All Things Russia & Ukraine

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Lax Fidelis

Re: All Things Russia

Post by Lax Fidelis »

^^ Almost as remarkable as the two Russian tourists who just happened to be visiting the "great cathedral" of Salisbury.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Poor fellow. Just bad luck.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Lax Fidelis

Post by Lax Fidelis »

What's the line from a USN captain in The Hunt for Red October? The Russians don't take a dump without an order to do so.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

We get closer and closer to what Vlad has on The Disgrace.

Investigative Reporter Explains Trump's Role As a 'Russian Asset': He's 'Had Contacts with the Russian Mafia for 35 Years’

"In his new book “House of Trump, House of Putin: The Untold Story of Donald Trump and the Russian Mafia,” veteran investigative journalist Craig Unger presents a detailed and exhaustively researched account of how Donald Trump has for decades laundered billions of dollars for Russian organized crime figures and other oligarchs. This fits a larger pattern in which Trump and his inner circle have shown a great comfort with financial crimes and other forms of unethical or illegal behavior to personally enrich themselves at the expense of the American people.

Ultimately, Trump’s involvement with Russia’s criminal underworld may have created an opening for Putin and his agents to manipulate and control the man who would later become president of the United States."

tick...tick...tick...

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

And still no comment about my post a few weeks back. tick tick tick lyme disease sucks
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

Wasn't sure if this belonged in the Russia thread, Internet Trolls thread or Media thread.

Viral video of feminist pouring bleach on manspreaders debunked as Russian propaganda

Also tangential is the Bulls**t asymmetry principle - stating the amount of energy needed to refute stuff like that video is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it.

One other hilarious observation I saw was "the generation who told kids not to believe everything they see on the internet will believe anything they see on the internet"
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

tech37

Post by tech37 »

Last edited by tech37 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
a fan

Post by a fan »

So while we're making excuses as to why Trump is playing footsie with Putin.....everything from "we need Putin" to "we don't want another Cold War", to "we have to figure out how to get along, and you just don't get it"

Anyone noticing that it's, oh, about 1100pm, with midnight marking a Cold War with China? Near ship collision with a Chinese ship? No oil orders from the US in an entire month when China gets 25% of its petro from the US?

Russia is a piddly force. China is the real deal. They can turn not just our military lights out...they can turn our economic lights out too. Trump has doused this relationship in gasoline, and is reaching for the matches.

Comments? Who wants to put lipstick on this pig?
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

I am reading Graham Allison's book, Destined for War, which is about the likelihood in historical terms of China and the United States making a war. Allison bases the book on what he calls the Thucydidice's Trap: when a rising power moves to displace an established but weakened or weakening power, war is the most likely result. The book has a ton of good and interesting history (for the lay person, like me). And a chilling warning about China.

The Russians seem to be aimed at simply destabilizing every thing and every one. China has a plan and a long game.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

seacoaster wrote:I am reading Graham Allison's book, Destined for War, which is about the likelihood in historical terms of China and the United States making a war. Allison bases the book on what he calls the Thucydidice's Trap: when a rising power moves to displace an established but weakened or weakening power, war is the most likely result. The book has a ton of good and interesting history (for the lay person, like me). And a chilling warning about China.

The Russians seem to be aimed at simply destabilizing every thing and every one. China has a plan and a long game.
Ah Thucydides.....my son’s senior thesis incorporated an analysis...that was my first encounter.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

I know all you folks are waiting with bated breath for this years "Whinies". The award given to Russia Today for whining about their perceived enemies (sort of like Trumpnista). With no further ado;

10th place - Justin Trudeau
9th place - Bill Browder (Bill has made RT's list 3 years running)
8th place - Hillary Clinton (this is at least Hil's 2nd time on the list)
7th place - The Daily Beast
6th place - Michael McFaul (this is at least McFaul's 2nd time on the list)
5th place - UK Parliamentary Inquiry into Russian meddling in BREXIT vote
4th place - The UK Skripal News Anchors and Commentators
3rd place - Rachel Maddow (I believe this is Rachel's 2nd time on the list)
2nd place - Britain's Conservative Party
1st place - The Atlantic Council (American think tank)

Notably missing from the list are last years first and second place finishers, NATO, and Louise Mensch. Guys you gotta step up your game!

Congratulations to all the winners and for the Whiners, perhaps someone would be so kind as to pass them the cheese.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

There was an explosion in the Crimea. Looks like at least a dozen dead and another 3 dozen injured. Little info available at this time.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

The explosion reported in the Crimea was attributed to a loan gunman attacking a vocational school campus in the Crimea. About 20 dead and 50 injured at this time. The report of an explosion was bogus. All fatalities where caused by gun shot wounds. Gun used was a shotgun. No connection to terrorists, just a lone troubled 19 year old male student.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Russia election meddling : worse than a crime -- a blunder

U.S.-Russian hostility is now inevitable, and the results could be tragic.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Russians "blundered". Americans "broke the law"

Ignorance (and hubris) is hardly an excuse.

Those the Russians helped want to minimize and trivialize the matter.

The rest of the country wants to put a stop to it forcefully and persuade others that it will be VERY unwise (and harshly punished) to do it again. It's why we have law.

The meddling has had disastrous results.

dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

YEVGENIY PRIGOZHIN’S PAID TROLLS PROVE HIS LEGAL CHALLENGE TO HIS INDICTMENT TO BE FALSE

Someone is keeping track...well...along with Bobby Three Sticks.

Return to “POLITICS”