D1 lax history: Christian Swezey's new We Told Baltimore book (oldhead-certified)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
CU77

Re: D1 lax history: Christian Swezey's new We Told Baltimore book (oldhead-certified)

Post by CU77 »

DMac wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:31 pm Any place these facts can be verified? Sounds very odd, particularly the not by mutual agreement part.
Swezey's book, p.43:
The Big Red arrived in Charlottesville from its spring break trip down south on April 1 [1970]. The next morning, hours before the game was set to begin, Moran recalls, he was awakened in his hotel room by a phone call and by a steady stream of rain outside. He was told the Virginia was canceling the game because of rain; its coaches were worried about ruining the grass playing surface so early in the season and had already told the referees, coming from Baltimore, not to make the three-hour trip. Moran was incandescent with anger. He offered to pay for referees out of his own pocket if they would travel to Charlottesville in case the weather improved. Virginia said "no". Moran eyed the Virginia schedule and noticed it did not have a game the following weekend. He persuaded Harvard, Cornell's opponent that weekend, to move their contest to May and asked Virginia to travel to Ithaca. Again, the Cavaliers said "no". The game was canceled. To Moran and many of his players, it was another sign of disrespect from the Big Five.
DMac

Re: D1 lax history: Christian Swezey's new We Told Baltimore book (oldhead-certified)

Post by DMac »

Wow, that's something else!! Thanks, 77 (think that little preview will sell a couple more books, good stuff).
If these two face one another, Connor might want to read that to his boys in the locker room just before taking the
field, nice little added motivator.
Looking at the '70 schedule of both teams, neither one even has that game listed. Doesn't say Cornell v Virginia...cancelled, it doesn't even show up as a scheduled game.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Things were way more casual back then, it seems. The slapdash nature of the first NCAA tournament in 71 (as described in the book) is pretty amazing ...
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

CU77 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:59 pm
DMac wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:31 pm Any place these facts can be verified? Sounds very odd, particularly the not by mutual agreement part.
Swezey's book, p.43:
The Big Red arrived in Charlottesville from its spring break trip down south on April 1 [1970]. The next morning, hours before the game was set to begin, Moran recalls, he was awakened in his hotel room by a phone call and by a steady stream of rain outside. He was told the Virginia was canceling the game because of rain; its coaches were worried about ruining the grass playing surface so early in the season and had already told the referees, coming from Baltimore, not to make the three-hour trip. Moran was incandescent with anger. He offered to pay for referees out of his own pocket if they would travel to Charlottesville in case the weather improved. Virginia said "no". Moran eyed the Virginia schedule and noticed it did not have a game the following weekend. He persuaded Harvard, Cornell's opponent that weekend, to move their contest to May and asked Virginia to travel to Ithaca. Again, the Cavaliers said "no". The game was canceled. To Moran and many of his players, it was another sign of disrespect from the Big Five.
Now, fast forwarding to this year, I'd like to know why Syracuse requested that this year's Cornell game be played on Monday night April 11th rather than the longstanding tradition of a Tuesday game. Yes, I was told by an unimpeachable source that this was at Syracuse's request. Cornell plays at Harvard the Saturday before while Syracuse visits Albany the Thursday before, giving The Orange a distinct advantage in preparation time and in recovery time after a game. Perhaps a Syracuse fan can investigate and report back.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Strictly a guess but I'd bet a pretty good one. I see the monster trucks are coming to the Dome on the 16th, it's a major undertaking to get the place ready for that which is probably why the game is being played a day earlier this year. The
girls are playing at Schoellkopf Tuesday night on the 12th at 7 o'clock, maybe they beat the boys to the punch with scheduling and that was out too?
Most monster truck shows only last for a couple hours. Nevertheless, in the days leading up to a show, workers often spend countless hours preparing a stadium for the monster trucks. In some cases, it can take up to 650 hours to get a stadium like Gillette Stadium in Massachusetts ready for a monster truck show. Here are some of the steps that need to be taken.
https://www.scsgearbox.com/what-does-a- ... jam-event/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywy2eu5N4Lw
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

This article says:  " After SU’s home lacrosse game on Tuesday, Sala said his team of about 50 students and six older staff members put down two layers of plastic and two one-inch layers of plywood, in that order."

https://dailyorange.com/2018/04/su-turn ... uck-arena/

In 2018, the only Tuesday home game in the Carrier Dome was against Hobart at 7PM April 3rd. There goes that theory.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Nope, I'm not thinkin' that shoots that theory to hell. Maybe they found they had to rush in order to get the job done and that extra day is needed to ensure the job is done properly.
The process begins one week before fans pour into the stadium for the event. Dirt is excavated from an open field on SU’s campus.
Here's how it's going to end with you. It's a conspiracy, Cuse's AD and coaching staff got to together and said let's stick it in Cornell's asz this year and move the game to Monday to ensure we get an advantage. Couldn't possibly be any other reason, right?
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

CU77 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:04 am Things were way more casual back then, it seems. The slapdash nature of the first NCAA tournament in 71 (as described in the book) is pretty amazing ...
Casual is right. Games against club teams like Mt. Washington and Long Island were counted in a team's record.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

Thanks for confirming. As an Orange insider, you must know. I provide documentation - you propound theories. Enough said. Have a great day.
Last edited by laxfan1313 on Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
nomofogo

Post by nomofogo »

I have not received a copy yet but I can share a quote from Coach Moran's statement in practice prior to traveling to play Maryland. Coach said: "everybody says that they are The Guns of Navarone. Well you know what happened...... they blew those guns right out of the f**cking mountain"
DMac

Post by DMac »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fantastic stuff, nomo!!!!
DMac

Post by DMac »

laxfan1313 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:05 am Thanks for confirming. As an Orange insider, you must know. I provide documentation - you propound theories. Enough said. Have a great day.
You provide jack schidt as to the reason the game is scheduled for Monday rather than Tuesday.
You can bet your asz that my propounded theory is dead nutz on the money.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

DMac wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:36 am
laxfan1313 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:05 am Thanks for confirming. As an Orange insider, you must know. I provide documentation - you propound theories. Enough said. Have a great day.
You provide jack schidt as to the reason the game is scheduled for Monday rather than Tuesday.
You can bet your asz that my propounded theory is dead nutz on the money.
People curse when they've lost the argument. I have it on good authority that the game is scheduled for Monday because Syracuse asked that it be so scheduled. If you don't believe me, ask your friend Gary Gait and get back to us. Meanwhile, your monster truck theory has been debunked.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Ask your good authority why Gary asked that it be scheduled for Monday.
Maybe because the Dome told him they needed that extra day in order
to get the Dome ready for the monster trucks? No, my theory has not
been debunked, as noted earlier you'll just accept nothing other than
Cuse wanted to stick it in Cornell's asz a little bit.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

DMac wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:23 am Ask your good authority why Gary asked that it be scheduled for Monday.
Keep cursing. Even if I didn't have a credible source, who thinks Cornell requested the game less than 48 hours after a New England trip? Your theory has been debunked and I'm through contributing to your post count.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

CU77 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:59 pm
Swezey's book, p.43:
Glenn Thiel was head coach at UVA then, his first year.
I’m surprised he went along with that horse manure
gamesmanship.
DMac

Post by DMac »

laxfan1313 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:34 am
DMac wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:23 am Ask your good authority why Gary asked that it be scheduled for Monday.
Keep cursing. Even if I didn't have a credible source, who thinks Cornell requested the game less than 48 hours after a New England trip? Your theory has been debunked and I'm through contributing to your post count.
My theory has been debunked only in your closed mind that is unwilling to accept anything other than Cuse wanted to stick it in Cornell's asz. To all others I'm sure it sounds perfectly reasonable. No one has said anything about Cornell requesting the game be played on Monday, obviously they accepted that play day though.
Oh, and as for your psychology, people find phony excuses to back off when they're losing an argument.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

DMac wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:05 am
laxfan1313 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:34 am
My theory has been debunked only in your closed mind that is unwilling to accept anything other than Cuse wanted to stick it in Cornell's asz. To all others I'm sure it sounds perfectly reasonable. No one has said anything about Cornell requesting the game be played on Monday, obviously they accepted that play day though.
Oh, and as for your psychology, people find phony excuses to back off when they're losing an argument.
I provided documentation that a Saturday monster truck show can be set up in the Carrier Dome after a Tuesday night lacrosse game. You provided conjecture and cursing. Argument over! Didn't you recently say you wouldn't communicate with me? Forgetful?
DMac

Post by DMac »

Yes, and from your provided documentation I quoted this,
The process begins one week before fans pour into the stadium for the event. Dirt is excavated from an open field on SU’s campus.
Tuesday evening until Saturday is not a week, obviously it's a rushed operation and they're living right on the edge with no room for error which makes it all the more reasonable (to a reasonably minded person anyway) to figure that's why the game was moved to Monday.
Forgetful? Isn't it just one post above where you say you're not going to contribute to my post count anymore (which, btw, you are the only person concerned about)?
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

DMac wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:44 am Yes, and from your provided documentation I quoted this,
Tuesday evening until Saturday is not a week, obviously it's a rushed operation and they're living right on the edge with no room for error which makes it all the more reasonable (to a reasonably minded person anyway) to figure that's why the game was moved to Monday.
Forgetful? Isn't it just one post above where you say you're not going to contribute to my post count anymore (which, btw, you are the only person concerned about)?
The documentation I provided says the process starts inside the Carrier Dome after a Tuesday night lacrosse game. When you lie I'll respond.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”