~Salisbury 2023~

D3 Mens Lacrosse
DeepPocket

Re: ~Salisbury 2023~

Post by DeepPocket »

ShoreThingMD wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:50 pm I'll chime in. I knew someone who was there and can tell you that Coach Berkman wasn't exactly thrilled with the 2nd and 3rd quarters. Despite the score being lopsided at the end of regulation, the Gulls didn't look great. At one point, it was 10-6 in the 3rd quarter. Even with all this talent, the offense still needs time to become more familiar with each other and at times looked out of sync. All of this is expected when you are talking about a game or scrimmage in the first week of February. In fact, As far as Cross' last goal, I believe that came off of a failed clear/great ride, which led to another unassisted goal.

Having played for Coach, he's certainly proud of his guys and wants them to achieve both individual and team goals, but he's also going to use every opportunity to get what he needs out of a game to prepare for the next opponent and make his team better. I feel pretty confident he wanted those guys to get some extra time out there because he felt like they needed the reps in preparation for Roanoke.
Now that is a fair and reasonable assessment.
Thank you.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlacrosse45 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:15 am
InsiderRoll wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:34 am
DeepPocket wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:48 pm “Cross Ferrara -... He is currently 26 goals behind the current career goal leader in NCAA Division III history

I guess they better update that article to 19 goals behind the current career goal leader…. :roll:
Put an asterisk next to that one.
I agree. When you play for six years I would hope you would break records.
Would be interesting to see the stat/goals of both players vs. games played. The covid year, and abbreviated 21' year, reduced the games available to play.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:35 pm
MDlacrosse45 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:15 am
InsiderRoll wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:34 am
DeepPocket wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:48 pm “Cross Ferrara -... He is currently 26 goals behind the current career goal leader in NCAA Division III history

I guess they better update that article to 19 goals behind the current career goal leader…. :roll:
Put an asterisk next to that one.
I agree. When you play for six years I would hope you would break records.
Would be interesting to see the stat/goals of both players vs. games played. The covid year, and abbreviated 21' year, reduced the games available to play.
According the NCAA record books. Ryan Genhardt has 300 goals from 80 games averaging 3.75 per game
Cross Ferera has 281 goals from 85 games 3.3 per game
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

DeepPocket wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:11 pm
ShoreThingMD wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:50 pm I'll chime in. I knew someone who was there and can tell you that Coach Berkman wasn't exactly thrilled with the 2nd and 3rd quarters. Despite the score being lopsided at the end of regulation, the Gulls didn't look great. At one point, it was 10-6 in the 3rd quarter. Even with all this talent, the offense still needs time to become more familiar with each other and at times looked out of sync. All of this is expected when you are talking about a game or scrimmage in the first week of February. In fact, As far as Cross' last goal, I believe that came off of a failed clear/great ride, which led to another unassisted goal.

Having played for Coach, he's certainly proud of his guys and wants them to achieve both individual and team goals, but he's also going to use every opportunity to get what he needs out of a game to prepare for the next opponent and make his team better. I feel pretty confident he wanted those guys to get some extra time out there because he felt like they needed the reps in preparation for Roanoke.
Now that is a fair and reasonable assessment.
Thank you.
So it took 10 unanswered goals, 7-0 in the 4th qtr, to get them ready for Roanoke...makes perfect sense :lol:
ah23

Post by ah23 »

DeepPocket wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:56 pm Ferrara scored his 7th goal (and ninth point) when it was 17-6 with 5:59 left in the fourth.

Interesting choice leaving him out there.
They have done that a lot in recent years.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

10-6, 2 minutes into the 3rd quarter, after a 6-0 start, probably was not what they expected. I can certainly see playing their top kids longer as a means to allow them to get some measure of cohesiveness. but having our top guys scoring goals 15-18 seems a bit much.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
TopCheddar

Post by TopCheddar »

Rumor has it that Berkman usually meets with his other offensive players in the office to talk about Cross. I have heard interesting news that he wants Cross to break the record whether they lose games or even guys. S
smoova

Post by smoova »

TopCheddar wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:24 am Rumor has it that Berkman usually meets with his other offensive players in the office to talk about Cross. I have heard interesting news that he wants Cross to break the record whether they lose games or even guys. S
Kinda cute how you're waddling around the forum stirring the pot.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

Can't imagine what this offense would of looked like if Brown didn't transfer in or Cross didn't come back for a 5th year... Man those guys are good. Outside of Dowd and those 2 attackman though, they need more production. It'll be tough to go up against the better defenses of D3 when they actually have poles that can cover those guys.

Overall solid showing by the Salisbury offense and a shaky start by the defense that turned into a solid 3 quarters. This Roanoke team is a lot better than they get credit for and I can see them making some noise in the ODAC.. They just need to figure out that abysmal zone defense they run. They basically let Salisbury's best players dodge on shorties.
richard

Post by richard »

Without Jude Brown on the field Salisburys offense is the same as last year. He changes things dramatically. It is still a work in progress.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

I saw that Jack Dowd was named D3 player of the week by USA Lacrosse Magazine (link below). It says in the article that he is a senior, which snuck up on me, but with the extra eligibility granted to D3 players it would seem he has two more years of eligibility after this one, right? Any insight on what his plans are for next year? I imagine he'd have plenty of D1 options (especially if someone can get him for two years) but he's also got a good thing going at Salisbury.

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... f-the-week
2laxers

Post by 2laxers »

Laxxal22 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:38 pm I saw that Jack Dowd was named D3 player of the week by USA Lacrosse Magazine (link below). It says in the article that he is a senior, which snuck up on me, but with the extra eligibility granted to D3 players it would seem he has two more years of eligibility after this one, right? Any insight on what his plans are for next year? I imagine he'd have plenty of D1 options (especially if someone can get him for two years) but he's also got a good thing going at Salisbury.

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... f-the-week
I think it gets tricky with him as he started in D1 and they only received 1 more year from Covid. Though he was playing D3 in 2021 when that waiver year was granted. So he may have 2 years left.
reLAXdad21

Post by reLAXdad21 »

What’s the status of Jackson Woodward? Noticed he has not played in the first three games.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

richard wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:46 am Without Jude Brown on the field Salisburys offense is the same as last year. He changes things dramatically. It is still a work in progress.
He’s the straw that stirs the drink.
One of the most dynamic players in all of d3.
Definite National POY candidate.
AbeFroeman

Post by AbeFroeman »

I don’t recall seeing any comments here about Berkman getting to 600 wins. That is a major accomplishment. Not to mention, I was reading about how he also coached basketball and soccer. Crazy to imagine a college lax coach also coaching a woman soccer team in the off season for 15 years. No time for that now a days. The most impressive stat is that every year he has coached Salisbury lax, that have made it to the NCAA tourney.

I will give the man credit. He played a big impact in my sons lax life
My sons first experience with organized lax was a beach summer lax camp run by Berkman and some Salisbury players. My son hated it the first two days. Cried and wanted to leave and go back to the beach and play in the water. By the end of the week, was loving it. Came back the next summer and received a small trophy for most improved (they remembered him from the last summer)
His first organized team was run by a Salisbury alum that played under Berkman
His first club team was run and coached by a few Salisbury alum
His HS coach was a Salisbury alum.
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

Nice post, Abe.
I think Berkman's greatest lacrosse legacy will be his alums. They're everywhere from San Francisco to Florida to Watertown, NY and many of them are still involved in lacrosse at some level.
BIGDAWG

Post by BIGDAWG »

Poor Cross will no longer get his record. Gebhardt is backkkkkkkkkkkkk
LaxFan1991

Post by LaxFan1991 »

Salisbury starting goal looking awful today. Easy saves getting by him. Great match up today.
BULLET

Post by BULLET »

Speeding bullets…..

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”