2023 NCAA Tournament

D1 Womens Lacrosse
ultravisitor

Re: 2023 NCAA Tournament

Post by ultravisitor »

madlaxer59 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:58 pm
Kleizaster wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:49 pm Surprised the board is so dead when such great games are going on all over..NW is struggling with UM but i expect them to pull away late..Richmond giving UNC all it can handle. JMU and MD stalemate. Florida and ND back and forth, 2 point game. Pull a name out of a hat as to who's winning it all this year
Was thinking same thing . Weirdly close games for NU and Carolina . Izzy having an off day for sure .
Oddly, the defense won it for Northwestern. Carleigh Mahoney with the game winning goal and Sammy White causing the turnover that prevented the Michigan clear with less than 15 seconds left.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

ND had a 5 goal lead with less than 10 mins to play. Florida just tied the game at 15. yikes..
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Irish win. Officials made the last 2-3 minutes down right dreadful.
njbill

Post by njbill »

BC dodges a bullet. Penn certainly had their chances. Some bad calls and some bad breaks, but the Eagles live to fight another day.

At least today, it looks like nobody wants to win the tournament this year.
madlaxer59

Post by madlaxer59 »

njbill wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 3:02 pm BC dodges a bullet. Penn certainly had their chances. Some bad calls and some bad breaks, but the Eagles live to fight another day.

At least today, it looks like nobody wants to win the tournament this year.
Hoping for loyola win today.
Another team with a lot of talent that can’t seem to get over that hump….
user1020

Post by user1020 »

UMD falling apart. Controlled the second half but let JMU take the lead late in the 4th.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

UMD falls to JMU, bringing a disappointing season to an end. I'll have a post mortem for the UMD program in the offseason because this was their season. Might be awhile before they win another ship
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Kleizaster wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 3:31 pm UMD falls to JMU, bringing a disappointing season to an end. I'll have a post mortem for the UMD program in the offseason because this was their season. Might be awhile before they win another ship
They'll return basically their entire offense but now the defense will be shaky with three starters leaving. But this team needs to do some soul searching, similar situation last year in the Final Four and just couldn't finish. Today was really a microcosm of their season. Could never put a complete game together.
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

Is it really such a good thing that Maryland's offense will be back next year? Did they even get much better over the course of this season?
jff97

Post by jff97 »

ultravisitor wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 3:37 pm Is it really such a good thing that Maryland's offense will be back next year? Did they even get much better over the course of this season?
I mean they shot it better today than against JMU than earlier this year, but I'm not sure either. They never had a true alpha that defense feared, just a lot of good to very good players. Showed today and other games where they would jump out to leads or hang with teams but you never quite felt comfortable down the stretch. Maybe they take the next step since more playing team means more chemistry and someone steps up to be the alpha, but given none of those players have been one during their career. I don't see it happening.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

jff97 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 3:48 pm
ultravisitor wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 3:37 pm Is it really such a good thing that Maryland's offense will be back next year? Did they even get much better over the course of this season?
I mean they shot it better today than against JMU than earlier this year, but I'm not sure either. They never had a true alpha that defense feared, just a lot of good to very good players. Showed today and other games where they would jump out to leads or hang with teams but you never quite felt comfortable down the stretch. Maybe they take the next step since more playing team means more chemistry and someone steps up to be the alpha, but given none of those players have been one during their career. I don't see it happening.
Also have to take into account the fact that alot of other teams will also be getting better. To beat really good teams consistently you need exceptional talent. Maryland doesn't have that. Perhaps Edmondson will turn into that but she can't do it alone. I think they need to focus on finding an identity and how they want to play, and committing to it 100%. A great system can help make up for what you lack in other areas. Not the prettiest or sexiest thing compared to the Maryland teams of old but until you get back to that level, options are limited.
user1020

Post by user1020 »

I agree. They need an identity. I think they almost expect the wins to come easily because they don’t play gritty or with an extra drive.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

That Syracuse upset looking unlikely.
madlaxer59

Post by madlaxer59 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 4:11 pm That Syracuse upset looking unlikely.
Hopkins looks like a bad high school team today
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

madlaxer59 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 4:12 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 4:11 pm That Syracuse upset looking unlikely.
Hopkins looks like a bad high school team today
Hopkins is playing a deep and very good team today. I think that's the real difference.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Kleizaster wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 4:02 pm
jff97 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 3:48 pm
Also have to take into account the fact that alot of other teams will also be getting better. To beat really good teams consistently you need exceptional talent. Maryland doesn't have that. Perhaps Edmondson will turn into that but she can't do it alone. I think they need to focus on finding an identity and how they want to play, and committing to it 100%. A great system can help make up for what you lack in other areas. Not the prettiest or sexiest thing compared to the Maryland teams of old but until you get back to that level, options are limited.
I think Leubecker's in that category too but she didn't show it this year since she was hampered by a calf injury.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Can not, can not, can not put the ball in D. Sweitzer's stick on the clear. Been an adventure all year which doesn't end well all too often. Makes bad decisions, bad passes and costs you goals. Give it to Maddy, Nattie, or Goodine and let them run it up.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

user1020 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 4:11 pm I agree. They need an identity. I think they almost expect the wins to come easily because they don’t play gritty or with an extra drive.
I agree with this too. They didn't have a killer instinct this year and never seemed to attack for an entire 60 minutes. Not sure how you develop that.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

DMac wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 4:28 pm Can not, can not, can not put the ball in D. Sweitzer's stick on the clear. Been an adventure all year which doesn't end well all too often. Makes bad decisions, bad passes and costs you goals. Give it to Maddy, Nattie, or Goodine and let them run it up.
Yup.
user1020

Post by user1020 »

Even though the don’t score much, I somehow love watching these Denver games. They bring excitement even when not scoring much. They can score some momentum shifting goals that I love to watch. (Big goal to end the USC game) & (Big goal to end 3rd vs UA)

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”