Utah

D1 Mens Lacrosse
InsiderRoll

Re: Utah

Post by InsiderRoll »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:55 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:42 pm Everyone forget about Lars?
:lol:
Is there another Lars you’re talking about? Why would Lars Tiffany leave what is arguably the best job in college lacrosse to go to Utah. Unless they reach out and say we’ll pay you in the $600k+ range, which they won’t, I don’t see how that conversation even begins.
lorin

Post by lorin »

InsiderRoll wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:32 am
Is there another Lars you’re talking about? Why would Lars Tiffany leave what is arguably the best job in college lacrosse to go to Utah. Unless they reach out and say we’ll pay you in the $600k+ range, which they won’t, I don’t see how that conversation even begins.
How about Justin Ward from Army?
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

Or one of Lars’ assistants
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

I think he needed a sarcasm/wink emoji...I could be wrong, but my strong guess would be that he wasn't serious. Thus my laugh.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Was a joke. Now his predecessor at UVA...
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

BigTom5 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:08 am Or one of Lars’ assistants
Yeah I could see Kirwan putting his hat in the ring for this one, like he has for several other recent openings.

The timing stinks—I’m not sure what kind of candidate they’re going to be able to land at this point. They’re better off naming Manny the interim for the upcoming season and doing the real search next spring/summer though based on that press release it doesn’t sound like that’s in the cards.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:59 am
Yeah I could see Kirwan putting his hat in the ring for this one, like he has for several other recent openings.

The timing stinks—I’m not sure what kind of candidate they’re going to be able to land at this point. They’re better off naming Manny the interim for the upcoming season and doing the real search next spring/summer though based on that press release it doesn’t sound like that’s in the cards.
Suppose guys like Sowell and Meade are floating around out there. Sowell probably could be a great fit just I’ll put w wear coast athletes and crush western Canada for recruits. He could conceivably take down a well established now Denver program run by Matt Brown if he chose and had some breaks. I think a ball roll out recruit like hell guy is the right candidate. Sowell, Kerwick, Desko, etc. not a top down command and control type coach. Sell skiing and Mormon hotties. The Jazz have the reigning NBA mvp. I like Snowbasin Ogden and Salt Lake a lot personally. There’s also a decent little tech sector in the Provo area I believe it was Macafee and some first generation businesses but more contemporary ones there too.

In fact I have deep inside knowledge of Furman ans would expect Utah to have more success than Furman all day and night based on culture and other considerations.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:32 am
Was a joke. Now his predecessor at UVA...
hmmm, Starsia would actually be interesting. Available.
If even as an interim play to stabilize whatever the real situation is there.

As would Petro, though I doubt that one in the short haul. But maybe.

Sowell would be very interesting too...I don't see Meade at this point but what do I know?
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:35 pm

hmmm, Starsia would actually be interesting. Available.
If even as an interim play to stabilize whatever the real situation is there.

As would Petro, though I doubt that one in the short haul. But maybe.

Sowell would be very interesting too...I don't see Meade at this point but what do I know?
Um, Dom is 69 years of age... I know some LaxPower folks are probably less young than Starsia, but considering his age and the way things ended for him at UVa... but what do I know? Speaking of UVa, I agree with BigTom 5, maybe one of Lars' assistants.
Qckstk

Post by Qckstk »

Petro, Starsia, Meade ? Why? All older guys who weren’t getting it done when they went out. There are some good young coaches out there who I believe would take Utah farther than the retreads, even though they don’t have the name recognition, such as McMinn, Moran or Wilkinson.
bar_down

Post by bar_down »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:03 am

Suppose guys like Sowell and Meade are floating around out there. Sowell probably could be a great fit just I’ll put w wear coast athletes and crush western Canada for recruits. He could conceivably take down a well established now Denver program run by Matt Brown if he chose and had some breaks. I think a ball roll out recruit like hell guy is the right candidate. Sowell, Kerwick, Desko, etc. not a top down command and control type coach. Sell skiing and Mormon hotties. The Jazz have the reigning NBA mvp. I like Snowbasin Ogden and Salt Lake a lot personally. There’s also a decent little tech sector in the Provo area I believe it was Macafee and some first generation businesses but more contemporary ones there too.

In fact I have deep inside knowledge of Furman ans would expect Utah to have more success than Furman all day and night based on culture and other considerations.

Sowell is a complete non factor in recruiting. During his time at USNA Wellner did 100% the recruiting for the Midshipmen. On my sons visit Sowell said hello, and that's it, the rest of the time he spent with Wellner. I know four kids currently on their roster and all the parents had the same experience, so I know but wasn't unique to my sons recruitment. One would think that Utah would want a coach that enjoys that aspect of running a program.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

bar_down wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:32 pm

Sowell is a complete non factor in recruiting. During his time at USNA Wellner did 100% the recruiting for the Midshipmen. On my sons visit Sowell said hello, and that's it, the rest of the time he spent with Wellner. I know four kids currently on their roster and all the parents had the same experience, so I know but wasn't unique to my sons recruitment. One would think that Utah would want a coach that enjoys that aspect of running a program.
His SBU success flies contrary to your narrative; and, he obviously trusted Wellner enough to let him do the heavy lifting--it's called delegating. Don't think for a second that Sowell wasn't involved in every recruiting decision..
lilax

Post by lilax »

Can Utah lure away a solid coach from a mid-major.

Someone like Jon Torpey of High Point?

He coached at Denver for a number of years, and clearly still has ties to the West Coast. Nolting is from Colorado.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

lilax wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:20 pm Can Utah lure away a solid coach from a mid-major.

Someone like Jon Torpey of High Point?

He coached at Denver for a number of years, and clearly still has ties to the West Coast. Nolting is from Colorado.
If the timing were better, Torpey makes some sense as someone who might make a lateral move for this job. I just can't see it happening now given it's already almost mid August. Cassese too, given he has put his hat in the ring for several openings, though I don't know if he'd be interested in this one—and, again, the timing is terrible. If timing weren't an issue, maybe Brian Fisher of Monmouth? He's done some good things there and was a longtime assistant at Notre Dame, so he's got some experience recruiting non hotbed areas.

I think it's more likely to be a current D1 assistant (or maybe a D2/D3 head coach). Kirwan, Wellner, Unterstein, Georgalas, Durkin, Rewkowski come to mind. I don't think John Grant. Jr. would leave Homewood so quickly but he certainly has connections out west and would be a splashy name.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Qckstk wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:39 pm Petro, Starsia, Meade ? Why? All older guys who weren’t getting it done when they went out. There are some good young coaches out there who I believe would take Utah farther than the retreads, even though they don’t have the name recognition, such as McMinn, Moran or Wilkinson.
I wasn’t advocating; simple fact is Starsia, Meade and Sowell are available; proven HC experience, lots of winning . Sowell youngest. petro has a gig but everyone knows he wants a D1 HC job soon as possible though I doubt it’d be Utah.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Desko is younger than Starsia. Not sure either is hungry for that kind of challenge.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:38 pm
Qckstk wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:39 pm Petro, Starsia, Meade ? Why? All older guys who weren’t getting it done when they went out. There are some good young coaches out there who I believe would take Utah farther than the retreads, even though they don’t have the name recognition, such as McMinn, Moran or Wilkinson.
I wasn’t advocating; simple fact is Starsia, Meade and Sowell are available; proven HC experience, lots of winning . Sowell youngest. petro has a gig but everyone knows he wants a D1 HC job soon as possible though I doubt it’d be Utah.
I’m not sure Coach Starsia would ever move that far from his Virginia homestead and his place in the Adirondacks, no matter how good the job.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:22 pm
I’m not sure Coach Starsia would ever move that far from his Virginia homestead and his place in the Adirondacks, no matter how good the job.

DocBarrister
Starsia would not move away from his girls. They are in an adult group home nearby to the Starsia family and flourishing there. Dom himself has said he could never move them from that situation.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:46 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:22 pm

DocBarrister
Starsia would not move away from his girls. They are in an adult group home nearby to the Starsia family and flourishing there. Dom himself has said he could never move them from that situation.
Completely agree. I love his Twitter posts on them.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
bar_down

Post by bar_down »

FMUBart wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:18 pm
bar_down wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:32 pm

His SBU success flies contrary to your narrative; and, he obviously trusted Wellner enough to let him do the heavy lifting--it's called delegating. Don't think for a second that Sowell wasn't involved in every recruiting decision..
It isn't a narrative, It's a lived experience. Only one of the two of us has first hand experience with him and recruiting and it ain't you. Of all the schools my son visited he spent at least an hour with each head coach, in three cases the entire time was spent with the head coach except for at the USNA. There Sewell said hello and the rest of the time was spent with Wellner, who is a great guy.

Obviously he watched film and decided who they should recruit but he had nothing to do with the actual recruiting of the player. You can point to his success at Stoney Brook but it speaks volumes that Wellner traded up within weeks of hitting the street and no one has hired Sowell.

I not bashing him as a person as I didn't speak enough with him to form an opinion, but I strongly suspect that the Utah AD isn't going to hire a hands off recruiting head coach right on the heels of a head coach who didn't enjoy recruiting and largely delegated that responsibility to Manny and Ghitleman. Again that isn't narrative. I spent an afternoon with him while he was still at UNC and he told me personally he detested wooing 16 year olds.

The funny thing is that are people that read these boards that have inside knowledge of the coaches and teams you watch every weekend but don't post because of guys like you. Congrats.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”