Yale
8%
Other
15%

Total votes: 97

thetruth

Re: Transfer Poll - Chris Gray

Post by thetruth »

wahoomurf wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:23 pm It's obvious that the season is OVER! An "auctioneers" poll for a transfer is as good a way to spend time until Fall Ball rolls around. ;)

This young man must have blossomed once he arrived at BU.I've watched SWR play my local HS 7 years in a row. SWR is one of the 5 OCC allotments granted by the NYSPHAA.The closest SWR came to beating the locals was in Coach Rotanz's son's senior season.He was a terrific player but couldn't earn his team a victory.

Perhaps Mr.Gray's family moved to SWR after he graduated from a different H.S. school? I never saw a possible "difference maker" playing for SWR since Rotanz.

This year,another highly touted SWR attackman,heading to the ACC scored 124 pts. (62 Gs&62-As).Our local yokels beat SWR 12-5.

I wish Gray godspeed,personal fulfillment and happiness at whichever college he chooses to attend.As i do any other player who's seeks greener pastures.
Murph, I do not know Chris but I saw him play when he was in HS. He committed to BU early in his sophomore year and had an absolute monster season as a junior and, from what I understand, received offers the following summer from multiple major programs (including in the ACC) to flip from BU. Instead, he stuck with BU and coach Polley. Following another stellar year as a senior he was named an Under Armour All American and considered one of the top recruits in the country. So he blossomed well before BU and was very much a known commodity.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Julie Bowen (Claire Dunphy)- BRUNO.Lest we forget the adored and adorable Laura Ingraham attended DARTMOUTH.She went to UVA Law School.But please don't spread that around
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

VERITAS:Murph, I do not know Chris but I saw him play when he was in HS. He committed to BU early in his sophomore year and had an absolute monster season as a junior and, from what I understand, received offers the following summer from multiple major programs (including in the ACC) to flip from BU. Instead, he stuck with BU and coach Polley. Following another stellar year as a senior he was named an Under Armour All American and considered one of the top recruits in the country. So he blossomed well before BU and was very much a known commodity.
I'll take your word for it.I must have him play as well.Perhaps he was injured the last 3 times I watched him.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:52 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:23 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:43 pm
pcowlax wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:14 am Jennifer Connelly went to Yale (along with Jodie Foster, Meryl Streep and many others). I’ll take her and Portman over Ms. Granger any day
Hopkins can offer Hallie Jackson (NBC News and MSNBC).

Hubba hubba.

DocBarrister ;)
So the list is: herminie (Brown), Jennifer Connolly (yale) and Natalie Portman (Harvard), and you’re throwing up Hallie Jackson? Good luck.
Ok ... don’t make me pull out Gertrude Stein. Consider that a shot across the bow. :o

DocBarrister (pulling out the big guns) 8-)
I’ll see your Gertrude stiein and raise you the first female to receive a medical degree!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Blackwell
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
thetruth

Post by thetruth »

wahoomurf wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:52 pm I'll take your word for it.I must have him play as well.Perhaps he was injured the last 3 times I watched him.
Murph, no need to take my word for it. He was the 2017 Ray Enners Award winner given to the Suffolk County Player of the Year. Some pretty big names on that list. He also led Long Island in points in 2016 and 2017. Was also named 1st Team Long Island in 2016 and 2017, and was the #8 ranked recruit in the country in 2017 by Inside Lacrosse.
Muleski

Post by Muleski »

As it's been explained to me, one of the "great" things about Chris Gray is that he did honor has commitment to B.U. and to Coach Polley, as the player that he had grown to become by his junior H.S. season was a lot different than the one that Polley had recruited the year{s} before. He had everybody trying to poach him.

I have also heard a few times that when Polley offered him a slot {and I have no idea what for a scholarship at that point}, he was about 5'6" and 135 lbs. Chances are pretty strong that if he were 5'10" and 185 lbs, he would have been right at the top of every coach's list during that junior season, and higher up on many of them before. Likely would have been an ACC, BIG and top Ivy recruit then.

He's proved that his size is just fine. I'm sure that there has been a feeding frenzy on this one, but I believe that he has it contained at his end, with his family's help. So it's pretty rifled and focused. Or so I hear. Three or four people removed.

Could he end up at Harvard with coach Polley? I assume that might be a possibility. A long shot, IMO. Polley would have to be at the very top of the list, feeling that he had some leverage, and that he could "demand" that Gray be admitted as part of the deal. I just don't see Bob Scalise, the Harvard AD, playing it that way. Polley, BTW might be on the list, but I suspect that he is not at the top. I've been wrong plenty of times before........

Polley has a pretty nice deal going at B.U., as well.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

thetruth wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:26 pm
wahoomurf wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:52 pm I'll take your word for it.I must have him play as well.Perhaps he was injured the last 3 times I watched him.
Murph, no need to take my word for it. He was the 2017 Ray Enners Award winner given to the Suffolk County Player of the Year. Some pretty big names on that list. He also led Long Island in points in 2016 and 2017. Was also named 1st Team Long Island in 2016 and 2017, and was the #8 ranked recruit in the country in 2017 by Inside Lacrosse.
Good for him.I'm sure his INDIVIDUAL awards were well-deserved.Perhaps you're taking unnecessary umbrage to my OBSERVATION. I watched him play,as I've stated in previous posts,3 times.Surely the folks that felt he was worthy of those accolades watched him play more than 3 times.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

The IL article cites "academic ambitions". This sounds like Harvard, Yale or Brown if his dad is an alum. I'll speculate Yale.
RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

Gray has definitely proven himself this year at the top level and in a very competitive league (Patriot). I will admit I'm a bit stumped, Yale and Brown both have relatively young (and returning attacks) so not in desperate need... meaning Gray would be an asset to pretty much any teams attack lineup, but you need to weigh the benefit vs. admissions ask vs. others admissions needs, etc.. So Harvard would again come up as a favorite. With that said I haven't voted in the Poll yet, need to do some more research! Good luck to Gray wherever he ends up.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

RumorMill wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:05 pm Gray has definitely proven himself this year at the top level and in a very competitive league (Patriot). I will admit I'm a bit stumped, Yale and Brown both have relatively young (and returning attacks) so not in desperate need... meaning Gray would be an asset to pretty much any teams attack lineup, but you need to weigh the benefit vs. admissions ask vs. others admissions needs, etc.. So Harvard would again come up as a favorite. With that said I haven't voted in the Poll yet, need to do some more research! Good luck to Gray wherever he ends up.
I thought the Yale transfer application was due March 1st?
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

RumorMill wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:05 pm Gray has definitely proven himself this year at the top level and in a very competitive league (Patriot). I will admit I'm a bit stumped, Yale and Brown both have relatively young (and returning attacks) so not in desperate need... meaning Gray would be an asset to pretty much any teams attack lineup, but you need to weigh the benefit vs. admissions ask vs. others admissions needs, etc.. So Harvard would again come up as a favorite. With that said I haven't voted in the Poll yet, need to do some more research! Good luck to Gray wherever he ends up.
Imagine Brandau running through the box and playing up top with Gray playing at X. Positions don't matter as much as they used to. Get your best 6 on the field. Yale's midfield had a tough time running past UVA SSDMs. Brandau wouldn't have that problem. It's like Maryland with Bernhardt and Fairman changing spots from up top and below. With Yale, you'd get Gaudet in the crease with feeders all around plus 2 dodgers in Gray and Brandau. Scary offense when paired with Ierlan hogging possession.

I think Gray ends up at Penn, though. Replace Mathias as your QB/do it all from X.
laxpere

Post by laxpere »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:08 pm
I thought the Yale transfer application was due March 1st?
Most likely, normal admissions/transfer deadlines are irrelevant in a situation like this one. TD announced that he was going to transfer from Albany in early June 2018 and decided to go to Yale by the end of June 2018, or well past the dealine. As long as there isn't a huge red flag in his academic profile, which seems unlikely, Gray should be admitted expeditiously to whichever school he chooses to transfer. Not sure about the business school angle, but that admissions process might also be expedited.

Gray seems to be in the driver seat because he has worked hard and played well over the his first two seasons.As said, he is a proven talent with a strong track record. There should be little doubt that almost every lacrosse coach out there, including Shay and Daly, are likely to bend over backwards to make room for a player of Gray's caliber, especially since he seems to be more than a scorer. He's likely to be a first team All-American candidate and a serious candidate for the Tewaaraton Award, certainly on the initial watch list.

I am more stumped about how Brown is as high in the poll as it is. And stumped about what other schools many think might be in the mix.
Last edited by laxpere on Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
“The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.” Vince Lombardi
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are...." John Wooden
DALaxDad

Post by DALaxDad »

If a Brown is getting any love, it’s their youth this past season and improvement from start to finish.
thetruth

Post by thetruth »

DALaxDad wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:26 pm If a Brown is getting any love, it’s their youth this past season and improvement from start to finish.
I also think the fit with the Brown program may be better than anywhere else. He’d come in as the undisputed alpha attackman QB and his game would thrive in Daly’s system. So he’d not only put up big numbers but he’d probably have a greater impact on the team than anywhere else. Had Gray been on Brown this past season they may have won the ILT. From an academic standpoint all of these schools are great but I doubt the undergrad business programs will be an option at any of them unless he is an exceptional student. Those programs have no spots for athletes and admission is strictly based on academic qualifications.
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

thetruth wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:51 pm Those programs have no spots for athletes and admission is strictly based on academic qualifications.
Please expound.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

thetruth wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:51 pm
DALaxDad wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:26 pm If a Brown is getting any love, it’s their youth this past season and improvement from start to finish.
I also think the fit with the Brown program may be better than anywhere else. He’d come in as the undisputed alpha attackman QB and his game would thrive in Daly’s system. So he’d not only put up big numbers but he’d probably have a greater impact on the team than anywhere else. Had Gray been on Brown this past season they may have won the ILT. From an academic standpoint all of these schools are great but I doubt the undergrad business programs will be an option at any of them unless he is an exceptional student.

Those programs have no spots for athletes and admission is strictly based on academic qualifications.
SIMON
MATHIAS
Enrolled in the Wharton School of Business.
Joseph Sessa
Major: Economics
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot !

There are times when these thread really go off the deep end.
LRoggy

Post by LRoggy »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:23 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:52 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:23 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:43 pm
pcowlax wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:14 am Jennifer Connelly went to Yale (along with Jodie Foster, Meryl Streep and many others). I’ll take her and Portman over Ms. Granger any day
Hopkins can offer Hallie Jackson (NBC News and MSNBC).

Hubba hubba.

DocBarrister ;)
So the list is: herminie (Brown), Jennifer Connolly (yale) and Natalie Portman (Harvard), and you’re throwing up Hallie Jackson? Good luck.
Ok ... don’t make me pull out Gertrude Stein. Consider that a shot across the bow. :o

DocBarrister (pulling out the big guns) 8-)
I’ll see your Gertrude stiein and raise you the first female to receive a medical degree!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Blackwell
Not like the good old days of Keuka to bed, Wells to wed and William Smith for conversation?

We've come a long way baby!
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Time was when Bart Men could be seen headed up to IC as well.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

wahoomurf wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:49 pm Julie Bowen (Claire Dunphy)- BRUNO.Lest we forget the adored and adorable Laura Ingraham attended DARTMOUTH.She went to UVA Law School.But please don't spread that around

I have it on good authority, Murph, that Julie Bowen is a true Baltimore prep-school gal without the Bobby Shriver Bawlmer accent.
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

10stone5 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:46 am
thetruth wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:51 pm
I also think the fit with the Brown program may be better than anywhere else. He’d come in as the undisputed alpha attackman QB and his game would thrive in Daly’s system. So he’d not only put up big numbers but he’d probably have a greater impact on the team than anywhere else. Had Gray been on Brown this past season they may have won the ILT. From an academic standpoint all of these schools are great but I doubt the undergrad business programs will be an option at any of them unless he is an exceptional student.

Those programs have no spots for athletes and admission is strictly based on academic qualifications.
SIMON
MATHIAS
Enrolled in the Wharton School of Business.
Joseph Sessa
Major: Economics
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot !

There are times when these thread really go off the deep end.
The Wharton degree is one of the things that differentiates Penn in recruiting student athletes. Yes, you have to be a qualified student. But with a 6-7% acceptance rate, MANY qualified students are not admitted. The coaches get slots they can fill with qualified students.

This is also an advantage the other Ivies have in recruiting, whether its Wharton for business, or Econ a Harvard, Yale, Princeton...these are the most direct roads to Wall St and jobs that these players seem to want. Other schools think they have some connections there, and perhaps they do, but they can not match the placement of these schools for Wall St jobs and what is thought to be the best college degrees. The Ivy schools have finally figured out how to "sell" the "40 year trade" and are getting the best players from a socioeconomic group that understand the long term value.

We could list tons of these top high school players over the last 4 years or so who have made that choice. And its gonna keep happening at an accelerated pace. Especially as the Yales and Penn and Cornells and Browns continue to play deeper into the tournament...Harvard has the players, they just need to get them focused and better organized.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”