Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

You’d be better off drinking a dose of The Mighty Q - NyQuil, instead of reading anything the lesser Q writes.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

molo wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:06 pm I agree that there is certainly room for advancement. Q has a couple of PL teams ranked fairly high. Are they that much better than Hopkins? Both the teams that I follow most closely jettisoned coaches who had presided over declines towards the end of their tenure. At UVA, the new coach had one year of no playoffs, made the playoffs the next year. losing in the first round in a marathon delayed by rain, and won the NC the following year. This year, they are ranked in the top ten by most and in the top four by some. Clearly, the new coach in a period of a couple of years has restored a once proud program to it "rightful" level. Whether or not they make the ff this year, they have at least emerged as a serious contender after being the ACC doormat under the former coach.
Can Hopkins get back into the top ten this year? Making the NCAAT should not be an unrealistic expectation given that the Ivy League is probably out. Are the Jays in a class with the ACC, Maryland, Penn State, and Denver? Maybe not. Should they be better than the PL and the SO Con teams that Q has ranked above them?
Blue Jays are a solid top 10 to 15 team. They will be strong at attack, and solid in goal and faceoffs. They have talented players at midfield and on defense, but lack the depth of top Final Four contenders at those positions. A finish in the NCAA quarterfinals would be a very solid season for this year’s team.

Don’t know what Quint has against the new coaching regime. Puzzling .

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:23 pm
molo wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:06 pm I agree that there is certainly room for advancement. Q has a couple of PL teams ranked fairly high. Are they that much better than Hopkins? Both the teams that I follow most closely jettisoned coaches who had presided over declines towards the end of their tenure. At UVA, the new coach had one year of no playoffs, made the playoffs the next year. losing in the first round in a marathon delayed by rain, and won the NC the following year. This year, they are ranked in the top ten by most and in the top four by some. Clearly, the new coach in a period of a couple of years has restored a once proud program to it "rightful" level. Whether or not they make the ff this year, they have at least emerged as a serious contender after being the ACC doormat under the former coach.
Can Hopkins get back into the top ten this year? Making the NCAAT should not be an unrealistic expectation given that the Ivy League is probably out. Are the Jays in a class with the ACC, Maryland, Penn State, and Denver? Maybe not. Should they be better than the PL and the SO Con teams that Q has ranked above them?
Blue Jays are a solid top 10 to 15 team. They will be strong at attack, and solid in goal and faceoffs. They have talented players at midfield and on defense, but lack the depth of top Final Four contenders at those positions. A finish in the NCAA quarterfinals would be a very solid season for this year’s team.

I do. He wasn’t considered for the job.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Missed his calling as an interior redecorator.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Preseason Hopkins in Big10 is 5th? I don’t see how any higher. If you listened to inside lacrosse podcast , Q’s concern w Hopkins is the defense and lack of shortys. Even without the Ivy, you have 5 ACC teams, 4 of 5 Big10, 2 Big East - GT & Denver, better then Hopkins out of the gate . They should be 15-20 preseason w HP, Richmond, Army, UMASS.
jhu08

Post by jhu08 »

Mr3Putt wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:47 am Even without the Ivy, you have 5 ACC teams, 4 of 5 Big10, 2 Big East - GT & Denver, better then Hopkins out of the gate . They should be 15-20 preseason w HP, Richmond, Army, UMASS.
One of these things is not like the others. Everything else I basically agree with - although I think Hopkins vs. Rutgers in the preseason rankings is a reasonable debate.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu08 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:03 am
Mr3Putt wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:47 am Even without the Ivy, you have 5 ACC teams, 4 of 5 Big10, 2 Big East - GT & Denver, better then Hopkins out of the gate . They should be 15-20 preseason w HP, Richmond, Army, UMASS.
One of these things is not like the others. Everything else I basically agree with - although I think Hopkins vs. Rutgers in the preseason rankings is a reasonable debate.
The Rutgers optimism on this board is off the charts...it's going to look either very smart or very not smart in a few months. How it's become a fait accompli that they will be better than the Jays is simply beyond me. They had the same record last year: 2-4. The year before that, they were not very good. Some optimism is warranted with the addition of Kirst from Villanova and the offensive guys they bring back (Charalambides, Mullins, etc.). But this is also a team that hasn't beaten Hopkins or finished higher in the conference than the Jays since 2016. Could this be the year they do both? Absolutely! But I'm not quite sure how one cannot even envision a scenario in which Hopkins finishes ahead of Rutgers this year. There have been 5 complete Big Ten seasons and Hop has been the better team in 4 of them.

In other news, I'm hearing a Big Ten schedule is imminent.
jhu08

Post by jhu08 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:15 am Could this be the year they do both? Absolutely! But I'm not quite sure how one cannot even envision a scenario in which Hopkins finishes ahead of Rutgers this year.

In other news, I'm hearing a Big Ten schedule is imminent.

Yeah, I agree. I personally think Hopkins looks better on paper than Rutgers does for this upcoming season, but I think it's close enough that I'm not going to tell someone who thinks the opposite how crazy they are. I think those will be two competitive games that could go either way. I know the games aren't played on paper for a reason, but on my paper anyway it's something like:
Maryland >> Penn State >? Ohio State > Hopkins ~>= Rutgers >> Michigan as how this season looks heading into it. Maryland is the only team that I think looks so far ahead of Hopkins that I don't think we can play with them consistently (as in, if we played Maryland ten times, I think we might win maybe two of those this year). But likewise, we're not so far ahead of anyone else either that I don't think it's infeasible that we could have a really bad record at the end of the year if things don't break our way.

The question mark on Penn State is how they are without Ament, and I'm not really sure about that. I haven't been as in love with what PSU was doing the last two years as most in the lacrosse world seemed to be, anyway. They were flashy offensively and got a lot of attention, but I never felt like they were the world-beaters that a lot of people acted like they were in 2019.

I'm looking forward to seeing our schedule, and hoping that the conference has done a better job of spacing out the games against the same teams than I have seen from some other conferences. Scheduling the same two teams to play each other in back-to-back weeks makes no sense.
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

flalax22 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:59 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:23 pm

I do. He wasn’t considered for the job.

I've often wondered when Q the K's snarkiness / animosity toward the Jays began...
I agree with Doc's conclusion. At no time was Q considered for any position with the Jays and the burr under his saddle continues to fester !
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

jhu08 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:03 am
-we should be playing this weekend like "peer institution" duke. From the outset the nerds at 3400 N charles have slow played this and it's been disappointing at a time when the rest of the world has learned how to do this (except the ivy league) and move forward.
-I hate to break it to the acc but if you finish last in your conference you don't deserve to make an ncaa tournament. Not every acc school can go 5-1 in conference. Even a cuse newhouse school grad can do that math.
-Quint can be tart, but he's a great ambassador for the sport and I love the success he and carc have had at espn.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:14 pm -we should be playing this weekend like "peer institution" duke. From the outset the nerds at 3400 N charles have slow played this and it's been disappointing at a time when the rest of the world has learned how to do this (except the ivy league) and move forward.
LOL you have no idea what the f*ck you're talking about.

Hopkins has been trying to schedule out-of-conference games before the start of Big Ten play later this month, but the program is beholden to the conference's unique testing protocol, which many other teams cannot meet. Your issue is with the conference, not "3400 N. Charles." Take it up with Kevin Warren.

Nothing has been slow played whatsoever. The team started practicing weeks ago, well before many other schools, including Syracuse, which just started yesterday. Milliman has been sending out emails with updates on the team's progress. Everything is full steam ahead. I guess they took you off that list.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

easily the best chance to have every acc team in the nc$$ since they had 4 squads. it'll be interesting what notre dame does with their schedule. they typically had low # of games and were b1g heavy.

if they can't get the teams scheduled, they may need to both win close to half of acc games and not trip up ooc.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:21 pm
jhu06 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:14 pm -we should be playing this weekend like "peer institution" duke. From the outset the nerds at 3400 N charles have slow played this and it's been disappointing at a time when the rest of the world has learned how to do this (except the ivy league) and move forward.

Hopkins has been trying to schedule out-of-conference games before the start of Big Ten play later this month, but the program is beholden to the conference's unique testing protocol, which many other teams cannot meet. Your issue is with the conference, not "3400 N. Charles." Take it up with Kevin Warren.

Nothing has been slow played whatsoever. The team started practicing weeks ago, well before many other schools, including Syracuse, which just started yesterday. Milliman has been sending out emails with updates on the team's progress. Everything is full steam ahead. I guess they took you off that list.
do they think ooc is still a possibility?
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

maryland basketball played our ooc lacrosse schedule w/out incident, this is not on kevin warren and the rest of the b1g played this fall. Yes I'm not on the list that's what the school has a communications staff, 3 lacrosse twitter handles and multiple publications for.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:24 pm

It's looking unlikely at this point—for every B1G team, not just Hopkins—which is something jhu06 is having trouble understanding apparently. As you've pointed out, Hop would likely benefit RPI-wise from some OOC play, so they very much would like to schedule one or two of them (especially if they're against a good team like Loyola) if possible, but it's out of the school's control. Last I heard they were trying to make something work with the team up the street but again that depends on their ability to expand testing, because the B1G is reportedly not budging an inch.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:30 pm

It's looking unlikely at this point—for every B1G team, not just Hopkins—which is something jhu06 is having trouble understanding apparently. As you've pointed out, Hop would likely benefit RPI-wise from some OOC play, so they very much would like to schedule one or two of them (especially if they're against a good team like Loyola) if possible, but it's out of the school's control. Last I heard they were trying to make something work with the team up the street but again that depends on their ability to expand testing, because the B1G is reportedly not budging an inch.
this should've been fleshed out last summer when the b1g figured out football and the school should be communicating this through staff and news reports (respectfully) not fan blog correspondents.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:33 pm this should've been fleshed out last summer when the b1g figured out football and the school should be communicating this through staff and news reports (respectfully) not fan blog correspondents.
Again, your issue is with the conference, not the school, and the reason they aren't communicating this publicly is because there is nothing to communicate. You will see a schedule soon. The holdup is on the conference's end. Do you think it's just a coincidence that no Big Ten schools have posted lacrosse schedules yet?
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

the season started last week, the b1g started football last august, what are homewood and rosemont confused on? The school has spent a year honoring its covid work, and they can't organize a lacrosse match?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:42 pm the season started last week, the b1g started football last august, what are homewood and rosemont confused on? The school has spent a year honoring its covid work, and they can't organize a lacrosse match?
Homewood is not confused about anything, they literally cannot post the schedule until it is approved by the conference. There is a reason none of the Big Ten schedules have come out yet. They need conference approval. I don't know what the Big Ten is waiting on. You'll have to ask them. But the hold up has nothing to do with the Hopkins.

It's cute to see you keep moving the goal posts on this. First you accused them of not having a plan to play and that there wouldn't be a season solely because you hadn't personally heard about one yet. Now that it's clear they are going to play, you're...complaining they should communicate that fact better? I'm not completely sure. We've known for over a month they were going to play and now we're just waiting to see the official schedule, which, again, is pending conference approval.
bananas

Post by bananas »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:30 pm

Wouldn't BIG conference agree to JHU playing Loyola if Greyhounds agree to b10 testing protocol for that week leading up to contest?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”