W&L 2023

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Leonard Washington

Re: W&L 2023

Post by Leonard Washington »

Football may have had a lot to say about that. Even though Averett's football program is lacking, they fill the void of Southern Virginia who wasnt able to get in to the ODAC, partly because of not being able to play on Sunday's. Also factor in location and number of sports Averett sponsors, I can see how they got extended an invite
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
GeneralBart

Post by GeneralBart »

I sincerely do not want to pick on Averett, but Averett has a roster of returning lacrosse players posted on its website: https://averettcougars.com/sports/mens-lacrosse/roster

There are 11 players listed. Hopefully, they have a large Freshmen class coming in. Unless these returning players are the second coming of the "Ten Bears", this does not bode well for the coming season.
Leonard Washington

GeneralBart wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:40 pm I sincerely do not want to pick on Averett, but Averett has a roster of returning lacrosse players posted on its website: https://averettcougars.com/sports/mens-lacrosse/roster

There are 11 players listed. Hopefully, they have a large Freshmen class coming in. Unless these returning players are the second coming of the "Ten Bears", this does not bode well for the coming season.
There are more players coming in but probably no more than 10-15. They can look forward to competing against Ferrum and Randolph as the rest of their conference slate isn't going to be pretty
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
Bert Macklin

Post by Bert Macklin »

Leonard Washington wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:02 pm Football may have had a lot to say about that. Even though Averett's football program is lacking, they fill the void of Southern Virginia who wasnt able to get in to the ODAC, partly because of not being able to play on Sunday's. Also factor in location and number of sports Averett sponsors, I can see how they got extended an invite
Curious would you rather have SVU or Avertt in the ODAC, lacrosse wise SVU has given some games
Leonard Washington

Bert Macklin wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:44 pm Curious would you rather have SVU or Avertt in the ODAC, lacrosse wise SVU has given some games
Unless we are talking MBB or MSOC, overall I think Southern Virginia is a better fit in the ODAC. But the ODAC wouldnt accommodate SVU like the USA South has.

There is a pretty noticeable and significant gap between SVU and Averett in Men's Lacrosse.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Just when you thought the conference couldn’t get any weaker, just dilutes the quality of play further. 11 players on the current roster. Hope they bring in a large class 15-20 and see what sticks. I wish them luck
JPAtlantic

Post by JPAtlantic »

Fall Ball Schedule:
10/1 - 9am - Intrasquad scrimmage 9
10/30 - 12 noon - VMI (Lee Jackson #35?)
10/30 - 2 pm - Lenoir-Rhyne
Dehuntshigwa’es

JPAtlantic wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:25 pm Fall Ball Schedule:
Can we get Lee- Jackson#35 webcast.
Bert Macklin

Post by Bert Macklin »

Im interested to see what W&L does, I think the offensive weapons are gone and defense is going to be a rebuild without AA goalie. Will be interesting what they do.
Dehuntshigwa’es

InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Bert Macklin wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:29 pm Im interested to see what W&L does, I think the offensive weapons are gone and defense is going to be a rebuild without AA goalie. Will be interesting what they do.
I think they’ve developed defensemen really well for a long time. Might be some growing pains there but I think they will be fine. Replacing the goalie will be tough all though a lot of people thought that would be the case last year and they surpassed expectations. However you are right it will be very hard to replicate that level of success. The offensive weapons were gone last year, it isn’t going to be worse that 2022. I believe they feel that there are some young players that have talent and will have their chance to break through. I imagine there’s going to be wide open opportunities to get on the field offensively. Should make for a competitive fallball.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Last season Riley Albregts was limited . He was an excellent athlete while at Mountain Lakes. If he’s healthy I’d suspect some noise from the young man
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

Ol'Southlacrosse wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:05 pm
InsiderRoll wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:10 pm
Ol'Southlacrosse wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:33 pm McCabe recently got a promotion in the athletic Department are him/the school looking to faze him out of the coaching roll and into administration off the field?I
So did several head coaches, including womens basketball who is coming off of the best year in program history. I think you’re overthinking things.
Yeah I know but, Gene has a history and is currently dating a 5th COed in the law school. This might worry administration don't want a coach going through a mid life crisis when trying to win a ODAC championship
I do not believe bringing up personal information, true or not, about Gene McCabe, or anyone, is appropriate on this site and would hope FanLax would monitor this kind of information closer. Thanks.

valaxfan
Faxlax

Post by Faxlax »

Could not agree more.
JPAtlantic

Post by JPAtlantic »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:24 pm
JPAtlantic wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:25 pm Fall Ball Schedule:
Can we get Lee- Jackson#35 webcast.
The W&L, VMI, Lenoir-Rhyne games are listed as one of the ten Headstrong events this fall on their website:

https://headstrong.org/headstrong-fall- ... 10-events/
JPAtlantic

Post by JPAtlantic »

Any updates on the Blue-White game? Any surprises?

VMI has an article on the Fall Event Series Headstrong Tournament with W&L and Lenoir-Rhyne on 10/30:
https://vmikeydets.com/news/2022/9/13/v ... er-30.aspx

You can donate to W&L's Headstrong efforts here:
https://pledge.headstrong.org/team/449760
Dehuntshigwa’es

Interested in hearing reports on today’s scrimmages, particularly on any new faces, especially freshmen. What juniors are missing doing study abroad programs. Who gets the nod in the cage.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

It was interesting. W&L and VMI tied 12-12. Leonor Rhyne beat W&L 12-11. Generals were down early in both. W&L subbed their starters out much earlier than both opponents. The youngest players looked the best. Offense was led by sophomores, one sophomore, joey Allen I think had about 10 goals between both games. Three of the six starters on defense were freshman, they made some simple mistakes and some good plays, so they might get much better there but the defense is still finding itself. They played 3 goalies pretty evenly. freshman looked the best but all three were capable, senior started both.

Offensively they seem to be pushing a lot of unsettled and that’s where they were productive. Offense feature a lot of picking. Shooting left a lot to be desired aside from Allen.

They 10-maned quite a bit. Had only marginal success.

I’d expect this team to have about 7-8 freshman/sophomores starting. About half the junior class is abroad, missing Ott and and Brown who started at attack as well as some experienced poles, but the younger guys might be more talented.
JPAtlantic

Post by JPAtlantic »

InsiderRoll wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:21 pm It was interesting. W&L and VMI tied 12-12. Leonor Rhyne beat W&L 12-11. Generals were down early in both. W&L subbed their starters out much earlier than both opponents. The youngest players looked the best. Offense was led by sophomores, one sophomore, joey Allen I think had about 10 goals between both games. Three of the six starters on defense were freshman, they made some simple mistakes and some good plays, so they might get much better there but the defense is still finding itself. They played 3 goalies pretty evenly. freshman looked the best but all three were capable, senior started both.

Offensively they seem to be pushing a lot of unsettled and that’s where they were productive. Offense feature a lot of picking. Shooting left a lot to be desired aside from Allen.

They 10-maned quite a bit. Had only marginal success.

I’d expect this team to have about 7-8 freshman/sophomores starting. About half the junior class is abroad, missing Ott and and Brown who started at attack as well as some experienced poles, but the younger guys might be more talented.
End of quarter scores:
VMI vs W&L
1Q: 5-2 VMI
Half: 6-3 VMI
3Q: 11-9 W&L
Game: 12-12 (No OT)

W&L vs L-R
1Q: 3-0 L-R
Half: 7-1 L-R
3Q: 10-10
Game: 13-12

The 3rd quarter line-up came up big in both games for W&L.

Recent results in the rivalry:
2018 - 10/20/17 at W&L - Winner: W&L, 20-12, L-J #31
2019 - 10/26/18 at VMI - Winner: W&L, 9-5, L-J #32
2020 - 10/18/19 at W&L - Winner: VMI, 9-14, L-J #33 (Last official Lee-Jackson)
2021 - Covid
2022 - 2/3/22 at VMI - Winner: W&L, 11-10, L-J #34
2023 - 10/30/22 at VMI - Tie, 12-12, L-J #35

W&L leads all time series: 32-4-1
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Lee-Jackson ceased to exist after 2019 so you can stop the count there. The game is now run as a scrimmage. You might have a better idea just looking at first quarter stats but even that would fail to show freshmen contributions, in game changes to schemes, etc. I know on the VMI side they had a set rotation, set substitution and set plays they wanted to run no matter what the scoreboard said. Look no farther than Goalies and FO's to see this was not run as a game by either side.

Nice day. Great cause and super participation for the Head Strong foundation. You could certainly tell each side played hard (I think the older the player, the harder they hit....there is a reason the L&G was such a big thing)

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”