Delaware 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Henpecked

Re: Delaware 2021

Post by Henpecked »

St. Joseph's cancelled tomorrow's game with UMBC due to Covid protocol in Hawks program.

Hens are scheduled to play St. Joe's Tuesday night. Looks like another cancellation.

This is what we have to get used to seeing. Not too many coaches willing to play a game with just the guys who are healthy. God forbid they lose.

With this many cancellations, what are the odds that the season comes to a conclusion with conference champions and some sort of NCAA tournament?

ugh.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

That’s one game out of 18 this weekend.
The show will go on until it no longer can.

Too bad about the St Joe’s game, that was the LSN
game of the week.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Yes only 1 cancellation this weekend. But more in the coming week for sure. 7 games have been canceled in the last 7 days. When they get into conference play these cancellations will push back games that need to be played to crown a champion. So do conference championships move to mid or late May? When does the NCAA Championship get played? Are those dates flexible?

Will COVID protocol cancellations suddenly not happen during conference play? Will teams be forced to play with only the guys who are eligible during conference play? Or will they try to reschedule down the road?

Lots of questions.

I’m just being realistic. I hope I’m wrong.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

COVID numbers are dropping dramatically and a large percentage of these athletes have already tested positive so they have antibodies. Hopefully that continues, teams can also do what Coach Deluca just did. He took the 25 eligible players to Mt St Mary’s like a man and played a lacrosse game. I Hope other coaches will do the same, these boys just want to play for God’s sake.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

xxxxxxx wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:24 pm COVID numbers are dropping dramatically and a large percentage of these athletes have already tested positive so they have antibodies. Hopefully that continues, teams can also do what Coach Deluca just did. He took the 25 eligible players to Mt St Mary’s like a man and played a lacrosse game. I Hope other coaches will do the same, these boys just want to play for God’s sake.
It’s winter and has been snowing for a good part over the past two weeks which has limited people moving around. Virus hasn’t gone anywhere....yet. Keep your fingers crossed.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

xxxxxxx wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:24 pm COVID numbers are dropping dramatically and a large percentage of these athletes have already tested positive so they have antibodies. Hopefully that continues, teams can also do what Coach Deluca just did. He took the 25 eligible players to Mt St Mary’s like a man and played a lacrosse game. I Hope other coaches will do the same, these boys just want to play for God’s sake.
I know you’re right about the cases continuing to drop. The part about teams “manning up” and just playing the games...well I don’t have a lot of hope for that. Too many of these coaches are hoping for at large bids with the Ivy League out if the picture. A bad loss is a bad loss. Nobody gives a crap what players you were missing on that particular day. But don’t be surprised to see a sub .500 team from the Big 10 or ACC get an at large bid either. There are no bad losses in those conferences evidently. :lol: :lol:
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

I think after coaches realize that any game any week can be cancelled by paranoid Athletic Conferences and University Administrators they will be more willing to play any chance they can. Reality is unless you are in the ACC, B10, and to a lesser degree Big East and Patriot you have to win your conference to get in. It is just reality, so it would make sense to play when you can a try to peak for your conference tourney. It’s a waste of time for CAA, MAAC, SoCon, NEC etc to be thinking about at large bids. It is also the case for 90% of Big East and Patriot. The entire ACC will get bids and 3 or 4 from B10, it’s just reality. So just play, try to stay healthy and improve then take your shot conf tourney time. It’s going to suck when teams with losing records get in but count on it, especially B10 who only play each other. I can hear it now Hopkins deserves a bid at 4-6 because all six losses were to top 20 teams and they had four big wins over Michigan and Rutgers. You heard it here first. Regarding COVID, the insanity has to stop, I can walk in a restaurant, retail store, but I can’t sit in Rutgers stadium that holds 45;000 with 300 people and watch a lacrosse game? At some point people need to stop just agreeing with completely illogical premises and say no. It’s a joke, let people live their lives and do what they feel comfortable with, this used to be a free country.

While I’m on a roll what the Ivy League just did to their “student athletes” is one of the most disgraceful things I have ever seen. They knew months ago they were not playing this Spring but wanted their students to enroll before making the decision public. Completely self serving disgrace, it must be hard being so much smarter that all us peasants without Ivy degrees.

Enjoy whatever games you can, while you can.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Enjoy whatever games you can, while you can.

Well, that might be the only thing we can agree on. But it's something...
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:50 pm Enjoy whatever games you can, while you can.

Well, that might be the only thing we can agree on. But it's something...

Isn't that just shocking, WHETHER YOU AGREE WITH IT OR NOT, does not mean its WRONG. Understand THAT. :roll: :roll: Enjoy lacrosse today.

Joe
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

Henpecked wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:40 pm St. Joseph's cancelled tomorrow's game with UMBC due to Covid protocol in Hawks program.

Hens are scheduled to play St. Joe's Tuesday night. Looks like another cancellation.

This is what we have to get used to seeing. Not too many coaches willing to play a game with just the guys who are healthy. God forbid they lose.

With this many cancellations, what are the odds that the season comes to a conclusion with conference champions and some sort of NCAA tournament?

ugh.
Game was canceled
Tuesday game should be on
Testing protocol issue
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

If the St Joe’s game is in fact canceled for Tuesday night, I hope that DeLuca is working the phones to get a game or two in before their next scheduled match, which is the CAA OPENER in two weeks versus Fairfield. Put out an APB, “UD will play anyone, anytime over the next two weeks. If you’ve got an opponent who can’t play, we’ll be there.”

Not a lot to learn from yesterday’s game vs NJIT. They got a few players back including Sophomore Michael Robinson who went 4g 1a and Reed Kurtz. But Charlie Kitchen, Tye Kurtz and Owen Grant have yet to be cleared to play. If they can’t get replacement games scheduled, the top three players on the team will have no primers before the real season starts in two weeks.

Not sure why Tate Wasson was out yesterday (I could guess) but they handed Reed Kurtz a long pole and put him in at close defense where he completely dominated the top NJIT attackman. He was paired with Kevin McCormick and Kevin Lynch who looked solid for the second straight game. Clay Miller also missed the game (ugh).

Mark Beida again looked really comfortable leading the attack unit from X (3g, 2a). The Canadian freshmen Acchione twins played an impressive game at Midfield and both contributed with sharp play- Cam with 2 goals and Matt adding another. Justin Scott got off a bunch of nice shots and scored his first goal with the Hens.

Not sure who is up next but I’m hoping it’s St. Joe’s and hoping the big 3 are back for the game. We shall see.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Henpecked wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:44 am If the St Joe’s game is in fact canceled for Tuesday night, I hope that DeLuca is working the phones to get a game or two in before their next scheduled match, which is the CAA OPENER in two weeks versus Fairfield. Put out an APB, “UD will play anyone, anytime over the next two weeks. If you’ve got an opponent who can’t play, we’ll be there.”

Not a lot to learn from yesterday’s game vs NJIT. They got a few players back including Sophomore Michael Robinson who went 4g 1a and Reed Kurtz. But Charlie Kitchen, Tye Kurtz and Owen Grant have yet to be cleared to play. If they can’t get replacement games scheduled, the top three players on the team will have no primers before the real season starts in two weeks.

Not sure why Tate Wasson was out yesterday (I could guess) but they handed Reed Kurtz a long pole and put him in at close defense where he completely dominated the top NJIT attackman. He was paired with Kevin McCormick and Kevin Lynch who looked solid for the second straight game. Clay Miller also missed the game (ugh).

Mark Beida again looked really comfortable leading the attack unit from X (3g, 2a). The Canadian freshmen Acchione twins played an impressive game at Midfield and both contributed with sharp play- Cam with 2 goals and Matt adding another. Justin Scott got off a bunch of nice shots and scored his first goal with the Hens.

Not sure who is up next but I’m hoping it’s St. Joe’s and hoping the big 3 are back for the game. We shall see.
Was Scott just off the mark yesterday? I see he’s 1/17 to start the season, consistent with what I shared which is that he starts slow but it’s he’s close you can see the potential. When he’s on he will be like 5/7 or 6/6. Has killed Colgate over the years. But every start of a season it’d be 5/45, 2/26, Etc and then he ends up between .275-.300 shooting in 100-120 shots typically. The feeding developed over time as well. Was a pure scorer as a FR, something like 29,4 but by 2019 when he had developed into a two way middie he was 26,12 and playing solid D.

I think he will still be productive for you, hoped he’d get off to a faster start but have patience I promise in the long run you’ll see a game or two where he’s the difference.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

I wouldn't be worried about Justin Scott. Hens are playing shorthanded on offense and they are relying on him to generate offense. He is pressing a little bit, but getting off quality shots for the most part. A couple of times he has forced the issue, but each time it was with the shot clock winding down.

I think he'll be fine once Kitchen and Kurtz are back on offense. I noticed that Robinson was looking for him throughout the game yesterday. The Canadian players tend to play well together. He will be surrounded by fellow Canadians when the full team is available to play. I can see DeLuca trotting out an a starting lineup with 7 of 10 Canadian starters - Kitchen, Tye Kurtz, Robinson at attack, Scott, Matt Acchione, Cam Acchione at midfield and Reed Kurtz, Owen Grant and Tate Wasson at close defense (Canadians in bold). That would be something. Oh Canada!
Neverplaydown

Post by Neverplaydown »

I am not that familiar with Delaware. It does seam like they play a VERY weak OFC schedule every year.
How many top 20 teams have they played and beat last 5 years
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Neverplaydown wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:49 pm I am not that familiar with Delaware. It does seam like they play a VERY weak OFC schedule every year.
How many top 20 teams have they played and beat last 5 years
Seem, not seam.

Out of Conference doesn’t much matter in the CAA.
Its a one bid conference.

What else you got ?
Neverplaydown

Post by Neverplaydown »

Just answer how many top 20 wins? Any? Every year Out of conference schedule is Weak.
NJIT Please, might as well schedule lower D 3 School
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

In the last few years the top teams out of conf they play are Villanova, Michigan, and John’s Hopkins. This year not as good with both Big 10 teams dropping per Big 10 rules. I think they could add another top team or two but getting on schedules is not easy.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Neverplaydown wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:24 pm Just answer how many top 20 wins? Any? Every year Out of conference schedule is Weak.
Like I said,
it doesn’t matter,

You got anything meaningful to add to an
actual discussion of lacrosse in today’s environment,

looks like I got my answer,
that would be a negative.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Neverplaydown wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:24 pm Just answer how many top 20 wins? Any? Every year Out of conference schedule is Weak.
I love when Towson fans act like they’re not familiar with the Delaware program. I know that it’s sad that you’ve only won one game over the last two seasons and are staring at a four win season this year. Stay positive. Nads can get these guys to average 7 goals a game with some luck, practice and more blow out games when opposing teams empty the bench in the fourth quarter.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Henpecked wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:55 pm
I love when Towson fans act like they’re not familiar with the Delaware program. I know that it’s sad that you’ve only won one game over the last two seasons and are staring at a four win season this year. Stay positive. Nads can get these guys to average 7 goals a game with some luck, practice and more blow out games when opposing teams empty the bench in the fourth quarter.
I blocked that guy.
Not sure he’s really a Towson guy.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”