Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Y’all ever hear of a Pocket Veto?

That contract has an end date to it.

If it expires with no new one, then get the cardboard boxes out.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

shoothi wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:33 pm Good for Dave to send that out to the Hopkins Family.
Yes.
He's continuing to do his job.

I wouldn't read anything more into it than just that.
Mightyjoe

Post by Mightyjoe »

jhu72 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:58 pm This email from Dave P.
-------------------------

Dear Alumni and friends,

Good afternoon. My sincere hope is that this email finds you, your family and those closest to you safe and healthy.

Given the current landscape, I thought it pertinent tp reach out to you and provide you with an update from Hopkins lacrosse.

These are unprecedented times we find ourselves in. With the situation around us being so fluid, what appears to be a good solution to any number of the challenges our country, community, program and university faces, may be great one day and off the table the next. Clearly, there is a much larger concern than that of sports and in particular, lacrosse. Please note, our staff and university are keenly aware of this and have been certain to make sure our players recognize it as well. That said, what we as adults understand, may not resonate as clearly with a 17-23 year old that just lost their season and who's lives were comfortable have now been turned upside down

Let me first provide you with a better understanding of where things are at Johns Hopkins, within our program and nationally. Recently, Johns Hopkins suspended classes due to the outbreak and seriousness of the Corona Virus.Classes will resume remotely (online) this coming Monday. Initially, student athletes were permitted to remain on campus and continue to practice and compete. Last Thursday, after our win over Mount St. Mary's on Tuesday and prior to our contest with Navy on Saturday, we informed the team that Hopkins had made the decision to suspend all athletic activity until they were able to examine and re-evaluate the situation. A date of April 12th was set to determine whether classes would resume and students return to campus. For obvious reason this date is subject to change. Not Long thereafter, and after additional information was available, Hopkins suspended Spring sports until the same date of April 12th. Soon to follow, the BIG decided to suspend all spring contests and following suit, the NCAA came out with the statement that they would not be sponsoring any spring championships. Simply put, ALL Spring seasons were over.

While we completely understand there is a much larger picture and the health and safety of our young people and communities are the priority, it still remains very disappointing for a young man/.woman (as well as all winter and spring athletes) to have their season shut down. These certainly are new challenges we face as universities, communities and as a nation. We will continue to be supportive of the decision that Johns Hopkins makes and follow the directive of those addressing these larger issues.

When and if the students are able to return to campus, and based off of national recommendations and the decisions of the university, we will then react accordingly. In the meantime, we continue to discuss potential future plans, but more importantly, our goal is to stay connected to our young men. We want to make certain that when online classes begin, our men are focused, prepared and able to attack those online sessions with the focus and preparedness they will need to achieve success. The greatest connector they have is each other and our staff. It will remain our priority to stay in close contact with them.

Athletically, we have encouraged our players to safely and to the best of their abilities, stay sharp physically. As things unfold we will guide them as to what they should or should not be doing. We have discussed and will continue to address the many scenarios that could come about and are working with our medical staff, team nutritionist and strength and conditioning coach to best position ourselves once we have more answers.

While the season for everyone was cut short, and not every outcome perfect, we have enjoyed this group. We were blessed to work with them. They have grown in different ways each week. With injuries to important players, inexperience at the defensive end, they made no excuses. They worked hard for us daily and made every attempt to move forward and improve each day. Our team leadership was dedicated and put their peers first. This group worked diligently to be peer led off and on the field and to understand how to handle adversity. They had good chemistry, cared for each other and were aware we need to continue to develop and work to improve as the season unfolded. I am disappointed for them that it their efforts and time was cut short.

While the NCAA has reached some decisions about eligibility and has decided to grant all spring athletes a reprieve , none of us has any idea what that looks like or how the NCAA plans to approach it. There are so many moving parts and challenges. The implications of this decision, from academics and finances to recruiting, team dynamics and rosters are immeasurable at this point. There will be many important discussions to have on an NCAA, Institutional , team and individual level. And again, until all questions are asked and answers, all we can do at this time, is take carte of our young men, consider the potential opportunities and challenges and discuss how we might approach them from a university and programatic standpoint.

As always, Thank you! Your support matters. Our players are keenly aware of it and appreciate those that continue to support Blue Jays Lacrosse. We remain VERY excited about the incoming freshman class and look forward to getting back on Homewood Field when the time is appropriate. In the meantime ,we will work diligently in areas that will help our players and staff develop individually and find new and more creative ways to teach and develop our culture on and off the field in an effort to meet our standard and achieve our goals. Until then, please stay safe and healthy.

Dave Pietramala
Head Coach
Men's Lacrosse
Johns Hopkins University
Did this go to the current player's and player's parents?
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Mightyjoe wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:25 pm Did this go to the current player's and player's parents?
They are not on the addressee line. One would think they received even more personal and hopefully constant communication. I do wonder - a little bit - to whom did this go to? Was this just a Hopkins 100 Club communication? Not a big deal at all because while it's a fairly lengthy e-mail, hits a bunch of the right buttons, supports his narrative and (because of the speculation around his job) has lines that can be picked apart - it provides no information that one didn't know before. I was perhaps the most surprised to see him mention next year's recruiting class with the word "very" in All Caps.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

For what it's worth, I got the email and I am not in the Hopkins 100. I have donated to Blue Jays Unlimited in the past. Not in a few years though.

Petro should be "VERY" excited about the incoming class, assuming he gets to coach them. Top to bottom it is the deepest and most talented group he's had to work with in a long time, IMO.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

With 50 players on the current roster and with 18 players in the freshmen class, the team is going to balloon to 68 players, assuming everyone stays. That's quite a team. I wonder if there will be space in the Cordish Center for all those players. Better knock down some walls in the meeting rooms.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:29 am With 50 players on the current roster and with 18 players in the freshmen class, the team is going to balloon to 68 players, assuming everyone stays. That's quite a team. I wonder if there will be space in the Cordish Center for all those players. Better knock down some walls in the meeting rooms.
Think that’s a question most coaches are asking about their locker rooms
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:29 am assuming everyone stays.
There is 0% chance every senior comes back. Many of these seniors had jobs lined up already. I think roster size is going to be a much bigger issue for the 2022 season (as well as the following two seasons) than it is for next year. Current juniors (next year's seniors) may decide to not even look for jobs because they know they'll have a 5th year left. Same deal for current freshmen and sophomores when it's their turn to graduate. It's much different when you know in advance you will have a 5th year if you want it than it being sprung on you last minute after you've made other plans. It's too late for a lot of the current seniors.

In any case, every team will be faced with the same predicament.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

It's going to be a multiyear issue now. I'd expect that guys who are AA level will largely use the extra year, with I assume a significant minority of them transferring to top 10 type programs. Most/many guys who are starters will also stick around, again with a fair amount of transfers. Guys who don't see the field much will likely leave and get on with their lives.

Probably a similar, though less pronounced, trend with the undergrads as well. The incoming freshman are going to have to play their first three years with a much different talent pool (especially at the AA level) than is historically the case.

Net result is that I'd expect a couple of real juggernauts to emerge next year, especially in the ACC. From a quality standpoint, next year's DI lacrosse will be the best ever.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

nyjay wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:24 am It's going to be a multiyear issue now. I'd expect that guys who are AA level will largely use the extra year, with I assume a significant minority of them transferring to top 10 type programs. Most/many guys who are starters will also stick around, again with a fair amount of transfers. Guys who don't see the field much will likely leave and get on with their lives.

Probably a similar, though less pronounced, trend with the undergrads as well. The incoming freshman are going to have to play their first three years with a much different talent pool (especially at the AA level) than is historically the case.

Net result is that I'd expect a couple of real juggernauts to emerge next year, especially in the ACC. From a quality standpoint, next year's DI lacrosse will be the best ever.
what transfers are possibilities in?

also haven't seen a school quoted more in papers or by leaders than Hop. We sucked at lacrosse this spring, but in our other specialties-medicine, foreign relations, public health, our ppl are killing it right now.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:50 pm
nyjay wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:24 am It's going to be a multiyear issue now. I'd expect that guys who are AA level will largely use the extra year, with I assume a significant minority of them transferring to top 10 type programs. Most/many guys who are starters will also stick around, again with a fair amount of transfers. Guys who don't see the field much will likely leave and get on with their lives.

what transfers are possibilities in?

also haven't seen a school quoted more in papers or by leaders than Hop. We sucked at lacrosse this spring, but in our other specialties-medicine, foreign relations, public health, our ppl are killing it right now.
Well, not everyone. Seema Varma, who is the president's CMS administrator and has a degree from the Bloomberg School, gave a truly disastrous interview on cable news a few days ago. I mean, truly heinous.

Petro has historically not been a huge transfer guy but seeing as we were very much involved in the Gray and Scanlan sweepstakes last offseason, I assume he, or whoever the coach is, would go after some of the big names should they become available. But we're still a long way from that, IMO. I think when the dust settles, there won't be quite as many impactful transfers as people think.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

I wouldn't mind seeing a mass exodus out of the Ivy league myself.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Hard to no how many actually meaningful transfers there will be, but I'd have to imagine there will more transfers than ever before, as a result of the loosened rules and the dislocation caused by the cancellation of the season. And not just seniors. What about juniors caught behind a now returning senior? I mean Shellenbarger redshirted before the season even started. I guess he gets a do over, but the reasons for that redshirt (i.e. Moore, Laviano and Cormier) might not be going anywhere next year.

I don't think there are tons of great goalies out there these days, but that's certainly a position where underclassmen at places with a good starting senior goalie (think SU) might be looking for an exit and opportunity to play.

My guess is that we'll end up with some truly stacked teams (UVa, UNC, Duke, MD, PSU come to mind) as a result of (1) current talent, (2) a couple of freshman contributors, and (3) a couple of significant transfers in (in-state tuition for grad school at the state schools, especially hotbed states like VA, MD and PA), possibly from Ivies (depending on what the Ivy League does with its 5th year policy). I also think some solid contributors will leave those types of schools and end up at places with perhaps slightly less stacked rosters, of which JHU may be one.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Well not even Petro and Hopkins can sustain a roster of 58 let alone 68 - let's see - Hopkins got 25 players on the field against Loyola, 25 against UNC, 24 against Princeton, 27 against Syracuse (goalie got replaced and Petro put in Calnan and Kenneally for a cup of coffee - if the game was close 24 would have probably been the number) and 24 against MSM so maybe I should ratchet up my magic number to 24 instead of 23 but the principle holds - team will implode with 34 players never seeing the field. Hopkins probably had 34 players in total back when I was there. In terms of whether any seniors return to Hopkins that depends on who the coach is. If Petro is back - I could possibly see 4 names on his whiteboard to consider - I am going to assume Concannon has had enough of this and doesn't want to pull a Chris Boland - Williams, Colwell, Smith and maybe Hubler. If its a new regime - I could see a new coach being tantalized by Williams and that's about it. Of course, bringing Williams back if both parties want - means you are putting Grimes on middie for a year - hard to argue with H16 or anybody that thinks Grimes should never leave the field.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Agree. Concannon has to be done with this all. You could probably turn the page entirely pretty easily if you wanted to. But in order: (1) Williams, (2) Colwell, (3) Smith, (4) Hubler.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

If you're social distancing and bored - youtube has almost the entire game of Gonzaga Boys Latin from this year - won by Gonzaga in the last seconds. Grimes - I would say - did not play particularly well and Gonzaga's latest top defender - Michael Bath (Princeton) - won that particular battle. Grimes is huge though - had one goal on a semi fast break. Best player on the field however was Dominic Pietramala - I believe 5 goals maybe and the ones in the 4th quarter are jaw dropping. He's really something. I also noticed, however, that the other twin is not on any Boys Latin roster. Did he go to another school? Sloppy game but very intense.
Mightyjoe

Post by Mightyjoe »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:10 pm Well not even Petro and Hopkins can sustain a roster of 58 let alone 68 - let's see - Hopkins got 25 players on the field against Loyola, 25 against UNC, 24 against Princeton, 27 against Syracuse (goalie got replaced and Petro put in Calnan and Kenneally for a cup of coffee - if the game was close 24 would have probably been the number) and 24 against MSM so maybe I should ratchet up my magic number to 24 instead of 23 but the principle holds - team will implode with 34 players never seeing the field. Hopkins probably had 34 players in total back when I was there. In terms of whether any seniors return to Hopkins that depends on who the coach is. If Petro is back - I could possibly see 4 names on his whiteboard to consider - I am going to assume Concannon has had enough of this and doesn't want to pull a Chris Boland - Williams, Colwell, Smith and maybe Hubler. If its a new regime - I could see a new coach being tantalized by Williams and that's about it. Of course, bringing Williams back if both parties want - means you are putting Grimes on middie for a year - hard to argue with H16 or anybody that thinks Grimes should never leave the field.
Why bring any of them back, including Cole. Oh yeah wait, I forgot....he had break out games against Towson and the mount.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Mightyjoe wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:18 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:10 pm Well not even Petro and Hopkins can sustain a roster of 58 let alone 68 - let's see - Hopkins got 25 players on the field against Loyola, 25 against UNC, 24 against Princeton, 27 against Syracuse (goalie got replaced and Petro put in Calnan and Kenneally for a cup of coffee - if the game was close 24 would have probably been the number) and 24 against MSM so maybe I should ratchet up my magic number to 24 instead of 23 but the principle holds - team will implode with 34 players never seeing the field. Hopkins probably had 34 players in total back when I was there. In terms of whether any seniors return to Hopkins that depends on who the coach is. If Petro is back - I could possibly see 4 names on his whiteboard to consider - I am going to assume Concannon has had enough of this and doesn't want to pull a Chris Boland - Williams, Colwell, Smith and maybe Hubler. If its a new regime - I could see a new coach being tantalized by Williams and that's about it. Of course, bringing Williams back if both parties want - means you are putting Grimes on middie for a year - hard to argue with H16 or anybody that thinks Grimes should never leave the field.
Why bring any of them back, including Cole. Oh yeah wait, I forgot....he had break out games against Towson and the mount.
this is correct. I don't want any of these srs back except in the stands. The results the last 2 years speak for themselves. I wonder how fast the university will move on Petro, the sooner a new staff can get started the better.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

A few of you have had a very bizarre, borderline pathological vendetta against Cole for several years. News flash: Nobody cares who you "want back" on the team. If the coaches took the advice of the guy who said to bench Mabbett when he hadn't touched the field in three games, we'd be 0-6 and would have lost to the Mount by 5. Time to get over it. You've been crying and whining into the void about the same dude for four years.

Which exact offensive personnel return next year should be the very least of your concerns. With or without Cole, we'll be in good shape at that end of the field with a healthy Epstein, Murphy, Angelus, Degnon, Zinn, Baskin, and this freshmen class coming in.

Actual concerns:

1) Two straight years with sub-50% goalie play
2) If Hubler leaves, you're left with...Glassmeyer and Lilly (a converted offensive middie) at SSDM and then a whole bunch of unknowns? They may not be the munchkins of yesteryear, but it's still not exactly a situation that instills confidence
3) A defense that was 61st in the country in efficiency. Not great bob. The D badly needs a #1 cover guy. McManus was forced into the role but ideally he is a #2 or a #3. I think it would be a lot to ask of Scott Smith right off the bat as a freshman but based on what I have seen and heard about the kid, it's within the range of outcomes. He'll instantly be one of the best athletes on the team.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:55 pm A few of you have had a very bizarre, borderline pathological vendetta against Cole for several years. News flash: Nobody cares who you "want back" on the team. If the coaches took the advice of the guy who said to bench Mabbett when he hadn't touched the field in three games, we'd be 0-6 and would have lost to the Mount by 5. Time to get over it. You've been crying and whining into the void about the same dude for four years.

Which exact offensive personnel return next year should be the very least of your concerns. With or without Cole, we'll be in good shape at that end of the field with a healthy Epstein, Murphy, Angelus, Degnon, Zinn, Baskin, and this freshmen class coming in.

Actual concerns:

1) Two straight years with sub-50% goalie play
2) If Hubler leaves, you're left with...Glassmeyer and Lilly (a converted offensive middie) at SSDM and then a whole bunch of unknowns? They may not be the munchkins of yesteryear, but it's still not exactly a situation that instills confidence
3) A defense that was 61st in the country in efficiency. Not great bob. The D badly needs a #1 cover guy. McManus was forced into the role but ideally he is a #2 or a #3. I think it would be a lot to ask of Scott Smith right off the bat as a freshman but based on what I have seen and heard about the kid, it's within the range of outcomes. He'll instantly be one of the best athletes on the team.
I have no way of knowing if Scott Smith is the guy, but someone stepping in immediately as a true #1 defender is the likeliest of scenarios. Or we're in trouble, or we play zone. A true #1 defender requires a skillset (footwork, aggression, positional awareness) that either you have or you don't. It's very difficult to grow or develop a guy into that position without the inherent skillset.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”