Toughest/Softest Lacrosse Schedule 2023?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: Toughest/Softest Lacrosse Schedule 2023?

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:22 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:27 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:12 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:03 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:58 pm
ICGrad wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:51 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:04 pm Much like life, it’s the haves and the have nots.
Yes
youthathletics wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:04 pm Just another reason why RPI should not be the barometer metric in lacrosse.
Double yes
Last year, Notre Dame deserved a bid beating Detroit, Michigan, Marquette, Duke , UNC and Syracuse. None of them made the NCAA but ND and Duke “deserved” a bid….ask Quint and Anish.
notre dame beat duke twice. and they were #7. what were tosu's and rutgers' best wins?
duke beat more teams in the top 20 than anyone ever has and been left out. by 2, 5 to 3.

but the system is fine. can't wait for selection sunday. i'm ready.
Well then let's just call the season and crown ND now.
i am sooo looking forward to the posts on teams left out. think you may be among them? who's your squad?
You mean like every year when a bubble team is left out? You mean those posts? Read them from last year….no need to wait.
most people have no idea how it works. now, no one does. who is your team?
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

ACC needs to stop playing each other twice
Pensky Material

Post by Pensky Material »

Turnandrake wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:45 pm ACC needs to stop playing each other twice
I believe that will be the case again starting in 2024.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Turnandrake wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:45 pm ACC needs to stop playing each other twice
they need to have the #5 team stop playing 2 teams twice.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:26 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:04 pm Much like life, it’s the haves and the have nots.
Yes
youthathletics wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:04 pm Just another reason why RPI should not be the barometer metric in lacrosse.
Double yes
Last year, Notre Dame deserved a bid beating Detroit, Michigan, Marquette, Duke , UNC and Syracuse. None of them made the NCAA but ND and Duke “deserved” a bid….ask Quint and Anish.
notre dame beat duke twice. and they were #7. what were tosu's and rutgers' best wins?
duke beat more teams in the top 20 than anyone ever has and been left out. by 2, 5 to 3.

i am sooo looking forward to the posts on teams left out. think you may be among them? who's your squad?
You mean like every year when a bubble team is left out? You mean those posts? Read them from last year….no need to wait.
Princeton Tigers. Made it last year. Last best chance was 2015 prior to last year. On the bubble. I thought they deserved an invite that season but my opinion didn’t count in that selection room. The post selection snippets aren’t a substitute for being in the room.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:01 pm
Yes
Double yes

Princeton Tigers. Made it last year. Last best chance was 2015 prior to last year. On the bubble. I thought they deserved an invite that season but my opinion didn’t count in that selection room. The post selection snippets aren’t a substitute for being in the room.
i was asking snake. or pizza. the *selection room* is funny. win your conference. all other bets are off.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Yes
Double yes

The season hasn’t even started, fer chrissakes!

Let’s let the teams play and THEN yak.

Penn.

And whatever the results, I am not part of any team, just a spectator.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:08 pm
Yes
Double yes

i was asking snake. or pizza. the *selection room* is funny. win your conference. all other bets are off.
or non-conference schedule.
How much does the committee depend on the RPI compared with other factors?

The RPI is just one of many factors used by the committee. Each committee member must weigh each factor available and make his or her own decision regarding its importance. Clearly, the RPI will be more helpful to a committee member when evaluating a team out of out his/her region, especially if he/ she has never seen them play. If a committee member is evaluating two or more teams, a wide difference in RPI rank can be a factor. How “wide” is “wide”? A good rule of thumb is 20 or more ranking places, as well as the actual mathematical difference between RPI rankings.

Plenty of people actually watched Notre Dame lose to good teams.
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

PizzaSnake wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:16 pm
Yes
Double yes

The season hasn’t even started, fer chrissakes!

Let’s let the teams play and THEN yak.

Penn.

And whatever the results, I am not part of any team, just a spectator.
ok, ok. you jumped in, tho? i understand you're not actually on the team.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:18 pm
Yes
Double yes

The RPI is just one of many factors used by the committee. Each committee member must weigh each factor available and make his or her own decision regarding its importance. Clearly, the RPI will be more helpful to a committee member when evaluating a team out of out his/her region, especially if he/ she has never seen them play. If a committee member is evaluating two or more teams, a wide difference in RPI rank can be a factor. How “wide” is “wide”? A good rule of thumb is 20 or more ranking places, as well as the actual mathematical difference between RPI rankings.
lol. tl;dr

i am going with what the committee says. lock, stock and barrel.

i used to think we had this debate because we cared that the most deserving teams got in. now, i think the debate mostly happens because peeps want their team to get in.

so i am with the committee. it's what the people and the coaches want.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:22 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:18 pm
Yes
Double yes

lol. tl;dr

i am going with what the committee says. lock, stock and barrel.

i used to think we had this debate because we cared that the most deserving teams got in. now, i think the debate mostly happens because peeps want their team to get in.

so i am with the committee. it's what the people and the coaches want.
“Deserved” is sometimes a matter of opinion. Make it next to impossible for them not to take you. That has always been my motto. I am still looking for something that says RPI is the only criteria for at large. I know the two are often in sync but that’s called serendipity….I thought Duke would be in and Harvard out last year.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

deserving is a bad word. rpi isn't even supposed to be one criterion, never mind the only one.

there is only one that matters now. smoke 'em if ya got 'em!
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:37 pm deserving is a bad word. rpi isn't even supposed to be one criterion, never mind the only one.

One Final Note

While it no doubt is clear from reading this document that the authors believe the RPI is an excellent tool for the Division I Men’s Lacrosse Committee, it also must be said that at no time has the NCAA staff or the committee ever desired to use the RPI as the sole factor in determining selection or seeding. There never will be a better way to select teams than the current committee process, no matter how many mathematicians, statisticians or others try to improve a computer rating system.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:11 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:37 pm deserving is a bad word. rpi isn't even supposed to be one criterion, never mind the only one.

One Final Note

While it no doubt is clear from reading this document that the authors believe the RPI is an excellent tool for the Division I Men’s Lacrosse Committee, it also must be said that at no time has the NCAA staff or the committee ever desired to use the RPI as the sole factor in determining selection or seeding. There never will be a better way to select teams than the current committee process, no matter how many mathematicians, statisticians or others try to improve a computer rating system.
lmao, who wrote that, myers or a fanlax ivy fan?
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:37 pm

One Final Note

Byrne

About the authors
Jim Wright has worked for the NCAA Statistics Service for over 30 years and helped create the original RPI. He has edited every baseball and women’s basketball RPI from the beginning and served as media coordinator for the Division I Baseball Championship from 1979 to 2004. You can reach Jim with questions and suggestions by email ([email protected]) or phone (317/917-6137).

Jenn Rodgers has been a part of the Statistics staff since September 4, 2005, and has compiled the RPI for both softball and volleyball over the past two years. She can be reach via email
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:54 pm

One Final Note

Byrne

About the authors
Jim Wright has worked for the NCAA Statistics Service for over 30 years and helped create the original RPI. He has edited every baseball and women’s basketball RPI from the beginning and served as media coordinator for the Division I Baseball Championship from 1979 to 2004. You can reach Jim with questions and suggestions by email ([email protected]) or phone (317/917-6137).

Jenn Rodgers has been a part of the Statistics staff since September 4, 2005, and has compiled the RPI for both softball and volleyball over the past two years. She can be reach via email
i don't even know what this means. doesn't matter. your own rpi isn't supposed to be used to select nc$$ lax, but sometimes or most times it is. that doesn't matter.

what matters is 5? men and women in a room. they will come out with 8 names. just be one of those 8 names if you can't win your conference. #gocommittee
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:02 pm

One Final Note

Byrne

About the authors

i don't even know what this means. doesn't matter. your own rpi isn't supposed to be used to select nc$$ lax, but sometimes or most times it is. that doesn't matter.

what matters is 5? men and women in a room. they will come out with 8 names. just be one of those 8 names if you can't win your conference. #gocommittee
I know what this means: at no time has the NCAA staff or the committee ever desired to use the RPI as the sole factor in determining selection or seeding. #don’tbeonthebubble
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:10 pm

One Final Note

Byrne

About the authors

I know what this means: at no time has the NCAA staff or the committee ever desired to use the RPI as the sole factor in determining selection or seeding. #don’tbeonthebubble
you and i are having 2 separate conversations. not once did i say anything about a team's rpi to be selected. what the committee did last year was say we are choosing the field and we don't care what the stated criteria is. the lacrosse world, by and large or at least those that matter (coaches), is good with that. it so happens fanlax is good with it, too.

so i am good with it as well. for 2023+ selections, i am all about the committee. pinky swear.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Yes
youthathletics wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:04 pm Just another reason why RPI should not be the barometer metric in lacrosse. see
Double yes

Every single season some teams have an argument that they were snubbed by the committee. The incessant whining by those who felt ND and Duke were snubbed in 2022 is the worst complaining ever. When the old and new ACC/JHU were the beneficiaries of some past shaky selection committee decisions, the same people on this board told the fans of the snubbed teams to "get over it" and "win games" and "play a tougher schedule." Now the same apples to ND and Duke. There is an "argument" that ND or Duke deserved a bid over Harvard, but the snub was no worse than past snubs or the many past seeding injustices. Get over it. Play a tougher non-conference schedule and try winning some of those non-conference games. It's 2023.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:17 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:10 pm

One Final Note

Byrne

About the authors

you and i are having 2 separate conversations. not once did i say anything about a team's rpi to be selected. what the committee did last year was say we are choosing the field and we don't care what the stated criteria is. the lacrosse world, by and large or at least those that matter (coaches), is good with that. it so happens fanlax is good with it, too.

so i am good with it as well. for 2023+ selections, i am all about the committee. pinky swear.
You have a link to a quote or that’s what it “looked like”? #beatgoodteamsandyourchancesarebettetthanlosingtogoodteams.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”