SUNYAC 2019

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Olaxfan

Re: SUNYAC 2019

Post by Olaxfan »

Assuming Cortland beats Oswego it looks like a battle between Oswego and Oneonta on Saturday for the 4th playoff spot.
Whatyagonnado

Post by Whatyagonnado »

After watching this Brockport team for several games now, I would say it's time for a coaching change. The offense is anemic. They keep running the same kids in and expecting a different result. In watching Geneseo today, what a difference their change has made. They are going to be fun to watch the next few years.
fanOlax

Post by fanOlax »

Whatyagonnado wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:07 pm After watching this Brockport team for several games now, I would say it's time for a coaching change. The offense is anemic. They keep running the same kids in and expecting a different result. In watching Geneseo today, what a difference their change has made. They are going to be fun to watch the next few years.
I don't totally disagree with your post whatyagonnado but I definitely didn't see them running the same kids vs Geneseo or against most SUNYAC teams. Yesterday they ran 10 different offensive midfielders and 5 different attackmen. From an outsiders point of view that seems like a team that is lacking talent/players on the offensive end who can play at a competitive D3 level. Also, their starting goalie looked like he could not stop a beach ball yesterday, the second kid who went in did a good job. Geneseo did look good, but I would put them in the 3-5 range of SUNYAC and Brockport clearly 6 or 7. All in all definitely a down year for Brockport and a coaching change may have to be made if things don't turn around quickly.
Whatyagonnado

Post by Whatyagonnado »

fanOlax wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:38 pm
Whatyagonnado wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:07 pm After watching this Brockport team for several games now, I would say it's time for a coaching change. The offense is anemic. They keep running the same kids in and expecting a different result. In watching Geneseo today, what a difference their change has made. They are going to be fun to watch the next few years.
I don't totally disagree with your post whatyagonnado but I definitely didn't see them running the same kids vs Geneseo or against most SUNYAC teams. Yesterday they ran 10 different offensive midfielders and 5 different attackmen. From an outsiders point of view that seems like a team that is lacking talent/players on the offensive end who can play at a competitive D3 level. Also, their starting goalie looked like he could not stop a beach ball yesterday, the second kid who went in did a good job. Geneseo did look good, but I would put them in the 3-5 range of SUNYAC and Brockport clearly 6 or 7. All in all definitely a down year for Brockport and a coaching change may have to be made if things don't turn around quickly.
I am not sure what game you watched yesterday, until the game was 11-2 in the 3rd the same 3-4 middies and 3 attackman ran the show (except for a possession or two).. The freshman goalie stopped a few shots in the 1st but was unable to maintain that throughout the half and should have been pulled. I believe they were down by 5-6 before a time out was called. The guys cannot scoop up a ground ball if their lives depended on it. The coach played 2 defensive middies, that were clearly exhausted. I agree talent has a lot to do with it. However, you don't know what kind of talent you have, if the same few kids are on the field. A great move was made getting the freshman 19 on the field a few games ago and he is doing well. The coaches should have mixed up the lines several games ago to see what other talent has been sitting on the bench.
Olaxfan

Post by Olaxfan »

Just a general observation of the SUNYAC coaching. Excluding Cortland, none of the SUNYAC teams are making the NCAA playoffs without winning the conference. Which means the out of conference games are basically scrimmages as the wins and losses of out of conference games are irrelevant to playoffs. This is when the coaches should be playing the freshmen and the transfers, and not just in the last minutes of a blowout, so as to gauge what they can contribute in game situations. Why go out and recruit an all-county, all-conference or all-division player and just leave him on the bench untested, especially in meaningless out-of-conference games? You see more freshman playing at the D1 level than you do in the SUNYAC makes no sense.
Dr. Pretorious

Post by Dr. Pretorious »

Not being snarky - really not - but maybe the freshmen at the D-1 level, and even at the top D-3 programs, are just more talented than the freshmen in the SUNYAC (and therefore get more playing time)?
Olaxfan

Post by Olaxfan »

Impossible for a coach to know if they don't get played. What a player shows in practice is not always what he contributes in a game.
jusreLaxin

Post by jusreLaxin »

There a few reasons you see more freshman play in D1 and top D3 are that they are simply older. After being held back in their private school, some have PGed. They're showing up for their freshman year 20-21 years old. The whole time playing high-level lacrosse.
laxkid82

Post by laxkid82 »

@olaxfan .. being someone who has both played and coached in college that simply isn't true, and no coach would accept that. These coaches are with their players day in and day out. If a player doesn't have the mental fortitude to come to practice and put in 100%, why should any coach trust them to step in and play in a game?

The level of talent outside of starters, for every SUNYAC team not named Cortland, is minimal. At least for now, and it has gotten a lot better in recent years. There are very very rarely hidden gems that are "gamers".

Let me ask you all; if you're at work and are put in charge of assembling a team for a project to try and win over a big client, and have a coworker who is sloppy in their work and puts forth average effort day in and day out, would you say "Hey, we should give this man/woman a chance with this big client, maybe they're a gamer?"... probably not right?

End of the day these coaches are charged with WINNING and building a culture of winning. How can they do that if they are emptying their bench against below average teams like Hartwick and losing by 6?
Olaxfan

Post by Olaxfan »

With all due respect you're entitled to your opinion though I completely disagree with.. In addition, you add false facts that aren't true in what I stated. I never said you should play kids who slack off in practice. I said coaches recruit all county players and than don't give them a chance to play in meaningless out of conference games just because they are freshmen.. And there are definitely players that shine more in games than they do in practice. Look at the current Geneseo coaches playing history as an example of a player who should have gotten more playing time before he won a national championship coming off the bench.
laxkid82 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 9:15 am @olaxfan .. being someone who has both played and coached in college that simply isn't true, and no coach would accept that. These coaches are with their players day in and day out. If a player doesn't have the mental fortitude to come to practice and put in 100%, why should any coach trust them to step in and play in a game?

The level of talent outside of starters, for every SUNYAC team not named Cortland, is minimal. At least for now, and it has gotten a lot better in recent years. There are very very rarely hidden gems that are "gamers".

Let me ask you all; if you're at work and are put in charge of assembling a team for a project to try and win over a big client, and have a coworker who is sloppy in their work and puts forth average effort day in and day out, would you say "Hey, we should give this man/woman a chance with this big client, maybe they're a gamer?"... probably not right?

End of the day these coaches are charged with WINNING and building a culture of winning. How can they do that if they are emptying their bench against below average teams like Hartwick and losing by 6?
fanOlax

Post by fanOlax »

Olaxfan- I don't disagree with you but you are also bringing what seems to be a personal opinion. It sounds to me like either you or your son were recruited to play at a SUNYAC school after being an all county player in high school. Now you're most likely a part of a team and not happy with playing time. Anyone who has been a part of a team sport in college should know that non-conference games are far from meaningless. Just because your W/L in those games are not going to be the reason you get an at large bid does not make them pointless for teams.

What it comes down to at the end of the day is what you did in High School doesn't matter at all once you step on campus. I am sure there are plenty of HS AA who go D1 and don't step on the field at all as a freshmen. Learn to take your lumps like those who came before you did and show what you can do in practice so when a starter is underperforming you are the first name that comes to your coaches mind. As far as the Geneseo coach getting more playing time you are saying that about a team that lost 1 game in the four years he was there...seems like the other goalie/goalies that were playing did OK too.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”