Athletes Unlimited 2022

D1 Womens Lacrosse
DMac

Re: Athletes Unlimited 2022

Post by DMac »

Nice analysis, njb, and to add to that, as in the college game she does little else other than play O with the ball in her stick unlike a Johnson, Mastroianni, Apuzzo and several others who give you a more complete game and are threats in more phases of the game. These rules definitely somewhat neutralize her in that the D can play much tougher on her (much to my liking).
DMac

Post by DMac »

Team Glynn with a big comeback. Needless to say Mastroianni a big factor.
Gotta love it when Halle gets the ball on the doorstep, can bet on that one.
8-6 Glynn, after a 5-0 run, 5 min to go.
LaxFan2000

Post by LaxFan2000 »

DMac wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:39 pm Team Glynn with a big comeback. Needless to say Mastroianni a big factor.
Real momentum change in the last quarter and a half or so.
DMac

Post by DMac »

8-7, final.
LaxFan2000

Post by LaxFan2000 »

DMac wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:53 pm8-7, final.
Great game, real entertaining!
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

DMac wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:39 pm Team Glynn with a big comeback. Needless to say Mastroianni a big factor.
Ortega looked good. Always a team player .
njbill

Post by njbill »

Watching the second game on replay now. I see they have changed the rule from last year, which was if an attacker hit a defender with the ball above the knee it was a red card. This year it is just a yellow card. And now you need three yellows to be disqualified? Is that also a change from last year?

Tsk. Tsk.

Edit: now the commentator says two yellows result in disqualification. Come on folks. Get it together. If you open your mouth, make sure what you say is accurate. If you don’t know, don’t say anything.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Wow, Sammy Jo with a highlight reel goal, beauty.
Halle with two nice assists, Ortega goal.
2-1 Glynn.
Charolette looking pretty selfish early.
Described as "she's in a shooting mood" by Joe B
her biggest hype machine.
Ortega stuffed by Read on a shot she puts in 99
out of 100 times,
2-2 end of one...almost 3-2 Read but nope.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Mckone goal but credit the work horse Mastroianni on the play.
4-3 Glynn.
North taking advantage of her D gal tripping and goes to the goal.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

Honestly, this game is dangerous pick up. They are playing with fire before some gets seriously hurt. As I say that Majorana almost takes Pirecca's head off after Pirecca's hard contact.
Also not a big CMC fan and find her cadence grating.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Pirecca gets away with one, Halle gets shafted.
glaxer24

Post by glaxer24 »

tothedraw wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:45 pm Honestly, this game is dangerous pick up. They are playing with fire before some gets seriously hurt. As I say that Majorana almost takes Pirecca's head off after Pirecca's hard contact.
Super messy play, I’m definitely afraid of someone getting hurt, especially in the many 2 point attempts
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

DMac wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:47 pm Pirecca gets away with one, Halle gets shafted.
Both should have been yellow'd.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Uh oh, red card on Mastroianni.
Big loss.
4-3 Glynn at the half.
Yellow on Block. Lot of cards today.
DMac

Post by DMac »

tothedraw wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:53 pm
DMac wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:47 pm Pirecca gets away with one, Halle gets shafted.
Both should have been yellow'd.
Yes, and Pirecca's foul came first.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

tothedraw wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:45 pm Honestly, this game is dangerous pick up. They are playing with fire before some gets seriously hurt. As I say that Majorana almost takes Pirecca's head off after Pirecca's hard contact.
Also not a big CMC fan and find her cadence grating.
I agree
njbill

Post by njbill »

When I first saw Squid in HS, she was one of the fastest players I'd ever seen. Still is. She wasn't happy with that TO call when she was racing to goal. :lol:

Anywhere to find the AU rules? I don't mean the point system, but the rules of play including what are fouls.

With the rules they do have (no 3 secs and no SS), why wouldn't all teams play zone, packing it in? With the red cards being issued for hitting defenders above the knee, why wouldn't you try to have a defender in SS as much as possible? I seem to recall that as the season wore on last year, some of the teams started doing this. Yeah, I know it's tough to play a zone with players who haven't played defense with each other and with rosters changing every week, but these are elite players who I'd think could adapt pretty quickly.

Ah, yes, hand is part of the stick. That's what I thought.

It seems they keep the individual stats in real time. Wonder if the do an "audit" afterwards? Really tough to be accurate in real time. There are so many turnovers. Doesn't seem they catch all of them. Given that the individual points are important and even mean $$ to the players, you'd think they'd double check the plays involving points to make sure everything is correct.

Ally M. continues her draw dominance over North. They should replace North at center when Ally is taking the draw.

North can still be effective one on one around the goal circle, rolling the crease using the circle as a pick, but it still looks tough for her to dodge from outside.

Joe's "snap shot" call is really irritating me.

Too funny with Read saying "I can't talk too much with the mic on." This after the F bomb the other night. :lol:

Agree with the above comments. This is dangerous. I suspect the players want it this way, but . . . .
DMac

Post by DMac »

I suspect the players want it this way, but . . . .
This, to me, is key. These gals all know what they're in for and all say they're thrilled to be playing this game.
As it goes in wlax there's some fine acting that goes on on the field too.
JFTR, I don't want to see anyone get hurt anymore than anyone else does.
njbill

Post by njbill »

When njbill is hired as defensive coordinator for AU, I'd have a defender play a "backer" role, positioned only a yard or so above the goal circle. The backer would follow the ball, always staying in SS between the ball carrier and the goal. Would need to be sure you don't screen the goalie, however.

OK, smart people, flaws in this strategy?
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

njbill wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:08 pm When njbill is hired as defensive coordinator for AU, I'd have a defender play a "backer" role, positioned only a yard or so above the goal circle. The backer would follow the ball, always staying in SS between the ball carrier and the goal. Would need to be sure you don't screen the goalie, however.

OK, smart people, flaws in this strategy?
Not a flaw…but make sure your backer is in excellent shape

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”