Dear Fanlax Experts - Help and advice thread.

General Chatter
youthathletics

Re: Dear Fanlax Experts - Help and advice thread.

Post by youthathletics »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:33 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:45 pm Gorgeous...well done.

A cool look for the base might be to use a small torch and burn the wood slightly giving it an aged look. This YouTube video can give you a visual. https://youtu.be/Jir-1_-iETQ

I have been looking into making a kitchen island something like this. Considering using 2” threaded black pipe with plumbing fittings and threaded flanges for the base, going for the industrial/rustic look....I’m not a fan of your typical cabinets and big box store products.
that torch idea is really cool! i have a small food-grade torch. maybe ill practice on scrapwood?

is this an idea of what youre looking to do? http://jenloveskev.com/2016/07/26/diy-b ... en-island/
Similar but on a larger scale...yes.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

here's a quick addition to the bench- a toolbox.

working on top of my new workbench, i cut a board for the bottom, and added 4 walls:

down the center, i stood up a board, chamfered the edges, and then attempted to rout a handle- which didnt go well:

a few woodscrews later, this is what it looks like:

i was going to put a rail along the centerpiece and cut out slots for tools (like screwdrivers) but this just didnt work. (something like what this guy did http://elelyon.com.co/wp-content/upload ... n-shed.jpg)

final product, sans tool rail:

and, here it is fitted into the workbench! (sorry for the blurs)

There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Nice box , Chairman Handyman. Suggestion from the arm chair expert (not), unscrew the handle part of your new toolbox and cut a good size chunk of it out. Will still be plenty strong eonough and will double(ish) your carrying space. Kinda like this:
;)
ChairmanOfTheBoard

:D

didnt notice the similarity until you posted that!
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
Bart

Post by Bart »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:44 am :D

didnt notice the similarity until you posted that!
First, nice box. Arm chair suggestion.........if you are going to start making boxes get yourself a Kreg jig. It makes wonderful joints. I use them in most of the cabinets I have made. Easy to use.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

googling!!!
Bart

Post by Bart »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:00 pm googling!!!
nice. Let me know what you think. It really is easy to use and makes great joints.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Check this guy out, Bart. An idea that might be helpful?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2ig_RRN97k
ChairmanOfTheBoard

those are pretty cool- my question would be how does the drill bit not cut the metal guide inside the jig?
Bart

Post by Bart »

DMac wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:19 pm Check this guy out, Bart. An idea that might be helpful?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2ig_RRN97k
Thanks for that! I might just make one up. Mine currently resides on a large piece of plywood and takes up a lot of space.

Mr. Chairman, the bit fits snugly into the guide but does not catch or cut the metal inside. The bit in my set has worn a little but I have used it a bit. I have had no issues with any of the boxes (basically what most cabinetry is) that I have built using this jig. Biggest thing for me is ensuring my cuts are 90 degrees. I really think you'll like it.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Chairman. Here are a few pics of the Kreg,
image5.jpeg
image5.jpeg (126.82 KiB) Viewed 2593 times
This one is a picture of the set up I use. As you can see it is quite big. I like the option DMac showed above and will be going in that direction.......I think.
image4.jpeg
image4.jpeg (114.49 KiB) Viewed 2593 times
This is a pic of the jig itself. I had to put the bit at a bit of an angle so it did not slide down. It is a snug fit but does not catch.
image3.jpeg
image3.jpeg (77.86 KiB) Viewed 2593 times
This is what a face plate might look like using the jig. As long as the cuts are 90 degrees they are nice and tight and strong. I do not have a picture of a joint that would be used in constructing a box as they are buried but they are similar. It really is a nice jig. Easy to use and makes good joints. I think you would like it. ( I have no idea why this picture continually rotates 90 degrees but you can get the gist.)
ChairmanOfTheBoard

one more easy project... the in-laws have an heir loom table and over a hundred years, the leaves disappeared. so i picked up some pine, and made some:

it's just a board, with two slats glued to the bottom to make it flush with the tabletop.

then, lot's of sanding.

here is the dowel pin, i had to trial/error the pilot holes so they didnt get too big. ended up 3/4''.

then, more sanding! i also penciled in which side of the table this was meant for, so when people put them in, they use them on the correct side.

a few coats of stain. i am NOT trying to match the table, is this is merely going to be covered with a tablecloth. so as long as it's close im satisfied.

here is a flat view- you can see how the slats bring the board even to the tabletop:

and here is a more aerial view- they are functional!

total cost was around... $15. havent used them yet! built on my new workbench, of course. :lol:
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Thrifty and purposeful. Based on the view of the table. You may be able to build a small rack on the underside of the table to store them. Now get to work! :lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
DMac

Post by DMac »

Geezuz H, Chairman, what an absolutely outstanding job!!!
Don't know if Mrs. Chairman has any sisters, but you've sure as hell got to be the in-laws favorite son-in-law.
Well done!!
"Built on my new work bench, of course."
Too funny, made me laugh... :lol:
ChairmanOfTheBoard

thanks!

youthy- i considered that. but didnt want to screw (pun?) with the heir loom table that doesnt belong to me... also, i dont know how to build that!

:P
DMac

Post by DMac »

Stick a piece of velcro on the bottom side of the leaves and the under side of the table. Voila, job done.
Or the closet would work just fine too.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

i didnt think of the velcro idea!

but right now they are in the closet. in fact, they are leaning up against the door, on the outside of said closet.
DMac

Post by DMac »

As they should be, fine workmanship on full display. :D
ChairmanOfTheBoard

so i decided i didnt love the plywood shelf... i tore it out, and added in slats (like on the bottom):

my toolbox still fits right inside.
Last edited by ChairmanOfTheBoard on Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:37 pm so i decided i didnt love the plywood shelf... i tore it out, and added in slats (like on the bottom):

my toolbox still fits right inside.
Very nice chairman. My workbench is an 8 foot piece of bowling alley that somehow wound up in our basement when we bought the house. It was too damn heavy to get up the stairs and I do mean too freaking heavy. I built a frame for it out of pressure treated 4x4s and tapconned and liquid nailed a PT 2x8 as the back ledger board to support the top. The bench will be there long after I am dead and gone. I have probably built a hundred bird houses on it and it has the paint splatter that gives it the character I love. I make all my birdhouses out of reclaimed old pallet wood I get from work. One nice thing about your bench... it looks portable. You gonna put a finish on that or leave it natural?
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”