Old New York City photos

General Chatter
Farfromgeneva

Re: Old New York City photos

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Brooklyn wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:49 am doesn't quite seem like Leo the Lip's autograph:

https://www.ebay.com/b/Leo-Durocher-Ori ... 7112737335
We’ve got all these cert of authenticity that came with everything back in the day. Like the card grading the warranty of it isn’t as valuable as the markets for sports collectibles would indicate but Im comfortable it’s real even if I didn’t get that one personally like I have with hundreds of hall of famer autos over the years.

The ones that doesn’t look like the others to me is the second one that’s $29
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

That is one hobby I would loved to have gotten into. But as I said previously, my other threw away all my cards, some of which would be very pricey today. D@rn - could have made a small fortune with those cards and some of my old comic books!
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Brooklyn wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:31 pm That is one hobby I would loved to have gotten into. But as I said previously, my other threw away all my cards, some of which would be very pricey today. D@rn - could have made a small fortune with those cards and some of my old comic books!
My father and I hunted for people cleaning out their attics/basements in the late 80s early 90s for all the parents of adult kids who left stuff behind for 20-40years. The ones who didnt' use them in their stupid bike spokes to make a "cool" flapping sound. Now that sound is flushing becuase you tore up that 1952 topps Mantle...

Thing is if you aren't going to sell them but hand them down to your son, as I plan to do, they have no value/priceless. Even if the market would throw 6-7 figures on what we've got here. I have to do some valuation work on it for homeowners insurance purposes but otherwise it's not important for me to even know what the market value of them are.

My kids might liquidate the s**t out of them as adults if need or desire, but that's ok. To me I'm giving them something important between my father and I and whatever they do with them is their decision. Hopefully they have more of me for longer.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

^ nice post

Yup, if you kept them in the family then they would be priceless and without commercial value. As for me, since I live alone I wouldn't hand it down to anyone. Liquidating them would certainly provide much needed help in meeting medical bills. But you never know - a few years ago someone gave me a couple of cards featuring Negro League players. I still have them. Knowing myself, I may well have kept the rest of my old cards and comics as well.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:13 am
Brooklyn wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:44 am ^ nice pics

My dad knew Monte Irwin of NY Giants. Monte used to give away pics and autographs of this:

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/d9/d7/d4/d9d7 ... 05cabc.jpg

Liquor store on Pennsylvania Avenue, East New York, Brooklyn. Dunno what ever became of that photo.
May be hard to tell but that left one is Leo Durocher autograph (lower left area, blue sharpie)
This Monte?

Went through some more w son who asked about teams who moved like SF Giants and Brooklyn Dodges (as well as Philadelphia As, etc.) so could do this all day but here's a few more former NY baseball ones:

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

^ great pics

This Monte?

The one and only!

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

If I could go back in time this would be one of my first stops:

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/50/c2/86/50c2 ... 841fcc.jpg

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

This is the way to fight inflation:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/a7/91/da/a791 ... 199ced.jpg

NYC street vendors circa 1900 :)

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

old NYC farm house:

trivia: what's in that land space now?

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

^ what's in that space today?

JFK Airport

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

The 3,000 men who helped construct the 810 ft (246 m) high Chase Manhattan Bank pose for a photo near the end of the constructional work. New York City, USA. August 1964.

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Not a Pic per se, though one in the story of rendering-city evolves always

https://www.bisnow.com/national/news/li ... dium=email

Lou Gehrig’s Birthplace In Manhattan To Become 200K SF Iron Horse Lab

Placeholder
Courtesy of Taconic Partners

The forthcoming Iron Horse Labs project is named after famed ballplayer Lou Gehrig.

Today, Taconic Partners probably considers itself the luckiest developer on the face of the earth.

The New York-based life sciences real estate developer announced a new 200K SF lab project in Upper Manhattan on the site of famed Yankees ballplayer Lou Gehrig’s birthplace. Taconic and its partners on the project, Nuveen Real Estate and Flatiron Equities, can only hope leasing of the new development, expected to complete in 2025, is as steady and reliable as the Hall of Famer, whose consistency earned him the nickname the Iron Horse.

The new research space, dubbed Iron Horse Labs, will be located at 309 East 94th St., near Rockefeller University, Weill Cornell, Mount Sinai, Memorial Sloan Kettering, NYC Health + Hospitals and the Hospital for Special Surgery. The Class A lab space will include special double-height research space and multiple outdoor terraces.

Gehrig, who died from amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, commonly called Lou Gehrig’s disease, in 1941, is an inspirational symbol for biologists and researchers searching for cures to rare diseases. The building, which features triangular sun shades modeled after baseball pennants, will include a refurbished mural pointing out Gehrig’s birthplace.

The project will be designed, built and operated via Taconic’s wholly owned Elevate Research Properties subsidiary, which operates a 1.4M SF lab portfolio. A new Elevate project, the West End Labs near Manhattan’s Lincoln Center, landed a $300M refinancing last month.

Life sciences leasing activity in New York City reached a record high in 2022, according to CBRE, and new investments, including the city’s recent funding of a $20M biotech hub in the Brooklyn Navy Yard, bring the total number of active or in-development incubators to nine.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

katz-deli.jpg
katz-deli.jpg (105.81 KiB) Viewed 463 times
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Paladium Manhattan 1980s

Post by 10stone5 »

CBGB's Deb Harry Dead Boys late 70s

Post by JoeMauer89 »

10stone5 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:53 pm Paladium Manhattan 1980s

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunnel_(N ... nightclub)

FFG,
Any stories from this famed spot? Too young to have partaken...

Joe
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Wow. The Palldium sure has changed. Went there in 1980 on St Patrick's Day to see the Boom Town Rats - with an old pal we used to call Meshuggeneh. The crowd was real loud especially when they played "I Don't Like Mondays". They put on a real high energy show. Strangely, even though they are an Irish group based out of London, they never mentioned the Holiday.

Good times, the likes of which I'll never see again due to old age and changed life circumstances.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:25 pm

FFG,

Joe

Not quite on point except that I remember watching Wendy O Williams and her Plasmatics on the docks nearby. Strange crowd but somehow I fit in. But then, some folks on this forum have accused me of being strange. Heh, heh ~ mebbe they're right. ;)

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/80/89/b5/8089 ... c8ad56.jpg

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:25 pm

FFG,

Joe
No good stories there, slightly before my personal time there. But have been in the Chelsea hotel where Sid vicious did his thing on Nancy.

Can’t find reference to it but the strangest was with this rich German dude I met randomly because a friend was getting it in with his kept girl who took me to a place at called Bruno’s or Bruno Lavalais which was straight out of eyes wide shut in a rowhouse in Manhattan. Was wild mix of rich and shady folks.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”