Supreme Court Ruling

D1 Mens Lacrosse
a fan

Re: Supreme Court Ruling

Post by a fan »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:32 am I think eventually colleges will try and help their players commercialize their NILs … for a small (or not so small) cut of the action, of course.

DocBarrister
...and if you're an attorney/agent representing these players, Doc? You're gonna charge these same colleges and conferences a fat fee to commercialize the players NIL to market the games.

And what happens if the player says "no, you can't use my image unless you pony up?"

The one way street of everyone but the players making money are over, Doc. That much is clear.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

NCAA Division I Council recommends interim policy on name, image and likeness to Division I Board of Directors:

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/me ... ess-policy
a fan

Post by a fan »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:18 pm NCAA Division I Council recommends interim policy on name, image and likeness to Division I Board of Directors:

From your citation:

College athletes can use a professional services provider for NIL activities.

That means sports agents are now legal.

Picture what it will look like when a billion dollar sports agency starts advocating for their NCAA clients.

The next few years will be bananas......
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:18 pm NCAA Division I Council recommends interim policy on name, image and likeness to Division I Board of Directors:

This will clear the way to get rid of the most stupid stuff that impacts athletes in our sport (lacrosse), but the real question is whether this is the death knell of the NCAA and whether full unionization happens across the board.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Reggie Bush...

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
palaxoff

Post by palaxoff »

While I feel bad for Reggie, I used to get tickets when the highway speed limit was 55 and I was doing 65. When they raised the speed limit didn't get my money back You have to play by the rules at the time. No matter how bad. I hope the $60,000,000 career earning in the NFL help with the pain.

So anyone thought about how the booster might abuse this rule for their team. Maybe the summer internships are $35,000
a fan

Post by a fan »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:41 pm This will clear the way to get rid of the most stupid stuff that impacts athletes in our sport (lacrosse), but the real question is whether this is the death knell of the NCAA and whether full unionization happens across the board.
I'm having a difficult time envisioning anything but unions for each sport, or some group that can bargain with the NCAA or Conferences etc. for their share of the take.

The ruling is about use of a player's name and image, right? Well, where else is a player's name and image used more than a telecast of a game? And are they getting paid for the use of their image and name in these games? Nope.

I'm not a lawyer, but it seems like those TV contracts are where the bulk of the money is piled for Football and Basketball players. I can't imagine that money being left on the table by a billion dollar sports agency repping the players. They're going to insist on their cut for using the players Name and Image during a broadcast.

And I can't see that happening in a reasonably orderly fashion without a player's union.

But...who knows where this is headed?
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

a fan wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:35 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:41 pm This will clear the way to get rid of the most stupid stuff that impacts athletes in our sport (lacrosse), but the real question is whether this is the death knell of the NCAA and whether full unionization happens across the board.
I'm having a difficult time envisioning anything but unions for each sport, or some group that can bargain with the NCAA or Conferences etc. for their share of the take.

The ruling is about use of a player's name and image, right? Well, where else is a player's name and image used more than a telecast of a game? And are they getting paid for the use of their image and name in these games? Nope.

I'm not a lawyer, but it seems like those TV contracts are where the bulk of the money is piled for Football and Basketball players. I can't imagine that money being left on the table by a billion dollar sports agency repping the players. They're going to insist on their cut for using the players Name and Image during a broadcast.

And I can't see that happening in a reasonably orderly fashion without a player's union.

For lacrosse I think this will be used more for ability for them to take endorsement money or use their personal name and brand for a camp etc.

I.e Mitchell Pelkhe who has a big social following might get paid by string king to string a stick on his channel and plug the gear. Or Brennan O’Neill could now join with Team 91 for “Brennan O’Neill’s attack camp”etc.

At this point I wouldn’t expect much in the way of television revenue sharing, professional players don’t get revenue shares of TV. Not directly anyways.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

My son is predicting player's reps right away beginning to make inroads, player's unions shortly. Thinks it's ultimately the death knell for the NCAA other than as sort of caretaker, referee in some instances.

We're having a barbecue Sat eve with a couple of his buddies, including a college coach, and expect we'll discuss over a few beers...
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:15 pm

My son is predicting player's reps right away beginning to make inroads, player's unions shortly. Thinks it's ultimately the death knell for the NCAA other than as sort of caretaker, referee in some instances.

We're having a barbecue Sat eve with a couple of his buddies, including a college coach, and expect we'll discuss over a few beers...
Hopefully the student reps will understand that the only sports that matter to the schools are football and men's basketball, and any women's teams that match the Title IX scholarship requirement. Schools will be happy to cut any money-losing program, and donors like the ones that saved Stanford's chopping block teams will pull their support real quick if their teams turn into a union-type situation where they demand more.
a fan

Post by a fan »

InsiderRoll wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:47 pm At this point I wouldn’t expect much in the way of television revenue sharing, professional players don’t get revenue shares of TV.
Sure they do! The MLB, NFL, and NBA all have TV revenue sharing spelled out in their CBA's. This is why I think that these colleges will HAVE to pay players their share of TV revenue....a lawyer repping a NCAA player can point to these CBA TV revenue sharing and say: "see, this is how it works in the free market". I can't imagine the NCAA or a University winning that fight, because the SCOTUS just told the NCAA that players have a right to seek compensation for name, image, and likeness.

How could that possibly NOT include televised games? Can you run a sport broadcast without showing a player, and calling their name out?

It's literally where all the money is in college sports. In what world would a professional sports agent NOT go after a piece of that revenue?
Last edited by a fan on Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Called this when it first happened. But my take....as it advances, will ultimately ruin the product. When the inmates run the asylum it seldom, if ever works out. Why? because self-centered interests, cultivate division, which fractures overall progress. Yes, unions help 'standardize' and represent en masse, which supports their cause....but it is also not all sunshine and rainbows.

Anyone have a scenario they want to throw out that we can try and pick apart??
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Lacrosse is one sport where college players, at least the few stars, could make significantly more than the pros based on TV time and fan loyalty. Shellenberger could probably make over $1 million in the next 3 years; maybe O'Neill too. Bernhardt would have made a lot this year, and imagine what a future Syracuse star (a genuine all-american, not an Anish/Carc "Rayfusssssss is Amazingggggg" pseudo hero) could make with their espn hype machine.

That said, it's a small pond and the real money is limited to a select few.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

I'll bite at one possible end game.

Revenue Sports (call it 50 football and 100 men's basketball teams) go pro (or as A Fan would say: capitalistic). Difference-makers will hire agents who negotiate big bucks, reducing the incentive for one-and-done players to jump to the NBA. The other players required to field revenue-producing teams have an all-but-in-name union that negotiates compensation that after tax covers tuition, room, and board plus a small stipend (think AAA baseball level). The all-but-in-name union provides ex-players some kind of long-term health insurance for post-retirement health issues arising from their playing days. Over time, student interest in revenue sports continues to decline as the fiction of the student-athlete becomes more apparent.

Non-revenue sports (everything else) go D-III or even club model. A modest bump in Admissions. No scholarships. Maybe even pay your own way. No Title IX because there will be plenty of sports opportunities to meet all the demand equally once football and men's basketball are removed from the equation.

Complication in this simple scenario: A deep-pocketed alumnus wants to fund a non-revenue team.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
a fan

Post by a fan »

44WeWantMore wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:04 pm No Title IX because there will be plenty of sports opportunities to meet all the demand equally once football and men's basketball are removed from the equation.
Why would you think that football and basketball would be removed from Title IX issues? Nothing has changed on that front.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

a fan wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:49 pm
44WeWantMore wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:04 pm No Title IX because there will be plenty of sports opportunities to meet all the demand equally once football and men's basketball are removed from the equation.
Why would you think that football and basketball would be removed from Title IX issues? Nothing has changed on that front.
Nothing has changed on that front yet. My hypothetical end-game is no athletic scholarships for anybody; D-III or club model for all non-revenue sports. For a handful of schools, football and men's basketball become essentially semi-pro teams that are licensed to use University branding.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

There definitely should be student-athlete unions for the major revenue sports like football and basketball. Not just to negotiate revenue sharing, but also healthcare benefits after college for the vast majority of players in those sports who will never play in the major professional leagues. Such unions would also have negotiating power to safeguard the health of students during college and to prevent abusive practices by coaches.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:43 pm

There definitely should be student-athlete unions for the major revenue sports like football and basketball. Not just to negotiate revenue sharing, but also healthcare benefits after college for the vast majority of players in those sports who will never play in the major professional leagues. Such unions would also have negotiating power to safeguard the health of students during college and to prevent abusive practices by coaches.

DocBarrister
You just killed college lacrosse. And every other sport besides football and basketball.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

keno in reno wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:49 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:43 pm

DocBarrister
You just killed college lacrosse. And every other sport besides football and basketball.
Yup and then some.
~Livy

cbrass

Post by cbrass »

Call them what they already are for certain athletes/sports at many schools: independant contractors. Get rid of the requirement to enroll as a student. Just do your job and get paid.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”