MoralTerpitude

Re: Tewaaraton Favorite?

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:22 pm
HGK wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 5:36 pm
FlyEaglesFly wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 5:04 pm
random observer wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:59 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:55 pm
FlyEaglesFly wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 2:47 pm It kind of stinks that it strictly is an offensive award. McElroy at Gtown is having one of the best seasons I’ve ever seen from a goalie, leading the NCAA top defense. If he doesn’t get invited this year, I don’t think a goalie will ever get invited.
Yet another reason the sport we love constantly gets in its own way.
McElroy has had an unreal career and is one of the best D1 goalies I've seen in a long time. However, I think the fact that the freshman back up filled in for several games and the Hoyas carried on with their business without breaking a sweat probably doesn't help his chances.
I hear you. But if you watched the games - it wasn’t that simple. He struggled a little vs Lehigh (certainly wasn’t without a sweat), and one of the other games was Providence. Granted he played well vs Denver.
Bottom line it’s sadly an offensive player only award and more specifically an attackman award virtually every year. Best player doesn’t have to score - see Lawrence Taylor. I think this year one of 3 offensive players deserve the award but to your point be nice to see a goalie, ssdm or a close D man in the final conversation
Taylor scored a TKO on Joe Theismann
The most sickening injury I’d ever seen… until Alex Smith.
Kikin

Post by Kikin »

I think Wisnauskas deserves it for sure. So consistent... you can ALWAYS count on him to deliver the goods (or maybe that's the goals and assists). He doesn't have "off" games. If ever a guy at another position was considered I would throw Luke Wierman's name out there. Such dominance that has lead to so many wins.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Kikin wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:57 pm I think Wisnauskas deserves it for sure. So consistent... you can ALWAYS count on him to deliver the goods (or maybe that's the goals and assists). He doesn't have "off" games. If ever a guy at another position was considered I would throw Luke Wierman's name out there. Such dominance that has lead to so many wins.
If Baptiste and Ierlan couldn't win it, no fogo will ever win without going 100% on a national championship team
HGK

Post by HGK »

All incredibly well deserving finalists but thought this was a year might have had someone on the defensive end of the field make the final group.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Men’s 2022 Tewaaraton Finalists:

Chris Gray, North Carolina - Grad. Student, Attack
Sam Handley, Pennsylvania - Sr., Midfield
Brendan Nichtern, Army West Point - Sr., Attack
Connor Shellenberger, Virginia - Soph., Attack
Logan Wisnauskas, Maryland - Fifth Year Senior, Attack
molo

Post by molo »

I am a believer that the winner may not necessarily be on the NC but should be the best player on a team that at least goes deep into the tournament, especially when it's close. That would eliminate Nichtern and Gray for me. The former is an excellent player on a good team that did not make the tournament, the latter arguably the best player in the country on a team that failed to live up to expectations. Wisnauskas would be my Ward/Stanwick candidate, assuming Maryland runs the table. He would be the leading scorer on the NC. If UVA gets past Maryland, it's hard to imagine that they could do so without Shellenberger's performing at a level that would merit the T. Handley is the best midfielder in the country. If his team makes it to Championship Weekend, it will be because he also played at a level that deserves the T.
Since Maryland is most likely to win the NC, I think Wisnauskas gets the award.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Looks like it ends up being Wis v Handley. They tend to reward seniors if a kid has another year to win it based on the past decade.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
molo

Post by molo »

Plus it looks odd when a junior wins it and the has a weaker year as a senior. That happened to two attackmen whose teams will meet this weekend. I’m not much on business lingo, but that past performance cliché works here.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

molo wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 3:59 pm I am a believer that the winner may not necessarily be on the NC but should be the best player on a team that at least goes deep into the tournament, especially when it's close. That would eliminate Nichtern and Gray for me. The former is an excellent player on a good team that did not make the tournament, the latter arguably the best player in the country on a team that failed to live up to expectations. Wisnauskas would be my Ward/Stanwick candidate, assuming Maryland runs the table. He would be the leading scorer on the NC. If UVA gets past Maryland, it's hard to imagine that they could do so without Shellenberger's performing at a level that would merit the T. Handley is the best midfielder in the country. If his team makes it to Championship Weekend, it will be because he also played at a level that deserves the T.

You are likely going to be correct here.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:30 pm
molo wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 3:59 pm I am a believer that the winner may not necessarily be on the NC but should be the best player on a team that at least goes deep into the tournament, especially when it's close. That would eliminate Nichtern and Gray for me. The former is an excellent player on a good team that did not make the tournament, the latter arguably the best player in the country on a team that failed to live up to expectations. Wisnauskas would be my Ward/Stanwick candidate, assuming Maryland runs the table. He would be the leading scorer on the NC. If UVA gets past Maryland, it's hard to imagine that they could do so without Shellenberger's performing at a level that would merit the T. Handley is the best midfielder in the country. If his team makes it to Championship Weekend, it will be because he also played at a level that deserves the T.
it also helps to be the best player in the country in a given year. as ward and stanwick were. and wisnauskas.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:06 pm
it also helps to be the best player in the country in a given year. as ward and stanwick were. and wisnauskas.

Wisnauskas (UMD) graduated high school from Boy’s Latin in Baltimore. In 2019, Pat Spencer (Loyola) won the Tewaaraton. He also is a graduate of Boy’s Latin.

I’m wondering if anyone knows if any other high school has produced 2 Tewaaraton winners? This is the list but they don’t post the high schools, only the college. I’d be surprised if Chaminade or St. Anthony’s isn’t in here but I don’t know.

https://www.tewaaraton.com/winners/
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:35 am

Wisnauskas (UMD) graduated high school from Boy’s Latin in Baltimore. In 2019, Pat Spencer (Loyola) won the Tewaaraton. He also is a graduate of Boy’s Latin.

I’m wondering if anyone knows if any other high school has produced 2 Tewaaraton winners? This is the list but they don’t post the high schools, only the college. I’d be surprised if Chaminade or St. Anthony’s isn’t in here but I don’t know.

the thompson brothers went to salmon river and lafayette.
molloy is from st anthony's, don't believe anyone else was. nor double ups from any other h.s.
Antonio114

Post by Antonio114 »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:24 am

molloy is from st anthony's, don't believe anyone else was. nor double ups from any other h.s.
Lyle and Miles both went to Lafayette. Ty Thompson went to Salmon River.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Antonio114 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:13 am

miles played his first 2 years, lyle his freshman, at salmon river. then 2 years at lafayette. lyle took his senior year back at salmon river after miles graduated. most people don't remember it.
Antonio114

Post by Antonio114 »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:01 am

miles played his first 2 years, lyle his freshman, at salmon river. then 2 years at lafayette. lyle took his senior year back at salmon river. most people don't remember it.
Uhhh I cant 100% say you are wrong about the first two things, but Lyle 120% did not play his senior year at Salmon River. I watched him play for Lafayette as a senior with complete certainty.

highschoolsports.syracuse.com/player/lyle-thompson/boyslacrosse/season/2010-2011
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Antonio114 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:04 am

miles played his first 2 years, lyle his freshman, at salmon river. then 2 years at lafayette. lyle took his senior year back at salmon river. most people don't remember it.
Uhhh I cant 100% say you are wrong about the first two things, but Lyle 120% did not play his senior year at Salmon River. I watched him play for Lafayette as a senior with complete certainty.

highschoolsports.syracuse.com/player/lyle-thompson/boyslacrosse/season/2010-2011
huh. looking it up, some places are still confused if that was the case. (laxrecords, wiki). piecing it together, looks like he transferred back to salmon river in fall sr year and then came back in the spring if he was at lafayette.

my memory was a lot of transferring back and forth. looks like lyle at least also played as an 8th grader at salmon river. i'd guess miles also.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Maybe they will give a double award again this year.
Antonio114

Post by Antonio114 »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:22 am

huh. looking it up, some places are still confused if that was the case. (laxrecords, wiki). piecing it together, looks like he transferred back to salmon river in fall sr year and then came back in the spring if he was at lafayette.

my memory was a lot of transferring back and forth. looks like lyle at least also played as an 8th grader at salmon river. i'd guess miles also.
Yeah now you got me looking and it looks like you are right about him being at Salmon river as a freshman. Probably right about Miles too. The more you know!
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Antonio114 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:27 am
wgdsr wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:22 am

Yeah now you got me looking and it looks like you are right about him being at Salmon river as a freshman. Probably right about Miles too. The more you know!
https://eaglenewsonline.com/new/2008/06 ... nal-final/

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”