All Things Environment

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
FannOLax

Re: All Things Environment

Post by FannOLax »

Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:10 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:25 pm So what’s the plan? Ban fossil fuels?
Only part of the "plan" is to replace carbon with other energy sources.
Need carbon capture too.

Right?
Yep … will need to ban the sale of new vehicles with internal combustion engines within a couple of decades. Will also need to replace and shut down all fossil fuel burning power plants within the next 20 years.

With megadroughts in the West likely to be the new norm, we will have to markedly increase water conservation and recycling efforts.

California alone will likely require dozens of new desalination plants to provide a drought-proof source of freshwater. All of those plants will need to be powered by renewable energy sources.

All household appliances currently using fossil fuels (namely, dryers, stoves, and ovens) will need to be electric. We will need to ban all natural gas versions of appliances within 20 years.

We are, basically, about 20 years behind where we need to be.

Republicans and their fossil fuel allies have pretty much tried to kill hundreds of millions of people around the world with their resistance to human-caused climate change mitigation efforts. It is, arguably, the greatest act of genocide in human history, taking place over decades … dwarfing in scale (although not in moral depravity) the crimes against humanity perpetrated by the tobacco industry and despotic regimes around the world in the 20th century.

So, yeah … ban fossil fuels.

DocBarrister :|
@DocBarrister
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

FannOLax wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:38 pm Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake?
8-) great pivot!

For the less literary, I was referring to the background twist proffered so well in the Hulu series of The Handmaid's Tale of plummeting fertility 'justifying' the creation of Gilead, including subjugation of fertile women (as if the issue was solely a matter of women's fertility)...

IMO, a really extraordinary acting tour de force in this recent version on Hulu.

I'd also recommend the documentary on her on Hulu as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj8P8yvvLNs
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:06 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:10 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:25 pm So what’s the plan? Ban fossil fuels?
Only part of the "plan" is to replace carbon with other energy sources.
Need carbon capture too.

Right?
Yep … will need to ban the sale of new vehicles with internal combustion engines within a couple of decades. Will also need to replace and shut down all fossil fuel burning power plants within the next 20 years.

With megadroughts in the West likely to be the new norm, we will have to markedly increase water conservation and recycling efforts.

California alone will likely require dozens of new desalination plants to provide a drought-proof source of freshwater. All of those plants will need to be powered by renewable energy sources.

All household appliances currently using fossil fuels (namely, dryers, stoves, and ovens) will need to be electric. We will need to ban all natural gas versions of appliances within 20 years.

We are, basically, about 20 years behind where we need to be.

Republicans and their fossil fuel allies have pretty much tried to kill hundreds of millions of people around the world with their resistance to human-caused climate change mitigation efforts. It is, arguably, the greatest act of genocide in human history, taking place over decades … dwarfing in scale (although not in moral depravity) the crimes against humanity perpetrated by the tobacco industry and despotic regimes around the world in the 20th century.

So, yeah … ban fossil fuels.

DocBarrister :|
Thanks for reminding me Doc, I gotta go fill my gas guzzling Toyota Corolla with gas.. :lol:
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:06 am
8-) great pivot!

For the less literary, I was referring to the background twist proffered so well in the Hulu series of The Handmaid's Tale of plummeting fertility 'justifying' the creation of Gilead, including subjugation of fertile women (as if the issue was solely a matter of women's fertility)...

IMO, a really extraordinary acting tour de force in this recent version on Hulu.

I'd also recommend the documentary on her on Hulu as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj8P8yvvLNs
I have not watched the series. I saw the movie when it was released 20+ years ago. I plan on checking it out.
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:07 am
8-) great pivot!

I have not watched the series. I saw the movie when it was released 20+ years ago. I plan on checking it out.
The series blows away the movie IMO. The movie tried to pack a very involved story into a short burst.

The series does have some plot extensions and updating, but as Atwood has described, the key to her work is that everything in the story has actually happened at some point in the world, she's just extended them into a narrative of 'what if'...but it's all based on analogous situations through history. The series is true to that spirit.

It's well worth getting Hulu for a month and binge watching!
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:24 am
8-) great pivot!

The series blows away the movie IMO. The movie tried to pack a very involved story into a short burst.

The series does have some plot extensions and updating, but as Atwood has described, the key to her work is that everything in the story has actually happened at some point in the world, she's just extended them into a narrative of 'what if'...but it's all based on analogous situations through history. The series is true to that spirit.

My wife watched it. I will go back and watch it.
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:36 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:24 am
8-) great pivot!

My wife watched it. I will go back and watch it.
She might be willing to watch it again with you, it's that good; makes for some interesting discussions!

On the other hand, it's rough emotionally, so wouldn't blame her for not wanting to go through it again.
Typical Lax Dad

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/10/weather/ ... index.html

I wonder if the linguine cooked also?
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

https://twitter.com/somi_teslagirl?ref_ ... dashcam%2F

I wonder if these idiots realize how easy it would be to "PIT" them given their ridiculous lifted suspensions? Extremely front-to-rear weight distribution and a high center of gravity -- tsk, tsk. Be like pushing over a drunk at Fell's Point.

I say treat them like the idiots who infest the Capital beltway on their sport bikes. Take your hands off of the wheel and smile broadly at them... "look Ma, no hands...", or brakes.

"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Wow, that liberal redoubt known as the CIA called it in the '70s.

'In August 1974, the CIA produced a study on “climatological research as it pertains to intelligence problems”. The diagnosis was dramatic. It warned of the emergence of a new era of weird weather, leading to political unrest and mass migration (which, in turn, would cause more unrest). The new era the agency imagined wasn’t necessarily one of hotter temperatures; the CIA had heard from scientists warning of global cooling as well as warming. But the direction in which the thermometer was travelling wasn’t their immediate concern; it was the political impact. They knew that the so-called “little ice age”, a series of cold snaps between, roughly, 1350 and 1850, had brought not only drought and famine, but also war – and so could these new climatic changes.

The climate change began in 1960,” the report’s first page informs us, “but no one, including the climatologists, recognised it.” Crop failures in the Soviet Union and India in the early 1960s had been attributed to standard unlucky weather. The US shipped grain to India and the Soviets killed off livestock to eat, “and premier Nikita Khrushchev was quietly deposed”.'

https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... nd-ignored

Manna from Heaven?

"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

JFC these people keep turning up like a bad penny.

"When Ronald Reagan was elected in November 1980, he appointed lawyer James G Watt to run the Department of the Interior. Watt had headed a legal firm that fought to open public lands for drilling and mining, and already had a reputation for hating conservation projects, as a matter of policy and of faith. He once famously described environmentalism as “a leftwing cult dedicated to bringing down the type of government I believe in”. The head of the National Coal Association pronounced himself “deliriously happy” at the appointment, and corporate lobbyists started joking: “How much power does it take to stop a million environmentalists? One Watt.”

Watt didn’t close the EPA, as people initially feared he would, but he did appoint Anne Gorsuch, an anti-regulation zealot who cut it by a quarter. Pomerance and his colleagues in the environmental movement were going to be busy. They didn’t exactly have much time for picking up that lingering and still quite abstract problem of climate change. It would still be a while before Pomerance would see a public movement for climate action."

Bred in the bone, I guess. Couldn't have f&cked this up anymore if they had tried... Oh, that's right, they did.

How about all inveterate climate change deniers proudly advertise this position with a nice yard sign so the pitchfork gang knows where to find them when shite really hits the fan? Hmm? C'mon, you can always protect yourself with your AR-15. Better stock up on ammo; you're gonna need it.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Get your water filters.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/12/clim ... e=Homepage

We good and f&cked...

"For much of the past decade, oil companies engaged in drilling and fracking have been allowed to pump into the ground chemicals that, over time, can break down into toxic substances known as PFAS — a class of long-lasting compounds known to pose a threat to people and wildlife — according to internal documents from the Environmental Protection Agency.

The E.P.A. in 2011 approved the use of these chemicals, used to ease the flow of oil from the ground, despite the agency’s own grave concerns about their toxicity, according to the documents, which were reviewed by The New York Times. The E.P.A.’s approval of the three chemicals wasn’t previously publicly known."
Typical Lax Dad

PizzaSnake wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:35 pm Get your water filters.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/12/clim ... e=Homepage

We good and f&cked...

"For much of the past decade, oil companies engaged in drilling and fracking have been allowed to pump into the ground chemicals that, over time, can break down into toxic substances known as PFAS — a class of long-lasting compounds known to pose a threat to people and wildlife — according to internal documents from the Environmental Protection Agency.

The E.P.A. in 2011 approved the use of these chemicals, used to ease the flow of oil from the ground, despite the agency’s own grave concerns about their toxicity, according to the documents, which were reviewed by The New York Times. The E.P.A.’s approval of the three chemicals wasn’t previously publicly known."
You need to watch Dark Waters, if you haven’t already. There is a movie and a documentary.

This country is too regulated!!
“I wish you would!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

jhu72 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:15 pm Wet bulb heat explained.
Explained in more detail

Neat Tool: https://convergence.unc.edu/tools/wbgt/

Or just read this psychrometric chart...
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Man this guys voice still scares me, just like when I was kid.

Ice age is upon us.....or not. :lol: https://twitter.com/wilderfortruth/stat ... 30625?s=20
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

jhu72 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:45 pm A near term climate prediction.
....wobbles matter.
~Livy

Return to “POLITICS”