Hobart 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Hobart 2022

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I’m sure that’s what everyone thinks he’s doing and needed that clarification.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
GeneralBart

Post by GeneralBart »

Nice article featuring Braeden Wimer:

https://www.bocopreps.com/2021/06/17/bo ... -quarters/
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Another area where we could improve is by consistently playing 4 quarters. I know lacrosse is a streaky game with lots of ebbs and flows, but with the exception of 2019, the last decade or more has been marked by teams that either started slow or dropped whole quarters. I think this matters even more than fundamentals -- or, to put it another way, our fundamentals are fine until they fall apart. Is it pressure that makes them fall apart? I don't think so. And I am saying this while also realizing that we have a good record. 3 quarters of good lacrosse has been enough for us to win more than we lose. But to make the jump to the next level, we need 4 quarters. I (and others) have been harping on this for a while, but maybe it is SOS that really needs to change for us?
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

SOS has to improve if the team is to improve. We need better competition. And not just the usual suspects. Of course, trying to get teams outside our usual group will be difficult. Higher "ranked" teams don't want the blemish of losing to us. Though it seems to be a bit of cowardice on their part. Yeah, yeah... I get it. Why risk an "L"? The best teams take on anyone.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

GeneralBart wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:27 pm Nice article featuring Braeden Wimer:

https://www.bocopreps.com/2021/06/17/bo ... -quarters/
43,28,71 on 46% shooting and 6’1”, 195 all looks good to me.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

oldbartman wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:51 pm SOS has to improve if the team is to improve. We need better competition. And not just the usual suspects. Of course, trying to get teams outside our usual group will be difficult. Higher "ranked" teams don't want the blemish of losing to us. Though it seems to be a bit of cowardice on their part. Yeah, yeah... I get it. Why risk an "L"? The best teams take on anyone.
I’ve heard that perhaps this is where Raymond can improve and we may need to swallow some pride and take a 2:1 or 1 rod game a few times here to get that improvement in OOC. It appears Colgate is reverting to the historical mean so they plus Canisius and Siena is too much given the conference we are in to build anything meaningful.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

If you scroll down you can find info on the seasons for 4 22s from Jersey for us (Collin Rovere, Michael Amuoroso, Ellis Wilson ans Seamus Schoefield - the last won 88% of faceoffs this season)

https://www.nj.com/highschoolsports/202 ... votes.html
catchnshoot

Post by catchnshoot »

Very difficult to improve SOS
It’s been fun to follow the Statesmen under Raymond but the team has not won a really significant game .
I’m struggling to think of a single game that we won as an underdog. We haven’t really been competitive in games with Cornell , Syracuse etc..,
Even the next level down OOC we’ve lost to Binghamton several times
The team is always “ just dangerous “ enough to possibly be a threat but no boost in beating Hobart.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

catchnshoot wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:52 am Very difficult to improve SOS
It’s been fun to follow the Statesmen under Raymond but the team has not won a really significant game .
I’m struggling to think of a single game that we won as an underdog. We haven’t really been competitive in games with Cornell , Syracuse etc..,
The team is always “ just dangerous “ enough to possibly be a threat but no boost in beating Hobart.
I disagree on the „we haven’t won a significant game.“ You seem to forget that we beat Cornell during the Raymond era. You may say that Cornell was down that year, but they‘re still Cornell and we‘d have to look at how they did the rest of that year. Plus, I would argue that St. Joe‘s and Bryant are significant wins. As for Cornell and Syracuse, they are powers and not too many people (outside of the Ivy League and the ACC) beat them. Neither team tends to get beat in OOC games, so it‘s not surprising that we haven’t beaten them. And you‘re also forgetting our win over Georgetown a few years ago. I would call that significant.
catchnshoot

Post by catchnshoot »

Fair enough on the Joes and Bryant games.
Cornell had a losing record and was really poor when we beat them , we were actually favored in the Georgetown win they were 2-12 that year
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Ketch wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:11 am
I disagree on the „we haven’t won a significant game.“ You seem to forget that we beat Cornell during the Raymond era. You may say that Cornell was down that year, but they‘re still Cornell and we‘d have to look at how they did the rest of that year. Plus, I would argue that St. Joe‘s and Bryant are significant wins. As for Cornell and Syracuse, they are powers and not too many people (outside of the Ivy League and the ACC) beat them. Neither team tends to get beat in OOC games, so it‘s not surprising that we haven’t beaten them. And you‘re also forgetting our win over Georgetown a few years ago. I would call that significant.
The Georgetown and Cornell wins should come with the context that both were some of their historically worst teams in a generation or more.

UVM in 2019 is probably the best win we’ve had since 2017 OOC and may have been better than that Cornell team we smashed. 2017 and 2019 were ultimately disappointing losing to Bryant in close games both times, especially our inability to beat a zone in 17 before shot clock era began.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:33 am
Ketch wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:11 am
The Georgetown and Cornell wins should come with the context that both were some of their historically worst teams in a generation or more.

UVM in 2019 is probably the best win we’ve had since 2017 OOC and may have been better than that Cornell team we smashed. 2017 and 2019 were ultimately disappointing losing to Bryant in close games both times, especially our inability to beat a zone in 17 before shot clock era began.
Georgetown and Cornell- big time programs. A win against them is a win against them. Didn‘t Cornell have Jeff Teat that year? So what if he was a freshman. Still Jeff Teat.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

What would the committee value those wins if we won every other game except Cuse and lost in NEC finals?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Accolades for recruits rolling in but wanted to post this all CNY which includes more than one commit but really liked Will Delano’s style.

I’m still very optimistic about the FR and Soph classes of 21 and incoming who have lost meaningful PT to Covid but if healthy could be excellent. Verdicts still out on Brundage IMO. Could see a ton of CNY/upstate kids making a mark on a successful team next spring if healthy but I worry about how Holtby is going t be after that NEC playoff game or if anyone else steps up like Bland.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.syracu ... utType=amp
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Agree that the verdict is still out. Felt like we saw one Brundage in 2019 and another one in 2020. The 2019 style was dynamic, fluid, and aggressive. The 2020 was a return to the past, with a more controlled, pass around the perimeter and look for set openings style. Was that just different players being available? Or was 2020 a return to the fundamental style that Raymond wants? It was exciting in 2019 to know that players were allowed to take their shots when they saw them. But in 2019 the shots fell, and in 2020 they were off goal, flat planed, or aimed at the goalies' chest. (Saying this with all respect for a winning record). Were these different styles just necessary adaptations to the players who were there? There were quite a few times in 2019 when Holden or Scott lifted the team with a key individual play.
I also have to wonder how much of 2020 just simply had to do with COVID, lack of play in the fall, and the rust that comes from lack of practice together.
twistercity

Post by twistercity »

seems like a major reason for the fast play was the ability to run Scott Madonna and Herlihy as two way middies. The more confident coaches are with the key two way middies enables the ability to play up tempo in my eyes. Losing Scott and Herlihy and then Madonna having to move down to attack means no up tempo offense (more focused subbing in 6v6 half field, less transition). covid issues certainly didn't help either... expecting to see a style of play more similar to short 2020 season than last years team.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Good point. Wondering if a Romm or a Bach could fill a Scott role moving forward.
twistercity

Post by twistercity »

Laxgunea wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:04 pm Good point. Wondering if a Romm or a Bach could fill a Scott role moving forward.
Max Romm would have been great as a two way guy, lets hope Mason progresses similarly
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxgunea wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:04 pm Good point. Wondering if a Romm or a Bach could fill a Scott role moving forward.
I’ve been high on Mitrow if he can ever stay healthy. One of the 22s from NJ had like 52pts and 66gbs as a midfielder as a Jr this season (Rovere I think). Seems like we have a few of those strong overall midfielders in the 21-22 classes
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

If a middie is going to be a 2 way player or and SSDM, the need to be big enough as well as strong enough to knock a dodging player off their line. We didn't have that in '21. Yes, a few guys were injured. Hope they come back healthy. If the team expects to win the NEC, they have to stand up to Bryant, SJU & LIU.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”