Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by HopFan16 »

DenverJay wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:57 pm FYI for all those who have stated, suggested, ranted the administration--specifically President Daniels--does not support the lacrosse program I have been told by someone who knows that he has been at several (all?) of the home games this year. Further, he is enthused with the energy and excitement of the team and the positive way the coaches conduct themselves on the sidelines. Some have relentlessly based Daniels for not supporting the team and for getting rid of Petro, but no one ever put forth any facts to support this narrative. Hopefully, those who worshipped at the altar of Petro have accepted it was (past) time for him to leave and have been able to move on with their life.
He was at the UVA game. Not everyday you see a university president spend his Tuesday afternoon at a lacrosse game
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:06 pm
DenverJay wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:57 pm FYI for all those who have stated, suggested, ranted the administration--specifically President Daniels--does not support the lacrosse program I have been told by someone who knows that he has been at several (all?) of the home games this year. Further, he is enthused with the energy and excitement of the team and the positive way the coaches conduct themselves on the sidelines. Some have relentlessly based Daniels for not supporting the team and for getting rid of Petro, but no one ever put forth any facts to support this narrative. Hopefully, those who worshipped at the altar of Petro have accepted it was (past) time for him to leave and have been able to move on with their life.
He was at the UVA game. Not everyday you see a university president spend his Tuesday afternoon at a lacrosse game
Not bad for a guy who runs a university with operating revenues of over $7.4 billion and net assets of over $13.2 billion.

https://finance.jhu.edu/reports_guides/ ... rt2022.pdf

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:32 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:06 pm
Not bad for a guy who runs a university with operating revenues of over $7.4 billion and net assets of over $13.2 billion.

https://finance.jhu.edu/reports_guides/ ... rt2022.pdf

DocBarrister
I have posted that Daniels support for the program is probably as strong as say the President of Cornell. I have also posted it is measurably less than previous presidents and that the president’s support had always bern viewed as part of our value proposition.

Amusing the attendance at a game is supposed to represent something it took far too long to actualize.

Looking forwsrd to the symbolic leading to the concrete.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

OCanada wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:00 pm I have also posted it is measurably less than previous presidents and that the president’s support had always bern viewed as part of our value proposition.

Amusing the attendance at a game is supposed to represent something it took far too long to actualize.

Looking forwsrd to the symbolic leading to the concrete.
O'C - I am really not trying to be a jerk and am trying desperately to understand this but you have used the term "value proposition" before and I simply do not know what that means. Currently, that sounds as soft as marshmallows on top of a goose down pillow. How does the Johns Hopkins President add value to the men's lacrosse program? Are recruits supposed to come see him? Is he supposed to be calling donors for money specifically related to lacrosse? I can't figure it out because "Concrete" to me means money - and did he not personally authorize $500,000 to match donations to the Schnydman Scolarship Fund when Jerry passed which is for a lacrosse player? Have not facilities - except for the infamous "bubble" improved dramatically relative to where they were at Hopkins? What is more concrete than that? BTW - that also seems to fly in the face of this destruction of the D1 program as $500K puts one lacrosse player though somewhere between 3-4 years at the school. I also swear I read somewhere - maybe in an old issue of the Hopkins magazine probably - that he took some younger alumni's funds in that was targeted for lacrosse but I can't produce it.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

DenverJay wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:57 pm FYI for all those who have stated, suggested, ranted the administration--specifically President Daniels--does not support the lacrosse program I have been told by someone who knows that he has been at several (all?) of the home games this year. Further, he is enthused with the energy and excitement of the team and the positive way the coaches conduct themselves on the sidelines.
I don’t know who your source is but was that point made to suggest they didn’t like Petro, his personality and sideline behavior?

I remember being roasted for even suggesting that before. I maintain that firing had zip to do with wins and losses and everything to do with personality conflicts.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

flalax22 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:41 pm
DenverJay wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:57 pm FYI for all those who have stated, suggested, ranted the administration--specifically President Daniels--does not support the lacrosse program I have been told by someone who knows that he has been at several (all?) of the home games this year. Further, he is enthused with the energy and excitement of the team and the positive way the coaches conduct themselves on the sidelines.
I don’t know who your source is but was that point made to suggest they didn’t like Petro, his personality and sideline behavior?

I remember being roasted for even suggesting that before. I maintain that firing had zip to do with wins and losses and everything to do with personality conflicts.
More like both. If Petro was competing for national titles and regularly making FF, then you live with the personality conflicts but if you aren't successful then...
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

steel_hop wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:22 pm
flalax22 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:41 pm

More like both. If Petro was competing for national titles and regularly making FF, then you live with the personality conflicts but if you aren't successful then...
I used to think that but from what I’ve learned Shanahan/ Baker had zero intentions of extending Petro and Daniels was absolutely on board regardless of potential renewed on field success. Covid/no Covid/National Championships he wasn’t making it past the spring of 2020
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Disagree. I don't remember anybody "roasting" anybody. It's been well positioned that Petro and Daniels were likely not breaking bruschetta down at Sammy's together. 2013 had alot to do with it. It is also a fact that Petro's sideline behavior was not great - if you sat near the Hopkins bench you could hear everything. But SteelHop is 1000% correct - it's a combo effect. If he was still winning 78% or something thereabouts like he did between 2001 and 2008 and in the quarters every year and some final 4s in some - the alumni support would have been significant and he would still be there if he wanted to be. Having that percentage drop to something closer to 55% with one final four since '08 - the 4 worst play-off losses in Hopkins history (UVA '09, Duke '10, Brown '16, Duke '17) - a 1-4 NCAA playoff record since '15 and a 2-4 record in '20 with the only wins against an 0-6 Towson team and a OT thriller against the Mt had a very important role in the end result.
a fan

Post by a fan »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:31 pm Disagree. I don't remember anybody "roasting" anybody. It's been well positioned that Petro and Daniels were likely not breaking bruschetta down at Sammy's together. 2013 had alot to do with it. It is also a fact that Petro's sideline behavior was not great - if you sat near the Hopkins bench you could hear everything. But SteelHop is 1000% correct - it's a combo effect. If he was still winning 78% or something thereabouts like he did between 2001 and 2008 and in the quarters every year and some final 4s in some - the alumni support would have been significant and he would still be there if he wanted to be. Having that percentage drop to something closer to 55% with one final four since '08 - the 4 worst play-off losses in Hopkins history (UVA '09, Duke '10, Brown '16, Duke '17) - a 1-4 NCAA playoff record since '15 and a 2-4 record in '20 with the only wins against an 0-6 Towson team and a OT thriller against the Mt had a very important role in the end result.
They fired Seaman after two straight 10-4 seasons with QF finishes. And Zim, well......
NovaLax17

Post by NovaLax17 »

a fan wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:59 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:31 pm Disagree. I don't remember anybody "roasting" anybody. It's been well positioned that Petro and Daniels were likely not breaking bruschetta down at Sammy's together. 2013 had alot to do with it. It is also a fact that Petro's sideline behavior was not great - if you sat near the Hopkins bench you could hear everything. But SteelHop is 1000% correct - it's a combo effect. If he was still winning 78% or something thereabouts like he did between 2001 and 2008 and in the quarters every year and some final 4s in some - the alumni support would have been significant and he would still be there if he wanted to be. Having that percentage drop to something closer to 55% with one final four since '08 - the 4 worst play-off losses in Hopkins history (UVA '09, Duke '10, Brown '16, Duke '17) - a 1-4 NCAA playoff record since '15 and a 2-4 record in '20 with the only wins against an 0-6 Towson team and a OT thriller against the Mt had a very important role in the end result.
They fired Seaman after two straight 10-4 seasons with QF finishes. And Zim, well......
....with a overall record of 73 wins and 15 losses? Why was he fired? I recall the story, but not the reason. Too busy back then.
a fan

Post by a fan »

NovaLax17 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:13 pm
a fan wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:59 pm
....with a overall record of 73 wins and 15 losses? Why was he fired? I recall the story, but not the reason. Too busy back then.
My understanding was that he was canned because they thought he wouldn't couldn't get them Championships, and that was the bar.

But I'd ask the Hop fans, because I'm just repeating what I heard at the time.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Fla is correct Petro was not going to be there regardless.

Neither Tony nor Zim was replaced bcs of their record or championships.

Does no one recall Haus coaching

I am not sure what “alums” are being referred to here.

As an aside Daniels has done a good job utilizing the more than 4 billion Michael has given Hopkins but it is not as if MB was not going to be a mega donor in any event as long as the relationship worked. The Trustees certainly agree with the job he is doing.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

OCanada wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:58 pm Fla is correct Petro was not going to be there regardless.

Neither Tony nor Zim was replaced bcs of their record or championships.

Does no one recall Haus coaching
I recall Haus coaching but he left of his own accord, ostensibly, to take the Carolina job, which had opened up.
Tony was snake-bit and had terrible luck. He had a great team in '95 but couldn't finish. His '94 team was good but had the worst luck with injuries etc in the QF's, losing to eventual NC Princeton in OT. He had a lead in that game with one minute to go. I think he was maybe too nice a guy.
It must have been hard to fire a coach with three national championships. The program would have been better off if he had stayed. Other coaches still revere him today.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

He would not have stayed.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

OCanada wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:58 pm Fla is correct Petro was not going to be there regardless.
So let me play a silly hypothetical - Tinney avoids his issue - Reed/Concannon/Supinski do not wreck their knees - Brown and Shack are not hobbled by injuries that you once reported could have earned them redshirts but they played because of all the other injuries and Hopkins - at one time one of the preseason favorites hoists the Gold trophy in 2016 instead of that disaster of a season. Then in 2018 - instead of the LSM bobbling the ball out of bounds on the ensuing face-off after the Duke lead had been cut to 1 - he picks it up and Hopkins continues their momentum all the way to another Final 4. So you are telling me after 1 Title - 3 out of 4 Final Fours - a healthy Epstein on the way in '19 - recruiting likely picking up with the success that Petro is absolutely/unequivacably 100% gone in '20? Maybe you're right - but I can't imagine the firestorm that would have ensued since he made it clear he wanted to keep the job and I am skeptical. Again, conceding that the adminsitration and Petro were not having brats and beers in the backyard and you know what alums I am referring to - two of them have last names that begin with "C".
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:15 am
So let me play a silly hypothetical - Tinney avoids his issue - Reed/Concannon/Supinski do not wreck their knees - Brown and Shack are not hobbled by injuries that you once reported could have earned them redshirts but they played because of all the other injuries and Hopkins - at one time one of the preseason favorites hoists the Gold trophy in 2016 instead of that disaster of a season. Then in 2018 - instead of the LSM bobbling the ball out of bounds on the ensuing face-off after the Duke lead had been cut to 1 - he picks it up and Hopkins continues their momentum all the way to another Final 4. So you are telling me after 1 Title - 3 out of 4 Final Fours - a healthy Epstein on the way in '19 - recruiting likely picking up with the success that Petro is absolutely/unequivacably 100% gone in '20? Maybe you're right - but I can't imagine the firestorm that would have ensued since he made it clear he wanted to keep the job and I am skeptical. Again, conceding that the adminsitration and Petro were not having brats and beers in the backyard and you know what alums I am referring to - two of them have last names that begin with "C".
Is Hopkins lacrosse better off today without Petro than it was 3 years ago with him? Yes.

Squeeze the orange juice.

Next.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

I know this is hypothetical and while it seems crazy with that hypothetical success, the answer is yes. They were moving on from Petro and were prepared for the firestorm. Let’s remember life coaches/professional development coaches were hired. Lacrosse advisory boards formed. (These weren’t Petro initiatives) These weren’t there to support the coach they were put in place to assist in the exit.
a fan

Post by a fan »

jhu06 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:18 pm
Is Hopkins lacrosse better off today without Petro than it was 3 years ago with him? Yes.
I think you’re forgetting that Petro made the playoffs his last five years.

So unless making the playoffs isn’t a goal for Hopkins anymore?
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

a fan wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:54 pm

I don't think anyone would call 08-2020 a success.
a fan

Post by a fan »

jhu06 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:56 pm
a fan wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:54 pm

I don't think anyone would call 08-2020 a success.
Or the last two seasons.

But this season might very well get you to the NCAA's. I think it starts today. Best of luck.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”