Duke 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Duke 2022

Post by HopFan16 »

44WeWantMore wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:16 am
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:38 am Is there a team in another sport that is consistently a title contender year after year, and yet still has exactly 0 fans?
FFG jokes about Nifong, but I believe this plays a part in the phenomenon you note. It certainly does in my case.

With a Duke diploma above my laptop as I type, I think I can fairly say this: During the hoax, we learned that Duke was entirely populated by haters and cowards. Not one person of any prominence at Duke even paid lip service to Due Process in public. Not even Coach K, who was untouchable, and had a *Leadership Institute* bearing his name at the Fuqua School of Business. Later, in a long article somebody linked from FanLax, we learned that the *only* concern of Duke's administrators was the Duke brand.

Now, maybe Hopkins is no better. Point is, we don't know. We do know in Duke's case.
Sure but if there are lots of silent, would-be Duke fans out there who share this view then why take it out on the current lax team and its players who had absolutely nothing to do with any of this?
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:59 am
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:38 am Is there a team in another sport that is consistently a title contender year after year, and yet still has exactly 0 fans?
FFG jokes about Nifong, but I believe this plays a part in the phenomenon you note. It certainly does in my case.

With a Duke diploma above my laptop as I type, I think I can fairly say this: During the hoax, we learned that Duke was entirely populated by haters and cowards. Not one person of any prominence at Duke even paid lip service to Due Process in public. Not even Coach K, who was untouchable, and had a *Leadership Institute* bearing his name at the Fuqua School of Business. Later, in a long article somebody linked from FanLax, we learned that the *only* concern of Duke's administrators was the Duke brand.

Now, maybe Hopkins is no better. Point is, we don't know. We do know in Duke's case.
Interesting point-times will change as will personnel but I won’t let my kids go to Duke. They were entrusted with kids and sold them out flat out, to cater to a cohort of fighters and protesters without any evidence. I was more joking about the whining about those kids getting an extra year and old allegations it was the ncaa in conspiracy w Duke to prop up their lacrosse program.

May have been me on article as I read a New Yorker piece when it was going down and it always stuck with me. Going back to it’s roots as a tobacco backed school then buying its way into elite academic status by overpaying prominent liberal arts professors and being a “newbie” in an old school world.

Was this the piece?

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2006 ... -on-campus
Yes, that was the article. Thank you for your initial post and for reminding us. The scary thing to me is that it reads as a defense of Duke's Administration. Again, I am not claiming I know Hopkins is better; we just know exactly what Duke is.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:15 am

Sure but if there are lots of silent, would-be Duke fans out there who share this view then why take it out on the current lax team and its players who had absolutely nothing to do with any of this?
Because in collegiate sports, we root for an institution as much as we do for the players. Not exactly a fair comparison, but I used to root for Penn State in football. Of all the Enormous State Universities, it seemed to me that they ran a clean program where most of the players graduated, and JoePa cared about his 'kids'. I no longer root for PSU. Is that fair to the current players? Of course not. But fandom is not exactly rational.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

44WeWantMore wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:11 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:59 am

Interesting point-times will change as will personnel but I won’t let my kids go to Duke. They were entrusted with kids and sold them out flat out, to cater to a cohort of fighters and protesters without any evidence. I was more joking about the whining about those kids getting an extra year and old allegations it was the ncaa in conspiracy w Duke to prop up their lacrosse program.

May have been me on article as I read a New Yorker piece when it was going down and it always stuck with me. Going back to it’s roots as a tobacco backed school then buying its way into elite academic status by overpaying prominent liberal arts professors and being a “newbie” in an old school world.

Was this the piece?

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2006 ... -on-campus
Yes, that was the article. Thank you for your initial post and for reminding us. The scary thing to me is that it reads as a defense of Duke's Administration. Again, I am not claiming I know Hopkins is better; we just know exactly what Duke is.
It's funny because I recall reading it in the middle of that scandal and discussing with a (black) colleague who was a little bit older than me (maybe late 30s early 40s when I was mid 20s) and who had some knowledge of lacrosse but hadn't played and went to NYU and suggested that it wouldn't shock me if the kids were rude, arrogant, got some sloppy mess show up and behaved poorly and when she left decided she'd get hers against them and it's sort of what happened. Had just read that piece as the behavior of the 88 faculty and administrators and overall reaction on that campus seemed disproportionate to what evidence we knew at the time. The shaming and full page ads all added up to something unbecoming almost even if they were guilty. I'm different, even at 22 I view a college as a ward for our children, not to say cover up or anything, but at a minimum remain neutral until it shakes out and be mindful that they are still kids and parents entrusted them to this institution to mold men - which also speaks to their own faults in the behavior they were shouting down.

Edit: I did however enjoy the sex review ppt that girl on campus created. Read it slide by slide...
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

44WeWantMore wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:16 am

Because in collegiate sports, we root for an institution as much as we do for the players. Not exactly a fair comparison, but I used to root for Penn State in football. Of all the Enormous State Universities, it seemed to me that they ran a clean program where most of the players graduated, and JoePa cared about his 'kids'. I no longer root for PSU. Is that fair to the current players? Of course not. But fandom is not exactly rational.
I have a lot less sympathy for those PSU football players because they chose to join a program with a deeply rotten, venomous, literally criminal culture that for years enabled the systematic abuse of children. Not to mention the majority of their fans could not have been happier to pretend like the whole thing never happened—so it's not like the players don't have support. They're well taken care of. So yeah I actually do think that's more than fair towards those players if a handful of fans are not ready to become PSU football fans again. That incident was not merely a PSU administrative failure but also one directly tied to the football program itself.

Anyway, didn't Duke get a new president recently? I'm sure a lot within that administration has changed since 2007.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

Is the full page ad available anywhere online? I don't think I've ever seen it.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:48 am

I have a lot less sympathy for those PSU football players because they chose to join a program with a deeply rotten, venomous, literally criminal culture that for years enabled the systematic abuse of children. Not to mention the majority of their fans could not have been happier to pretend like the whole thing never happened—so it's not like the players don't have support. They're well taken care of. So yeah I actually do think that's more than fair towards those players if a handful of fans are not ready to become PSU football fans again. That incident was not merely a PSU administrative failure but also one directly tied to the football program itself.

Anyway, didn't Duke get a new president recently? I'm sure a lot within that administration has changed since 2007.
Good insight on Duke,
I was trying to come up with some sort of angle based on
my own limited contact with Duke alum, but was drawing
a blank.

As to Penn State,
way too many anecdotes of Paterno, the Admins, high profile
alum and ex-players turning a blind eye towards bad behavior
for the sake of the football machine.
That entire greater State College area was much too dependent
and maybe they still are,
on Penn State football to where they let things great and small, slide.
Last edited by 10stone5 on Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

ohmilax34 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:56 am Is the full page ad available anywhere online? I don't think I've ever seen it.
It has been pretty effectively memory-holed, so this is typical of the low-resolution versions available in a quick search:
http://johnsville.blogspot.com/2007/02/ ... e-and.html

For obsessives who were following the case in real time, http://durhamwonderland.blogspot.com/ was invaluable.
Back in the day, there was a stark contrast with Nancy Grace on CNN Headline News.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

44WeWantMore wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:30 am
ohmilax34 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:56 am Is the full page ad available anywhere online? I don't think I've ever seen it.
It has been pretty effectively memory-holed, so this is typical of the low-resolution versions available in a quick search:
http://johnsville.blogspot.com/2007/02/ ... e-and.html

For obsessives who were following the case in real time, http://durhamwonderland.blogspot.com/ was invaluable.
Back in the day, there was a stark contrast with Nancy Grace on CNN Headline News.
Thanks!!!
bananas

Post by bananas »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:48 am

Penn State football program should have been shut down for good . Schiano was a assistant to that sick monster Sandusky for several years back in the early 90's . Want to believe his denials of knowing nothing afoul but rather Rutgers had stayed away. Practice my faith on my own , no use for institutions corrupted by men who cover up unforgivable sins. I was blessed that my parish piano teacher passed away before any damage could be done. Parents should always be on high alert for these vultures.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

For his last year at Duke, Nakeie Montgomery is playing football and lacrosse. As an RB, he’s gotten limited carries but he’s done well with those carries, Duke plays Louisville tonight, and… Who knows?

https://network.lummys.com/content/RiK8OoSzFCXUjef

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Duke
2ND PERIOD
5:23
High Point
Caddy Day
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

Duke down 1 at half.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

duke is a raw piece of sculpture material early season but then improve because of all the coaching into a work of art.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:08 pm duke is a raw piece of sculpture material early season but then improve because of all the coaching into a work of art.
Agreed. Disparate pieces that learn to become one.
Now up by 1. 3rd Q...
Caddy Day
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

14-11 final Duke won.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Turnandrake wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:43 pm 14-11 final Duke won.
they must be playing a 5th quarter, then because it's 14-12.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:46 pm
qtr 6, 16-12 now
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:56 pm
wgdsr wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:46 pm
qtr 6, 16-12 now
Lol trying to watch to many games….18-14 final

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”