2023 Preseason Inside Lacrosse Media Poll

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: 2023 Preseason Inside Lacrosse Media Poll

Post by Farfromgeneva »

chosen1lax wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:28 pm
wgdsr wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:35 pm
chosen1lax wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:26 pm Harvard to the Ivy League is like Michigan to the B10.
They beat up on inferior OOC opponents and benefit from being in a strong conference. Last year Harvard benefitted from sneaking out some Ivy wins, Michigan did not win a single B10 game.
I am happy to see them schedule UVA, but outside of that, OOC is something to be desired
why is everything *sneaking*? they beat boston who handled the patriot. they beat a top 5 ivy and a top 10 ivy. name 8 teams who did better at beating top teams.
Harvard will need to build on last year, not have it be an anomaly. They benefitted from Ivy as a whole being strong, cant rely on that. I think teams that are currently ranked behind them like St Joes, Denver, Jacksonville, Richmond and UNC will all finish the season in better shape than Harvard. I will eat crow if the Crim prove me wrong
You like wing sauce, bbq sauce, dry rub or some other flavoring for crow?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

chosen1lax wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:34 pm
Gobigred wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:03 pm
chosen1lax wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:26 pm Harvard to the Ivy League is like Michigan to the B10.
They beat up on inferior OOC opponents and benefit from being in a strong conference. Last year Harvard benefitted from sneaking out some Ivy wins, Michigan did not win a single B10 game.
I am happy to see them schedule UVA, but outside of that, OOC is something to be desired
Lotta nonsense written above. Michigan is utterly irrelevant to this discussion.
It's called drawing a comparison to perennial bottom feeders of strong leagues. Thats what they have in common.
More nonsense. Michigan is irrelevant to what Harvard accomplished last year. You show your bias with your "sneaking out" comment. Did Maryland "sneak out" a win in the championship game? Harvard won those games against tournament teams, one a Final Four team. Just like Maryland won the championship game. Not by sneaking; by winning.
chosen1lax

Post by chosen1lax »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:22 pm
chosen1lax wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:50 pm
wgdsr wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:34 pm
Lotta nonsense written above. Michigan is utterly irrelevant to this discussion.
It's called drawing a comparison to perennial bottom feeders of strong leagues. Thats what they have in common.
but you misspelled dartmouth.
8 wins and 16 loses in conference since 2017 put the crimson and big green together in the basement IMO
so you get your own definition of basement? both from when they started in 2015 and in your cutoff scenario, michigan's conference win% and final league position is comp to dartmouth not harvard and it's not close.

i.e. win % .117 to .027 vs .361. none of which has anything to do with last year and a new coach. in 2 b1g games last year, they managed to go .500. why? because they literally went up to ann arbor and beat... michigan! by 5 goals. couldn't make this stuff up! looks like they might've won the patriot also!

had you not come on to roast harvard for their best season in recent memory because... they're preseason ranked #13 of all things... getting all kinds of love!!! maybe we wouldn't point these things out. or maybe that was the objective?

how did 'nova do in the ivy last year?
I am calling it how I see it. In the words of Gobigred "Nova is utterly irrelevant in the discussion" so i do not see why you are bringing them up to move the goalposts. As mentioned the ACC has gotten the treatment that the Ivy league got last year for years. The new coach has exceeded expectations in year one, but unless he follows up, it is an aberration as stated from previous years records, they did not even make their league tournament last year for crying out loud. Also if we are going to nitpick they were 1-2 in B10 games Rutgers plays in that league and handled them 19-9.

I came on to call into question their preseason ranking being 13 thats it, play victim all you want, but opinions aside, i am just calling out the results.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

chosen1lax wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:35 pm
8 wins and 16 loses in conference since 2017 put the crimson and big green together in the basement IMO
so you get your own definition of basement? both from when they started in 2015 and in your cutoff scenario, michigan's conference win% and final league position is comp to dartmouth not harvard and it's not close.

i.e. win % .117 to .027 vs .361. none of which has anything to do with last year and a new coach. in 2 b1g games last year, they managed to go .500. why? because they literally went up to ann arbor and beat... michigan! by 5 goals. couldn't make this stuff up! looks like they might've won the patriot also!

had you not come on to roast harvard for their best season in recent memory because... they're preseason ranked #13 of all things... getting all kinds of love!!! maybe we wouldn't point these things out. or maybe that was the objective?

I am calling it how I see it. In the words of Gobigred "Nova is utterly irrelevant in the discussion" so i do not see why you are bringing them up to move the goalposts. As mentioned the ACC has gotten the treatment that the Ivy league got last year for years. The new coach has exceeded expectations in year one, but unless he follows up, it is an aberration as stated from previous years records, they did not even make their league tournament last year for crying out loud. Also if we are going to nitpick they were 1-2 in B10 games Rutgers plays in that league and handled them 19-9.

I came on to call into question their preseason ranking being 13 thats it, play victim all you want, but opinions aside, i am just calling out the results.
ummm... because you discounted harvard's performance and you have an idea how villanova was? you didn't just call out the results. you brought up records from 6 years ago to show that their results last year were, in fact, much improved. so the antithesis of your argument. then u came up with michigan somehow, even though they're nothing alike. and who ironically harvard smoked on the road last year!

what does play victim mean, i don't consider myself a victim? fyi... no league gets "the treatment". people all lining up on leagues and conferences is a football thing. maybe basketball, too now that there are so few good ooc games.
chosen1lax

Post by chosen1lax »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:02 pm

ummm... because you discounted harvard's performance and you have an idea how villanova was? you didn't just call out the results. you brought up records from 6 years ago to show that their results last year were, in fact, much improved. so the antithesis of your argument. then u came up with michigan somehow, even though they're nothing alike. and who ironically harvard smoked on the road last year!

what does play victim mean, i don't consider myself a victim? fyi... no league gets "the treatment". people all lining up on leagues and conferences is a football thing. maybe basketball, too now that there are so few good ooc games.
haha you are too funny. i had to go back 6 years because there were no ivy league games in 2020 and 2021. figured that was the right sample size. If anything i complemented the Ivy for being such a tough league. villanova is a mid tier team in a upper mid league which again i am not sure why they are being brought into the conversation. I compared them to UM because they are a team that does not always perform in a great league, just like harvard. we are going in circles, i am sorry i offended you. I hope little johnny gets some PT this year when they are blowing out UVM
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Cheeseandcrackers wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:13 pm
TheBigIguana wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:53 am
keno in reno wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:54 pm Not sure how a team that lost 63% of its goals should be #2. Right now, I think the Terps are overrated. Means nothing, but they gotta be the least proven offense in the top 10
Because they've missed two final fours since 2011. They've lose players before. They're Alabama football. Top 5 until they aren't.
Don't you mean Georgia football?
Nope
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

chosen1lax wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:21 pm
wgdsr wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:02 pm

haha you are too funny. i had to go back 6 years because there were no ivy league games in 2020 and 2021. figured that was the right sample size. If anything i complemented the Ivy for being such a tough league. villanova is a mid tier team in a upper mid league which again i am not sure why they are being brought into the conversation. I compared them to UM because they are a team that does not always perform in a great league, just like harvard. we are going in circles, i am sorry i offended you. I hope little johnny gets some PT this year when they are blowing out UVM
does not always perform, michigan's 6 and 45!!!!

anyway, harvard's got a new coach and i hope they're on teevee this year. maybe nova, too if anything's off that streaming network. campbell can play.

hope you made the best call for all involved on holding your kid back for lacrosse in 8th grade, there cowboy.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

rolldodge wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:05 pm https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... otes/60569

1 Virginia (0 - 0) 506 (14) --
2 Maryland (0 - 0) 496 (8) --
3 Georgetown (0 - 0) 442 (1) --
4 Cornell (0 - 0) 438 --
5 Notre Dame (0 - 0) 411 (3) --
6 Princeton (0 - 0) 387 --
7 Yale (0 - 0) 341 --
8 Duke (0 - 0) 340 --
9 Rutgers (0 - 0) 294 --
10 Penn (0 - 0) 293 --
11 Ohio State (0 - 0) 287 --
12 Delaware (0 - 0) 199 --
13 Harvard (0 - 0) 168 --
14 Boston U (0 - 0) 150 --
15 Saint Joseph's (0 - 0) 144 --
16 Brown (0 - 0) 116 --
17 Denver (0 - 0) 114 --
18 Jacksonville (0 - 0) 89 --
19 North Carolina (0 - 0) 86 --
20 Richmond (0 - 0) 30 --

Receiving Votes:

Syracuse, Navy, Army, Michigan, Villanova, Loyola, Utah, Vermont, UMass, Johns Hopkins, Stony Brook
Johns Hopkins received votes!!!!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BBZ7AfZR9xs

DocBarrister :D
@DocBarrister
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

Correct…especially because Michigan shouldn’t be mentioned in any conversation talking about the top teams…until they actually prove they can earn a winning record in conference.

Harvard was good last year and the had some really solid wins…Princeton being one of them and as we all know, Princeton was a very very good team last team

No shame in Harvard losing to Rutgers like that. They walked into a buzz saw and that happens. Rutger was very very good last year and your Cornell team really put it on them in the semis…Cornell was playing its best lacrosse of the year that final weekend…

Can’t wait for this to get going.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

speaking of meeshegan, the rest of anish's twitter post should be included:
"... and @UMichLacrosse is making the NCAA Tournament this year."

i guess the season can officially begin.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:19 pm speaking of meeshegan, the rest of anish's twitter post should be included:
"... and @UMichLacrosse is making the NCAA Tournament this year."

i guess the season can officially begin.
It’s Lacrosse Season!!
“I wish you would!”
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

Surprised High Point not on the list
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Turnandrake wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:47 pm Surprised High Point not on the list
Nolting is gone.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Turnandrake wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:47 pm Surprised High Point not on the list
When was the last time they were a Top 20 team? like 4 years ago?
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:54 pm
Nolting is gone.
Still handle Loyola and Syracuse in the fall pretty easy. Again it’s fall.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jrn19 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:12 pm
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

Turnandrake wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:21 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:54 pm
Nolting is gone.
Still handle Loyola and Syracuse in the fall pretty easy. Again it’s fall.
I think Loyola played Syracuse and Nova in that fall scrimmage

High Point was there, but they played Cuse and Nova
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

Right preseason top 20 is more of popularity contest then anything lacrosse related on the field
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

High point is expected to finished 4th or lower in the A10 this year. Bucknell will be better
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:30 pm
Maybe? They were 2nd or 3rd in a pretty meh conference that year, won the AQ, then got blown out in the tournament.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”