Georgetown vs Virginia in Qrtrs

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Creasedive

Re: Georgetown vs Virginia in Qrtrs

Post by Creasedive »

Correct. I am referring to the hit out of bounds.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

BigTom5 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 11:10 am
pcowlax wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:21 am
Creasedive wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:34 am That should be a penalty box post. Totally uncalled for, offensive and, least importantly, ignorant of lacrosse. UVA massacres Georgetown last game regardless of who is at FO. It is also not as if Reilly is TD. He is very good but not a game decider.
Fair enough. Deleted. Back to my original comment - I am sure Tiffany will take the same approach to this game as he took last time. Rough up the already injured FOGO. Just a matter of how far over the line he goes. 2021 was over the line.
Locking off adjacents and pressuring a fogo when matched up with an LSM isn’t an uncommon strategy, isn’t “over the line”, and doesn’t signify intent to injure. Reilly’s injury was a freak accident, he was hit from the side and landed funny. The penalty wasn’t called on the hit that caused the injury, it was called on Connors pushing him out of bounds when he was laying on the ground.

Are they going to pressure that matchup on Saturday when he has the ball in his stick? 100%, most good coaches would.
^100.
i imagine the hoyas from that day, and warne and co, don't like the way the game went down from a lot of perspectives. but most definitely, a physical one. they will no doubt be looking to have that be on a more even level this weekend.

whether that aspect takes either side out of their game or puts them at advantage/disadvantage will be something to watch if it happens.
UVAlaxfan

Post by UVAlaxfan »

Creasedive wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 11:19 am Correct. I am referring to the hit out of bounds.
I am suprised you didn't bring up haven monahan since you are imagining things to cry about, sabrina.

Will UVA play physical? Yes.

Is lacrosse a physical game? Yes.

Is there a women's NCAA lacrosse tourney that is less physical? Yes. Maybe G-town would like to have their men identify as women and play in that one?
Finster

Post by Finster »

UVAlaxfan wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 1:22 pm
Creasedive wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 11:19 am Correct. I am referring to the hit out of bounds.
I am suprised you didn't bring up haven monahan since you are imagining things to cry about, sabrina.

Is there a women's NCAA lacrosse tourney that is less physical? Yes. Maybe G-town would like to have their men identify as women and play in that one?

:lol:
DMV_Guy

Post by DMV_Guy »

You’re thinking of Penn - and Samantha Handley had a great season, so maybe take your bigotry elsewhere
Wife and four kids. I work at the Department of Motor Vehicles so please speak slowly. Posting in between shifts from the toilet.
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Creasedive wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:47 am
UVAlaxfan wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:29 am
Creasedive wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 8:41 am Like last time - I’m sure UVA will try to knock Reilly out of the game. Winning face offs with long possessions is key to a Hoyas victory. Expect extremely aggressive UVA wing play.
For sure especially if he goes out that easily. I like that you are already crying pregame.
Hmm. I must have struck a chord. Making the trip to Albany? Don’t forget your tiki torches!
If you are referencing unite the right it would be in line with your other incredibly insensitive comment. You do know they chose Charlottesville because it is one of the most liberal cities in the state. So swing and a miss twice for you. You need better material
UVAlaxfan

Post by UVAlaxfan »

DMV_Guy wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 5:24 pm

You’re thinking of Penn - and Samantha Handley had a great season, so maybe take your bigotry elsewhere
I don't know what you are talking about, but thanks for stopping by.
FishFood

Post by FishFood »

Boy oh boy did this thread devolve by some winners..

I did enjoy a lot of the early analysis. My quick thoughts:

1) Don’t underestimate these teams seeing each other early this year in a scrimmage. That matters personnel wise. Not schematically though. Both teams are playing different stuff now.

2) Two high powered offenses at this point. Hoos were that way from the get-go. Hoyas took a bit to get there. Neither team will struggle to find a goal on Saturday. High powered shooters appropriately positioned all over the field both sides.

3) Faceoff - I see this one very much interestingly! LaSalla gets his props as he’s solid but more on longevity than total dominance. He can come up big when needed, but not always. Reilly, often injured it seems, had just as solid numbers but can he do it when it counts? This is dual #1 of importance!

4) D Core - beginning of the year I’d say this was even. Hoos have it right now. Hoyas haven’t gelled the way one would have guessed and the loss of Mazzone was way more important than originally thought. The only knock on Bowen might be his inability to unite and lead an elite unit. The UVA monsters have the edge I’d say.

5) Goalie - Oddly the weak spot for both teams in terms of how elite the rest of the team are. Hoyas should have straight out pulled their goalie last week. Hoos seem content to hope for 50%. So weird given both teams top levels elsewhere.

6) Coaching - Tiffany gets the edge until proven otherwise. Warne’s lack of adjustments last year in Delaware were apparent. Yet, Warne did a great job with this years progression and has without question got the program back into the top 10. No small feat.

Prediction- Hoos go up early. Back to within 2 at the half. Neck and Neck in the 2nd half with the Hoos with a 1 goal win late. Hoyas proud but heartbroken
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

FishFood wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 12:01 am Boy oh boy did this thread devolve by some winners..

I did enjoy a lot of the early analysis. My quick thoughts:

1) Don’t underestimate these teams seeing each other early this year in a scrimmage. That matters personnel wise. Not schematically though. Both teams are playing different stuff now.

2) Two high powered offenses at this point. Hoos were that way from the get-go. Hoyas took a bit to get there. Neither team will struggle to find a goal on Saturday. High powered shooters appropriately positioned all over the field both sides.

3) Faceoff - I see this one very much interestingly! LaSalla gets his props as he’s solid but more on longevity than total dominance. He can come up big when needed, but not always. Reilly, often injured it seems, had just as solid numbers but can he do it when it counts? This is dual #1 of importance!

4) D Core - beginning of the year I’d say this was even. Hoos have it right now. Hoyas haven’t gelled the way one would have guessed and the loss of Mazzone was way more important than originally thought. The only knock on Bowen might be his inability to unite and lead an elite unit. The UVA monsters have the edge I’d say.

5) Goalie - Oddly the weak spot for both teams in terms of how elite the rest of the team are. Hoyas should have straight out pulled their goalie last week. Hoos seem content to hope for 50%. So weird given both teams top levels elsewhere.

6) Coaching - Tiffany gets the edge until proven otherwise. Warne’s lack of adjustments last year in Delaware were apparent. Yet, Warne did a great job with this years progression and has without question got the program back into the top 10. No small feat.

Prediction- Hoos go up early. Back to within 2 at the half. Neck and Neck in the 2nd half with the Hoos with a 1 goal win late. Hoyas proud but heartbroken
don't know about georgetown's goalie situation, but imo you're wrong about nunes. he has been v good to excellent.

target vs. uva is some of their shorties with secondary offensive personnel. they have not been buttoned up there defensively to date.
FishFood

Post by FishFood »

I wouldn’t call Nunes buttoned up. He’s consistently high 40’s to low 50’s in save %, but that’s not great. Gtown goalies on the other hand have save % that swing like a tech stock. Neither team has a 60% saver of the ball like you’d ideally hope.
HighnTight

Post by HighnTight »

Some stats:

Nunes: Record 12-3; GAA 11.473; Season % .529; Career .514

Hincks: Record 7-3; GAA 10.34; Season % .530; Career .538
HighnTight

Post by HighnTight »

And, fwiw, the other two goalies in Albany:

Carr: 10-6; 13.65; Season .430; Career .490

Helm: 14-2; 10.73; Season .516; Career ??
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

FishFood wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 9:03 am I wouldn’t call Nunes buttoned up. He’s consistently high 40’s to low 50’s in save %, but that’s not great. Gtown goalies on the other hand have save % that swing like a tech stock. Neither team has a 60% saver of the ball like you’d ideally hope.
to each his own. there isn't a 60% goalie in division 1, let alone on a top team. the arguably 2 top guys in that category are at 57, and nunes has dramatically outplayed the guy who'll likely be consensus 1st team now twice (3x including last year). 4% is one goal per game... vs 1st and 2nd teamers.

they have the #2 sos, and every goalie has more than a couple games @ .500 or lower. he's had 4 under, one @. so 10 over. one under was a complete blowout, and 2 were 5 and 7 goal wins. none sub 40.

he's over 55% in the back half of the season against top competition. d takes some risks for to's and he can be left out to dry. clearing has been a strength mostly. coordinating the d probably not so much. unfortunately, the hoos don't eat a lot of shots out front and instead screen the shooter on late approach, something the hoyas might take advanage of.

he won't have many 67% games, but consistency can be valuable. maybe the hoyas can catch him on a rare off day or just shoot great, but he hasn't been a weak link.
UVAlaxfan

Post by UVAlaxfan »

I'd say he had some bad games early in the year, or at least bad stretches of games. He has been pretty solid recently though. Hopkins -Towson-UMd was a bad stretch and maybe parts of Duke 1. But since then has been better and has been very good the last two games. Seems to be on a good trajectory hoping it holds up.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Hoxwurth wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:41 pm
HGK wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:25 pm
Finster wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:15 pm St. John’s (0-14) had their highest number of goals for the year against Georgetown. I’m going to go ahead and assume that the Wahoos could play their substitutes and score the same if not more as SJ. I can only imagine UVA’s starters if Lasalla goes off at 60%+.

As far as Gtown’s offense, Yales defense provides us no benchmark at all, since they also gave up 20, 17, 23, and 19 over the season.
This circular logic is of very little value. Is the fact that Georgetown destroyed Loyola, who beat UMD - who beat UVA give the Hoyas an edge? Of course not. Let’s please not use the SJU game and Yale’s highest goals allowed over a full season as a benchmark for what will happen Saturday.
The season should be reviewed overall. In retrospect, GT's first three games give a good idea about the team's quality: not as good as ND, equivalent to a solid JHU, and probably unlucky against Penn. GT's best games were against Denver. Whether that's the result of Denver-specific matchups or late season improvement isn't clear. I am unsure what to take away from the GT-Loyola game, but Loyola looked thoroughly outclassed by Army in their last game.

GT will score against Virginia's defense, which has improved from porous to serviceable. That "serviceable" level of defense is far superior to anything Yale could muster this season, and Virginia's offense is even better than Yale's. Think it's just as likely we see Virginia's backups getting playing time as GT winning.

^^^agree with your last paragraph
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

UVAlaxfan wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 11:59 am I'd say he had some bad games early in the year, or at least bad stretches of games. He has been pretty solid recently though. Hopkins -Towson-UMd was a bad stretch and maybe parts of Duke 1. But since then has been better and has been very good the last two games. Seems to be on a good trajectory hoping it holds up.
he played great against the terps. and kept them from being blown out in 1st game vs duke.

2 down games, and having seen a lot of uva games this year, i've never seen a 2 game stretch (big wins!) overblown into a narrative like that one has become. hope for more of the same of his play all year.
UVAlaxfan

Post by UVAlaxfan »

wgdsr wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 12:38 pm
UVAlaxfan wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 11:59 am I'd say he had some bad games early in the year, or at least bad stretches of games. He has been pretty solid recently though. Hopkins -Towson-UMd was a bad stretch and maybe parts of Duke 1. But since then has been better and has been very good the last two games. Seems to be on a good trajectory hoping it holds up.
he played great against the terps. and kept them from being blown out in 1st game vs duke.

2 down games, and having seen a lot of uva games this year, i've never seen a 2 game stretch (big wins!) overblown into a narrative like that one has become. hope for more of the same of his play all year.
Well he was really bad against hopkins so that did influence narrative. I think we will agree to disagree about the other games but has def been strong recently.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

UVAlaxfan wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 1:50 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 12:38 pm

Well he was really bad against hopkins so that did influence narrative. I think we will agree to disagree about the other games but has def been strong recently.
ok, but just umd as example terps had at least 6 g on the literal doorstep, hands free. 6! 3 more screened. 2 more that bounced into top corners, 1 of which no one is ever saving. they had 2-3 additional goals and he made 15 saves, several at least on the doorstep. me, i'll take that all day long.

he's been good all year, save a blip. hope he's up for big playoff games now as a soph.
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

UVA arrived on Thursday, that normal to arrive 2 days before the quarters?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CsZ1LEfMDVo ... IwNjQ2YQ==
HGK

Post by HGK »

Georgetown practiced on campus and then left for Albany today as well.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”