Regulation - Too Much or Too Little?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
holmes435

Re: Regulation - Too Much or Too Little?

Post by holmes435 »

HooDat wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:50 am I will raise my hand and say that for most consumers - the future is cellular not fiber.
Maybe not now, but back in the 90's and 2000's telecoms weren't shy about taking billions tax breaks in return for "investing" in fiber, which never materialized for most consumers.

You've Already Paid $2,000 For A Fiber Connection You'll Never Get

Even if cellular is going to be for the end product for consumers, there still needs to be fiber backbones connecting them.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Re: Regulation of the economy in general I suggest reading Hyman Minsky’s book published about 2005 or so. A few years before 2008. Not that I think anyone will read it. Lessons that should have been learned by 2008 forgotten and economic theories that proved bankrupt are still here and malfunctioning. Remember the Great moderation ? Poof. Remember we have solved the business cycle? Poof. As Greenspan said after he retired everything he thought he knew was wrong. He was mostly right
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... nformation How do you regulate this? This has to force everyone reading anything on the internet to question its authenticity.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

Even without bots doing it you had people writing stupid and fake stuff on the internet for years.

Before that you had people in their basements writing newsletters with similar garbage for decades, some for schlitz and giggles and some because they were deranged.

There's a reason credible news organizations are so important in the world, and even they screw up. But attacking them wholesale just gives rise to more belief in that type of garbage.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

holmes435 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:21 pm There's a reason credible news organizations are so important in the world, and even they bag up. But attacking them wholesale just gives rise to more belief in that type of garbage.
this is so true as to be tragic. And you can blame Trump if you want, but the news organizations did it to themselves. Trump merely struck the cord.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Vaping has been discussed on the Orange Douche thread but perhaps it should be more fully explored on this one. This because it appears that it is the lack of regulation that has been the problem:

Experts say a lack of regulation led to mysterious vaping illness
Pesticides, heavy metals, and flavoring chemicals could all be at the heart of a nationwide vape-related epidemic

https://www.salon.com/2019/09/03/expert ... g-illness/

“The fact that e-cigarette have been allowed to be in this unregulated quasi-state for so long is really why we are here now,”

A new report was presented on TV today as yet another person's death was attributed to vaping contaminants. How many more must die before proper regulation is imposed? Hopefully some day soon the right wingers will overcome their delusional idea that, somehow, regulation is some kind of sin or is harmful to society.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

attempt to regulate vapes contested by those interested in profits over people:

https://www.wbur.org/bostonomix/2019/09 ... -cigarette

3 Vape Shops Sue Baker Administration Over Ban

Three vape shops sued the Baker administration Sunday over the state's emergency four-month ban on sales of e-cigarette products, a ban that their lawyer said amounts to a "death sentence."

Owners of Mass Dynamics in Weymouth, Boston Vapor in Salem, New Hampshire, and Vick's Vape Shop in Medford filed a complaint in federal court alleging that the ban is unconstitutional and will do irreparable harm to their businesses.

Craig O'Rourke, their attorney, told the News Service on Monday that he has heard from several other stores interested in joining the suit. People in the industry are worried they will not be able to cover rent, wages and other expenses, he said, since vape sales have been suspended until Jan. 25, 2020.

Vape shops know they will not have to be pay taxes to finance the health care of those victimized by their greed. As always, to these people, the public be damned.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

This is a battle I don't see Trump winning, no matter what any court says. You'll have half the (23) states not allowing the sale of automobiles that don't meet the tougher standards. Half the auto manufacturers don't support Trump's position. It will throw a major segment of the economy into total chaos.

Note the 23 states are the richest, most populous states with the better economic performance, with the most automobile sales. The "giver" states vs the "taker" states squaring off over a "states rights" issue.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

Heavy handed Trump government to regulate Amazon by cracking down on counterfeit goods sold there

Why not just let the free market take care of it?

Satirical commentary aside, as a manufacturer we sell a lot of our products on Amazon. We haven't had counterfeits since we make everything here in the US, but colleagues in entrepreneur groups I'm in have plenty of horror stories to tell. Amazon has responded with a few new programs over the years to curtail this and let manufacturers and brand owners take better control of how their products are sold on the site. It's been a slow go though, and in some cases it's simply playing whack-a-mole.

As well, since most of Amazon is essentially a giant consignment store nowadays with their "Fulfilled by Amazon" program, overseas manufacturers don't even need to counterfeit products - they just create their own brand with a cheap trademark, send their product to Amazon warehouses, gin up a bunch of reviews and they're on their way to millions in revenue.

The whole thing stinks more of Trump's personal vendetta against Bezos, but if it results in Amazon being more pro-active in some of these situations, I'll certainly give credit where credit is due. Time will tell.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Fans of Deregulation......Wyoming passed a great bill that sidesteps the FDA's laws that greatly benefit massive meat processing plants, and gives power back to local farmers, ranchers, and butchers. It will also decentralize our food system, deleveraging risk of massive problems because a handful of plants feeds the whole nation.

Freaking awesome. Hope it hits Colorado asap, but I'm sure BigAg/Meat will fight future laws like this one. I have a friend who lost his old world sausage making plant to out of date Draconian FDA rules.

And for Pete Brown? Not one Dem voted against the bill. Passed unanimously.

Wyoming’s groundbreaking Food Freedom Act has served as a national model for how states can deregulate many in-state food sales. The five-year-old law opened up many previously illegal food transactions in Wyoming, and has delivered on its promise to benefit ranchers, other food entrepreneurs, and consumers alike. And it’s done so without a single case of foodborne illness being tied to any foods sold under the law.

The law also keeps getting better. As I detailed in a column just last month, an amendment to the Act will allow low-risk foods such as homemade jams to be sold in grocery stores and sold and consumed in restaurants.

That was great news. But yet another new amendment to the law, passed last month and set to take effect in July, could further bolster the fortunes of ranchers and consumers in the state.

A new animal share amendment will let consumers buy individual cuts of meat directly from ranchers though an animal-share agreement, completely outside of the typical U.S. Department of Agriculture inspection regime. That’s something that’s still illegal in the other 49 states. It’s also why the Wyoming law could be a game changer for ranchers in the state and—should other states follow suit—a valuable new revenue stream for farmers and ranchers across the country.

https://county17.com/2020/04/07/new-wyo ... consumers/
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

undocumented workers and lack of regulation in meat plants:

they get sick and then pass the illnesses unto you and your children ~ still think it's a good idea to deregulate industries?

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Still believe we have too much regulation?

Trump Team Killed Rule Designed To Protect Health Workers From Pandemic Like COVID-19

https://www.npr.org/2020/05/26/86201848 ... c-like-cov

Makes the words "I inherited a mess" sound even more stupid than the idiot tRUMP intended.

dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Supreme Court Strikes Down Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Leadership

Another way that Dems and Cons are NOT all the same...OK sure, the president can remove anyone he/she pleases...but underlying this situation is a troubling issue...

"The political significance of the case has always been much greater than the technical question at its core. Ever since Congress created the CFPB in 2010, the financial industry has been trying to disarm and destroy the agency. Between its inception and President Donald Trump’s inauguration, the CFPB returned nearly $12 billion to defrauded consumers ― money that payday lenders, Wall Street banks and others would very much like to have kept for themselves. And so bank lawyers drafted various legal challenges to the CFPB, hoping to distract the agency with lengthy court battles and ultimately to make it impossible for the agency to function."

Money Shot: "...the CFPB returned nearly $12 billion to defrauded consumers..." and thus this agency has had NOTHING but persecution since it was formed...

Wrong on so many levels.

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

https://www.vice.com/en/article/m7agpa/ ... l-contract

I was not sure where to post this. It is always good to know that Big Brother really is watching everyone.
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:10 am https://www.vice.com/en/article/m7agpa/ ... l-contract

I was not sure where to post this. It is always good to know that Big Brother really is watching everyone.
This is why I always laugh at the "microchip" vaccine crowd. Most of the US is literally carrying around a device in their pocket with all their information on it, that can listen to them and track them. And to go even further, people download tons of apps and allow those apps to use and sell their data.

So I guess the question is that if people are willing to give away their location data for free, is it really warrantless for the .gov to search it?
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

holmes435 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:33 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:10 am https://www.vice.com/en/article/m7agpa/ ... l-contract

This is why I always laugh at the "microchip" vaccine crowd. Most of the US is literally carrying around a device in their pocket with all their information on it, that can listen to them and track them. And to go even further, people download tons of apps and allow those apps to use and sell their data.

So I guess the question is that if people are willing to give away their location data for free, is it really warrantless for the .gov to search it?
Good question, I don't use any aps and never give away my personal info to anyone. It sounds like to me the gubmint us trolling for all the data they can get.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

https://image.politicalcartoons.com/248 ... ndence.png

So let's hear from all those delusionals who swear by de-regulation. We'll wait ....

PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

HooDat wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:30 am
Brooklyn wrote:All to often, thanks to Republican politricks, we are stuck with the stupidity of privatizing profits and socializing losses/costs. The solution, of course, is to have more regulation and the imposition of preventive measures.
in order to do it properly we need to be able to build in some form of accountability. I get the sense that honor, duty and integrity guided most of our bureaucrats in the past - that has been missing from government service for something like 40 years. Without motivation to provide great service - an over-regulated world will also fall flat. Also, regulatory bodies (aka bureaucracies) tend to prioritize growth over all else. Authority creep is a key part of any ambitious bureaucrat's agenda. So if we are going to go with increased/enhanced regulation, we should be mindful of the need to explicitly set boundaries and expectations.
"I get the sense that honor, duty and integrity guided most of our bureaucrats in the past - that has been missing from government service for something like 40 years."

What's the source of that PIDOMA? That is what the Republitards have been saying for 40 years. Now, does that make it true?
Last edited by PizzaSnake on Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:47 am
holmes435 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:33 am

Good question, I don't use any aps and never give away my personal info to anyone. It sounds like to me the gubmint us trolling for all the data they can get.
If you use a "smart phone" or computer online you are leaking data like a sieve. The big data harvesters are Google and Facebook.

Don't kid yourself -- your online behavior is the grease that makes the Internet (and, increasingly, the economy) turn.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Funny how the r's are all for free market and de-regulation, until they see a uterus...
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Return to “POLITICS”