Ivy League

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Laxman23

Re: Ivy League 2020

Post by Laxman23 »

That is true. One can also recall Alabama coach keeping his QB in this year in a game that was well out of reach and he suffered a fracture dislocation of his hip and I believe a likely career altering injury.

Regarding Princeton and Sowers I was thinking more along the line of Sportsmanship. I have seen starters still in games when the outcome has been determined.

Perhaps coach was thinking of UVA, short week, and rest?

Maybe sportsmanship figures in a little bit when a particular player was so dominant?
calourie

Post by calourie »

Ivy foes this weekend: Towson, Bryant, Virginia, Penn State, Duke, UMass, Stony Brook, High Point

Nice quality list of opponents that will likely provide a good early indicator of just how strong and deep the league might be this year.
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

Best to all the Ivies this weekend. All the games are important as we build the Ivy League resume for selection Sunday.....
CU88

Post by CU88 »

RedIvy wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:16 am Best to all the Ivies this weekend. All the games are important as we build the Ivy League resume for selection Sunday.....
+1

I am afraid that Cornells scheduling of Towson and High Point will be held against them come Selection Sunday...
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

CU88 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:51 am
RedIvy wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:16 am Best to all the Ivies this weekend. All the games are important as we build the Ivy League resume for selection Sunday.....
+1

I am afraid that Cornells scheduling of Towson and High Point will be held against them come Selection Sunday...
Towson's made the tourney what, 4 of the last 5 years, including a trip to championship weekend? Hard to imagine that would be seen as a weak scheduling move. Then again, I'm sure the committee will find a way to hold it against us vis-a-vis Hopkins if we don't get the AQ.
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

While I don’t disagree, the only thing we can do is win the games we have on our schedule, and win against unranked teams convincingly like we did at Albany..... I think a single quarter cost us the bid to the NCAA’s last year.... (4th quarter of Penn game).

One game at a time with a big picture in the background.
check sticks

Post by check sticks »

calourie wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:23 pm Nice quality list of opponents that will likely provide a good early indicator of just how strong and deep the league might be this year.
Ivy foes this weekend:
Towson- Defeated
Bryant- Defeated
Virginia- Defeated
Penn State- Defeated
Duke- Defeated
UMass- Defeated
Stony Brook- :|
High Point- TBD

Ivy league with solid performance
Sting The Corner

Post by Sting The Corner »

Strong case for best league in the land!
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

"Solid" is an understatement. I'm especially impressed by Princeton's 16-12 win at UVa. Nice bounce-back win by Penn. Let's see if Cornell can put the icing on the cake with a Sunday win. It's early days, but it looks like Ivy conference play will be a true gauntlet; could be the first time in years that the regular-season champ enters the ILT with a conference loss.
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

Then the Ivy becomes the 4 bid league replacing the ACC??? Much more season to go but great start for the Ivy League. Big Red needs to take care of things tomorrow.
LordRaider

Post by LordRaider »

Big week for the Ivy League- starting later but coming in hot. Some huge wins:

Yale over Penn State 12-10
Princeton over Virginia 16-12
Penn over Duke 14-11
Harvard over UMass 10-8
Cornell over Towson 17-10
Dartmouth wins! Over Bryant 11-8
Brown...close loss to Stony Brook 11-10
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

LordRaider wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:31 pm Big week for the Ivy League- starting later but coming in hot. Some huge wins:

Yale over Penn State 12-10
Princeton over Virginia 16-12
Penn over Duke 14-11
Harvard over UMass 10-8
Cornell over Towson 17-10
Dartmouth wins! Over Bryant 11-8
Brown...close loss to Stony Brook 11-10
According to IL predictions, only Brown, Cornell and Penn were favored (and Penn only narrowly).
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

And finally, Cornell takes down High Point 21-11, making it seven wins out of eight over the Fri-Sun weekend. Early days, only February, I know... The only team that didn't win this weekend (Brown), has Providence next Saturday, followed by UVa the following Saturday.
Although Dartmouth appears to have improved, I dare say that getting a conference win will be anything but easy this year...
GO IVIES!
molo

Post by molo »

Clearly the best conference so far this year. I haven't done my poll yet, but Yale will be number one with Princeton and Cornell high. Penn, who may be better than Princeton and Cornell, won't be far behind. If the defending NC were in the Ivy League, they would be on the bubble to make the Ivy tournament. Both Yale and Princeton looked physically superior to their opponents, both of whom have seen time in several polls at number one. Cornell cruised over teams clearly not at their level. I didn't see Penn-Duke, but any team that beat Duke after almost beating Maryland in CP had my respect. Now UVA-Brown has me concerned.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

The IVY LEAGUE is a combined 13-2 so far this year. The ENTIRE LEAGUE has just 2 losses, with one being by 2 to Maryland (Penn), and by 1 goal (Brown). 3 weeks into a season an ENTIRE league has 2 losses. I dont know if thats precedent setting, but that is simply amazing when you think of teams such as Duke and JHU already having 2 losses by themselves.

AND, they have taken down the #1 Team, and the #2 teams in the country.

People may be hesitant to say it but I will. THE IVY LEAGUE is clearly the best conference, and with clearly the best player, in Micheal Sowers.

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Pretty tough to argue with your point about the Ivy being the best conference, JoeWillie. Typically, the Ivies are slow out of the gate because of rules against formal, coach-supervised practices before February. If Ivy teams improve during this season as much as they have in recent seasons, then watch out! GO IVIES!
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

It’s only February so we probably need to slow our roll a bit, but it is still fun to discuss. You could easily argue that there should be four Ivy League teams in the top 10 this week.
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

IVYs still underrated... BIG Ten now grossly overrated -
...sure IL n QK types are a little bias, but mostly because they are convinced,
Big 10 and Perpetuating Lax so-called Royalty
Programs like JH, will help rope in, more Lax viewership...

Not so sure...
Wouldn’t it be cool it they (IL commentators) called out the up n comers,
Vs clinging on so hard, and propping up programs w antiquated reputations??
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

ctbagataway wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:41 pm It’s only February so we probably need to slow our roll a bit, but it is still fun to discuss...
Yes, of course, you are right, it's only February. Cornell has yet to play OSU, Penn State and Syracuse; and there's Princeton v JHU, Penn v Penn State, Brown v UVa, etc. Fun to discuss, and it should be fun to watch.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Quint K, whose rankings, while often overly candid, are always insightful, have an interesting Ivy ranking this morning:

1: Yale
5: Princeton
7. Cornell
9. Penn

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”