The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: 2024

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

old salt wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 11:27 pm
jhu72 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 1:36 pm .... a democratic voter poll has chosen Mark Kelly by a 2:1 margin over the field, as the most desirable VP candidate.
He could be the President if you nominated him.
I figured that’s what you and people like you would say. Kamala could be President also. They picked her instead. Maybe she will give him an opportunity.
“I wish you would!”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 9:23 am
jhu72 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 1:36 pm .... a democratic voter poll has chosen Mark Kelly by a 2:1 margin over the field, as the most desirable VP candidate.
I figured that’s what you and people like you would say. Kamala could be President also. They picked her instead. Maybe she will give him an opportunity.
Right you are. The Republicans and Democrats have pretty much made up their minds. VP Harris has to win over those 25% of Independent voters. That is her challenge.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 9:31 am
Right you are. The Republicans and Democrats have pretty much made up their minds. VP Harris has to win over those 25% of Independent voters. That is her challenge.
Who knows.
“I wish you would!”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 9:54 am
Who knows.
Exactly, who knows this campaign for president hasn't even left the gate yet? I know a few on this forum are huge aficionados of polling data. I don't really put much weight into any poll data at this stage of the game. I have to admit I'm a huge Bills fan and a bit of an NFL junkie. I start looking at Walter Football for their NFL draft predictions around January. It's always interesting to me who the Bills next number one pick might be. The picture constantly changes all the way up until draft day. Whether it's politics or football it is fun to speculate.
Bob Ross:
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

This notion of "independents" is bunk. They just don't have the strength of their convictions to allow them to publicly state them. Fence-sitters. Pusillanimous twats. Attention seekers. From what I see of a limited data set (news media interviews), this group is not marked by deep and critical thought.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

PizzaSnake wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 10:09 am
This notion of "independents" is bunk. They just don't have the strength of their convictions to allow them to publicly state them. Fence-sitters. Pusillanimous twats. Attention seekers. From what I see of a limited data set (news media interviews), this group is not marked by deep and critical thought.
I'm an independent I have several friends who are independent voters. Not a one of us has made up our minds yet. Kamala Harris has a golden opportunity to state her case to the American people. The ball will be in her court after the Democratic convention when the campaigns kick into overdrive.
FTR I have no problems with my convictions. As of today they don't exactly dovetail with what the Rs and the Ds have put forward to this date.
Bob Ross:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Maybe and the time I want but still not convinced she would’ve won a primary and that’s my only issue.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I think you have less monolithic behavior in the independent cohort and a wider distribution.
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 10:31 am
Maybe and the time I want but still not convinced she would’ve won a primary and that’s my only issue.
I don’t care. Who ever thought Trump would win a primary. Water under the bridge. The Dems are always held to a hiher standard….my attitude now, F ‘em and their BS false equivalencies. I will get back to normal after Trump is gone.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

I don’t care. Whoever would have thought Trump would win the primary. Water under the bridge. Dems are always held to a higher standard. My attitude is now Fkcu them. If you can’t beat them at their game, join them. …. Stole 2 Supreme Court seats and Joe drops out late and is replaced by Kamala is a big F deal. Sick and tired of the false equivalencies. “Let the people decide”…. I will get back to normal post Trump.
“I wish you would!”
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Yes
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 10:33 am
I think you have less monolithic behavior in the independent cohort and a wider distribution.
The reality is that there are two choices, and unfortunately, they both scuk, to some degree. So, make up your mind. Don't like this reality, then change it. The time to start that is now, but it will have zero impact on the next election. There's a reason that there are two "choices" that look remarkably similar. Nothing like the illusion of freewill and choice to keep passions in check and increase predictability and continuity.

You have no freewill. Every decision you "make" has been pre-determined by the course of your entire life, the things you learned, the experiences you've had, the people you've met, the lessons you've learned. Most everything we do is extremely predictable given our histories. My favorite part of some religions is this inversion and suggestion that we do have freewill. We don't, at least not in meaningful and determinative ways. Evidently, doublespeak and cognitive dissonance are indeed longstanding human behaviors.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/83817782-determined

Some people find hallucinogens and psychedelics compelling because they allow for a momentary opportunity to escape our carefully crafted personal reality (we're all doing a lifetime "stretch" in solitary), and some, with delicate and fragile senses of self, find them anathema. The more interesting traditions are those that define enlightenment as a glimpse of the larger reality that exists outside the bounds of our prisons, i.e. Buddhism. All of the Abrahamic faiths are just crutches for the weak-minded or bonds for those with inclinations towards self-direction. The iconoclast is reviled, and the adherent is glorified.

As one might imagine, this sort of freedom is not encouraged by a system predicated upon our predictability and often, no, nearly always, eradicated, leaf, stem and root. Patriarchies are preferred because men tend to be stupid and easily manipulated, making social control easier given the high incidence of the Dunning-Kruger effect.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
ggait

Post by ggait »

FYI, most independents vote like partisans. Call them leaners. I’m a registered independent. Because I don’t love either party. Pre Trump, I voted about 65D and 35R. Post Trump, it is more like 95/5.

So when you account for independent leaners like me, the number of true independents (in terms of actual voting behavior) is about 5-7% of the electorate. And that group is a hodgepodge of folks who believe all kinds of different things.

The entire object of the billions spent on the campaigns is trying to reach the 100k true indies that reside in just six states. It really is a dumb way to run a democracy.

Interstate Compact Act please.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 10:59 am
I don’t care. Whoever would have thought Trump would win the primary. Water under the bridge. Dems are always held to a higher standard. My attitude is now Fkcu them. If you can’t beat them at their game, join them. …. Stole 2 Supreme Court seats and Joe drops out late and is replaced by Kamala is a big F deal. Sick and tired of the false equivalencies. “Let the people decide”…. I will get back to normal post Trump.
I know but I took my mask off a few years ago not looking to put one back on.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PizzaSnake wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 11:27 am
The reality is that there are two choices, and unfortunately, they both scuk, to some degree. So, make up your mind. Don't like this reality, then change it. The time to start that is now, but it will have zero impact on the next election. There's a reason that there are two "choices" that look remarkably similar. Nothing like the illusion of freewill and choice to keep passions in check and increase predictability and continuity.

You have no freewill. Every decision you "make" has been pre-determined by the course of your entire life, the things you learned, the experiences you've had, the people you've met, the lessons you've learned. Most everything we do is extremely predictable given our histories. My favorite part of some religions is this inversion and suggestion that we do have freewill. We don't, at least not in meaningful and determinative ways. Evidently, doublespeak and cognitive dissonance are indeed longstanding human behaviors.

Some people find hallucinogens and psychedelics compelling because they allow for a momentary opportunity to escape our carefully crafted personal reality (we're all doing a lifetime "stretch" in solitary), and some, with delicate and fragile senses of self, find them anathema. The more interesting traditions are those that define enlightenment as a glimpse of the larger reality that exists outside the bounds of our prisons, i.e. Buddhism. All of the Abrahamic faiths are just crutches for the weak-minded or bonds for those with inclinations towards self-direction. The iconoclast is reviled, and the adherent is glorified.

As one might imagine, this sort of freedom is not encouraged by a system predicated upon our predictability and often, no, nearly always, eradicated, leaf, stem and root. Patriarchies are preferred because men tend to be stupid and easily manipulated, making social control easier given the high incidence of the Dunning-Kruger effect.
I’ve tried mushrooms and Buddhism.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PizzaSnake wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 11:27 am

Try this guy out

https://iep.utm.edu/husspemb/
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 12:03 pm
It’s outrageous. What’s good for the GOP is to have this drag out….Hope Harris is damaged or beaten in whatever form of a beauty contest is held. Joe dropping out is bad for Trump. Put some generic candidate out there instead of Kamala is actually good for Trump. Put The Rock on the ticket. A lot of people like him. Taylor Swift and Beyonce are doing fundraising concerts. I am going to make a political donation for the first time in my life along with some friends who have never donated either. We all made the decision independently😂😂😂. Folk were resigned to Trump being re-elected, but now its “game on” as Old Soldier is fond of saying.
“I wish you would!”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

ggait wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 11:33 am FYI, most independents vote like partisans. Call them leaners. I’m a registered independent. Because I don’t love either party. Pre Trump, I voted about 65D and 35R. Post Trump, it is more like 95/5.

So when you account for independent leaners like me, the number of true independents (in terms of actual voting behavior) is about 5-7% of the electorate. And that group is a hodgepodge of folks who believe all kinds of different things.

The entire object of the billions spent on the campaigns is trying to reach the 100k true indies that reside in just six states. It really is a dumb way to run a democracy.

Interstate Compact Act please.
I could never debate you in a million years when it comes to statistics or trends in the world of politics. I do believe how Kamala Harris presents herself in the coming months will determine if she wins. The Republican apparatus will be throwing everything at her up to and including the kitchen sink.
Bob Ross:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 12:13 pm
It’s outrageous. What’s good for the GOP is to have this drag out….Hope Harris is damaged or beaten in whatever form of a beauty contest is held. Joe dropping out is bad for Trump. Put some generic candidate out there instead of Kamala is actually good for Trump. Put The Rock on the ticket. A lot of people like him. Taylor Swift and Beyonce are doing fundraising concerts. I am going to make a political donation for the first time in my life along with some friends who have never donated either. We all made the decision independently😂😂😂. Folk were resigned to Trump being re-elected, but now its “game on” as Old Soldier is fond of saying.
It is game on for certain. I remember reading those books in high school titled the making of the president in regards to the relevant presidential election year. I could only imagine how a book written and titled The Making of the President 2024 would read? Certainly not like those books I read way back in high school.
Bob Ross:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 12:13 pm
I would go stone cold Steve Austin over the rock personally. Rowdy Roddy Piper would’ve been the best of them.

I’m prepared for anything now so have lost much passion. Kind of like markets I love all these folks who cheerlead markets going up rather than be pragmatic and position oneself for all outcomes.

Return to “POLITICS”