2021 Tewaaraton watch list released

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Laxallday

Re: 2021 Tewaaraton watch list released

Post by Laxallday »

Can Opener wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:15 pm
laxagainsthumanity wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:44 pm FTR I am every bit as awed by Scane's and Ortega's highlights as I am with North's, and just as impressed by the 98% of their game that doesn't end up on the reel. Are they as social media friendly, maybe not, but they are by no means any less skilled. All three of them do things nobody else can. All three have many times been unstoppable. Plus, as has been alluded to, if the committee cared about flair, Treanor would have won the award over Cummings, probably multiple times. If North wins the Tewaaraton over these other two, it will be for her DCs, but IMO she's fighting an uphill battle to catch up with Ortega and to a lesser extent Scane, as North more recently elevated her game to earn consideration in this conversation. She would have to give the committee no excuse.
Admittedly, I haven't followed UNC and NU as closely as BC, but I have seen a couple of complete games and lots of highlights/recaps. I posed this question to Cletus earlier and didn't get a response from a man who is a top 1% Googler and masterful curator of all things women's lacrosse. Can one of you post links of Scane and Ortega that show something like the jaw-dropping dodges and rocket shots of North? Not trying to be a wise guy. Sincerely interested in seeing them.
Tewaaraton award is not a trick shot award. Both Ortega and Scane score more and make it less about them.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Laxallday wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:07 pm
laxagainsthumanity wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:44 pm FTR I am every bit as awed by Scane's and Ortega's highlights as I am with North's, and just as impressed by the 98% of their game that doesn't end up on the reel. Are they as social media friendly, maybe not, but they are by no means any less skilled. All three of them do things nobody else can. All three have many times been unstoppable. Plus, as has been alluded to, if the committee cared about flair, Treanor would have won the award over Cummings, probably multiple times. If North wins the Tewaaraton over these other two, it will be for her DCs, but IMO she's fighting an uphill battle to catch up with Ortega and to a lesser extent Scane, as North more recently elevated her game to earn consideration in this conversation. She would have to give the committee no excuse.
Admittedly, I haven't followed UNC and NU as closely as BC, but I have seen a couple of complete games and lots of highlights/recaps. I posed this question to Cletus earlier and didn't get a response from a man who is a top 1% Googler and masterful curator of all things women's lacrosse. Can one of you post links of Scane and Ortega that show something like the jaw-dropping dodges and rocket shots of North? Not trying to be a wise guy. Sincerely interested in seeing them.
Tewaaraton award is not a trick shot award. Both Ortega and Scane score more and make it less about them.
I love it. The Taliban are regrouping for one last assault on Fort North. Armed with pop guns and threadbare zingers, they are down to their last couple of salvos: trick shots, selfish play and unladylike celebrations. The war is over, lads. Haven't you been reading the pamphlets the BC-52s have been dropping on you? A question mark game winner in OT is not a trick shot. An 85 MPH free position rip is not a trick shot. An inside roll is not a trick shot. Winning draw controls against all Americans is not a trick shot. Calmly placing your stick on the turf after a goal and hugging your teammates is not excessive celebration. I have posted numerous clips of CN showing why she is the most revolutionary player in the game today. I have asked Cletus, LAH and now I'll ask you, LAD, please share the clips of JO and IS doing better. Crickets so far, but we maybe that video is out there. Three recent CN videos are below. Let me guess -- the response will be some combination of the eye test, secret sources from Duke, the things that don't show up in the stats, and the inferior Twitter managers at UNC and NU (two of the finest journalism schools in the land).

As for scoring more than CN, JO has fewer goals per game, so you are off base there. IS indeed has more goals and goals per game, but she has taken 134 shots to score 70 goals while CN has taken 91 shots to score 57. Put another way, CN has taken 22.9% of all BC shots this year while IS has taken 30.3% of all NU shots. One set of numbers does indeed suggest a player is making it "less about them." As I have said many times, IS and JO are both players that I would be thrilled to have as role models for my daughter. Nothing but love and respect for their games. I really can't understand why so many folks are intent on trashing CN to build up others. The BC coaching staff and players can't say enough good things about her as a teammate, both publicly and privately. Understanding a little about human nature, I get why the Duke organization may not share those views after losing one of the three best players in the country and has an interest in extending the false narrative of selfishness.

Here is just one example of CN shooting like no one else in women's lacrosse. You will notice three things: 1. The velocity of the shot. 2. One of the best goalies in the country curls up and begins dropping to her knees before the shot, which I would do, too! 3. One of the most modest cellies in the game of lacrosse.
https://twitter.com/PaulRabil/status/13 ... 87906?s=20

Here is CN breaking the ankles of an All American middie and the 2019 #1 HS recruit in the country:
https://twitter.com/BCwlax/status/13831 ... 89380?s=20

Here are two athletic moves by CN against Duke in a tight game:
https://twitter.com/BCwlax/status/13788 ... 31555?s=20

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the theatre?
njbill

Post by njbill »

Mr. North, maybe you have it backwards. What if the North cabal are the Taliban? :shock:

I'll stick with what I said a few days ago. What the players have done to date will pale in importance to what they do in their conference tourneys and in the NCAAs.

But I'll give you this. Your girl (or gal, as Dmac would say) is certainly in the running.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Laxallday, explain for me, if you would please, your definition of trick shot.
What you call a trick shot I would probably call mastering of the stick, or
creativity, or innovative play. You obviously don't like CN's style, but don't
let that blind your vision as to how good she is and what kind of effective
arsenal she's got. While her over the top celebrations have annoyed me at
times (so do many of the NFL celebrations), ultimately they don't mean jack
but her play on the field does and that's what the T Award committee has to,
or should, base their decision on.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Can Opener wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:15 pm Admittedly, I haven't followed UNC and NU as closely as BC, but I have seen a couple of complete games and lots of highlights/recaps. I posed this question to Cletus earlier and didn't get a response from a man who is a top 1% Googler and masterful curator of all things women's lacrosse. Can one of you post links of Scane and Ortega that show something like the jaw-dropping dodges and rocket shots of North? Not trying to be a wise guy. Sincerely interested in seeing them.
:lol: from a man who is a top 1% Googler and masterful curator of all things women's lacrosse. :lol:

There are a whole boatload of times Izzy ripped the back of the net with her standard missile launch from FP at the 8. Just as awe inspiring as North. I found a few highlights, but they focus more on Izzy's not-to-be-denied, bold dodges and speed:

https://youtu.be/Dvl-pSE9oOE

https://youtu.be/PPTztd3zFbg
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Laxallday wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:07 pm Tewaaraton award is not a trick shot award. Both Ortega and Scane score more and make it less about them.
(Disclaimer! I am not railing at you, Laxallday. The more regular participants we have here on the women's D1 boards, the better. I'm railing at the sentiment only.)

Neither one of them takes draws. It's not just about scoring. Ask '18 Tewaaraton winner Sam Apuzzo. Her numbers across the board were fat.

This is an obsolete observation and it just isn't true (if it ever was). Charlotte couldn't be further from this in how she has played this year. She no longer forces her shot when she is covered sufficiently--she looks to set up a teammate. She celebrates when her teammates score. So she's a passionate player, she loves the smell of battle, she has a warcry--So Frickin What! Is she a team player on the field? Does she make her team better? Does she make her teammates better? An emphatic YES to all.

Put that tired old besmirchment away and just watch her play.
Last edited by Cletus on Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Hey, remember when it was alleged that Duke would be better after they got rid of North? :lol:
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Cletus wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:41 am
Can Opener wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:15 pm Admittedly, I haven't followed UNC and NU as closely as BC, but I have seen a couple of complete games and lots of highlights/recaps. I posed this question to Cletus earlier and didn't get a response from a man who is a top 1% Googler and masterful curator of all things women's lacrosse. Can one of you post links of Scane and Ortega that show something like the jaw-dropping dodges and rocket shots of North? Not trying to be a wise guy. Sincerely interested in seeing them.
:lol: from a man who is a top 1% Googler and masterful curator of all things women's lacrosse. :lol:

There are a whole boatload of times Izzy ripped the back of the net with her standard missile launch from FP at the 8. Just as awe inspiring as North. I found a few highlights, but they focus more on Izzy's not-to-be-denied, bold dodges and speed:

Now you’re talkin', Cletus. That second clip in particular is pretty dang cool. Ironically, I would put both of these more in the category of amazing athlete than refined lacrosse player, which was the rap on CN for a couple of years. Nonetheless Izzy is clearly someone you would love to have on your team!
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Can Opener wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:52 am
Cletus wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:41 am

Now you’re talkin', Cletus. That second clip in particular is pretty dang cool. Ironically, I would put both of these more in the category of amazing athlete than refined lacrosse player, which was the rap on CN for a couple of years. Nonetheless Izzy is clearly someone you would love to have on your team!
You just may have inspired me to dig up some fpg’s from Isabelle. If I get home from work and still feel the juice, I’ll sniff out a few for you.
Laxallday

Post by Laxallday »

Lots of energy around this one. To be clear, great player, likely in final group. Might argue a few players had a hand in revolutionizing the game before Ms North pushed it a bit further. Ohlmiller and Lasota come to mind.
Laxallday

Post by Laxallday »

Can Opener wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:54 pm
I love it. The Taliban are regrouping for one last assault on Fort North. Armed with pop guns and threadbare zingers, they are down to their last couple of salvos: trick shots, selfish play and unladylike celebrations. The war is over, lads. Haven't you been reading the pamphlets the BC-52s have been dropping on you? A question mark game winner in OT is not a trick shot. An 85 MPH free position rip is not a trick shot. An inside roll is not a trick shot. Winning draw controls against all Americans is not a trick shot. Calmly placing your stick on the turf after a goal and hugging your teammates is not excessive celebration. I have posted numerous clips of CN showing why she is the most revolutionary player in the game today. I have asked Cletus, LAH and now I'll ask you, LAD, please share the clips of JO and IS doing better. Crickets so far, but we maybe that video is out there. Three recent CN videos are below. Let me guess -- the response will be some combination of the eye test, secret sources from Duke, the things that don't show up in the stats, and the inferior Twitter managers at UNC and NU (two of the finest journalism schools in the land).

As for scoring more than CN, JO has fewer goals per game, so you are off base there. IS indeed has more goals and goals per game, but she has taken 134 shots to score 70 goals while CN has taken 91 shots to score 57. Put another way, CN has taken 22.9% of all BC shots this year while IS has taken 30.3% of all NU shots. One set of numbers does indeed suggest a player is making it "less about them." As I have said many times, IS and JO are both players that I would be thrilled to have as role models for my daughter. Nothing but love and respect for their games. I really can't understand why so many folks are intent on trashing CN to build up others. The BC coaching staff and players can't say enough good things about her as a teammate, both publicly and privately. Understanding a little about human nature, I get why the Duke organization may not share those views after losing one of the three best players in the country and has an interest in extending the false narrative of selfishness.

Here is just one example of CN shooting like no one else in women's lacrosse. You will notice three things: 1. The velocity of the shot. 2. One of the best goalies in the country curls up and begins dropping to her knees before the shot, which I would do, too! 3. One of the most modest cellies in the game of lacrosse.

Here is CN breaking the ankles of an All American middie and the 2019 #1 HS recruit in the country:

That’s a lot of response. Let me clarify. Trick shot was the viral post from practice that got Ms North on the national map. Never said she wasn’t a transcendent talent, she is. Videos were nice though. Score more refers to points per game. You are correct on goals per game. As for the rest it’s a style thing that some like and some don’t. Not my style.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Can Opener wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:15 pm a man who is a top 1% Googler and masterful curator of all things women's lacrosse.
https://youtu.be/CpzlVkaHqck
Laxallday

Post by Laxallday »

Cletus wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:21 am Hey, remember when it was alleged that Duke would be better after they got rid of North? :lol:
Before I do what I hate...let facts stand in the way of a good argument, I want to be clear I AM a fan of this athlete's pure athletic gifts.

Duke with North
2018 Record 9-8 (53%), No NCAA Bid
2019 Record 11-8 (58%), No NCAA Bid

Duke w/o North:
2020 Record 6-3 (67%), No tourney held
2021 Record 9-5 (64%), Likely NCAA Bid

See how numbers can be misleading? No way they are better without North, and yet their record and results are.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Laxallday wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:51 am
Cletus wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:21 am Hey, remember when it was alleged that Duke would be better after they got rid of North? :lol:
Before I do what I hate...let facts stand in the way of a good argument, I want to be clear I AM a fan of this athlete's pure athletic gifts.

Duke with North
2018 Record 9-8 (53%), No NCAA Bid
2019 Record 11-8 (58%), No NCAA Bid

Duke w/o North:
2020 Record 6-3 (67%), No tourney held
2021 Record 9-5 (64%), Likely NCAA Bid

See how numbers can be misleading? No way they are better without North, and yet their record and results are.
But there’s a whole host of variables that aren’t included here which contribute more to your argument than not – namely, the signing of Gabby Rosenzweig, not to mention all the talented first and second year players added since the departure of Charlotte North.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Ortega has scored 61 goals on 86 shots for a .709 goals percentage. Her shots on goal percentage is .907. Ortega has taken only 19.8% of the shots for UNC.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Brownlax wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:34 am

Ortega has scored 61 goals on 86 shots for a .709 goals percentage. Her shots on goal percentage is .907. Ortega has taken only 19.8% of the shots for UNC.
That is unbelievable. Talk about money.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Since so many people are focused on the offense, I'd like to focus on goalies and point out that UNC's Taylor Moreno is number 1 in the NCAA in Goals Against Average with 5.83. She is also 2nd in Save percentage with 58.4%. The only goalie ahead of her has only played 2 games versus Moreno with 14 games. Moreno has also played one of the toughest schedules in the country. ACC Defensive Player of the Week - 3x this year already.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

seacoaster wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:45 am

I don't know if everyone appreciates just how unbelievable that kind of goal % is....not like she is playing against 2nd tier defenses & goalies. If she keeps it up, that stat may be what leads to the winning the T
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

Duke is better without CN. CN is also better without Duke (which is a problem for Duke). To me, it's that simple and there's no need to read into anything further.

There are a couple common CN critiques that I think are unfair. The first is that she's all about herself on the field (ball hog, just takes trick shots, etc). I think this used to be true to some extent, but she has improved as a distributor and her shooting percentage speaks for itself. The other is her excessive celebrations, which also used to be a fair point (and still annoys me a bit, personally) but aren't the issue that they used to be. Having said all of that, people do associate those things with North from earlier in her career and I do think a lot of lacrosse purists would be unhappy to see her win the Tewey for that reason.

CO, no, Scane and Ortega do not have highlight reels that have the same wide-reaching appeal as CN's. You can know almost nothing about lacrosse and be appropriately blown away by CN. I think appreciating Ortega and Scane to the extent that they deserve requires more knowledge/experience. CN plays the game differently than anyone else, and that makes her prowess very obvious. Ortega and Scane stay within the lines, but Ortega in particular does it better than maybe anyone before her.
Brownlax wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:40 am Since so many people are focused on the offense, I'd like to focus on goalies and point out that UNC's Taylor Moreno is number 1 in the NCAA in Goals Against Average with 5.83. She is also 2nd in Save percentage with 58.4%. The only goalie ahead of her has only played 2 games versus Moreno with 14 games. Moreno has also played one of the toughest schedules in the country. ACC Defensive Player of the Week - 3x this year already.
Moreno absolutely should be in this conversation and the only thing that may keep her from being a finalist is her own equally deserving teammates. We saw with the Big 3 at BC that the committee does not want to have three finalists from one program. I had assumed that UNC's finalists would be Ortega and Hoeg but maybe we'll see Ortega and Moreno.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

8meterPA wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:03 pm
seacoaster wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:45 am

I don't know if everyone appreciates just how unbelievable that kind of goal % is....not like she is playing against 2nd tier defenses & goalies. If she keeps it up, that stat may be what leads to the winning the T
Ortega also 4th all time in ACC History in Goals and may hit 3rd or 2nd place by season end.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”