Michigan at Cornell

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Gobigred

Re: Michigan at Cornell

Post by Gobigred »

FannOLax wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:39 am
ICGrad wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:34 am
45wewantmore wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:56 am Apparently your last game doesn't count when you reach the play-offs

Yale ran thru and over Cornell in ILT semi final

31 shots by HT
Cornell only 3 saves by HT

That game should have been dead and buried instead of 12-8 HT
Cornell had one genuinely bad defensive performance out of 14 games. Are you suggesting that become the exclusive lens through which we evaluate them going forward?
Both Cornell and Yale had a flat game in their last ILT outing; therefore, both are toast in their first-round NCAA games. Obviously!
Maryland and Hopkins, too, I suppose. :roll:
coda

Post by coda »

I would not lump Yale in with that group. You could say Cornell's performance was an aberration. Perhaps it was just a singular terrible game. Yale has had multiple games where they were absolutely destroyed. One reason I thought they did not deserve to be in the tournament. They had 3 terrible losses, despite what the disciples of RPI say
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

Gobigred wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:10 am Maryland and Hopkins, too, I suppose. :roll:
Don't worry: The committee took care of Hopkins by giving them the easiest first round draw possible. Suitable reward for getting smacked by Maryland in the Big10 semis, I guess.

Were they facing Princeton, as they should be, then I would agree.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

ICGrad wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 12:13 pm
Gobigred wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:10 am Maryland and Hopkins, too, I suppose. :roll:
Don't worry: The committee took care of Hopkins by giving them the easiest first round draw possible. Suitable reward for getting smacked by Maryland in the Big10 semis, I guess.

Hopkins is the king of favorable tourney draws. The good news is that either JHU or ND will not play on Memorial Day weekend. The bad news is that one of them will be playing....
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

coda wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:34 am I would not lump Yale in with that group. You could say Cornell's performance was an aberration. Perhaps it was just a singular terrible game. Yale has had multiple games where they were absolutely destroyed. One reason I thought they did not deserve to be in the tournament. They had 3 terrible losses, despite what the disciples of RPI say
If the tournament selection changes to an ELO based approach in which margin of victory counts, then Yale losing badly to top 20 teams (Penn State, Cornell, Princeton) would be a relevant factor. However, probably to avoid regular season running up of the score, margin of victory is not an official tournament selection criteria (although obviously it can factor into the subjective views of the selectors). As it is, Yale's a team with a puncher's chance in the NCAA tournament. If they can get an advantage at the X (as happened against Cornell when Cornell's FOGO was hit with early violations); if they can score in transition; and if the Yale goalie (who is good) has a great day, they have a chance against most teams. But if any of those factors are not present, they are at risk of losing by a wide margin.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

Chousnake wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 12:22 pm

Hopkins is the king of favorable tourney draws.
If you include undeserved tourney invitations, they're King, Emperor, and Lord God Supreme...
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

you'd have to go back quite a long way to find a favorable draw. some of the committee members might've still been in school.

they did seem to catch a 1st round break this year.

michigan has lost 6 games, and not all of them have been worldbeaters. you have to win 4.
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

ICGrad wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:09 pm

If you include undeserved tourney invitations, they're King, Emperor, and Lord God Supreme...
My God...you pathetic Blue Jay haters are everywhere !
Put on your big boy pants and get out of the basement.
coda

Post by coda »

The Orfling wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:07 pm
coda wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:34 am I would not lump Yale in with that group. You could say Cornell's performance was an aberration. Perhaps it was just a singular terrible game. Yale has had multiple games where they were absolutely destroyed. One reason I thought they did not deserve to be in the tournament. They had 3 terrible losses, despite what the disciples of RPI say
If the tournament selection changes to an ELO based approach in which margin of victory counts, then Yale losing badly to top 20 teams (Penn State, Cornell, Princeton) would be a relevant factor. However, probably to avoid regular season running up of the score, margin of victory is not an official tournament selection criteria (although obviously it can factor into the subjective views of the selectors). As it is, Yale's a team with a puncher's chance in the NCAA tournament. If they can get an advantage at the X (as happened against Cornell when Cornell's FOGO was hit with early violations); if they can score in transition; and if the Yale goalie (who is good) has a great day, they have a chance against most teams. But if any of those factors are not present, they are at risk of losing by a wide margin.
This is the issue. I understand that the committee is a slave to RPI. I am pointing out that is a flaw. RPI is one of the simplest and worst models to base your selection. I have a hard time accepting a loss to Rutgers by 1 is a "bad loss" and a loss by 13 to Princeton is a "good loss". It is possible to try and balance the idea of who you play and how you play. Personally, I think if Yale was in the ACC they would have finished last. Yale can be dangerous, but you can say that about a team like Cuse if they got in. Yale is very similar to Michigan. Great offense and questionable defense. The big difference being Michigan is excellent at the X and Yale is more capable in goal (though Michigan finally made the necessary decision to put the freshman in goal. Carr started most the year and was one of the worst goalies in the country)
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

coda wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:31 pm
The Orfling wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:07 pm
This is the issue. I understand that the committee is a slave to RPI. I am pointing out that is a flaw. RPI is one of the simplest and worst models to base your selection. I have a hard time accepting a loss to Rutgers by 1 is a "bad loss" and a loss by 13 to Princeton is a "good loss". It is possible to try and balance the idea of who you play and how you play. Personally, I think if Yale was in the ACC they would have finished last. Yale can be dangerous, but you can say that about a team like Cuse if they got in. Yale is very similar to Michigan. Great offense and questionable defense. The big difference being Michigan is excellent at the X and Yale is more capable in goal (though Michigan finally made the necessary decision to put the freshman in goal. Carr started most the year and was one of the worst goalies in the country)
the committee isn't a slave to rpi every year anymore. good people can disagree on margin of victory. personally, i think it's a straight garbage idea. hoops uses it now.

i'm with herm edwards.
molo

Post by molo »

Get in, win, and don’t whine about the draw.
Lager

Post by Lager »

Hopkins fans coming out of the woodwork now that they are semi-relevant again
a fan

Post by a fan »

molo wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:11 pm Get in, win, and don’t whine about the draw.
+1

And let's not forget: Bryant sent Syracuse home in 2014, when SU was the #2 seed.

And four of the unseeded teams advanced out of the 1st round that year. It's a mistake to start counting chickens, if you ask me.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Lager wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 5:12 pm

You're now the fourth Cornell fan to post about Hopkins in this thread. Are you guys ok? It's going to be fine. I promise. Worry about the Wolverines.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 5:20 pm
Lager wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 5:12 pm

You're now the fourth Cornell fan to post about Hopkins in this thread. Are you guys ok? It's going to be fine. I promise. Worry about the Wolverines.
HopFan16, as the farm system for JHU head coaches throughout the 21st century, we have developed a certain sensitivity to the Blue Jay fortunes. Worry about Bryant.
coda

Post by coda »

Cohen out for Michigan is goi g to leave a mark
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

"internal issues within the program" before your first tournament game ever seems...ominous
ny10458

Post by ny10458 »

What's going on with Cohen?
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

ny10458 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 2:53 pm What's going on with Cohen?
See above
ny10458

Post by ny10458 »

jrn19 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 2:58 pm
ny10458 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 2:53 pm What's going on with Cohen?
See above
Ah, unfortunate.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”