Cornell 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Gobigred

Re: Cornell 2023

Post by Gobigred »

Now...if Buczek can just teach Kelleher to do this: https://youtu.be/9cyJbWv4JgE
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

Now...if Buczek can just teach Kelleher to do this: https://youtu.be/9cyJbWv4JgE
dp68

Post by dp68 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:39 pm Got a buddy who’s son is going to Cornell in the fall. He was lamenting no hotels available nearby for parents weekend. I’m checking w a buddy who’s got a lake house in canandaigua but for a little further away from Ithaca hotels or options anyone have preferred locations where you can still have a shot at a room?
Cortland has a number of hotel options, with Ithaca an easy drive down Route 13. If memory serves, it's about a twenty-minute trip.
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

Gobigred wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:40 am Now...if Buczek can just teach Kelleher to do this: https://youtu.be/9cyJbWv4JgE
If he can just teach all the middies to do that. :o
NewEnglandNative

Post by NewEnglandNative »

This could be crazy and I could be wrong but if IMO if COVID had not happened (or at least seasons not canceled/reduced for Ivys) Cornell wins a National Championship in either 2020 or 2021. Donville was a horse for the UMD offense this season. One has to think if they had a real chance the last two years they would have done it.
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

NewEnglandNative wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:56 pm This could be crazy and I could be wrong but if IMO if COVID had not happened (or at least seasons not canceled/reduced for Ivys) Cornell wins a National Championship in either 2020 or 2021. Donville was a horse for the UMD offense this season. One has to think if they had a real chance the last two years they would have done it.
Don't forget about a guy named Jeff Teat. He and Clark Peterson, among others, were also on that team.

But, as the saying goes, "Why does God hate Cornell so much? Could it be the atheism?"

(Cornell was one of the first U.S. colleges to be unaffiliated with any church and to offer a curriculum that does not conform to what was then called a "Christian education," i.e. an education centered on the classics.)

It's our cross to bear. :(
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Ezra White wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:48 am
Gobigred wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:40 am Now...if Buczek can just teach Kelleher to do this: https://youtu.be/9cyJbWv4JgE
If he can just teach all the middies to do that. :o
There's a guy named Cascadden is heading up to Ithaca. He's the same size as HK and played football and lacrosse against Kelleher when HUGH was in High School.

I hope Buczek AND Kelleher can work on developing Cascadden's dodging and shooting. He's already great facing off.
mountainred

Post by mountainred »

Ezra White wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:50 pm
I see what you did there! :D
molo

Post by molo »

Didn’t realize that. No wonder I like them so much.
LynahFan

Post by LynahFan »

molo wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:54 pm Didn’t realize that. No wonder I like them so much.
My favorite is the Cornell University “chapel” (and not just because I was married there!). By first impression, it looks like a nice traditgothic chapel, with lots of mosaics and other art. As you look closer, however, most of the images are of Greek/Roman gods, other classical scenes, and even to honor civil rights martyrs. Very few allusions to Judaism, Islam, or Christianity throughout the building
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Ezra White wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:50 pm But, as the saying goes, "Why does God hate Cornell so much? Could it be the atheism?"

(Cornell was one of the first U.S. colleges to be unaffiliated with any church and to offer a curriculum that does not conform to what was then called a "Christian education," i.e. an education centered on the classics.)

Well we did have a goalie named Christian Knight in an attempt to atone for our sins ...
backerzone

Post by backerzone »

dp68 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:27 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:39 pm Got a buddy who’s son is going to Cornell in the fall. He was lamenting no hotels available nearby for parents weekend. I’m checking w a buddy who’s got a lake house in canandaigua but for a little further away from Ithaca hotels or options anyone have preferred locations where you can still have a shot at a room?
Cortland has a number of hotel options, with Ithaca an easy drive down Route 13. If memory serves, it's about a twenty-minute trip.
We had same issue years ago - and yes Cortland is an easy quick drive to Ithaca. That's where we stayed
DMac

Post by DMac »

Question for you Cornellians. I'm pretty sure I heard in one of the tribute speeches about Richie Moran ( I can not remember who the guy doing it was) that he was an officer in the USMC. This surprised me (very much) as I never knew he was a veteran. Can anyone confirm this? Played for the Terps in '59, started his HS coaching career in '61. Officer in the Marine Corps just isn't making sense to me.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

DMac wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:42 am Question for you Cornellians. I'm pretty sure I heard in one of the tribute speeches about Richie Moran ( I can not remember who the guy doing it was) that he was an officer in the USMC. This surprised me (very much) as I never knew he was a veteran. Can anyone confirm this? Played for the Terps in '59, started his HS coaching career in '61. Officer in the Marine Corps just isn't making sense to me.
https://www.bangsfuneralhome.com/obitua ... chie-Moran
DMac

Post by DMac »

Pretty much figured I could count on you, thanks. That's the first time I've ever heard any mention of his having been in the Marine Corps. Draft was on in those days which was two years of obligation (active), am pretty sure voluntary enlistment was a three year obligation (active). Two years (max) seems odd to me, particularly as an officer (which it doesn't say in the obit...enlisted or officer... but I'm pretty sure I heard the guy say officer).

1959 draft

At age 17 to 26 you can…
— Volunteer for induction at your draft board, serve 2 years on active duty followed by 2 years in the Ready Reserve and 2 years in Standby.

— Or, you can enlist for 3 years in the Army or Marines, for 4 years in the Navy, Coast Guard, or Air Force.
All enlistments were a six year obligation, even if you did four years active you were still in a standby status for two years and could be called back if needed.

Did they have ROTC at UMD in the mid 50s (they do now...Army) and was Richie in it?
Two years as an officer seems very odd to me, know anything about that?
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

laxfan1313 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:34 am
DMac wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:42 am Question for you Cornellians. I'm pretty sure I heard in one of the tribute speeches about Richie Moran ( I can not remember who the guy doing it was) that he was an officer in the USMC. This surprised me (very much) as I never knew he was a veteran. Can anyone confirm this? Played for the Terps in '59, started his HS coaching career in '61. Officer in the Marine Corps just isn't making sense to me.
https://www.bangsfuneralhome.com/obitua ... chie-Moran
I don't think that he was an officer. He did serve proudly in the US Marines. There was a time when the pep band played the Marine Hymn after games. He also often signed his letters Sempre Fi. I need to check his book, but I believe he went into the Marine Corps before undergrad.

His eldest brother was a West Point grad who was shot down in combat over France in WWII.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Thanks, fc, that makes far more sense.
Officer just didn't add up, and I'm darn
sure that's what I heard the guy say.
Zero reason to puff anything about Richie.
Am figuring he must've gone in the reserves,
did 2 years active, the rest inactive.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

DMac wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:05 am Thanks, fc, that makes far more sense.
Officer just didn't add up, and I'm darn
sure that's what I heard the guy say.
Zero reason to puff anything about Richie.
Am figuring he must've gone in the reserves,
did 2 years active, the rest inactive.
2 years in active duty is my recollection. Aside from his eldest brother, I believe (but can't confirm) at least one of his other brothers was a WWII vet.
Ivyman

Post by Ivyman »

Ezra White wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:50 pm
But, as the saying goes, "Why does God hate Cornell so much? Could it be the atheism?"

You crack me up. :lol:
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

I heard on a podcast that Chase Ierlan is back for the 2023: season. I was wondering if anyone was aware if this is correct.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”