Salisbury 2022

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Asgot

Re: Salisbury 2022

Post by Asgot »

InsiderRoll wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:02 pm
Asgot wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:38 am
DeepPocket wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:47 pm
UpperCorner22 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:52 pm What's the chance these guys go un-defeated this year? Did they lose much fire-power or are they coming right back?
I know it’s Salisbury, and they “just reload,” but they lost 2/3 of their starting attack, a 3x AA Dman, their starting goal keeper, and their stud 71% Face-off man, who was a 6th year before 6th years were a thing.

I fully expect them to be in the hunt, but if any other team lost 5 key starters this forum would be rife with dissent.
This is a good point on top of the fact that many other teams are simply bring back a ton of kids. CNU is bringing back a ton. York is bringing back a ton and Tufts is also bring back a lot of kids. RIt has lost there Goalie but also brings back a bunch on offense. I can see them losing early to Lynchburg or York and then going on a long run deep into the playoffs.
Didn’t Tufts lose their entire starting defense and 4/6 offensive starters?
It looks like you may be right but, I am not sure about Tufts Covid protocols. Not sure if they are allowing seniors to come back, if they are not they are losing far more than I believed. They would be losing 7 of 10 starters their LSM, FOGO, and best SSDM. If this is true that would be a lot to replace, but I am not positive of this as Tufts has yet to update their roster.
ShoreThingMD

Post by ShoreThingMD »

Salisbury is scheduled to scrimmage UPenn in Philly tomorrow at 1pm at Franklin field. If anyone is around, would love to hear their thoughts and feedback on how both teams looked.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

ShoreThingMD wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:04 pm Salisbury is scheduled to scrimmage UPenn in Philly tomorrow at 1pm at Franklin field. If anyone is around, would love to hear their thoughts and feedback on how both teams looked.
I was thinking about going, does anyone know what if any covid restrictions the Ivy has for outdoor venues?
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

DeepPocket wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:59 pm
ShoreThingMD wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:04 pm Salisbury is scheduled to scrimmage UPenn in Philly tomorrow at 1pm at Franklin field. If anyone is around, would love to hear their thoughts and feedback on how both teams looked.
I was thinking about going, does anyone know what if any covid restrictions the Ivy has for outdoor venues?
https://pennathletics.com/news/2021/12/ ... lines.aspx

Looks like Penn is allowing people at indoor events as of 2/1 so you should be all good outside.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Here. But with kids so bare with me.

5-4 penn after 1st. Don’t know if numbers are the actual unis but

For sals it was.
Attack 50 4 22

FO 26 & 52

27 in goal

9 20 51 on D sometimes 35

1 16 and 6 with lion’s share of O mid looks

From the Penn students around me who know the players it’s Starters in for them. Looks like starters for both the way they’re playing. Real game looks.
Last edited by DeepPocket on Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Same players largely remained in through the entire half for both squads (presumably starters). 10-6 Penn at the half after a few long possessions wearing down the Salisbury D. Cheesesteak time for my kids. Cold as the dickens. I’m out.

The students around me said their friend, a Penn player, said this was going to be treated as a real game by the teams due to Penn players having missed time over the last two years.

Btw they were checking vax cards and doing pre screening e-forms too. No masks.
Laxwatch2007

Post by Laxwatch2007 »

In watching today’s scrimmage with Penn, I was struck by the differences in the styles of the two offenses. While Salisbury was content to spend most of their possessions with one player trying to dodge through the defense, Penn’s attack/middies quickly and patiently moved the ball around the perimeter waiting for a cutter to be open and or one of Salisbury’s D-poles get caught ball watching. As the 18 or 19 to 12 final score shows, the team that passed the ball scored more goals.

Overall, I think that the idea of pre-season scrimmages against D-1 teams is an outstanding idea and I congratulate the coaches and administrators at both schools for making it happen. Like I said after last year’s scrimmage with Drexel, I am hoping that scrimmages against near-by D-1 schools such as Drexel, Penn, Delaware, Towson, etc..will become a tradition for the Gulls.
Last edited by Laxwatch2007 on Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Laxwatch2007 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:39 pm In watching the scrimmage (all 4 quarters) I was struck by the differences in the styles of the two offenses. While Salisbury was content to spend most of their possessions with one player trying to dodge through the defense, Penn’s attack/middies quickly and patiently moved the ball around the perimeter waiting for a cutter to be open and or one of Salisbury’s D-poles get caught ball watching. As the 18 or 19 to 12 final score shows, the team that passed the ball scored more goals.
Did those same players stay in for the remainder of the game?
Laxwatch2007

Post by Laxwatch2007 »

DeepPocket wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:43 pm Did those same players stay in for the remainder of the game?
Salisbury’s second middies got a little more playing time in the 3rd quarter and by the start of the 4th quarter the Gulls had their second attack line in full time and may have also played some of their 3rd line middies. Penn’s coach pretty much made the same substitutions too. While I wish that the score at the end of the game could have been a little closer, overall I would say that the trip up to West Philadelphia was well worth it for the team.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Laxwatch2007 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:50 pm Salisbury’s second middies got a little more playing time in the 3rd quarter and by the start of the 4th quarter the Gulls had their second attack line in full time and may have also played some of their 3rd line middies. Penn’s coach pretty much made the same substitutions too. While I wish that the score at the end of the game could have been a little closer, overall I would say that the trip up to West Philadelphia was well worth it for the team.
Got it, thanks. Good on you staying out there. My car said it was 30 but it felt more like a windy 20. And I agree 100%, these interdivisional scrimmages are great for players and fans alike.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

The "spring" scrimmages between top D3 and Ivy League schools make a lot of sense. The D3 clubs get some run against a caliber of opponent who's as good or better than anyone they'll play all year. And the Ivies, with their later start, get some final tune ups when a lot of D1 has started playing games that count. Tufts-Dartmouth next weekend will be another good one.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Laxxal22 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:34 am The "spring" scrimmages between top D3 and Ivy League schools make a lot of sense. The D3 clubs get some run against a caliber of opponent who's as good or better than anyone they'll play all year. And the Ivies, with their later start, get some final tune ups when a lot of D1 has started playing games that count. Tufts-Dartmouth next weekend will be another good one.
Also RIT @ Yale. Good luck to Salisbury in 2022.
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

Laxwatch2007 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:39 pm
In watching today’s scrimmage with Penn, I was struck by the differences in the styles of the two offenses. While Salisbury was content to spend most of their possessions with one player trying to dodge through the defense, Penn’s attack/middies quickly and patiently moved the ball around the perimeter waiting for a cutter to be open and or one of Salisbury’s D-poles get caught ball watching. As the 18 or 19 to 12 final score shows, the team that passed the ball scored more goals.
The Gulls are as big, strong and fast as any D 1,2 or 3 team but it seems since the 2018 NC loss in tight situations they fall back to individual heroics on offense. Unless Berkman can find a way to break this #13 will remain of of reach. Maybe some of the senior and PG stars should just sit for some of the early games and work their way one by one into the lineup. Ball hog and back to the bench. Points against the some of the weaker teams on the schedule don't mean anything to the team.

Also I noticed Big Ben is missing from the sidelines. Between playing and coaching he's got to have 300 victories and enough rings that his knuckles drag the turf when he walks. Is he okay? Still coaching somewhere I hope? Leeds is certainly a capable replacement but Sandlin is a major loss.
Lax Knife

Post by Lax Knife »

Laxwatch2007 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:39 pm Overall, I think that the idea of pre-season scrimmages against D-1 teams is an outstanding idea and I congratulate the coaches and administrators at both schools for making it happen. Like I said after last year’s scrimmage with Drexel, I am hoping that scrimmages against near-by D-1 schools such as Drexel, Penn, Delaware, Towson, etc..will become a tradition for the Gulls.
Berkman's been doing it for a while. They used to go down to Duke every year and scrimmage them, pre-season. They've been rebuked by Maryland and I think Virginia for what are some understandable reasons, as I've heard them. The coaches at these schools apparently see it as: "What's the upside to my D1 team scrimmaging a D3 team? If I win, I'm just beating up on them and if I lose, it's a bad look for my team. It's a no-good-outcome proposition for the D1 coach and team."
LarumVictoia

Post by LarumVictoia »

MrLax2U wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:46 am
The Gulls are as big, strong and fast as any D 1,2 or 3 team but it seems since the 2018 NC loss in tight situations they fall back to individual heroics on offense. Unless Berkman can find a way to break this #13 will remain of of reach. Maybe some of the senior and PG stars should just sit for some of the early games and work their way one by one into the lineup. Ball hog and back to the bench. Points against the some of the weaker teams on the schedule don't mean anything to the team.

Also I noticed Big Ben is missing from the sidelines. Between playing and coaching he's got to have 300 victories and enough rings that his knuckles drag the turf when he walks. Is he okay? Still coaching somewhere I hope? Leeds is certainly a capable replacement but Sandlin is a major loss.
If you take a step back and look, the Gulls were very close to winning the last 3 NC games - Even in the loss to Cabrini in the semis, SU had beaten Cabrini earlier that season 13-5 - The last 3-4 years the offense was almost unstoppable when the moved the ball and players were moving off-ball - SU lost over 40% of their assists production form last year with the graduations of only two of their starters. Couldn't agree more with the importance of team play by the Gulls, but I think the coach played a role in promoting the shot disparity.

Case in point... During the 2021 NC, the "rat attack" from '18 scored 7 goals, shot 70%, 4 assists, 6GB's and only two TO's-
Between the three of them, they only got 4 shots in the 3rd, 4th, OT1 and OT2...

Just a side note - The same D-man covering Ferrara in '21 held Blondino to 1 G & 2 A in '17 - One more assisted goal in '21 would have been nice-
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

I'm a Cabrini homer and I legit respect SU and every loss I was a part of and watched to SU (and there were like 12 of those and 2 wins, and lets face it, more losses to come I'm sure), I never walked away and made an excuse. I haven't said anything disrespectful or dismissive inside or outside of the circle of trust. The Gulls got beat in the 2019 semis. It had nothing to do with hero ball on the Gulls part. Jordan Krug went unconscious and TOOK OVER. Gulls came back and Cabrini responded in kind. I've watched the replay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkEmLmWv_Aw

2021 NC, yeah, a chunk of ball watching. And one unfortunate decision IMHO. They were at RIT's level and executed at or above standard.

UPENN and really any D1 top 20 program, in season, is not comparable depth wise. Fall ball, preseason, sure. Game time, in season? No. I'm not hating. I'm a D3 guy through and through. Tufts v Dartmouth 2021? LOL. We don't have the athleticism or depth. It's not a slight. The rosters at the top end up there are not comparable.
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

MVPiccoli wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:51 pm I'm a Cabrini homer and I legit respect SU and every loss I was a part of and watched to SU (and there were like 12 of those and 2 wins, and lets face it, more losses to come I'm sure), I never walked away and made an excuse. I haven't said anything disrespectful or dismissive inside or outside of the circle of trust. The Gulls got beat in the 2019 semis. It had nothing to do with hero ball on the Gulls part. Jordan Krug went unconscious and TOOK OVER. Gulls came back and Cabrini responded in kind. I've watched the replay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkEmLmWv_Aw

2021 NC, yeah, a chunk of ball watching. And one unfortunate decision IMHO. They were at RIT's level and executed at or above standard.

UPENN and really any D1 top 20 program, in season, is not comparable depth wise. Fall ball, preseason, sure. Game time, in season? No. I'm not hating. I'm a D3 guy through and through. Tufts v Dartmouth 2021? LOL. We don't have the athleticism or depth. It's not a slight. The rosters at the top end up there are not comparable.
Very interesting post. Can you unravel further your thoughts on depth, DI v DIII top level teams?
poster formerly know as "wherestheslide"
LarumVictoia

Post by LarumVictoia »

MVPiccoli wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:51 pm I'm a Cabrini homer and I legit respect SU and every loss I was a part of and watched to SU (and there were like 12 of those and 2 wins, and lets face it, more losses to come I'm sure), I never walked away and made an excuse. I haven't said anything disrespectful or dismissive inside or outside of the circle of trust. The Gulls got beat in the 2019 semis. It had nothing to do with hero ball on the Gulls part. Jordan Krug went unconscious and TOOK OVER. Gulls came back and Cabrini responded in kind. I've watched the replay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkEmLmWv_Aw

Cabrini did earn that semifinal win in '19 no question - Krug was something in 2019 (especially the playoffs)- Frankly, he deserved the POY award -

Regarding the top D3 vs D1, if we're talking the top 2-3 D3 teams, I think they can compete with 10-20 a fair amount of the time. Drexel hadn't played yet when they scrimmaged SU in '21, but the Gulls took it to them. I really do believe the the '21 Gulls team would have competed with UPENN
LarumVictoia

Post by LarumVictoia »

LarumVictoia wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:43 pm
MrLax2U wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:46 am

I heard Ben Sandlin got the AD position at the high school where he teaches -
YCOLaxFanSU

Post by YCOLaxFanSU »

Did anyone catch the scrimmages against Essex and Harford? Any insight?

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”