2020 Elections - Trump FIRED

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
njbill

Re: 2020 Elections - CoronaPause

Post by njbill »

I assume you are not an Abrams fan. We disagree on that, which is fine. That’s what makes the world go round.
NoLeft

Post by NoLeft »

For the Democratic VP, I'm going with Amy Klobuchar. She seems almost normal.....And as others have implied, after the election we can put Uncle Joe in the Assisted Living Center and then Amy can take over. If she has to wait four years then she can serve from 2024-2032.....Maybe bring some competence to the job and actually try to solve some "minor" problems like the exponentially growing deficit, an enemy that is China, and gettin' our butts out of the Middle East and Europe....those are just some of the issues....

:?:
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Enough votes in for the WI Supreme Court race and it looks pretty much impossible for the incumbent to win (down 6%/69,000 votes with 59% in). So the attempt to sway the race looks like it bit the Rs back hard.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Jill Karofsky (@judgekarofsky) has FLIPPED the Wisconsin Supreme Court seat, defeating incumbent conservative Dan Kelly. Trump won Swing district Kenosha by 1%. Karofsky, a liberal, won it by 17%.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
njbill

Post by njbill »

Hopefully a good sign for November.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

People have tired of life inside the drunk-bus-driver video.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Currently a 6% (53%/47%) margin - and a large share of votes for the winner yet to drop in Dane County (Madison) - where the winner is getting 75%.

Last election (last year) had the winner at 50%. Pretty big shift in an evenly divided state. I am guessing a lot of pissed of voters, too. They might well remember in November.
6x6

Post by 6x6 »

Look the election is over, Biden wins big, it won’t be close. For all those here that dislike Trump you can try to relax and survive until January. For the many on here who really hate Trump I understand that’ll be a tougher chore.
ggait

Post by ggait »

CNN rankings:

1. Harris
2. Whitmer
3. Klobuchar
4. Cortez Masto
5. Warren

I'd pick Lizzie myself -- not my policy agenda. But smart, experienced, competent, and a proven campaigner. But MA currently has a GOP governor. So the Dems would give up Warren's Senate seat until a special election could be held. And who knows if Scott Brown #2 could happen.

Abrams' resume seems pretty thin -- state legislator and loss for governor run.

So I'd bet $2 on Amy -- she'd be fine with me. But it really doesn't matter much.

For 95% of people, they are voting for/against Trump. Biden himself really doesn't matter all that much -- the primaries demonstrated that anyone except Bernie would have been acceptable. So Joe's Veep matters even less.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/09/politics ... index.html
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Edit: make that a “loss” in the gubernatorial race.

I’d be shocked if he picked Harris after the stunt she pulled on him during one of the debates.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

njbill wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:40 pm Edit: make that a “loss” in the gubernatorial race.

I’d be shocked if he picked Harris after the stunt she pulled on him during one of the debates.
That “stunt” is reportedly a positive for Biden, as news reports state he wants someone who is a good debater.

Frankly, I think he needs to choose a woman of color, and who is better qualified than Kamala Harris, the highest African American woman in elected office?

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
CU77

Post by CU77 »

njbill wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:47 pm Look, I understand a Biden/Abrams ticket might lose some conservative voters. The question is how many would it gain from black and young voters. Don’t know the answer.
Neither do I, but my guess is that it isn't many. Bernie bet the farm on young voters, and they didn't show up for him. And how many black voters want four more years of Trump, no matter who Biden's VP is?
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

njbill wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:40 pm Edit: make that a “loss” in the gubernatorial race.

If Harris isn’t VP, hopefully Biden wins and she is the AG.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
CU77

Post by CU77 »

And: the blue wave has crashed in Wisconsin! Liberal challenger for SCOW wins big, 53% to 47%, despite all the vote-suppression efforts by the trumpistas.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... tions.html
Despite it all, I felt #BlueWave coming in WI’s election. Would be totally consistent with
@NiskanenCenter’s @RachelBitecofer’s analysis. Anti-Trump voters would drink bleach for hours in those lines to kill the GOP. Trumps voters the opposite, but fewer of them.
https://twitter.com/jerry_jtaylor/statu ... 0136045570
Just to remind everyone, they gave Democrats 5 out of 180 polling locations in Milwaukee- and they still kicked their ass.
https://twitter.com/RachelBitecofer/sta ... 1558312961
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:05 pm That said, of course having someone who has the experience and temperament to step into the role should be a key consideration for any VP pick.

Of course, no one has perfect qualifications.

On the other hand, we do sometimes see eminently unqualified people get to the last stage.
Palin was the nail in the coffin for my vote for McCain. It was decently close before that and a better choice may have gotten my (I) vote.

It wasn't just that Palin was bad, it was more about his decision making on the choice.
njbill

Post by njbill »

I discount the CNN article because of its author. Wouldn’t call him a deep thinker.

But let’s work with his list.

10. Grisham. Don’t know her at all so I have no opinion.

9. Abrams. I’ve weighed in on her. Her comparative lack of experience doesn’t concern me as much as it does some of you guys. As I’ve said on here for a long time, my number one concern is beating Trump. That’s why I have supported Biden, not that I think he is any great shakes as a candidate, but because I think he has the best chance to beat Trump. Adding Abrams to the ticket, even with her thin resume, will help with the voters I have identified.

8. Demings. I liked what I saw of her during the impeachment hearings. I think, though, that Abrams would be a stronger VP. Abrams is extremely smart and has a great deal on the ball.

7. Baldwin. An interesting choice. I hadn’t thought of her. Seems to be similar in some respects to Klobuchar who I think would be a much better vice presidential candidate.

6. Duckworth. Really like her a lot. Would have no problem with her as the VP candidate.

5. Liz. It won’t be Warren. As ggait said, the Massachusetts governor, who would appoint her replacement, is a Republican. While right now it looks like the Dems have an uphill battle to retake the Senate, it is not outside the realm of possibility. Under any scenario, it would be a tough slog. So the Dems would give up a seat they desperately need? No way. The fact that Cillizza puts her this high on his list demonstrates to me a pretty fundamental flaw in his thought process.

4. Cortez Masto. Never heard of her. Don’t have an opinion about her, but if Harry Reid is pushing her, that’s reason enough for me not to want her on the ticket.

3. Klobuchar. Really like her. She is a close number two for me, behind Abrams. The main reason I put Abrams ahead of her is because I think she will be able to draw voters to the ticket that Biden won’t. Don’t think that Klobuchar adds much in terms of attracting voters that Biden doesn’t already provide. A key exception, here, is she might be able to help with Wisconsin, which could be critical.

2. Whitmer. I like her, although not quite as much as Klobuchar. I wonder if she will “abandon” her state which is in a crisis right now to go on the campaign trail. Just a gut feeling, but I don’t think she will.

1. Harris. Ugh. Don’t like her. Too phony. Too irritating. On the other hand, she is smart and might help with black voters, although not nearly as much as Abrams would. As I said in my previous post, however, I don’t think Biden would forgive her for what she pulled in one of those debates. I certainly wouldn’t.

OK, fellas, who is your VP candidate?
njbill

Post by njbill »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:49 pm

That “stunt” is reportedly a positive for Biden, as news reports state he wants someone who is a good debater.

Frankly, I think he needs to choose a woman of color, and who is better qualified than Kamala Harris, the highest African American woman in elected office?

DocBarrister 8-)

Doc, since she is your Senator, you certainly know more about her than I do.

Harris is a good debater and she no doubt would out debate Pence, but I don’t think that would add any votes to the ticket.

Joe is no doubt a more forgiving guy than I am. I would never pick her in 1 million years.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Actual polling data on who D primary voters want for VP:

https://today.yougov.com/topics/politic ... -mate-poll

I think it will be Kamala. That would be my advice to Biden.
Last edited by CU77 on Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Klobuchar or Abrams. But I think ggait is right. It may not much matter.
njbill

Post by njbill »

CU77 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:53 pm
njbill wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:47 pm Look, I understand a Biden/Abrams ticket might lose some conservative voters. The question is how many would it gain from black and young voters. Don’t know the answer.
Neither do I, but my guess is that it isn't many. Bernie bet the farm on young voters, and they didn't show up for him. And how many black voters want four more years of Trump, no matter who Biden's VP is?
Not that this means much, but I’ll pass on a conversation I had with my daughter yesterday. She lives in LA and actively campaigned for Warren. We were talking about whether she would drive to Arizona (no need to do any work in California) to work on the general election. She is very enthusiastic about Abrams and said she would drive to Arizona in a heartbeat to campaign for a Biden/Abrams ticket. She would be much less enthusiastic if, say, Klobuchar were the VP candidate.

My daughter thinks Abrams would help to bring out the youth vote, but you make a fair point about Bernie and those voters. But much more important to winning in November is Abrams’ ability to bring out the black vote in Philadelphia, Detroit, and Milwaukee. Much more critical. Yes, blacks who go to the polls will overwhelmingly vote for Biden as they did for Hillary. But Abrams, I think, will be able to get more black voters to go to the polls.

Return to “POLITICS”