PRO Pot

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
ABV 8.3%

Re: PRO Pot

Post by ABV 8.3% »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:40 pm The House has voted to decriminalize marijuana.

The vote was 228-to-164 and marked the first time either chamber of Congress has voted on the issue of federally decriminalizing cannabis. https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpos ... story.html
Thank goodness Trump is POTUSA , currently. Biden would never sign this legislation.

Pro hoops suspended random pot testing for the upcoming season.
oligarchy thanks you......same as it evah was
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

Here is a free version of the Congressional vote on Pot being illegal. Please stop linking "news" stories that we have to pay to read.

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes/116-2020/h231\
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

The house voted on this. it has nothing to do with the POTUS. many rivers to cross before it gets that far. and, when/if it does, don't be surprised when Biden signs off on it. Cannabis stocks when up dramatically when Biden was made president.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:13 pm The house voted on this. it has nothing to do with the POTUS. many rivers to cross before it gets that far. and, when/if it does, don't be surprised when Biden signs off on it. Cannabis stocks when up dramatically when Biden was made president.
TAATS man surprised by Biden caving to his own principles. You clearly know nothing about AFA POTUSA-elect.

Any
functioning
adult

of course it matters, suddenly, you are correctly placing it on the branch of government that MAKES the laws.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... ze/613777/

He will just stop "home grown".....bau
DMac

Post by DMac »

Ultimately it makes no difference who the Prez is or what the House says, too many involved in the legalization process continue to make decisions from the head up their asz position. Nobody cares and it makes no difference...well, except for the states who continue to let the black market run the business for them and pay no taxes. Beyond idiotic.
https://www.greenentrepreneur.com/article/332807
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

DMac wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:42 pm Ultimately it makes no difference who the Prez is or what the House says, too many involved in the legalization process continue to make decisions from the head up their asz position. Nobody cares and it makes no difference...well, except for the states who continue to let the black market run the business for them and pay no taxes. Beyond idiotic.
https://www.greenentrepreneur.com/article/332807
Do black market pot sellers donate to political campaigns? Heck, I know two state Reps. that made small fortunes from illegal drug sales. New Hampshire is a perfect example of the criminals getting away with it all.

One of my favorite JAMES songs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp2ogCwI-ko
DMac

Post by DMac »

Gotta say, ABV, the way the powers that be have handled the whole marijuana deal in this country ranks up there pretty good on my list of damnedest things I've ever seen. Way back in the days of yore, pretty sure it was '73, I subscribed to NORML and got my magazine however often they shipped 'em out. Yes, while looking for the finest of young men and women to serve in the military and protect our country, your local Navy recruiter was reading all about pot (well, maybe more than just reading). I really thought that it wasn't many years down the road that pot would be legal, five at the most, it really was just a no brainer. Twoscore and seven years later we're still phukin around with it. Our Gov here in NY says it's going to be legalized but they have to figure out how they're going to do it. He said that a long time ago, must be pretty hard to figure it all out, eh? Just SMH, but honestly really couldn't care less. The dope in the drug war remains the Feds and policy makers. Meanwhile, smoke 'em if you've got 'em (and you've got 'em if you want 'em).
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

... looks like dems are going to push for legalization during the Biden administration. Article. Biden will not stand in the way off this. His feelings about the issue have never been strong and have always been driven by political reality. The political reality has clearly changed where a majority of Americans are for legalization. This will cause another problem for the republicans if they oppose it, which they likely will just because that is what they do, their only strategy.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

jhu72 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:31 am ... looks like dems are going to push for legalization during the Biden administration. Article. Biden will not stand in the way off this. His feelings about the issue have never been strong and have always been driven by political reality. The political reality has clearly changed where a majority of Americans are for legalization. This will cause another problem for the republicans if they oppose it, which they likely will just because that is what they do, their only strategy.
Because you can never have too many stoners... :mrgreen:
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Much rather be on the road with a bunch of stoners as opposed to a bunch of drunks... :ugeek:

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
DMac

Post by DMac »

Pretty crazy stuff, eh dis? Only allowed to have X number of ounces (think it's three, could be wrong) and grow only twelve plants (plenty enough). Meanwhile you can go into a liquor store and buy a case of Wild Turkey, a dozen bottles of Crown, seven or eight bottles of Makers Mark, a case of white and a case of red wines, and pick up a keg of beer on the way home too. Too much pot aint gonna kill ya but too much liquor sure as hell will. Yup, I'll go with the stoners too. As I've noted before, I could care less about legalization although it's nice that cops can't use the "I smell marijuana" line anymore...definitely better that it's legal. I've always said that the biggest price you were going to pay when firing up a joint with people around is that you're going to have to share when they catch a whiff...always willing to do that. :mrgreen:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

dislaxxic wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:09 pm Much rather be on the road with a bunch of stoners as opposed to a bunch of drunks... :ugeek:

Stoners prefer brownie breaks and they usually won't throw up in
seat. Having been to my share of Buffalo Bills tailgate parties your analogy is spot on.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

DMac wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:40 pm Pretty crazy stuff, eh dis? Only allowed to have X number of ounces (think it's three, could be wrong) and grow only twelve plants (plenty enough). Meanwhile you can go into a liquor store and buy a case of Wild Turkey, a dozen bottles of Crown, seven or eight bottles of Makers Mark, a case of white and a case of red wines, and pick up a keg of beer on the way home too. Too much pot aint gonna kill ya but too much liquor sure as hell will. Yup, I'll go with the stoners too. As I've noted before, I could care less about legalization although it's nice that cops can't use the "I smell marijuana" line anymore...definitely better that it's legal. I've always said that the biggest price you were going to pay when firing up a joint with people around is that you're going to have to share when they catch a whiff...always willing to do that. :mrgreen:
How do you overcome the munchies? When I was a yute is was pizza.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

DMac wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:40 pm Pretty crazy stuff, eh dis? Only allowed to have X number of ounces (think it's three, could be wrong) and grow only twelve plants (plenty enough). Meanwhile you can go into a liquor store and buy a case of Wild Turkey, a dozen bottles of Crown, seven or eight bottles of Makers Mark, a case of white and a case of red wines, and pick up a keg of beer on the way home too. Too much pot aint gonna kill ya but too much liquor sure as hell will. Yup, I'll go with the stoners too. As I've noted before, I could care less about legalization although it's nice that cops can't use the "I smell marijuana" line anymore...definitely better that it's legal. I've always said that the biggest price you were going to pay when firing up a joint with people around is that you're going to have to share when they catch a whiff...always willing to do that. :mrgreen:
On a serious note I hope all the new stoners to be stay off the road.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Nothing's gonna change.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

DMac wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:02 pm Nothing's gonna change.
I hope not. I do know the weed folks smoke today is way more potent than that ditch weed we smoked as young uns. So I've been told. Never liked the cotton mouth from weed. You wanna talk and there is no saliva left to form words. Then you need a beer and you make things worse.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Positive Marijuana Tests Are Up Among U.S. Workers
Percentage of job seekers, employees shown to be using the drug climbs as legalization expands

Seventeen states have passed marijuana-legalization measures, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.
PHOTO: BRUCE BENNETT/GETTY IMAGES
By Matt Grossman
May 26, 2021 6:00 am ET
SAVE
TEXT
Listen to this article 6 minutes

00:00 / 05:31
1x
This article is in your queue.
Open Queue
The coronavirus pandemic shook up the U.S. employment picture last year, but one trend persisted: a rising share of workers who test positive for marijuana.

The proportion of U.S. workers who tested positive for marijuana in urine climbed higher in 2020 while the overall share of positive drug tests plateaued last year, according to Quest Diagnostics Inc., DGX +1.96% one of the largest drug-testing laboratories in the U.S. About 2.7% of the approximately seven million drug tests Quest conducted on behalf of employers came back positive for marijuana—up from 2.5% in 2019 and 2% in 2016.

On the Rise
The percentage of U.S. workers testing positive for marijuana continues toclimb but has slipped for other drugs.
U.S. workforce drug positivity rate
%
2020: 4.4%
'05
'10
'15
'20
U.S. workforce positivity rates, by category
Source: Quest Diagnostics
*Includes Oxycontin and similar drugs; data only for general U.S. workforce through2018 †Heroin use is indicated by the presence of the 6-acetylmorphine (6-AM)metabolite
%
Marijuana
Oxycodones*
Cocaine
Heroin†
'20
Overall, the percentage of working Americans testing positive for any drug was 4.4%, little changed from 2019, when the rate of positive urine-based drug tests hit its highest level in 16 years. Though federal and state data indicate drug overdoses and abuse have risen during the pandemic, Quest officials say that isn’t captured in their data because many overdose victims likely weren’t subject to workplace drug testing last year.

Drug tests often occur for new-hire candidates, as part of random-testing programs or following an accident or suspicions of drug use.

Positive marijuana tests have climbed among American workers as more states have allowed marijuana for medical and recreational use in recent years. Seventeen states have passed legalization measures, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures—including, most recently, New York, New Jersey, Virginia and Arizona.

Along the way, the shifting legal backdrop and changing cultural attitudes have prompted some employers to stop testing for it while others have quit factoring it into hiring decisions. Some businesses say testing policies promote accountability, although many take a more lenient stance toward marijuana than toward other drugs.

“We haven’t really seen a sea change in the overall testing rate, but we’ve been seeing changes in the degree to which marijuana is included in the testing panels,” said Dr. Barry Sample, Quest’s senior director for science and technology.

The shifting legal backdrop and changing cultural attitudes have prompted some employers to stop testing for marijuana.
PHOTO: EDDIE MOORE/ZUMA PRESS
WHAT’S NEWS
Rise in Marijuana Use Prompts Employers to Adapt

00:00 / 11:25
1x
SUBSCRIBE
Some employers are dropping marijuana testing to more easily recruit workers. Hospitality Ventures Management Group, which operates primarily Marriott- and Hilton-branded hotels in 17 states, used to test job candidates seeking salaried positions for a standard panel of several drugs. While opening a Colorado property in 2015, it stopped screening for marijuana nationwide, making it a more competitive employer, said Susan M. Sanders, the company’s chief human resources officer.

“It was part of the practical nature of wanting to be an attractive employer in that downtown Denver market,” she said. Ideally, marijuana can be “part of what people do when they’re not working that isn’t going to carry over into the workday.” Colorado legalized recreational marijuana in 2012.

‘Drug testing does not make or break your ability to find good people.’
— Taste of Texas restaurant co-owner Edd Hendee
Among hospitality- and restaurant-industry workers who were tested for drugs last year, 6.3% were positive for marijuana—one of the highest rates for any industry, according to the Quest data.

Now, as the hospitality sector emerges from the pandemic, and many restaurants and bars are struggling to fill a surge in open positions, more are easing drug-testing requirements, said Matthew Rodgers, chief executive of the Restaurant Zone LLC, a company that helps restaurants find staff.

“Post-Covid, the supply of candidates in the market is really in stress,” he said. Some candidates, he added, are backing away from job opportunities after being told a prospective employer requires a drug test.

SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS

Do you support the legalization of marijuana? Why or why not? Join the conversation below.

Others have lost job offers because of a positive test. Kellie Ward, 24 years old, said she uses marijuana recreationally at home in Nevada, which legalized recreational use in 2017. Though she was recently offered a job as a barista and bartender at an assisted-living facility across the state line in Utah, she said the offer was rescinded after she failed the marijuana test.

Some business owners say they continue to test for marijuana and other drugs because having the testing policy discourages lying and theft and encourages workplace safety. “Drug testing does not make or break your ability to find good people,” said Edd Hendee, co-owner of the Taste of Texas restaurant in Houston.

Companies in safety-sensitive industries have less flexibility because on-the-job testing is mandated by law. Within the trucking industry, a federal database launched last year also makes it harder for truck drivers—who are subject to U.S. Transportation Department-mandated drug and alcohol testing—to hide past positive tests from prospective employers.

Related Video
Cannabis Industry Faces Obstacles to Banking, but That May Be Changing
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

UP NEXT

0:00 / 5:16
Cannabis companies in the U.S. lack access to banking and other financial services because the drug is federally illegal. That could change through new legislation or thanks to broader legalization efforts backed by the Democratically-controlled Senate. Photo Illustration: Laura Kammermann
While a potential boon to safety, the new database has significantly contributed to a hiring crunch, said Avery Vise, a trucking analyst at FTR Transportation Intelligence. Since its launch, nearly 70,000 truck drivers have been added to the database for positive tests, and the majority of those drivers haven’t completed the steps necessary to return to work, Mr. Vise said.

The greater scrutiny of truck drivers’ drug and alcohol use has hit trucking companies just as the pandemic’s strain on logistics networks has also contributed to a tight labor market in the sector, he said.

Write to Matt Grossman at [email protected]
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 2:29 pm Positive Marijuana Tests Are Up Among U.S. Workers
Percentage of job seekers, employees shown to be using the drug climbs as legalization expands
I'm surprised employees are still drug testing for marijuana.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 4:12 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 2:29 pm Positive Marijuana Tests Are Up Among U.S. Workers
I'm surprised employees are still drug testing for marijuana.
I got a hair test a couple of years ago.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Seventeen states have passed marijuana-legalization measures, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.
PHOTO: BRUCE BENNETT/GETTY IMAGES
By Matt Grossman
May 26, 2021 6:00 am ET
SAVE
TEXT
Listen to this article 6 minutes

00:00 / 05:31
1x
This article is in your queue.
Open Queue
The coronavirus pandemic shook up the U.S. employment picture last year, but one trend persisted: a rising share of workers who test positive for marijuana.

The proportion of U.S. workers who tested positive for marijuana in urine climbed higher in 2020 while the overall share of positive drug tests plateaued last year, according to Quest Diagnostics Inc., DGX +1.96% one of the largest drug-testing laboratories in the U.S. About 2.7% of the approximately seven million drug tests Quest conducted on behalf of employers came back positive for marijuana—up from 2.5% in 2019 and 2% in 2016.

On the Rise
The percentage of U.S. workers testing positive for marijuana continues toclimb but has slipped for other drugs.
U.S. workforce drug positivity rate
%
2020: 4.4%
'05
'10
'15
'20
U.S. workforce positivity rates, by category
Source: Quest Diagnostics
*Includes Oxycontin and similar drugs; data only for general U.S. workforce through2018 †Heroin use is indicated by the presence of the 6-acetylmorphine (6-AM)metabolite
%
Marijuana
Oxycodones*
Cocaine
Heroin†
'20
Overall, the percentage of working Americans testing positive for any drug was 4.4%, little changed from 2019, when the rate of positive urine-based drug tests hit its highest level in 16 years. Though federal and state data indicate drug overdoses and abuse have risen during the pandemic, Quest officials say that isn’t captured in their data because many overdose victims likely weren’t subject to workplace drug testing last year.

Drug tests often occur for new-hire candidates, as part of random-testing programs or following an accident or suspicions of drug use.

Positive marijuana tests have climbed among American workers as more states have allowed marijuana for medical and recreational use in recent years. Seventeen states have passed legalization measures, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures—including, most recently, New York, New Jersey, Virginia and Arizona.

Along the way, the shifting legal backdrop and changing cultural attitudes have prompted some employers to stop testing for it while others have quit factoring it into hiring decisions. Some businesses say testing policies promote accountability, although many take a more lenient stance toward marijuana than toward other drugs.

“We haven’t really seen a sea change in the overall testing rate, but we’ve been seeing changes in the degree to which marijuana is included in the testing panels,” said Dr. Barry Sample, Quest’s senior director for science and technology.

The shifting legal backdrop and changing cultural attitudes have prompted some employers to stop testing for marijuana.
PHOTO: EDDIE MOORE/ZUMA PRESS
WHAT’S NEWS
Rise in Marijuana Use Prompts Employers to Adapt

00:00 / 11:25
1x
SUBSCRIBE
Some employers are dropping marijuana testing to more easily recruit workers. Hospitality Ventures Management Group, which operates primarily Marriott- and Hilton-branded hotels in 17 states, used to test job candidates seeking salaried positions for a standard panel of several drugs. While opening a Colorado property in 2015, it stopped screening for marijuana nationwide, making it a more competitive employer, said Susan M. Sanders, the company’s chief human resources officer.

“It was part of the practical nature of wanting to be an attractive employer in that downtown Denver market,” she said. Ideally, marijuana can be “part of what people do when they’re not working that isn’t going to carry over into the workday.” Colorado legalized recreational marijuana in 2012.

‘Drug testing does not make or break your ability to find good people.’
— Taste of Texas restaurant co-owner Edd Hendee
Among hospitality- and restaurant-industry workers who were tested for drugs last year, 6.3% were positive for marijuana—one of the highest rates for any industry, according to the Quest data.

Now, as the hospitality sector emerges from the pandemic, and many restaurants and bars are struggling to fill a surge in open positions, more are easing drug-testing requirements, said Matthew Rodgers, chief executive of the Restaurant Zone LLC, a company that helps restaurants find staff.

“Post-Covid, the supply of candidates in the market is really in stress,” he said. Some candidates, he added, are backing away from job opportunities after being told a prospective employer requires a drug test.

SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS

Do you support the legalization of marijuana? Why or why not? Join the conversation below.

Others have lost job offers because of a positive test. Kellie Ward, 24 years old, said she uses marijuana recreationally at home in Nevada, which legalized recreational use in 2017. Though she was recently offered a job as a barista and bartender at an assisted-living facility across the state line in Utah, she said the offer was rescinded after she failed the marijuana test.

Some business owners say they continue to test for marijuana and other drugs because having the testing policy discourages lying and theft and encourages workplace safety. “Drug testing does not make or break your ability to find good people,” said Edd Hendee, co-owner of the Taste of Texas restaurant in Houston.

Companies in safety-sensitive industries have less flexibility because on-the-job testing is mandated by law. Within the trucking industry, a federal database launched last year also makes it harder for truck drivers—who are subject to U.S. Transportation Department-mandated drug and alcohol testing—to hide past positive tests from prospective employers.

Related Video
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

UP NEXT

0:00 / 5:16
Cannabis companies in the U.S. lack access to banking and other financial services because the drug is federally illegal. That could change through new legislation or thanks to broader legalization efforts backed by the Democratically-controlled Senate. Photo Illustration: Laura Kammermann
While a potential boon to safety, the new database has significantly contributed to a hiring crunch, said Avery Vise, a trucking analyst at FTR Transportation Intelligence. Since its launch, nearly 70,000 truck drivers have been added to the database for positive tests, and the majority of those drivers haven’t completed the steps necessary to return to work, Mr. Vise said.

The greater scrutiny of truck drivers’ drug and alcohol use has hit trucking companies just as the pandemic’s strain on logistics networks has also contributed to a tight labor market in the sector, he said.

Write to Matt Grossman at [email protected]
"Some business owners say they continue to test for marijuana and other drugs because having the testing policy discourages lying and theft and encourages workplace safety."

W T F? Good luck with that hiring thing. World's a changin' and they better get hip, quick like.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."

Return to “POLITICS”