Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Hoponboard

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by Hoponboard »

This game was actually winnable when it was 10-10 and we won the FO, but Rodgers got into trouble. I was yelling at my screen for Milliman to call a timeout before the predicable TO occurred which led to Delaware’s winning goal. It’s called game awareness.

Why didn’t we see Callahan again after he went 3 for 5 on FOs?

Congratulations to Degnon! Eight goals in a weekend is remarkable.

More than half our offense is coming from Peshko and Degnon.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

there's no insulting the pep band. They're undefeated. Every year.

He had two years to make changes. Clearly they didn't like the goaltending room and found kirson. They reached for fernandez delaney jennings szulak to shore up the defense. What did they do for the offense? What adjustments did you see Grant jr make this week? They fixed deso who is now back to 2020 form. Grimes was starting to come on. The manup unit also stinks now.

Lacrosse is supposed to be Baker's forte and this hire is not working out particularly on the offensive end. After the season ends I'll go back and make a list of all the dud Xanders ratings of our recruiting classes because he way overrated most of these kids. I don't know what Toomey did to hurt his feelings or what Petro did to make him feel special but given the results on the field the last decade he should've flip flopped his ratings.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Jays are making the wrong kind of history. First ever loss to Delaware after first home loss to Navy since the Moon landing.

Hoping Jays play Michigan on Saturday with nothing to lose. No reason to play tight at this sad juncture.

The only thing on the line will be my stomach after our class alumni crab cake luncheon.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:27 pm
jhu06 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:24 pm the bar is higher when it's a coach the ad had a prior relationship with.
lol, according to who?

he's coaching with a bunch of kids he didn't recruit. he's going to get at least another 3-4 years before there's even a discussion. posting it over and over again on an online forum isn't going to change that
I agree Milliman will get his full contract term, whatever that is.

However, that’s probably contingent on his eventually making an NCAA tournament.

Missing the tournament two seasons in a row? No problem. Three years in a row? Hey, he’s just getting his recruits in.

But miss the NCAA tournament for four years in a row? I don’t see his Hopkins tenure surviving that, even with the current administration.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:41 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:21 pm
Hoponboard wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:02 pm What a disastrous weekend. Milliman’s scheduling has basically killed the Jays’ season. Terps own the AQ. Start playing for next season and see if any of the freshmen beyond Callahan can play.
PM is playing with house money. It is justification for the ousting of DP. Face it, DP lost the early recruiting gamble and then some trying to recover from it.

If we could revive lax power, it was discussed in quite detail how this was going to happen.
It’s not mostly an early recruiting thing. Epstein is an early recruit and he is the Blue Jays’ best player.

I think Petro’s main recruiting issue in his latter years was failing to recruit a team of complementary players. For one reason or another, his recruiting classes grew top heavy with small attackmen, many of whom were forced to play midfield, even if they lacked the athleticism for the position.

Coach Milliman and his staff definitely have a style of lacrosse they want to play and apparently they are going to try and play that style of lacrosse whether or not it fits their current roster.

From a long-term perspective, that makes sense. They can seek the recruits best suited for their style, and show them what they want to do … establishing a clear identity on both ends of the field should only help to recruit the right kinds of players.

What that means in the short term is watching Petro recruits try and fit into a system for which they are not ideally suited. And that can look pretty ugly.

I have to give the current Blue Jays credit … it’s clear to me that they are trying hard to play the coaches’ system. What’s also clear to me is that they’re having an awful tough time doing it.

Blue Jays will need to either run the B1G regular season (a de facto AQ) or win the B1G tournament (the actual AQ). Either way, it’s a pretty daunting task.

Finally, I don’t think Coach Milliman or his staff are on the hot seat. However, if they miss the tournament this season and the next … well, I’m pretty sure the lacrosse alumni will not be happy about that … Tony Seaman was fired for much less.

DocBarrister
One final note … the one player in the game who best fits Junior’s system? Mike Robinson of Delaware. Canadian player who is always moving his feet and who has the signature stick skills of a Canadian player.

Wouldn’t say it was ironic … but, yeah … kinda ironic.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

The Orfling wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:14 pm Very rough weekend for the Jays. Hard to compute that the same team that beat Loyola, Jacksonville and Syracuse loses to two unranked (but good) teams in the same weekend. Have teams figured something out or is this just the up and downs of a season and Navy and Delaware are within the margin of error — top 25 teams beating a top 15\20 team?
You are what your record says you are, and the Jays ain't no top 15/20 team. Not even close.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Hoponboard wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:51 pm Jays are making the wrong kind of history. First ever loss to Delaware after first home loss to Navy since the Moon landing.

Hoping Jays play Michigan on Saturday with nothing to lose. No reason to play tight at this sad juncture.

The only thing on the line will be my stomach after our class alumni crab cake luncheon.
Playoffs begin for Hopkins next week.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

I’m not looking it up but I’m wondering what PM’s coaching record is without Jeff Teat on his team
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

8-14 in D1. His JHU record. He had Teat the whole time at Cornell. For me, it's time to try to stop caring about this program and this university.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

GSP wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:35 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:20 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:15 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:08 pm The stuff about wanting the D to not run down field after scores is one of the most inane things I've ever seen on this board. Just stop. On the list of top 100 problems with this team, this is #5849902873920.
no one is saying it's a major problem, but you'd think that two days after playing a very physical one-goal game they'd want to keep legs as fresh as possible. delaware came into tonight on 9 days rest
Its silly. It has absolutely zero to do with "fresh legs".
It is neither a silly nor an inane point to make! Additionally, it has nothing to due with tired legs or a better use of energy.
Instead, it is an embarrassing practice when the team is not competitive. The tradition only works when the team is dominant. It was a similar feeling to watching the pep band play the "We want more" song for the 4th goal when they were already down 16 to 3 to Virginia. It is just such a sad "salt in the wounds" reminder of just how far this program has slipped. It only invokes feelings of pity and sadness. They should discontinue both until the team gets competitive again.
So no goal celebrations until we're back in the Final Four. Because only Final Four teams get to celebrate while everyone else should show respectful levels of shame and lack-of-enthusiasm. OK, got it.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

nyjay wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:51 pm 8-14 in D1. His JHU record. He had Teat the whole time at Cornell. For me, it's time to try to stop caring about this program and this university.
Bye
Hail to the Victors

Post by Hail to the Victors »

Hoponboard wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:42 pm This game was actually winnable when it was 10-10 and we won the FO, but Rodgers got into trouble. I was yelling at my screen for Milliman to call a timeout before the predicable TO occurred which led to Delaware’s winning goal. It’s called game awareness.
Was Rogers past the restraining line? It didn't look like it from the stands.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:41 pm Tony Seaman was fired for much less.
PM may want to start looking elsewhere and pull a “John Haus.”
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Hail to the Victors wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:20 am
Hoponboard wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:42 pm This game was actually winnable when it was 10-10 and we won the FO, but Rodgers got into trouble. I was yelling at my screen for Milliman to call a timeout before the predicable TO occurred which led to Delaware’s winning goal. It’s called game awareness.
Was Rogers past the restraining line? It didn't look like it from the stands.
Fairly certain he was not.
nyjay wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:51 pm 8-14 in D1. His JHU record. He had Teat the whole time at Cornell. For me, it's time to try to stop caring about this program and this university.
Man, some of the reactions here are ridiculous. Expect it from 06 but not from you. Yes, things are bad. It is a *rebuild.* The state of the program when this staff took over was no bueno from both a talent and culture standpoint. And the core of this team is still the same one that was 2-4 and should have lost at home to Mount St. Mary's before the pandemic. Progress is measured in years, not game to game. If you don't have the patience for that, then, by all means, sayonara.
primitiveskills wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:29 pm So no goal celebrations until we're back in the Final Four. Because only Final Four teams get to celebrate while everyone else should show respectful levels of shame and lack-of-enthusiasm. OK, got it.
Again I don't think anyone is saying that, the offense can do whatever they want after they score a goal for all I care. But the entire defense jogging the length of the field, twice, after each goal is bizarre. These kids are in good shape but they're not marathon sprinters. It's wasted energy. Do any other teams do it? I'm willing to concede I've got it wrong and that it's a very common practice, but I'm pretty sure that's not the case. And if so there must be a reason why other teams don't do it.
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

How long before the Hopkins 2023 thread is started?
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

2 years ago PM could have gone hard rebuild, not gone into the transfer market, let williams and other guys walk and given the field to freshmen and sophomores. Instead we have 18 grad students/srs this year and this is the same stuff we watched much of the last decade plus with offenses that just pass the ball around and defenses that can't clear consistently among other things. I don't know anything about next years recruits but obviously you're starting with having to completely rebuild at attack, midfield, and in goal already.

The early recruiting is why JHU is losing isn't an excuse anymore.

That Cornell Sun article (our student newspaper doesn't even bother to cover the program anymore) made clear that Baker has a deep background with lacrosse which is probably why she was hired as ad and with PM from Ithaca. You wonder where we would be right now with Galloway instead of PM. If I was a fan of the womens program I would be watching how PM is doing and asking whether Baker deserves to lead that search.
notentitled

Post by notentitled »

This page and the Hobart's are by far and away the most entertaining.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:11 am 2 years ago PM could have gone hard rebuild, not gone into the transfer market, let williams and other guys walk and given the field to freshmen and sophomores. Instead we have 18 grad students/srs this year and this is the same stuff we watched much of the last decade plus with offenses that just pass the ball around and defenses that can't clear consistently among other things. I don't know anything about next years recruits but obviously you're starting with having to completely rebuild at attack, midfield, and in goal already.

That Cornell Sun article (our student newspaper doesn't even bother to cover the program anymore) made clear that Baker has a deep background with lacrosse which is probably why she was hired as ad and with PM from Ithaca. You wonder where we would be right now with Galloway instead of PM. If I was a fan of the womens program I would be watching how PM is doing and asking whether Baker deserves to lead that search.
Two posts ago you were crying that the staff didn't use the transfer portal enough, and now you're crying that they used it too much?

If they had "given the field to freshmen and sophomores" the team would be even worse than it is now and you'd be making these same exact posts except they would have started a few weeks sooner.

Is the problem the coaches or the players? Or both? Or the AD? Or Daniels? Or the Baltimore Sun? Your posts are becoming increasingly incoherent the more Mad Online you get.

You led the charge on here to get rid of Petro and now 1.5 years into his tenure you're doing the same for Milliman before he even gets a single full recruiting class on campus. One might get the sense you just like to complain.

I'm pretty sure we could go back and there'd be posts of you complaining about the mere possibility of us hiring Galloway. Had we done that, you'd now be calling for HIS head.

The evaluation doesn't even *start* until they've gotten a few classes of their own in. All of these histrionics are just wasted breaths.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:30 am
jhu06 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:11 am 2 years ago PM could have gone hard rebuild, not gone into the transfer market, let williams and other guys walk and given the field to freshmen and sophomores. Instead we have 18 grad students/srs this year and this is the same stuff we watched much of the last decade plus with offenses that just pass the ball around and defenses that can't clear consistently among other things. I don't know anything about next years recruits but obviously you're starting with having to completely rebuild at attack, midfield, and in goal already.

Two posts ago you were crying that the staff didn't use the transfer portal enough, and now you're crying that they used it too much?

If they had "given the field to freshmen and sophomores" the team would be even worse than it is now and you'd be making these same exact posts except they would have started a few weeks sooner.

Is the problem the coaches or the players? Or both? Or the AD? Or Daniels? Or the Baltimore Sun? Your posts are becoming increasingly incoherent the more Mad Online you get.

You led the charge on here to get rid of Petro and now 1.5 years into his tenure you're doing the same for Milliman before he even gets a single full recruiting class on campus. One might get the sense you just like to complain.

I'm pretty sure we could go back and there'd be posts of you complaining about the mere possibility of us hiring Galloway. Had we done that, you'd now be calling for HIS head.

The evaluation doesn't even *start* until they've gotten a few classes of their own in. All of these histrionics are just wasted breaths.
If the question is whether Coach Milliman and company can coach, I think they partly answered the question last season.

The 2021 Blue Jays were, by the end of the season, one of the most improved teams in college lacrosse. Great effort by the players and coaches together.

This season, Blue Jays are 4-5 after playing, to date, the toughest schedule in the nation. After all that, the Blue Jays still have a shot for an AQ. Is it a very, very, VERY LONG shot?

No doubt it is.

I feel for these Jays. They definitely seem like fish out of water in the offensive and defensive systems that Coach Milliman and the staff have been trying to implement over the last two seasons. The effort is definitely there to make it work.

Buried in yesterday’s devastating loss were some positive developments:

20-21 on clears :shock:

45 shots

Assists on 8 of 10 goals

Probably the best ball movement on offense this season (the spacing still seems terrible and there were too many imprudent efforts to force the pass inside)

11 caused turnovers :o

13 saves by Kirson, who really upped his game for about 15 minutes in the second half.

Can the Blue Jays make another compelling final run? We’ll see.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

I am sorry but there is just alot of delusion on both sides of the ball so to speak - but mainly around Milliman in my opinion. What is he supposed to do - did Harry not really snap the Elder Wand and give it to PM so he can become the most powerful wizard on Earth and all of a sudden players that chose other schools in the transfer portal would have chosen Hopkins and players that do not have certain assets all of a sudden have them? Let's assess what he started with:
- A roster with two consecutive classes of players totalling 35 - could have been more - a couple left - plus two whittled down upper classes still bringing the potential roster before transfers to 56 or thereabouts
- A tiny little thing called the corona virus which prevented him from a) meeting his 56 or so players for close to if not more than 8 months b) recruiting any transfer in person c) having an effective avenue to replace the coaching change defections from the incoming class
- With Gainey leaving and the goalie from Shadyside embroiled in his own problems - the goalie room was down to two - one 5'9" incumbent with a career save percentage of mid 40's - let's all pause to remember the Thank God post on Darby - the other an unproven 5'7" sophomore. So he went and found Kirson - it was a good try - he has his good and bad moments - did not play well IMO in the first half last night - was a big reason the game became close in the second
- He had players like Grimes that had not played a competitive game in 2 years because he was hurt his high school junior year
- He had no fall practices and a truncated interrupted spring practice
- He tried to shore up the defense with Szuluk - I don't chart his + and - 's but he's certainly seen the field and appears capable
- There were 7 midfielders listed at 5'9" or less on the 2021 team - of the 14 midfielders on the '21 roster - at least 7 are gone - most unfortunately by forced attrition that had to be done and a couple transfers
- He lost a good player in Murphy (has skills that Hopkins oh so desparately needs) - we probably don't need a rehash of that - I wasn't in the building but I was ....oh never mind
- A defense that was in shambles - recruited a good assistant coach and while clearing has been a nightmare and they have a role with that - they have been better - pretty much locked down Delaware 6v6 in the second half. 2 goals off face-offs - an EMO goal etc and they DID play alot in those 48 hours - the offense should be pretty rested
Then in 2022
- He loses a valuable key to why the offense was playing better towards the end of the year - this '06 and others total BS that he should have been prepared for this and Dr. Frankenstein'd a 6'5 attackman that was mobile and a threat to score is absolutely absurd - even if he didn't have Grimes to think about putting there - where was he going to get this person? PM doesn't get to tip toe throught the tulips and pick whatever flower he wants. There were some talented transfers - maybe - just maybe they didn't want to come to Hopkins and it didn't involve the coach?
- A highly valued player that brings some skills to the table can't get on the field - Grimes would help - not enough but he would help
- An offense that relies on 5 or so converted attackmen playing from positions on the field that are not 100% condusive to their skills and against a type of player that can push them off their marks.
- Losing your top face-off man for the first half of the season denying some easy possessions

What would you want him to do? Who do you want to play that is not playing? Remember many high schools had non existent or even more truncated seasons in '21 than DI colleges so these freshmen right now are really behind the curve. I have heard Phillips name and Charboneau - ok get them out there gradually a little bit more and find out some things.

Bottom bottom line - the roster was poorly constructed primarily due to recruiting of rising high school sophomores and freshmen - it's why you are playing a starting offensive 6 that at times has one guy over 6' tall and before the Turk had to stalk the halls of Homewood and cut players you had 35 36 players in two classes.

On the flip side - anybody that is holding out hope for an AQ or a 5-0/4-1 run through the BIG to still be in the convo for a AL should not be allowed to watch late night TV because you will own every piece of schlock that is out there. With the exception of Penn State - maybe - they will be underdogs and severe underdogs in 3 of the next 5 games. They have played 9 games and scored 18 once and 11 twice - so 6 games with 10 or less. Didn't Michigan boatrace the Blue Hens? A beating B and C beating A does not mean C beats B of course but the relative difference in those games may provide a clue.

Of course the team cannot act like that before conference play - so nobody should be surprised when the same line-up trots out to play the Wolverines. If that game does go in the L column and then you are looking at road games at OSU and Rutgers - at some point then Phillips/Charboneau or someone should play more and you learn things for next year.

Patience is required

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”