Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
primitiveskills

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by primitiveskills »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:15 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:13 pm
10stone5 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:10 pm Marcille - 21 saves 70%.
Marcille just stole the game.

SU D played an excellent game.

Hopkins D stepped up when they had to. Kept some of SU’s big guns relatively quiet.

But again … Marcille stole the game. Hopkins was pretty much outplayed everywhere but in goal.

DocBarrister
Ehhhh, they looked like the better team to me. This was our third game in 8 days in a hostile environment and they won the second half 6-3. Won the 4th 3-1.
Agree. If we stayed out of the box, this wouldn't be that close.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Hopkins D stepped up when they had to. Kept some of SU’s big guns relatively quiet.

But again … Marcille stole the game. Hopkins was pretty much outplayed everywhere but in goal.

DocBarrister
Ehhhh, they looked like the better team to me. This was our third game in 8 days in a hostile environment and they won the second half 6-3. Won the 4th 3-1.
I think the Blue Jays are the better team, I agree with that.

But if Marcille simply had an excellent game instead of a great one, the Blue Jays lose this game.

Petro’s D impressed today.

Blue Jays made the timely plays in the fourth quarter. Love the fight they have shown this season.

Two must-win games next weekend. They have a shot at entering B1G conference play at 7-3 if they get the job done.

B1G will be tough this season.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

primitiveskills wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:18 pm

DocBarrister
Agree. If we stayed out of the box, this wouldn't be that close.
If Marcille only made an excellent 15 saves, this game would not have been close.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Narewski with some key face off wins.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
primitiveskills

Nice to see McDermott back
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Helluva game from Pat Deans. Huge caused turnover on Cuse's second to last possession and then the goal to ice it in transition. He's a freak athlete.

Lot of other key contributions from guys like Hawley, Evans, Jaronski, Narewski. Melendez with a great effort — I liked him running out of the box although I think towards the end he was back at attack instead of Krampf.

Marcille obviously the MVP.

Peshko and Grimes gotta do some soul-searching. Not getting much from either of them right now. Phillips still not back and I spotted English in street clothes again.
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

Hopkins has played a brutal schedule and always shows up. Like this team a lot
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Sorry to jump on your thread. Hop had better wins going into this game. It's hard to define the added "X" factor that this season's team brings, and still harder to define the 'X' factor that 'Cuse might lack. Great win for the Jays. Congratulations.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:36 pm Helluva game from Pat Deans. Huge caused turnover on Cuse's second to last possession and then the goal to ice it in transition. He's a freak athlete.

Lot of other key contributions from guys like Hawley, Evans, Jaronski, Narewski. Melendez with a great effort — I liked him running out of the box although I think towards the end he was back at attack instead of Krampf.

Peshko and Grimes gotta do some soul-searching. Not getting much from either of them right now. Phillips still not back and I spotted English in street clothes again.
I have to admit I was shouting "Don't shoot, don't shoot", right before I jumped out of my seat.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

faircornell wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:58 pm Sorry to jump on your thread. Hop had better wins going into this game. It's hard to define the added "X" factor that this season's team brings, and still harder to define the 'X' factor that 'Cuse might lack. Great win for the Jays. Congratulations.
Right now, it would be Elite goalie play coupled with more weapons on offense. Collison and Melendez have given a major shot in the arm to this team offensively, coupled with Marcille finally starting.
Getting Narewski back was also critical. Without him winning draws in the fourth, the outcome could well have been different.
Jays need to win both games next weekend as there don't seem to be any easy games in the BIG anymore.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

44WeWantMore wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:15 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:36 pm Helluva game from Pat Deans. Huge caused turnover on Cuse's second to last possession and then the goal to ice it in transition. He's a freak athlete.

I have to admit I was shouting "Don't shoot, don't shoot", right before I jumped out of my seat.
It wasn’t a good play.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

Hawley is an unsung hero. Wonder if Petro is going to take him off the Christmas card list?
I'm not sure why is it so hard for players today to realize that cross checking to the head is not ALLOWED! that being said, how is Carson Brown called for a cross check to the head locked up full time? Slash yes, but what???
How does no Syracuse player get anything for hitting him for no reason and running up on him from behind during the melee at midfield?
Given the rash of concussions, I am not a fan of slapping a guy in the helmet as a celebration.
BIGDAWG

Post by BIGDAWG »

I know in the past I've said that this program should be relegated back to D3, but I am here to thank this team and the loyal fans who didn't let them get sent down a division. Their fight and perseverance allowed the BIGDAWG PLAY OF THE DAY to succeed. Therefore, in my thanks, I will be posting an extra BIGDAWG play for you simple folk next week.
Peace and love kemosabes.
primitiveskills

In the past two seasons, there have been four games (Loyola last year; Georgetown, St Joe's, Cuse this year) where Hopkins has lead by one and the opponent had possession with under a minute to go. Results of those four possessions: zero shots, 4 caused turnovers.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

I watched the game through a wedding ceremony today. My wife only hit me once. All I have to say is that I’m so glad Tim found his game in the cage this year.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

flalax22 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:41 pm I watched the game through a wedding ceremony today. My wife only hit me once. All I have to say is that I’m so glad Tim found his game in the cage this year.
Heh.

Good choice … lots of people have more than one wedding anyway. How many times are you going to see a Hopkins goalie make 21 saves up at the Dome?

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

primitiveskills wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:14 pm In the past two seasons, there have been four games (Loyola last year; Georgetown, St Joe's, Cuse this year) where Hopkins has lead by one and the opponent had possession with under a minute to go. Results of those four possessions: zero shots, 4 caused turnovers.
Think there's a real psychological effect when your goalie is A) standing on his head and B) one of the most-liked guys in the locker room. He paid his dues and everyone on that team is aware of it. They were going to make a stop for him in that moment. I was struck by how (relatively) calm I was on that possession. Didn't think for a second Cuse was going to score.

This D is as bought-in and as cohesive as they've been probably since the 2011-2012 teams with Tucker Durkin leading the way. Coach K's work with that group has been pretty remarkable.

That said, there were some lapses off-ball today and lots to clean up. Your goalie shouldn't have to make 21 saves. Cuse has a bunch of Canadians like Hiltz who know what the hell they're doing without the ball but we can't afford to lose a player like that multiple times. I thought Carson Brown finally played like a freshman today after several games where he looked like a veteran. He'll have better days.

Jays got to the magic number of 26 players today which 51 will probably be content with. We went 11 deep on offense, 3 FOGOs, 6 guys with 6-foot poles, 4 SSDMs, Marcille, and Jack "Wing God" Hawley.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

Yeah maybe it was the different viewing angle but it sure looked like they were doing some different things defensively today rather than playing a bit more straight up as they have in other games. An awful lot of not covering off ball behind the cage led to multiple hung situations and even the zone/packed in setup they would end up in preparing to help an isolated short stick seemed to lead to a bunch of confusion and improper handoffs along with unnecessary slides for too easy looks and generating offense for the opposition.
primitiveskills

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:45 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:14 pm In the past two seasons, there have been four games (Loyola last year; Georgetown, St Joe's, Cuse this year) where Hopkins has lead by one and the opponent had possession with under a minute to go. Results of those four possessions: zero shots, 4 caused turnovers.
Think there's a real psychological effect when your goalie is A) standing on his head and B) one of the most-liked guys in the locker room. He paid his dues and everyone on that team is aware of it. They were going to make a stop for him in that moment. I was struck by how (relatively) calm I was on that possession. Didn't think for a second Cuse was going to score.

This D is as bought-in and as cohesive as they've been probably since the 2011-2012 teams with Tucker Durkin leading the way. Coach K's work with that group has been pretty remarkable.

That said, there were some lapses off-ball today and lots to clean up. Your goalie shouldn't have to make 21 saves. Cuse has a bunch of Canadians like Hiltz who know what the hell they're doing without the ball but we can't afford to lose a player like that multiple times. I thought Carson Brown finally played like a freshman today after several games where he looked like a veteran. He'll have better days.

Jays got to the magic number of 26 players today which 51 will probably be content with. We went 11 deep on offense, 3 FOGOs, 6 guys with 6-foot poles, 4 SSDMs, Marcille, and Jack "Wing God" Hawley.
Simply saying that it is hard to play better than that in end-of-game defensive situations. And, oh, we gave up all of 3 goals in the second half, needing only 6 saves from Marcille (as opposed to 15 in the first). Hard to find much to fault in that.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

DocBarrister
great to see hopkins be able to do it late in their 3rd game in 8 days.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”