter back and forth about admissions, LoL If he de-committs again, I'll blame InsiderRoll for this, HA!!!

valaxfan
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

DeepPocket wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:54 am I agree with the posts about arrogance etc. You recovered by posting this little bit here.

Yes I didn’t mention W&Ls place in the pecking order because it would seem so outlandish to me that anyone would think W&L would beat out Yale or Harvard for a student (certainly not in lacrosse but in general). Apparently I needed to say that.

The legacy admit thing is interesting, my guess is that eventually yes they will. However W&L has been much more dependent on on alumni money than some of their peers. With an endowment of a little under 2 billion they are not quite as stable as Amherst and Williams who sit at over 3billion.

W&L is in the midst of an aggressive capital campaign to finally go need blind in admissions. That would allow their financial aid packages to be much stronger and help them to recruit more diversity which is a major priority.

How the affirmative action ruling impacts the larger strategic strategy of W&L and other universities moving forward remains to be seen. But I don’t think W&L will make a dramatic change as it relates to legacies until that capital campaign is completed. When last I heard they were about 60% of the way to goal of roughly 1billion.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

InsiderRoll wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:08 am
Can Opener wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:13 am

valaxfan

It doesn’t take more than a google search to look up that Gettysburg, Dickinson, HSC and F&M are listed among the most recommended safety schools for a W&L applicant.

Just like Trinity, Conn College, Union and St. Lawrence come up when you search for common safety schools of for a Middlebury applicant.

I don’t know why this is so upsetting for people. The Gettysburg program is excellent, there are great kids in that program that will have successful professional careers. But there are not tons of kids with Ivy level HS grades in that program. There just isn’t. And unfortunately for W&L, Amherst, Middlebury, Williams, Tufts and a few others. They are limited to selecting Ivy level applicants. If those schools had the limited selection pool and frequently lost admissible kids less strong academic schools, they would really suck. See 100 years of Vassar, Swarthmore, and Haverford lacrosse.

If there is one scenario that could come into play, it’s Gettysburg and Dickinsons large merit based scholarship program. Particularly when it comes to upper middle class income families that may not get financial aid offerings that they feel are helpful. But I have seen a number of families consider loans to attend a top ten school as well. That is why those two schools have such strong merit based programs, it is an effort to attract diversity and “steal” a few stronger applicants.

W&L is one of the only top tier liberal arts colleges that offers merit money through its Johnson scholarship. But my guess is very few lacrosse players earn that as it goes solely to the top 8-10% of admits. My understanding is it exists to try and steal admits from places like Harvard, Yale, Duke, MIT, etc. That is a full tuition/room and board scholarship with a $7500 yearly research grant. And that is the ONLY thing that would get someone to turn down Harvard to go to W&L. This whole thing is like getting upset at saying nobody chooses W&L over Harvard. Because that is largely true.
W&L is a wonderful school, but this is the sentence that you may want to edit: “Gettysburg, Dickinson, F&M and Denison are completely filled with guys that wanted places like W&L, Middlebury, Amherst, and Williams, but they were inadmissible.“ Completely filled? Not true. It is a foolish student/family who chooses their college based primarily on US News rankings and the like. And the prestige gap between W&L and the top Ivies is much larger than between W&L and Denison/Gettysburg/Dickinson. These are all very good small liberal arts schools that the vast majority of Americans have no real familiarity with.

It is not accurate to suggest that you need a 3.9 GPA to get into W&L. There are many more factors at play — legacy status, first gen college student, quality of courses, SAT/ACT, full pay applicant, quality of HS, etc. A quick glance at the rosters of Denison, Dickinson and Gettysburg reveals dozens of lacrosse players from some of the most prestigious private and public high schools in the country. These ain’t dummies attending those schools.

There are many reasons why a student athlete would select a “lower ranked” LAC over W&L. Here are a few, some of which you have pointed out:
* Chemistry with coach and team
* Play for a school with a long history of beating W&L in lacrosse
* Facilities (Denison, eg, will soon have a nicer lacrosse stadium)
* Geography (closer to home)
* Better need-based or academic merit package
* Availability of preferred major
* Avoiding an institution named for an insurrectionist who helped kill hundreds of thousands of innocent Americans defending slavery
* Family legacy at another institution
* Perceived better social life (does Amherst sound like a fun place for athletes?)
* Better presence on social media creating more “hype”
* NIL
* Play in a conference with fewer lowest quartile schools

Again, nothing but respect for W&L and its lacrosse tradition. Not all the factors above would matter in my school choice, but for many teenagers today they would. The world of college selection is much more layered today than even 20 years ago. Savvy families are much more conscious of “fit” and realize that the best academic ranking doesn’t equate to the best school for you.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

Can Opener wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:14 am * Avoiding an institution named for an insurrectionist who helped kill hundreds of thousands of innocent Americans defending slavery
With this logic. Why even follow lacrosse. What the Indians did to enemies was not something to be proud of
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

InsiderRoll wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:35 am Yes I didn’t mention W&Ls place in the pecking order because it would seem so outlandish to me that anyone would think W&L would beat out Yale or Harvard for a student (certainly not in lacrosse but in general). Apparently I needed to say that. ..
Nope, I don’t think anyone thought that W&L would beat out a Yale or Harvard. To think that is very outlandish and that seems to be a very self serving way of interpreting people commenting on the delivery of what you said…. Additionally, since they are vying for the same academic talent, it is therefore logical to realize that there are few cases where W&L is far and away the prospective student’s #1 choice.

Totally agree on all the other stuff. It will be interesting to see how these schools attempt to maintain an elite feel, presence, and name, when you take out standardized test scores, alumni donors, legacy acceptance and the like. The elite without the elite if you will.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

DeepPocket wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:31 am
InsiderRoll wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:35 am Yes I didn’t mention W&Ls place in the pecking order because it would seem so outlandish to me that anyone would think W&L would beat out Yale or Harvard for a student (certainly not in lacrosse but in general). Apparently I needed to say that. ..
Additionally, since they are vying for the same academic talent, it is therefore logical to realize that there are few cases where W&L is far and away the prospective student’s #1 choice.
This is literally my entire point. While W&L is certainly a first choice institution for many. It is not for the best of best academically. Harvard, Yale, MIT etc rarely lose a student to W&L without specific circumstances coming into play. The Johnson Scholarship being something that might make W&L more appealing. But by and large for most W&L is more expensive, less prestigious, and generally less exciting than a top 15 level national university.

This was my entire point with W&L and Gettysburg, Denison, Dickinson etc.

For most W&L is more desirable than those other schools. It is more prestigious, offers better financial aid, and better job placement. There are merit aid situations particularly as it relates to upper middle class families ($150k-$250k) that can impact decisions. But by and large W&L rarely losses admissible students to those schools.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

InsiderRoll wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:12 pm
DeepPocket wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:31 am
Additionally, since they are vying for the same academic talent, it is therefore logical to realize that there are few cases where W&L is far and away the prospective student’s #1 choice.
This is literally my entire point. While W&L is certainly a first choice institution for many. It is not for the best of best academically. Harvard, Yale, MIT etc rarely lose a student to W&L without specific circumstances coming into play. The Johnson Scholarship being something that might make W&L more appealing. But by and large for most W&L is more expensive, less prestigious, and generally less exciting than a top 15 level national university.

This was my entire point with W&L and Gettysburg, Denison, Dickinson etc.

For most W&L is more desirable than those other schools. It is more prestigious, offers better financial aid, and better job placement. There are merit aid situations particularly as it relates to upper middle class families ($150k-$250k) that can impact decisions. But by and large W&L rarely losses admissible students to those schools.
it's possible you may have missed others' point. had you said *most* or even *rarely*, that doesn't trip like *no one*.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPmO_LEZex8&t=323s

Gennies newest recruit, per IL, JJ Kim, Goalie, The Potomac School. Anyone know anything about him?

valaxfan
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

Kim is a Madlax teammate of Robert Bath. Cabl Maddox has glowing things to say about both players. I saw him play against St. Albans and he was a wall that kept Potomac in the game. They lost 11-10 in OT, but it wasn’t because of him. But time will tell because W&L is stacking up quite a few talented players at the goalie position.
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

That is a good get for W&L they should and are recruiting more DMV players.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Updated 2024 class per IL.

Robert Bath, M, Gonzaga, DC - MadLax - 5-10/180
IL 3-Star, 2023 Honorable Mention WCAC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0hcv0-xdtI&t=96s

Matt Blanton, D, Wesleyan School, GA - Team 91 National - 6-2/185
2023 GA 1A-4A 1st Team All-State
2x Team Captain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82zKgsJ9Tj0&t=54s

Jack Dalton, A, Lake Norman Charter, NC - Carolina Miners - 6-3/210
2022 US Lacrosse All-American
2023 US Lacrosse All-American
3x NC 1st Team All-State
2x NC State Champion
159pts in 2023. 374 Career points in 3 years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-22XLF897Ws&t=102s

Charlie Hodulik, D, Seton Hall Prep, NJ - Tri-State - 6-5/210
Varsity Football starting defensive end.
Old Film - https://youtu.be/G1ctGQNrXc8

J.J. Kim, G, Potomac School, VA - MadLax- 5-11/160
https://youtu.be/WPmO_LEZex8

J.D. Matson, DM, The Bolles School, FL - Florida Crabs - 6-1/195
Appears to be committed to play both football and lacrosse at W&L. Second football/lacrosse recruit in as many years.
https://www.hudl.com/profile/14898272/JD-Matson

James Meyer, M, Gilman, MD - Team 91 MD - 6-0/200
IL 3-Star
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdfkKiYDsZU&t=73s
- Fall Film

Carter Shallcross, D, Summit, NJ - STEPS - 6-0/190
2023 1st Team All-NJILL
2023 Kirst Cup Champion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_C1adNxfIo
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Brennan in this years class and Matson next year, both playing football and lacrosse. Brennan’s a WR so my hope is that there’s enough left of him come spring. Tough physically for a freshman it’s a big challenge. Academically playing 2 sports time management is huge. Hoping the frat scene can be managed, lax house or football? Matson wonder if they slotted him as an OLB? I will say this he’s a lock at Ssdm if the 2 freshman this past year move to another role. Kids got good size and speed. Noticed the 2024 LSM as well,Hudilak looks very good. Definitely recruiting some size to this roster. Hope all these kids stay healthy and enjoy their 4 years
Carroll81

Post by Carroll81 »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:50 pm Brennan in this years class and Matson next year, both playing football and lacrosse. Brennan’s a WR so my hope is that there’s enough left of him come spring. Tough physically for a freshman it’s a big challenge. Academically playing 2 sports time management is huge. Hoping the frat scene can be managed, lax house or football? Matson wonder if they slotted him as an OLB? I will say this he’s a lock at Ssdm if the 2 freshman this past year move to another role. Kids got good size and speed. Noticed the 2024 LSM as well,Hudilak looks very good. Definitely recruiting some size to this roster. Hope all these kids stay healthy and enjoy their 4 years
If he's a WR, he will be very well rested. Previous WR quit because he wasn't being used. :lol:
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

It’s an aerial show in Lex, c’mon. 16% of all plays are passing plays and I believe they had 2 touchdowns thru the air. Top receiver had 20 catches next had 10.There’s always special teams and d back roles to fill.

W&L moved to 2-1 in football. Brennan has 2 touches on 3 games. Just stay healthy ! If goal play improves and one of the freshman fogo’s are legit they may be up for another great season
Last edited by Dehuntshigwa’es on Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”