D1 Mens Lacrosse
HGK25

Re: Georgetown 2020

Post by HGK25 »

rolldodge
Report Quote
Unread post Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:28 pm

So, 2-0 with a couple of impressive wins against less than impressive competition.

What are the general impressions of the team so far?

I'm liking what I'm seeing in a few areas that have been weaker in the past:
Defense looks strong. Big, aggressive, poised.
Face-offs look much improved
LSM: Mazzone taking to the move well
Other positives:
Solid goaltending
Aggressive and successful on ground balls
Good production from attack
Assisted goals
Things that will need improvement:
Going to need more offensive input from the midfield --- although they are young there and should improve as the season progresses

Two things i would say - UMBC may not be Penn State or UVA but that is a very good team. Won AE last year and returned top 4 scorers. I will bet they have a very good year and this win looks a lot better for Hoyas down the road. Midfield production, totally agree is key for this team to make real noise this year. Bundy, number 1 ranked midfielder in freshman class has not played yet. His return will be a big addition to that midfield production. Smith back this week was great to see and this is a stifling D unit. As he gets healthier, look for him back on face off wing. That should help Reilly’s success at the X continue/improve further. Fairfield, Mount and Towson up next. Then down to Chapel Hill. Should be an interesting few weeks for a relatively young Hoya team.

Let’s go Hoyas!
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

Lethargic 1st half vs Stags yesterday. 2nd half different story as Hoyas scored 10 3rd quarter goals and play at both ends was much crisper. Bundy played his first game of the season and it was crystal clear right away what a difference maker he will be for this team. Another positive was the continued success at face off X and fact that we have two legit options at the position to go to based on matchup styles. This team plays really hard, is unselfish on offense and has a strong defense that has room to get a lot better as season goes on. Mount up next on Tuesday. Always a tough game and would expect nothing different.

Also, kudos to Baxter and job he is doing at Fairfield. The difference in how that team played vs last year was stark. He has the Stags going in a great direction.

Let’s go Hoyas!
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

HGK25 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:01 pm Lethargic 1st half vs Stags yesterday. 2nd half different story as Hoyas scored 10 3rd quarter goals and play at both ends was much crisper.
Fairfield has a pretty strong offense and had been able to put some goals on the board -- I think they surprised the D a little. Glad they were able to make adjustments in the second half. Will need to be tighter from the start as the competition heats up.
HGK25 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:01 pm Bundy played his first game of the season and it was crystal clear right away what a difference maker he will be for this team.
Agree, he looked very impressive, particularly that look to the backside for a Watson dunk.
HGK25 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:01 pm Another positive was the continued success at face off X and fact that we have two legit options at the position to go to based on matchup styles.
Yes, was a big part of the difference between first and second half.
HGK25 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:01 pmThis team plays really hard, is unselfish on offense and has a strong defense that has room to get a lot better as season goes on.
Agree, cautiously optimistic, but it looks like the pieces are there.
HGK25 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:01 pmMount up next on Tuesday. Always a tough game and would expect nothing different.
Tuesday trap game against a good Mt. St. Mary's team. Will have to come out strong.

Let’s go Hoyas!
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

rolldodge wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:15 pm
HGK25 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:01 pm Lethargic 1st half vs Stags yesterday. 2nd half different story as Hoyas scored 10 3rd quarter goals and play at both ends was much crisper.
Fairfield has a pretty strong offense and had been able to put some goals on the board -- I think they surprised the D a little. Glad they were able to make adjustments in the second half. Will need to be tighter from the start as the competition heats up.
HGK25 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:01 pm Bundy played his first game of the season and it was crystal clear right away what a difference maker he will be for this team.
Agree, he looked very impressive, particularly that look to the backside for a Watson dunk.
HGK25 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:01 pm Another positive was the continued success at face off X and fact that we have two legit options at the position to go to based on matchup styles.
Yes, was a big part of the difference between first and second half.
HGK25 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:01 pmThis team plays really hard, is unselfish on offense and has a strong defense that has room to get a lot better as season goes on.
Agree, cautiously optimistic, but it looks like the pieces are there.
HGK25 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:01 pmMount up next on Tuesday. Always a tough game and would expect nothing different.
Tuesday trap game against a good Mt. St. Mary's team. Will have to come out strong.

Let’s go Hoyas!
Bundy looked great and he upgrades the entire offensive midfield.

And yes it is great to have quality depth at the faceoff.

My only concern would experience and depth in the defensive middies. GU has been very strong here the past few years and hopefully this area will be solid with more experience.
RustyGate

Post by RustyGate »

It will be interesting to see how good this Hoya team really is come Saturday.

They've done a great job thus far handling opponents they should handle - and in convincing fashion. I believe its harder to do this than people think.

Now - we get to a game where the defense will be really tested as well as McElroy. The dominance at the faceoff X will be much harder. Can the offense put up the goals needed against higher caliber defenders? Penalties - both man-up units are incredibly efficient - who can stay out of the box? Gibson Smith on Chris Gray?

I'd love to see this get popped onto some TV coverage at the last minute. I guess it's just an online stream at this point?
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

Agree with all Rusty Gate. Hoyas have held serve in 6 straight. Maybe not murderers row but any team can get tripped up as we have seen once again this year. So far Hoyas have taken care of business. Now they jump off the porch to run with one of the 2020 big dogs. Gray is an incredible player. Gibby Smith is a tremendous defender but in many cases even stronger off ball in doubling, transition etc. Would not be surprised to see freshman Donaldson draw Gray a good amount of the time. The kid is phenomenal on ball and gets one of the greatest compliments a D man can get - you don’t hear his name that much because he just does his job incredibly well. Carolina Keeper is tremendous and McElroy has been that so far for Hoyas. That will be key along with the Fogo battle as you mention. Should be a great test for the Hoyas as they enter into the meat of the schedule.

Let’s go Hoyas!
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Have to cut back on turnovers. Don’t want to give it back to a team like UNC. Average number is to high for top10 ranked team. Watson the Canadian looks good, he just has to have a more composure when he has possession. With his stick talent, shot selection could be better. Up the middle F/O’s & goaltending look solid.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Mr3Putt wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:25 am Have to cut back on turnovers. Don’t want to give it back to a team like UNC. Average number is to high for top10 ranked team. Watson the Canadian looks good, he just has to have a more composure when he has possession. With his stick talent, shot selection could be better. Up the middle F/O’s & goaltending look solid.
I agree its their weakest aspect statistically, although not terrible. However, also need to consider where those turnovers are happening. Looking at their clearing, they have the best percentage in D1 (UNC is 27). So, this points to the turnovers happening in the offensive end, which may be the result of aggressive fast-paced offense. With the caveat that you'd always like to have less turnovers, having a few more turnovers per game may be a reasonable tradeoff to play a certain style of lacrosse.

Going to be a very interesting game between two teams that are very similar on paper.
laxguywm

Post by laxguywm »

IMHO you play your AA best Defensemen on their AA Best attackman and let everything else take care of itself . No need to complicate things or reinvent the wheel . Should be a good game - hope both teams come to play !!
Comeonman

Post by Comeonman »

So sorry this ended the way it did. Carolina was going to be a defining moment. Win, the team becomes Top 5, perhaps. I believe they would have won this game. Cliffhanger, yes, but we’ll never know. Would have been best offense vs best defense. I think the D would have won. Hopefully they schedule it for next year.
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

Looks like NCAA will give seniors another year. How scholarship money etc works not sure but certainly a good development to a sad situation
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

The NCAA Council Coordination Committee has "agreed to grant relief for the use of a season of competition for student-athletes who have participated in spring sports," Stadium college basketball reporter Jeff Goodman tweeted Friday afternoon.

Ten minutes later, The Athletic's Nicole Auerbach tweeted, "Per source, NCAA sent a note to membership today saying it believes 'it will be appropriate to grant relief for the use of a season for competition for student-athletes who have participated in spring sports.'"
Nassaufan

Post by Nassaufan »

I did not follow Georgetown closely this year, but your goalie, Owen McElroy, was one his way to an AA season, leading D1 in both goals against average (6.21) and save percentage (.630). Way to go!
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

If Carraway’s Instagram is saying what it looks like it is, Hoyas will have #19 back next year.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

HGK25 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:14 pm If Carraway’s Instagram is saying what it looks like it is, Hoyas will have #19 back next year.
Good for him! You can only be a college lacrosse player once. Best of luck.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Nassaufan wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:30 pm I did not follow Georgetown closely this year, but your goalie, Owen McElroy, was one his way to an AA season, leading D1 in both goals against average (6.21) and save percentage (.630). Way to go!
No wonder Brandau left
Tdemling6

Post by Tdemling6 »

Jake Carraway has announced that he will be coming back for an extra year.

https://lacrossebucket.com/2020/04/01/j ... -lacrosse/
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

Within Jackson Morill in transfer portal due to Ivy League rules, anyone have a thought on Hoyas chances of possibly landing him. His Brother Zeke played for the Hoyas. Realize a lot of family history at Hopkins and many other schools will be trying to sign him but Would be an incredible addition if Hoyas were to get him to come to the Hilltop.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”