The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
ggait

Re: 2024

Post by ggait »

Until we get a full reload of the currently stalled forecast models (538, Economist, Silver), I have my eye on net favorability. Net favorability is one of the three main "fundamentals" that tend to predict well where the polls and eventually the election outcome will go. [The other two fundamentals, fyi, are GDP growth and whether the candidate is an incumbent.]

Check out the graph below. And watch how the graph moves over the next couple weeks.

Biden is at -20 net favorability. Interesting that Joe's NF had been dropping since late May. So the early debate was a move to reverse that slide. Meaning Joe was behind, and slowly trending down before the debate. So once his debate cratered, it was game over.

Trump is now at -10. Not good, but better than his competitors and currently trending up.

Harris is at about -12. Still behind. But getting close and also currently trending up.

She's got three pivot point opportunities to really make it a horse race -- VP pick, Dem convention, and a debate with Trump (if that happens).

https://www.economist.com/interactive/u ... ris-polls/
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 12:11 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 11:27 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 10:33 am
PizzaSnake wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 10:09 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 9:31 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 9:23 am
old salt wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 11:27 pm
jhu72 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 1:36 pm .... a democratic voter poll has chosen Mark Kelly by a 2:1 margin over the field, as the most desirable VP candidate.
He could be the President if you nominated him.
I figured that’s what you and people like you would say. Kamala could be President also. They picked her instead. Maybe she will give him an opportunity.
Right you are. The Republicans and Democrats have pretty much made up their minds. VP Harris has to win over those 25% of Independent voters. That is her challenge.
This notion of "independents" is bunk. They just don't have the strength of their convictions to allow them to publicly state them. Fence-sitters. Pusillanimous twats. Attention seekers. From what I see of a limited data set (news media interviews), this group is not marked by deep and critical thought.
I think you have less monolithic behavior in the independent cohort and a wider distribution.
The reality is that there are two choices, and unfortunately, they both scuk, to some degree. So, make up your mind. Don't like this reality, then change it. The time to start that is now, but it will have zero impact on the next election. There's a reason that there are two "choices" that look remarkably similar. Nothing like the illusion of freewill and choice to keep passions in check and increase predictability and continuity.

You have no freewill. Every decision you "make" has been pre-determined by the course of your entire life, the things you learned, the experiences you've had, the people you've met, the lessons you've learned. Most everything we do is extremely predictable given our histories. My favorite part of some religions is this inversion and suggestion that we do have freewill. We don't, at least not in meaningful and determinative ways. Evidently, doublespeak and cognitive dissonance are indeed longstanding human behaviors.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/83817782-determined

Some people find hallucinogens and psychedelics compelling because they allow for a momentary opportunity to escape our carefully crafted personal reality (we're all doing a lifetime "stretch" in solitary), and some, with delicate and fragile senses of self, find them anathema. The more interesting traditions are those that define enlightenment as a glimpse of the larger reality that exists outside the bounds of our prisons, i.e. Buddhism. All of the Abrahamic faiths are just crutches for the weak-minded or bonds for those with inclinations towards self-direction. The iconoclast is reviled, and the adherent is glorified.

As one might imagine, this sort of freedom is not encouraged by a system predicated upon our predictability and often, no, nearly always, eradicated, leaf, stem and root. Patriarchies are preferred because men tend to be stupid and easily manipulated, making social control easier given the high incidence of the Dunning-Kruger effect.
Try this guy out

https://iep.utm.edu/husspemb/
"However, Husserl’s main focus is epistemological, and for him, lived embodiment is not only a means of practical action, but an essential part of the deep structure of all knowing."

Not "an essential part of the deep structure of all knowing;" the only one available to us. Omphaloskepsis, while amusing and endlessly diverting, is, unfortunately, devoid of any possibility of discerning any objective reality. By observing others actions and words, we can infer hidden truths much as exoplanets can be inferred by orbital perturbations of distant celestial objects.

Most religions rest on some very sketchy epistemology. Those Jesuits are slippery with their assertion of ineffability. Well, that leaves us where, exactly? Taking their word and the whole of the Abrahamic tradition at face value? Nope. I'll pass.

The problem with an examined life and deep, critical thought is that most are woefully ill-equipped for it. So, what for them? Often, being led astray by those individuals and organizations with bad intent. To be fair, many in those hierarchies are also a little on the dull side, and there is no malice aforethought, just the supreme surety of ignorance and gullibility. Reminds me of the practice of female genital mutilation -- usually performed upon its victims by the women of the community. Awe inspiring cognitive dissonance, really.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

ggait wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 12:49 pm Until we get a full reload of the currently stalled forecast models (538, Economist, Silver), I have my eye on net favorability. Net favorability is one of the three main "fundamentals" that tend to predict well where the polls and eventually the election outcome will go. [The other two fundamentals, fyi, are GDP growth and whether the candidate is an incumbent.]

Check out the graph below. And watch how the graph moves over the next couple weeks.

Biden is at -20 net favorability. Interesting that Joe's NF had been dropping since late May. So the early debate was a move to reverse that slide. Meaning Joe was behind, and slowly trending down before the debate. So once his debate cratered, it was game over.

Trump is now at -10. Not good, but better than his competitors and currently trending up.

Harris is at about -12. Still behind. But getting close and also currently trending up.

She's got three pivot point opportunities to really make it a horse race -- VP pick, Dem convention, and a debate with Trump (if that happens).

https://www.economist.com/interactive/u ... ris-polls/
Would be shocked if it happens. His wisecracking won’t be enough. It has gotten stale.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PizzaSnake wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 1:00 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 12:11 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 11:27 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 10:33 am
PizzaSnake wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 10:09 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 9:31 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 9:23 am
old salt wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 11:27 pm
jhu72 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 1:36 pm .... a democratic voter poll has chosen Mark Kelly by a 2:1 margin over the field, as the most desirable VP candidate.
He could be the President if you nominated him.
I figured that’s what you and people like you would say. Kamala could be President also. They picked her instead. Maybe she will give him an opportunity.
Right you are. The Republicans and Democrats have pretty much made up their minds. VP Harris has to win over those 25% of Independent voters. That is her challenge.
This notion of "independents" is bunk. They just don't have the strength of their convictions to allow them to publicly state them. Fence-sitters. Pusillanimous twats. Attention seekers. From what I see of a limited data set (news media interviews), this group is not marked by deep and critical thought.
I think you have less monolithic behavior in the independent cohort and a wider distribution.
The reality is that there are two choices, and unfortunately, they both scuk, to some degree. So, make up your mind. Don't like this reality, then change it. The time to start that is now, but it will have zero impact on the next election. There's a reason that there are two "choices" that look remarkably similar. Nothing like the illusion of freewill and choice to keep passions in check and increase predictability and continuity.

You have no freewill. Every decision you "make" has been pre-determined by the course of your entire life, the things you learned, the experiences you've had, the people you've met, the lessons you've learned. Most everything we do is extremely predictable given our histories. My favorite part of some religions is this inversion and suggestion that we do have freewill. We don't, at least not in meaningful and determinative ways. Evidently, doublespeak and cognitive dissonance are indeed longstanding human behaviors.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/83817782-determined

Some people find hallucinogens and psychedelics compelling because they allow for a momentary opportunity to escape our carefully crafted personal reality (we're all doing a lifetime "stretch" in solitary), and some, with delicate and fragile senses of self, find them anathema. The more interesting traditions are those that define enlightenment as a glimpse of the larger reality that exists outside the bounds of our prisons, i.e. Buddhism. All of the Abrahamic faiths are just crutches for the weak-minded or bonds for those with inclinations towards self-direction. The iconoclast is reviled, and the adherent is glorified.

As one might imagine, this sort of freedom is not encouraged by a system predicated upon our predictability and often, no, nearly always, eradicated, leaf, stem and root. Patriarchies are preferred because men tend to be stupid and easily manipulated, making social control easier given the high incidence of the Dunning-Kruger effect.
Try this guy out

https://iep.utm.edu/husspemb/
"However, Husserl’s main focus is epistemological, and for him, lived embodiment is not only a means of practical action, but an essential part of the deep structure of all knowing."

Not "an essential part of the deep structure of all knowing;" the only one available to us. Omphaloskepsis, while amusing and endlessly diverting, is, unfortunately, devoid of any possibility of discerning any objective reality. By observing others actions and words, we can infer hidden truths much as exoplanets can be inferred by orbital perturbations of distant celestial objects.

Most religions rest on some very sketchy epistemology. Those Jesuits are slippery with their assertion of ineffability. Well, that leaves us where, exactly? Taking their word and the whole of the Abrahamic tradition at face value? Nope. I'll pass.

The problem with an examined life and deep, critical thought is that most are woefully ill-equipped for it. So, what for them? Often, being led astray by those individuals and organizations with bad intent. To be fair, many in those hierarchies are also a little on the dull side, and there is no malice aforethought, just the supreme surety of ignorance and gullibility. Reminds me of the practice of female genital mutilation -- usually performed upon its victims by the women of the community. Awe inspiring cognitive dissonance, really.
Can’t sit and watch rent seeking behavior forever while employing self restraint it’s not a human condition. Husserl’s phenomenology is a predecessor to existentialism. I never cared for the subjectiveness related to it which I think is your argument but it speaks to the behavior of the pious I think.

But we all fail numerous of the ten major cognitive distortions daily. Betbyou firm yourself guilty of one or more of these often like I do.

10 Cognitive Distortions That Can Cause Negative Thinking
Recognizing these thought patterns can help you overcome them

Woman looking in mirror that has a distorted reflection of herself
Verywell / Nez Riaz
Cognitive distortions are negative or irrational patterns of thinking. These negative thought patterns can play a role in diminishing your motivation, lowering your self-esteem, and contributing to problems like anxiety, depression, and substance use.

This article discusses different cognitive distortions and how they work. It also discusses hypothetical examples to show how this kind of thinking affects behavior and what you can do to help overcome these distortions.

All-or-Nothing Thinking

All-or-nothing thinking is also known as black-and-white thinking or polarized thinking. This type of thinking involves viewing things in absolute terms: Situations are always black or white, everything or nothing, good or bad, success or failure.1

An example of all-or-nothing thinking is dwelling on mistakes and assuming you will never be able to do well, instead of acknowledging the error and trying to move past it.

One way to overtime this cognitive distortion is to recognize that success and progress are not all-or-nothing concepts. By addressing this type of thinking and replacing self-defeating thoughts, you can feel better about your progress and recognize your strengths.

Overgeneralization

Overgeneralization happens when you make a rule after a single event or a series of coincidences.2 The words "always" or "never" frequently appear in the sentence. Because you have experience with one event playing out a certain way, you assume that all future events will have the same outcome.

For example, imagine that you made a suggestion about a work project that wasn't adopted in the final work. You might overgeneralize this and assume that no one at work ever listens to you or takes you seriously.

One way to combat overgeneralization is to focus on using realistic language. Instead of saying, "I always do that!," say something such as, "That happens sometimes, but I'll try to do better next time."

Mental Filters

A mental filter is the opposite of overgeneralization, but with the same negative outcome.3 Instead of taking one small event and generalizing it inappropriately, the mental filter takes one small event and focuses on it exclusively, filtering out anything else.

For example, Nathan focuses on all of the negative or hurtful things that his partner has said or done in their relationship, but he filters all the kind and thoughtful things his partner does. This thinking contributes to feelings of negativity about his partner and their relationship.

Journaling is one strategy that might help overcome mental filtering. Make an effort to intentionally shift your focus from the negative and look for more neutral or positive aspects of a situation.

Discounting the Positive

Discounting the positive is a cognitive distortion that involves ignoring or invalidating good things that have happened to you.4 It is similar to mental filtering, but instead of simply ignoring the positives, you are actively rejecting them.

For example, Joel completes a project and receives an award for his outstanding work. Rather than feeling proud of his achievement, he attributes it to pure luck that has nothing to do with his talent and effort.

One way to overcome this cognitive distortion is to reframe how you attribute events. Instead of seeing positive outcomes as flukes, focus on noticing how your own strengths, skills, and efforts contributed to the outcome.

By having more faith in your abilities, you'll feel more empowered and less likely to experience learned helplessness, a phenomenon where people feel that they have no control over the outcome.

Jumping to Conclusions

There are two ways of jumping to conclusions:

Mind reading: When you think someone is going to react in a particular way, or you believe someone is thinking things that they aren't
Fortune telling: When you predict events will unfold in a particular way, often to avoid trying something difficult
For example, Jamie believes that he cannot stand life without heroin. Such beliefs hold him back from getting the treatment and help that he needs to successfully recover from substance use.

To overcome this cognitive distortion, take a moment to consider the facts before you make a decisions. Ask questions and challenge your initial assumptions.

Magnification

Magnification is exaggerating the importance of shortcomings and problems while minimizing the importance of desirable qualities. Similar to mental filtering and discounting the positive, this cognitive distortion involves magnifying your negative qualities while minimizing your positive ones.

For example, when something bad happens, you see this as "proof" of your own failures. But when good things happen, you minimize their importance. For example, a person addicted to pain medication might magnify the importance of eliminating all pain and exaggerate how unbearable their pain is.

To overcome magnification, focus on learning how to identify these thoughts and intentionally replacing them with more helpful, realistic ways of thinking.

Emotional Reasoning

Emotional reasoning is a way of judging yourself or your circumstances based on your emotions. This type of reasoning assumes that because you are experiencing a negative emotion, it must accurately reflect reality. If you feel experience feelings of guilt, for example, emotional reasoning would lead you to conclude that you are a bad person.

For instance, Jenna used emotional reasoning to conclude that she was a worthless person, which in turn led to binge eating.

While research has found that this distortion is common in people who have anxiety and depression, it is actually a very common way of thinking that many people engage in.5 Cognitive behavior therapy can help people recognize the signs of emotional reasoning and realize that feelings are not facts.

"Should" Statements

"Should" statements involve always thinking about things that you think you "should" or "must" do. These types of statements can make you feel worried or anxious. They can also cause you to experience guilt or a sense of failure. Because you always think you "should" be doing something, you end up feeling as if you are constantly failing.

An example: Cheryl thinks she should be able to play a song on her violin without making any mistakes. When she does make mistakes, she feels angry and upset with herself. As a result, she starts to avoid practicing her violin.

When you recognize yourself engaging in this cognitive distortion, focus on practicing self-compassion. Replace these statements with more realistic ones, and work on accepting yourself for who you are rather than who you think you should be.

Labeling

Labeling is a cognitive distortion that involves making a judgment about yourself or someone else as a person, rather than seeing the behavior as something the person did that doesn't define them as an individual.

For example, you might label yourself as a failure. You can also label other people as well. You might decide that someone is a jerk because of one interaction and continue to judge them in all future interactions through that lens with no room for redemption.

You can combat labeling by challenging the accuracy of your assumptions. Look for evidence that counters your negative thoughts. Remind yourself of the difference between opinions and facts.

Press Play for Advice On How to Be Less Judgmental

Hosted by therapist Amy Morin, LCSW, this episode of The Verywell Mind Podcast, shares how you can learn to be less judgmental. Click below to listen now.

Follow Now: Apple Podcasts / Spotify / Google Podcasts

Personalization and Blame

Personalization and blame is a cognitive distortion whereby you entirely blame yourself, or someone else, for a situation that, in reality, involved many factors that were out of your control.

For example, Anna blamed herself for her daughter's bad grade in school. Instead of trying to find out why her daughter is struggling and exploring ways to help, Anna assumes it is a sign that she is a bad mother.

When you find yourself engaging in this cognitive distortion, make a conscious effort to consider other factors that might have played a role in the situation. Instead of blaming yourself for something that happened, consider external factors or other people's actions that might have also been contributing factors.

Coping With Cognitive Distortions

Once you recognize that you are experiencing cognitive distortions, there are steps you can take to change these ways of thinking. Getting help is important, because these distorted thought patterns can seriously affect mental health and well-being. To change cognitive distortions:

Become More Aware of Your Thoughts

Try to notice the thoughts that contribute to feelings of anxiety, negativity, or depression. Practices such as journaling and mindfulness may help you build better awareness of your own thoughts.

Recognize the Effect of Cognitive Distortions

Cognitive distortions can contribute to poor decisions making, but they can also play a significant role in the onset and maintenance of mental illness and other issues. Such distortions are associated with the following:

Addiction
Anxiety, fear, and panic
Borderline personality disorder (BPD)
Depression
Feelings of hopelessness
Increased risk of suicidal thinking6
Low self-esteem
Narcissistic personality disorder (NPD)7
Poor self-efficacy
Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)8
Challenge Your Thoughts

As you recognize that distorted thoughts cause problems, it is essential to work to change them actively. It may be uncomfortable, particularly at first, but work on challenging yourself. Is there evidence that contradicts your thoughts? Are there more helpful ways of thinking about a situation?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Happy Sunday. Do we still have basic agreement on these ten precepts?

1. Democracies rest on rule of law; someone who denies the sanctity of the Constitution and serially violates our laws cannot be president.

2. Democracy cannot survive without truth, facts, science and evidence.

3. Free and fair elections are the essence of democracy, where power resides in the people.

4. Civil discourse must be the means to resolve differences; compromise is essential to governance.

5. A democratic government cannot operate without an independent, nonpartisan civil service, and subject matter expertise is essential to good government.

6. An ethical government free from corruption and self-interest is essential to our democracy.

7. The United States is the indispensable nation for international stability, economic prosperity and democracy. Our military takes an oath to the Constitution, not to a single leader.

8. Democracies require and ensure widespread prosperity. Democracies that deliver economically for citizens require a domestic calm, commitment to the rule of law and opposition to cronyism.

9. A vibrant, independent and free press is vital to democracy.

10. Equality and civil rights (“All men [and women] are created …”) are foundational to our American creed.
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 9:04 am Happy Sunday. Do we still have basic agreement on these ten precepts?

1. Democracies rest on rule of law; someone who denies the sanctity of the Constitution and serially violates our laws cannot be president.

3. Free and fair elections are the essence of democracy, where power resides in the people.

4. Civil discourse must be the means to resolve differences; compromise is essential to governance.

5. A democratic government cannot operate without an independent, nonpartisan civil service, and subject matter expertise is essential to good government.

6. An ethical government free from corruption and self-interest is essential to our democracy.

7. The United States is the indispensable nation for international stability, economic prosperity and democracy. Our military takes an oath to the Constitution, not to a single leader.

8. Democracies require and ensure widespread prosperity. Democracies that deliver economically for citizens require a domestic calm, commitment to the rule of law and opposition to cronyism.

10. Equality and civil rights (“All men [and women] are created …”) are foundational to our American creed.
I think #4 is in need of quite a bit of refinement don't you think? The " civil discourse " as of late more closely resembles uncivil anarchy. There is the possibility I'm not understanding what you mean by civil discourse.
Last edited by cradleandshoot on Sun Jul 28, 2024 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 10:28 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 9:04 am Happy Sunday. Do we still have basic agreement on these ten precepts?

I think #4 is in need of quite a bit of refinement don't you think?
As a general precept, no. What refinement would you give it?
Typical Lax Dad

Our religious wing here would disagree with this DEI guy.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 10:30 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 10:28 am

I think #4 is in need of quite a bit of refinement don't you think?
As a general precept, no. What refinement would you give it?
What exactly is civil discourse in your opinion? Am I confusing it with peaceful protests that veer into chaos? I believe an actual peaceful protest is an important aspect of civil discourse. If I were to refine it it wouldn't include angry mobs storming the nations capitol. It wouldn't involve angry mobs vandalizing statues and tearing down American flags and burning them while shouting " death to America " The operative word in civil discourse quite naturally is " civil " I'm not certain counselor that enough people are capable of grasping the civil part of discourse.
Bob Ross:
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

So in your opinion was Charlottesville peaceful protest. There were good people on both sides there. The Boston Tea Party? Klan rallies and parades? January 6 was civil protest?

You did not mention the outsiders initiating violence at otherwise peaceful protests
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

trump has been a d**k head for decades. IMO when it is your guy doing the lying and bullchiting that is okay
What trump has sadly proven is you can be that kind of person and an increasing number of voters are jiggy with it. All is fair in love, war and politics it now looks like. It has been worse in our nations history. Some political discourse was settled with dueling pistols at 10 paces. Alexander Hamilton found that out the hard way. GHWB was incorrect when he shared his vision of a kinder gentler nation. That ship sailed a long time ago possibly never to return to port. :roll:
Bob Ross:
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 11:57 am trump has been a d**k head for decades. IMO when it is your guy doing the lying and bullchiting that is okay
What trump has sadly proven is you can be that kind of person and an increasing number of voters are jiggy with it. All is fair in love, war and politics it now looks like. It has been worse in our nations history. Some political discourse was settled with dueling pistols at 10 paces. Alexander Hamilton found that out the harder. GHWB was incorrect when he shared his vision of a kinder gentler nation. That ship sailed a long time ago possibly never to return to port. :roll:
When has this country ever been kinder and gentler? The only thing we understand is a foot on the neck. You would not want me in charge.
“I wish you would!”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 11:59 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 11:57 am trump has been a d**k head for decades. IMO when it is your guy doing the lying and bullchiting that is okay
What trump has sadly proven is you can be that kind of person and an increasing number of voters are jiggy with it. All is fair in love, war and politics it now looks like. It has been worse in our nations history. Some political discourse was settled with dueling pistols at 10 paces. Alexander Hamilton found that out the harder. GHWB was incorrect when he shared his vision of a kinder gentler nation. That ship sailed a long time ago possibly never to return to port. :roll:
When has this country ever been kinder and gentler? The only thing we understand is a foot on the neck. You would not want me in charge.
That was GHWBs vision. I'm now 66 years old and kinder and gentler has never been something I've seen all that much. When my kids were little kinder and gentler was what Mr Rogers Neighborhood was all about. That's about as close as I remember in real life. Wait I have to add Bob Ross into the equation. My wife always pokes fun at me when I watch The Joy of Painting. I wish I had the demeanor of Bob Ross. We do both an unending love of animals.
Bob Ross:
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 12:14 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 11:59 am
That was GHWBs vision. I'm now 66 years old and kinder and gentler has never been something I've seen all that much. When my kids were little kinder and gentler was what Mr Rogers Neighborhood was all about. That's about as close as I remember in real life. Wait I have to add Bob Ross into the equation. My wife always pokes fun at me when I watch The Joy of Painting. I wish I had the demeanor of Bob Ross. We do both an unending love of animals.
You are delusional.
“I wish you would!”
WaffleTwineFaceoff

Post by WaffleTwineFaceoff »

All well and good except "While often categorized as a democracy, the United States is more accurately defined as a constitutional federal republic." (lifted from our federal government's website). Weren't the founders exceedingly wary of democracies? Would not our current state of affairs convince them their worst fears are being realized? Why are politicians today so relentless about using the D word (democracy) instead of the R word (republic)?

And what have we seen (more glaringly than ever in the last decade) that suggests once a punitive-minded democratic majority (initially principled but devolved into a semblance of what we see today - both sides) gains power that they won't weaponize against their opposition, and engage in activities with the sole purpose of consolidating and extending rule/power?

Now and again I read what I feel is an excellent Cliffs Notes history and "how we got here" essay from 2011 on the whole Democracy vs. Republic thing. The only thing that's out of date is how much worse things have gotten between 2011 and today.

https://www.cato.org/commentary/democra ... us-liberty

I do understand your post put forth an earnest intention and desire for more productive and connective dialogues. Against the backdrop of today's worsening, more toxic, and more divided than ever before social, political and economic American landscape, I am left to wonder if we'll ever break free of bunkered and punishment minded discourse (ie: Democratic rule but with a resentful, reptilian brain).

Of your list above, #9 left the building before most of us were born!

Certainly a good Sunday coffee food for thought list.
The only freedom which deserves the name is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. John Stuart Mill On Liberty 1859

Return to “POLITICS”