Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by HopFan16 »

Attendance could be muted if the team continues its current play but they're having a full in-person alumni weekend on the Friday/Saturday of the game against Maryland on April 22-23. Golf outing, happy hour, meet and greet, tailgate, etc. I'm old enough to remember when a certain poster all but guaranteed they weren't going to reschedule it because the admin is too PC or some such nonsense. Better drink up at the tailgate before the game against the Terps.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:37 pm Attendance could be muted if the team continues its current play but they're having a full in-person alumni weekend on the Friday/Saturday of the game against Maryland on April 22-23. Golf outing, happy hour, meet and greet, tailgate, etc. I'm old enough to remember when a certain poster all but guaranteed they weren't going to reschedule it because the admin is too PC or some such nonsense. Better drink up at the tailgate before the game against the Terps.
What if you have to drink after every goal?
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Should be no problem if it's after every Hopkins goal ...

(Sorry, couldn't resist! I actually hope the Jays do well under PM ...)
HappyGilmore

Post by HappyGilmore »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:41 pm Bottom line — the offense is not worse than it was when this staff took over in 2020. Some of ya'll have selective memories. That team should have lost to MOUNT ST. MARY'S at home but lucked out thanks to their goalie's one-in-a-million errant pass on a clear directly into Williams' stick. Statistically the O is pretty much exactly the same now except that 2020 team had Williams and Murphy and also won a lot more faceoffs. So despite losing those two talented guys and gaining fewer possessions via faceoffs, the offense is currently scoring the same amount of goals per game as they did when the previous staff left. There isn't much else the current coaches can do. The players are who they are and they can't just wave a magic wand and have Jonathan Donville pick Hopkins instead of Maryland. He wanted a journalism program and we don't have one. Syracuse with their media/comms program should be the ones wondering why they couldn't land him.

On the other side of the ball, both the statistics (basic goals per game as well as the advanced/efficiency metrics) AND the eye test suggest the defense is considerably better than where the last staff left it despite a lot of the personnel being the same. I do think the previous staff did a bit better recruiting defenseman toward the end of their tenure than they did on offense — Smith and Martin were both their recruits and they look like they can play (though, to be fair, Martin was supposed to be an offensive midfielder so the new staff also deserves some credit for getting him acclimated to a new position). McManus is an athlete and Lyne has ability when healthy though that's not very often. The overwhelming body of evidence across Coach Koesterer's career at various stops says he's a good defensive coach who can develop talent. Several guys have improved on that side of the ball in a way we weren't really seeing with late-stage Petro.
So the offense wasn’t good then and it’s still not good!!!!!
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:37 pm Attendance could be muted if the team continues its current play but they're having a full in-person alumni weekend on the Friday/Saturday of the game against Maryland on April 22-23. Golf outing, happy hour, meet and greet, tailgate, etc. I'm old enough to remember when a certain poster all but guaranteed they weren't going to reschedule it because the admin is too PC or some such nonsense. Better drink up at the tailgate before the game against the Terps.
I'm hearing that Tillman is just going to start his second string in hopes the game can stay close into the second quarter.

Post by 1766 »

This is a pretty amusing thread to spend a few minutes reading through. From the doom and gloom to the attempted justification that this is actually a good team. Well done Guys!
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Maybe better hold off on the gloating until after the Rutgers game ...
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

1766 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:11 pm This is a pretty amusing thread to spend a few minutes reading through. From the doom and gloom to the attempted justification that this is actually a good team. Well done Guys!
Classic result of grief 7 stage process before your eyes.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

1766 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:11 pm This is a pretty amusing thread to spend a few minutes reading through. From the doom and gloom to the attempted justification that this is actually a good team. Well done Guys!
If by good, you mean somewhere around 20-25, with potential to climb back into the top 20, sure, I agree.
Add two LSMs to the mix (one coming off BBall and the other coming off an injury) and we have more options for improving the clearing game.
Add Grimes back and there is another big lefty option on Attack.
And having more face-off options should also improve things.

But even if all those drop nicely into place in time for the B1G Tournament, will that be enough for the Jays to even be selected?
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

The Jays would have to go 3-2 in the big just to reach .500
Then they would have to win a game in the BIG tournament.
The game this Saturday is a must-win.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

44WeWantMore wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:36 am Add two LSMs to the mix (one coming off BBall and the other coming off an injury) and we have more options for improving the clearing game.
Unless you've heard something I haven't, there's been no indication Delaney is joining the team.

Clearing was quietly good against Delaware — I think something finally clicked in the second half against Navy. Martin can be a one-man clear, Jaronski has had some moments (particularly off quick outlets up the middle from Kirson) and the poles look a little bit more comfortable carrying it up to midfield and dumping it to an offensive player. Of course, there are other issues beyond clearing that haven't shown any signs of improvement lately.

You'd think we'd be the worst clearing team in the country but there are some interesting names even worse than us. In the B1G, Penn State and Ohio State have both cleared at a worse rate than the Jays. In the Ivy, Cornell, Yale, and Harvard all worse.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:30 am In the B1G, Penn State and Ohio State have both cleared at a worse rate than the Jays. In the Ivy, Cornell, Yale, and Harvard all worse.
We already established that no one watches any of those teams or goes to their games. :lol: Maybe if the hate watchers turned into fewer of our games we would be on TV less. :lol: :oops:

If an Ivy Leaguer throws the ball out of bounds and no one is around to see it... well you know the rest of that.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

44WeWantMore wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:36 am
If by good, you mean somewhere around 20-25, with potential to climb back into the top 20, sure, I agree.
Add two LSMs to the mix (one coming off BBall and the other coming off an injury) and we have more options for improving the clearing game.
Is Delaney coming back? He’s not much of an upgrade. Actually he’s not an upgrade. Fernandez could help some but again I think the upgrade is minimal. Grimes has been an average guy to be kind. I see potential but he’s not there yet. Forgive me if I don’t see anything you mentioned helping at this point.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

There are 5 camps right now
-The overwhelming majority of staff, students, and alumni who always regarded lacrosse as some sort of elitist bro sport at the far end of campus they had no interest in supporting or caring about.
-Those that after 15 years of mediocrity and underachievement have given in to the wait until next year and #trusttheprocess mantra of the coaches, media and daniels administration.
-Those that expected more progress this season and a return to greatness but still support the program.
-The young lacrosse alumni who throw shade on social media at the university and program and seem to be eagerly waiting for this staff to fail and for some coaching staff they know to be brought in.
-WOMBAT
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:30 am
44WeWantMore wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:36 am Add two LSMs to the mix (one coming off BBall and the other coming off an injury) and we have more options for improving the clearing game.
Unless you've heard something I haven't, there's been no indication Delaney is joining the team.

Clearing was quietly good against Delaware — I think something finally clicked in the second half against Navy. Martin can be a one-man clear, Jaronski has had some moments (particularly off quick outlets up the middle from Kirson) and the poles look a little bit more comfortable carrying it up to midfield and dumping it to an offensive player. Of course, there are other issues beyond clearing that haven't shown any signs of improvement lately.

You'd think we'd be the worst clearing team in the country but there are some interesting names even worse than us. In the B1G, Penn State and Ohio State have both cleared at a worse rate than the Jays. In the Ivy, Cornell, Yale, and Harvard all worse.
tbf: Del rarely pressed. In the first half, they just fell back on Zone Defense and left the middle of the field wide open to clear. It looked liked to me that the Hens game plan was to just outshoot and outscore the Jays, figuring (rightfully) that their top guns were way better than our top guns. In a shootout, they win, in a defensive struggle, they win.
Last edited by Big Dog on Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Grimes only needed 3 games to match his point total in 13 games last year. He was shooting it much better and was on his way to a big season. Whether or not he alone would have improved the offensive struggles if healthy is a different question. But his start was a key step in his development that should pay dividends down the line. Maybe not this year but probably next.

Help is on the way: https://www.instagram.com/p/CbdhSqggDVn/
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

ya know how victorious teams, well their fans, raise the goal posts after "under dog" wins ?

well, how come lacrosse fans don't storm the field and carry off the net?

b/c......THAT...is what will happen.....the mensa puzzle pieces will all come together on this day..........and a season will be "made" ;)
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

flalax22 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:48 am
44WeWantMore wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:36 am
Is Delaney coming back? He’s not much of an upgrade. Actually he’s not an upgrade. Fernandez could help some but again I think the upgrade is minimal. Grimes has been an average guy to be kind. I see potential but he’s not there yet. Forgive me if I don’t see anything you mentioned helping at this point.
I have no inside information on either Delaney or Fernandez, but Delaney's threat to go coast to coast would make some team's rides more cautious, And a healthy Fernandez would be a big plus on ground balls. Without Williams, having Grimes on the field adds a dimension that I think the Jays are missing right now. But, if you want to say that even in sum, they are not transformative, I would not argue.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:52 am Grimes only needed 3 games to match his point total in 13 games last year. He was shooting it much better and was on his way to a big season. Whether or not he alone would have improved the offensive struggles if healthy is a different question. But his start was a key step in his development that should pay dividends down the line. Maybe not this year but probably next.

Help is on the way: https://www.instagram.com/p/CbdhSqggDVn/
IS Grimes coming back from injury ? Great news, indeed.

btw.....for 2022 season, so far....whats Grimes TO's look like? Assists?

"big" season :lol: :lol:
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

the weather looks great for the game.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”