May 14 RV Fairfield W 19-6
May 16 #17/19 Temple W 21-11
May 22 #5 Notre Dame W 21-10
May 28 #1 North Carolina W 11-10
May 30 #3 Syracuse W 16-10
Cletus

Re: The Boston College Eagles - 2021 National Champions

Post by Cletus »

The boundless energy of youth. They were at the Red Sox game at Fenway this afternoon to throw out the first pitch, and now they're at the Gahden for game 5 between the Bruins and Islanders.

LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Laxfan500 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:50 pm
Cletus wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:54 am I can see why others on here are continually trying to discredit North. She's a great player, and she's flashy. She's in your face. So if you don't like BC because BC knocked off your team, it's a natural (albeit base) reaction. She's the player you'd love to have on your team, but you hate on the opposition. Wasted energy though. Instead of appreciating what she's done this year, time is spent combing and combing for nits. Pretty sad and pathetic.

As an aside--I'm delighted she broke the record for goals scored in a season. The previous record had all kinds of asterisks all over it coming from the weak sisters of the poor America East conference. With North setting the record against the best teams in the country, no one (rational) can question the validity of the single season goal scoring record.

Beat teams in the country??? No, just no. Temple?? Fairfield? VT? Albany ? Wow …slow your roll dude and just say “teams”.
The way he made his argument re: the America East wasn’t very diplomatic. I give you that. But it doesn’t mean his argument was any less valid.

Charlotte’s record came against better competition in a tougher conference. Period.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

It's not easy wearing the crown, as ol' King Henry the IV will tell yer. There was some mild social media stuff about repeating on one of BC's media accounts. That's not the way to start a defense--predicting another championship. They will have a big target on their back from day one. It's not easy to repeat. It hasn't been done for a little while now as the sport is growing and the players are getting better and going to schools other than the powerhouses. No sure thing BC repeats, in fact it's improbable.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:48 pm
Laxfan500 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:50 pm
Cletus wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:54 am I can see why others on here are continually trying to discredit North. She's a great player, and she's flashy. She's in your face. So if you don't like BC because BC knocked off your team, it's a natural (albeit base) reaction. She's the player you'd love to have on your team, but you hate on the opposition. Wasted energy though. Instead of appreciating what she's done this year, time is spent combing and combing for nits. Pretty sad and pathetic.

As an aside--I'm delighted she broke the record for goals scored in a season. The previous record had all kinds of asterisks all over it coming from the weak sisters of the poor America East conference. With North setting the record against the best teams in the country, no one (rational) can question the validity of the single season goal scoring record.
Beat teams in the country??? No, just no. Temple?? Fairfield? VT? Albany ? Wow …slow your roll dude and just say “teams”.
The way he made his argument re: the America East wasn’t very diplomatic. I give you that. But it doesn’t mean his argument was any less valid.

Charlotte’s record came against better competition in a tougher conference. Period.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Hey Cletus...don't do that "she played in this conference", so therefore that makes what she did better/worse than someone else.

I ABHOR that crap!! I don't pit conference against league. I don't disrespect a Division if it's not D1. Having said that, Courtney Murphy's record was THEE record until Charlotte North broke it. There were no damn asterisks on Courtney's achievement. Go say that to Spallina about Murphy. His response will not be pleasant.

I have been saying this for years. Lacrosse is NOT big enough for anyone to be acting like they are above it all. In the ocean that is SPORTS, Lacrosse is merely a flyspeck. And again as the great philosopher LAVAR BALL said, "Stay in Yo Lane!"
Last edited by LarryGamLax on Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

LarryGamLax wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:06 pm Hey Cletus...don't do that "she played in this conference, so therefore that makes what she did better/worse than someone else.

I ABHOR that crap!! I don't pit conference against league. I don't disrespect a Division if it's not D1. Having said that, Courtney Murphy's record was THEE record until Charlotte North broke it. There were no damn asterisks on Courtney's achievement. Go say that to Spallina about Murphy. His response will not be pleasant.

I have been saying this for years. Lacrosse is NOT big enough for anyone to be acting like they are above it all. In the ocean that is SPORTS, Lacrosse is merely a flyspeck. And again as the great philosopher LAVAR BALL said, "Stay in Yo Lane!"
Hey Larry--I write what I want. You don't like what I write--don't read it. Or go pound sand. Either works.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

LarryGamLax wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:06 pm Hey Cletus...don't do that "she played in this conference, so therefore that makes what she did better/worse than someone else.

admin wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:54 am Discuss issues, not post-ers. If you don't like reading people's opinions about lacrosse teams, players, and coaches… you've come to the wrong forum.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Except for all those pesky goals that didn't.

This entire notion that the previous records came with an asterisk is a complete pile of BS. Did Courtney Murphy Play in NCAA sanctioned games? Did the goals come in those games? Did she play with in the rules in regards to her eligibility or status as a compliant athlete? It appears that the answer is yes to all these questions so her record stood with out an asterisk.....period.

That record now belongs to Ms. North. She checks off all boxes as did Ms Murphy. There is no asterisk on this record either.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

I have a good question...Does anyone know Charlotte North's background(athletic)? She's from Dallas, Texas(Football 24/7), but she plays like she's from Long Island or Maryland. How did THAT happen? Are her parents originally from the East Coast? Did either play Lacrosse?
I'm fascinated that a girl from Dallas can play like that. Taylor Thornton(2010-13) was outstanding for Northwestern. She was from Dallas, Texas, but didn't play like that. Jess Carroll(2012-15) was a solid role player for NU. She was from Houston, Texas but didn't play like that.

So, where did Charlotte North's style of play, skill level and swagger come from? I am absolutely curious.
glaxer24

Post by glaxer24 »

LarryGamLax wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:57 am I have a good question...Does anyone know Charlotte North's background(athletic)? She's from Dallas, Texas(Football 24/7), but she plays like she's from Long Island or Maryland. How did THAT happen? Are her parents originally from the East Coast? Did either play Lacrosse?
I'm fascinated that a girl from Dallas can play like that. Taylor Thornton(2010-13) was outstanding for Northwestern. She was from Dallas, Texas, but didn't play like that. Jess Carroll(2012-15) was a solid role player for NU. She was from Houston, Texas but didn't play like that.

So, where did Charlotte North's style of play, skill level and swagger come from? I am absolutely curious.
I’m sure you’ve heard she played basketball and field hockey before lacrosse, what happens often in Texas is that girls pick up lacrosse sticks after they have played multiple sports so they are already naturally athletic and their learning curve is more of stick skills and game IQ than athleticism (which not all laxers are naturally gifted in.) So, you combine a natural athlete with great coaching and a second to none work ethic, and you have North. She has a real passion for the game and stays hungry, both of which are qualities that not all athletes have, plain and simple.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Scoring record lasts 1 year - predicting Izzy Scane scores 115+ goals next year.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Bart wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:21 pm

This entire notion that the previous records came with an asterisk is a complete pile of BS. Did Courtney Murphy Play in NCAA sanctioned games? Did the goals come in those games? Did she play with in the rules in regards to her eligibility or status as a compliant athlete? It appears that the answer is yes to all these questions so her record stood with out an asterisk.....period.

That record now belongs to Ms. North. She checks off all boxes as did Ms Murphy. There is no asterisk on this record either.
I should have clarified: I agree with his argument that the America East competition is not what Charlotte faced in the ACC. I do not, however, agree there were any asterisks next to the original record. I would never try to take that away from her. My point was (and it is proven out factually given RPI of opponents) that North's goal scoring record came against tougher competition. These women play the competition on their schedule; they have no choice in the matter. I am not saying Murphy ducked hard competition or making any judgement on her as a player/person. I am just saying the numbers and facts bare out that North's came against tougher competition. Could Murphy have done the same thing if she was playing for BC? We will never know.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:15 am
Bart wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:21 pm

I should have clarified: I agree with his argument that the America East competition is not what Charlotte faced in the ACC. I do not, however, agree there were any asterisks next to the original record. I would never try to take that away from her. My point was (and it is proven out factually given RPI of opponents) that North's goal scoring record came against tougher competition. These women play the competition on their schedule; they have no choice in the matter. I am not saying Murphy ducked hard competition or making any judgement on her as a player/person. I am just saying the numbers and facts bare out that North's came against tougher competition. Could Murphy have done the same thing if she was playing for BC? We will never know.
+1
Well put. Absolutely no asterisks involved. Just an observation that CN's goals came against tougher competition. Now you could also say that she benefited from more talented teammates than Murphy which offset the tougher opponents argument. Not a huge deal either way, IMO, but an interesting barroom discussion -- like home many more HRs would Ted Williams have hit if he hadn't served as an aviator in WWII and the Korean War. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Willi ... ry_service
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:15 am Could Murphy have done the same thing if she was playing for BC? We will never know.
Sure we would. Murphy had 1 goal vs (2) top 5 ranked teams in ‘16

Nuff said
Bart

Post by Bart »

Cletus wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:44 am
LaxPundit07 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:15 am Could Murphy have done the same thing if she was playing for BC? We will never know.

Nuff said
So now she was playing for BC in ‘16?
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Bart wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:53 am

Nuff said
Ever heard of a Pay No Mind list, Bart? Or a Not Worth My Time list?

seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Nuff said
Why is it necessary to disparage others in order to highlight North’s skills and passion? This is “12 year old with an internet connection” stuff. Small.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

seacoaster wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:47 am

Nuff said
Why is it necessary to disparage others in order to highlight North’s skills and passion? This is “12 year old with an internet connection” stuff. Small.
Don’t forget, sea...

“Discuss issues, not post-ers. If you don't like reading people's opinions about lacrosse teams, players, and coaches, ...you've come to the wrong forum.”

—admin
Bart

Post by Bart »

Cletus wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:26 am
Bart wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:53 am

Nuff said
Ever heard of a Pay No Mind list, Bart? Or a Not Worth My Time list?

Awesome. Add me to yours.

oh and done forget.............

“Discuss issues, not post-ers. If you don't like reading people's opinions about lacrosse teams, players, and coaches, ...you've come to the wrong forum.”

—admin
Last edited by Bart on Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”