MIAA 2023

D3 Mens Lacrosse
jlibcon

Re: MIAA 2023

Post by jlibcon »

OHLaxDad wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:57 pm Trine has Lourdes and Wooster this weekend. They have a HUGE freshman class. It will be interesting to see how many of the young guys play as they are the new coach's first recruiting class.
Yeah anxious to see that develop, let us know how it goes?
jlibcon

Post by jlibcon »

Albion got the season started off right with an OT win against Otterbein. Albion was missing Jace Conley but still got the job done on the road.
OHLaxDad

Post by OHLaxDad »

jlibcon wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:57 pm Albion got the season started off right with an OT win against Otterbein. Albion was missing Jace Conley but still got the job done on the road.
Wow, that was an early start to the regular season for DIII. A win against a mid-table OAC is always a good win for an MIAA team.
OHLaxDad

Post by OHLaxDad »

jlibcon wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:20 pm
OHLaxDad wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:57 pm Trine has Lourdes and Wooster this weekend. They have a HUGE freshman class. It will be interesting to see how many of the young guys play as they are the new coach's first recruiting class.
Trine handled Lourdes as you would probably expect. Played Wooster tight in the first half with mostly starters. Maybe 1-0 Woo. Wooster and Trine benches in the second half plus Trine playing back to back and Wooster pulled away.
jlibcon

Post by jlibcon »

OHLaxDad wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:24 am
jlibcon wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:20 pm
Trine handled Lourdes as you would probably expect. Played Wooster tight in the first half with mostly starters. Maybe 1-0 Woo. Wooster and Trine benches in the second half plus Trine playing back to back and Wooster pulled away.
Wooster is suppose to be pretty good this year I think…good for Trime!
Argyle23

Post by Argyle23 »

Wooster is picked to finish 6th in the NCAC. Outside of Denison and Kenyon, it’s a coin flip this year (especially after seeing Saint Vincent beat OWU). For how young and inexperienced Trine is, Wooster is a perfect tune up.
jlibcon

Post by jlibcon »

Albion got another good win against Oberlin, they looked to run away with after 1st Qtr but Oberlin made a nice come back. Albion got Conley back for the 1st Qtr, working his way back from injury. Once it was tied he came back in in the 4th and Albion pulled away.Rhoades is next and they will be a tough test.
Argyle23

Post by Argyle23 »

Saturday picks are in:

CUW over Calvin (Augies down and ITech is meh)
Carthage over Alma (Carthage is still the same Carthage from ‘09)
Hope over Elmhurst (Blue Jays may surprise the Dutch with their freshman duo at attack)
Witt over Adrian (Dawgs are young, undisciplined, and will go 15% at the X. Ohio takes this one today)
Kzoo over Earlham (had to google this one… hopefully the boys packed a few good movies because the ride is gunna be BORING)

Bonus Pick:
Adrian over Trine in Mens hockey. Dawgs are keeping Harris home and Angola can enjoy their YMCA rink 😂
Leonard Washington

Post by Leonard Washington »

Argyle23 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:02 am Carthage over Alma (Carthage is still the same Carthage from ‘09)
Is that a good or a bad thing :geek:

Neff always has the boys up and competing year in and year out 8-)
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
Argyle23

Post by Argyle23 »

Leonard Washington wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:39 pm
Argyle23 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:02 am Carthage over Alma (Carthage is still the same Carthage from ‘09)
Is that a good or a bad thing :geek:

Neff always has the boys up and competing year in and year out 8-)
I don’t know Coach Neff nor any of his players, but his program is consistent with recruiting talent/numbers and fielding a competitive team each season. So kuddos to the Redmen (or whatever they are called now a days 🙄).

Carthage is Carthage. They are exactly who you see in film. They aren’t going to throw you any curveballs or mix it up nor will they make any in game adjustments.

Maybe it’s a good thing… maybe it’s a bad thing…
OHLaxDad

Post by OHLaxDad »

Midweek Schedule:

TUESDAY FEBRUARY 28, 2023
Albion
Rhodes

Calvin
Southwestern (Tex.)

WEDNESDAY MARCH 01, 2023

Oberlin
Adrian

Heidelberg
Trine

Aurora
Hope

Alma
Huntingdon

THURSDAY MARCH 02, 2023

Calvin
Eastern
jlibcon

Post by jlibcon »

Thrilling game down in Memphis Tuesday https://gobrits.com/news/2023/2/28/mens ... inish.aspx
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

jlibcon wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:41 pm Thrilling game down in Memphis Tuesday https://gobrits.com/news/2023/2/28/mens ... inish.aspx
Not bad for my alma mater. Of course my graduation was so long ago that no one other than native americans played lax in MI.
Argyle23

Post by Argyle23 »

Carve out Alma and it was a great weekend for the MIAA.

What’s the word from the Carthage vs Hope game? Look’d like an even box score with scoring runs.
jlibcon

Post by jlibcon »

Argyle23 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:14 pm Carve out Alma and it was a great weekend for the MIAA.

What’s the word from the Carthage vs Hope game? Look’d like an even box score with scoring runs.
At least Alma stepped up it’s SoS, but yeah overall good day for the conference. I was a bit surprised with that Hope game but pretty sure Mann did not play.
OHLaxDad

Post by OHLaxDad »

jlibcon wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:45 pm
Argyle23 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:14 pm Carve out Alma and it was a great weekend for the MIAA.

At least Alma stepped up it’s SoS, but yeah overall good day for the conference. I was a bit surprised with that Hope game but pretty sure Mann did not play.
I go back and forth on SoS. At the end of the day, this conference will never get an at large NCAA bid. On one hand a better SoS looks good, but is it just window dressing? Or, coaches schedule the way they think they need to prepare their team for the conference schedule and tourney. For some coaches it may mean tough OOC games and for another it may mean learning about and developing a young team. Coaches also have to weigh playing opportunities as well to keep guys engaged until they become Jr and Sr.
jlibcon

Post by jlibcon »

OHLaxDad wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:45 am

I go back and forth on SoS. At the end of the day, this conference will never get an at large NCAA bid. On one hand a better SoS looks good, but is it just window dressing? Or, coaches schedule the way they think they need to prepare their team for the conference schedule and tourney. For some coaches it may mean tough OOC games and for another it may mean learning about and developing a young team. Coaches also have to weigh playing opportunities as well to keep guys engaged until they become Jr and Sr.
It’s hard to gauge a team when they play really bad teams. I guess you are right in some sense in that it’s good to build confidence but if you are in the MIAA you should have a SOS below 100 imho. There is a reason Albion and Hope have dominated the conference, both those teams play a SOS 50-80 range. That’s not comparable to the top conferences but does allow for all aspects of your team to be challenged. Constantly drumming teams does nothing to help you come Conference time, your D and goalie get nothing from those games and your Offense becomes overwhelmed when they have to play Hope or Albion because they don't have the time they did playing cupcakes. I’m not saying go schedule Tufts but a team like Rhodes is perfect.
Argyle23

Post by Argyle23 »

jlibcon wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:09 am
OHLaxDad wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:45 am

It’s hard to gauge a team when they play really bad teams. I guess you are right in some sense in that it’s good to build confidence but if you are in the MIAA you should have a SOS below 100 imho. There is a reason Albion and Hope have dominated the conference, both those teams play a SOS 50-80 range. That’s not comparable to the top conferences but does allow for all aspects of your team to be challenged. Constantly drumming teams does nothing to help you come Conference time, your D and goalie get nothing from those games and your Offense becomes overwhelmed when they have to play Hope or Albion because they don't have the time they did playing cupcakes. I’m not saying go schedule Tufts but a team like Rhodes is perfect.
Agreed. The landscape has changed from 10-15 years ago. CCIW, OAC, and NCAC provide plenty of great OOC opportunities without breaking the piggy bank. I’d rather go see Alma play Rhodes on spring break than MLC or NAIA programs (no offense).
OHLaxDad

Post by OHLaxDad »

jlibcon,

I agree on the point about the defense. Does them no good to watch the offense play and score with 80%+ of the possession. I think that there needs to be a balance in the scheduling to be ready for conference play.
jlibcon

Post by jlibcon »

OHLaxDad wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:10 pm jlibcon,

I agree on the point about the defense. Does them no good to watch the offense play and score with 80%+ of the possession. I think that there needs to be a balance in the scheduling to be ready for conference play.
Concur. It would be good to tell recruits, “come to Alma/Trine/Adrian and play against good schools, become a better player and be the best player you can be.”

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”